A true achievement of the blender's skill is evident in Tom's creation of My Reserve. A mixture that will tantalize the palate with great expectations. Red and stoved Virginia create depth of flavor.

BrandMcCranie's
Strength
None Detected, Extremely Mild
Taste

I am updating my review as I saw this blend reviewed recently by a fellow member. I pulled out some of my remaining batch of this and lit up.

My impressions are pretty much the same. This one does not bite unless puffed rapidly, can be smoked all day and night with no "heavy palate" feel, and is super rich and full in the flavor department. Whatever crop this one came from, fertilize that field and plant more! A crowning achievement type of smoking material, for sure!

Michael N. Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Michael N. (10)

I've smoked pipe since late 1970's. Started with the fruity, sweet, room friendly type of tobac. Unsatisfied with the smoking experience, I switched to Cigars in the very late 1980's. A good, worth smoking, cigar became way too expensive. AND, I missed caressing the briar too. Going back, I settled on Dunhill Night Cap, until I was introduced to SG's Commonwealth. About a year ago I was convinced to explore straight VA's & other ( non-aromatic ) VA's. I'm still a long way off from narrowing it to three top one's, which I like to do: But, My Reserve is definitely in the top five, so far. I'll certainly be buying more.

Pipe Used: Peterson, Il Ceppo, Radice, Becker, Ferndown

Age When Smoked: fresh bulk.

Purchased From: McCranie's, on net.

Similar Blends: I do not have the experience to realize a similarity of other Brands/Blends..

RyeWhiskey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RyeWhiskey (43)
Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Bulk form, it's a decent Virginia. The strands look nice, smells a bit like a McClelland since they blend it for McCranies. It has a decent price, and like it was stated, reminded me alot of 'First Light'. The two are very similiar, but slightly different somehow. They even look the same in appearance pretty much.

It's an ok smoke, has a nice waft going that doesn't bother people. It is pleasant enough for a time, but then becomes bland. I wouldn't smoke it over and over and enjoy it all the time like others I could.

Don't smoke fast, it will bite you. Smokes down with no wetness for me. It's a decent tobacco, nothing fancy.

SunriseBoy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SunriseBoy (16)
Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

Without any fear of contradiction, this is one of the finest crafted products on the market. However, in the taste department I'm gobsmacked that the blender felt taste was not important. Almost zero taste. Maybe I'm exagerating, but it is extremely "over" mild in that factor. It's the very best crafted tobacco of any I have in my collection. Burns well. No relights. No dottle. Excellent. Couldn't ask for a better burning tobacco. Brilliantly presented, but a fail in the taste department, which, at least I would have thought, was actually important.

Pipe Used: Cob

Age When Smoked: ?

Purchased From: McCranies

Similar Blends: I don't do comparisons..

Mild None Detected Mild Tolerable

I have to agree with the other reviewers here. This blend reminds me a lot of First Light, but seems fuller and better rounded due to the stoved Virginias. Unfortunately I can't get around the tongue bite. Although it is somewhat tolerable due to it being a virginia blend, it's just not worth fighting when there are other blends available. Don't get me wrong- there are other blends out their that have more bite. The price however is great. This may be your blend- it just isn't really mine!