A delightful blend for the lover of English aromatics who wants a little less Latakia in his bowl. This soft, sweet mixture of light Orientals, matured Virginias and a small amount of Latakia has a richness of flavor and pleasing aroma.

BrandMcCranie's
ContentsOriental/Turkish, Virginia, Latakia
Strength
Mild, Strong
Taste
Very Pleasant, Strong
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

This is one of the most refined English "Aromatic" blends I've ever had the pleasure of putting into my pipe. The softness of the Orientals combined with the tobacco pleasing taste of the Virginia and Latakia components really make this blend shine. And the components are not muted by the casing. The additional whatever certainly will please those who like a little Latakia that is "bright" in flavor presentation rather than "dark."

Congrats to the McCranie gang for this offering.

The Keeper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Keeper (112)
Mild to Medium Strong Medium Strong

For some reason I completely missed the "aromatic" part in the description of this blend when ordering a sample. But I'll review objectively with this in mind. As described - a very light Balkan style blend. The Virginia takes a prominent place to start, accompanying the casing. Unfortunately the incense like odor and flavor dominates quite a bit for the first third of the bowl. To the degree I feel it actually detriments the tobacco. Underneath, and up front towards the half way point of the bowl, a light but musky oriental plays off slightly against darker latakia notes. My first smoke was in a meerschaum dedicated to oriental blends. That went over very poorly and I didn't even finish the bowl. My next attempt was in a clay tavern pipe that I occasionally use for aromatics. This brought out more of the tobacco flavor and harmonized the aromatic component. Like most flavored tobaccos it does well with some drying time. Once at a decent humidity, it is a big step up from drugstore blends yet "safe" for mixed company and a flavored smoke. Not bad for a cased aromatic. I'll finish the sample - but not engrossing enough that I'll likely go back to it soon.