Blended ByCarl McCallister
Blend TypeAmerican
ContentsBurley, Latakia, Perique, Virginia
Packaging1.5 ounces Tin
Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable, Tolerable

A medium English with no discernible topping. The dark fired burley is earthy and a little nutty, with a delightful cocoa flavor. The latakia is not in full force, though it does offer a little smokey, woodsy depth. The Virginia acts as a slightly citrusy, grassy base for the other components. The perique is a minor player, being slightly plumy with a hint of pepper. The interesting part of the mixture is that some of the flavors are occasionally subtle, and not present in every single puff, with the exception of the dark fired burley. Subtle or obvious, the variety of components burn cool and dry to provide an all day American English smoking blend.

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I received a healthy sample of this back in October and just recently finished it. It was kind of a weird type blend to me. I can honestly say when I lit it up and through the first quarter of the smoke I just did not like it at all, It just had kind of a weak off taste to me. Kind of a mix of strange chemical and hot air taste.

As I got into the middle third of the smoke it started to taste really good; delivering the flavors one would expect from an American English. Very earthy and nutty sweet with a decent amount of latakia smokiness. If the whole bowl tasted this good than this would be a four star blend to me, but it didn't. As I entered the last quarter of the bowl it kind of went to boring as if the flavors I was getting before had just disappeared and were replaced by a boring monotonous watered down version of what I was experiencing before. I don't think that Sutliff lists a topping on this blend, but what I experienced seemed to be indicative of a topped blend. I am putting extremely mild as flavoring merely on a hunch, but don't know for sure whether there is a topping.

It is odd and maybe it is just me, but I have not had this experience with other American English blends that I have smoked. On the objectivity of would I recommend this, I would say no, but what I tasted in the middle of this smoke was too good to warrant a single star review. However, I would also recommend Sutliffe's own Lord of the manor or their revelation match over this blend. But I did like it better than R Blend and Man's best friend.

Overall, I am leaving this with two stars and a somewhat recommended and probably will not reorder.

Mr. Motoyoshi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Motoyoshi (66)

There is something really refreshing about a tobacco that can be packed right out of a fresh tin, and taste great young as well. This is one of those tobaccos. A nice ribbon cut tobacco that is dry and perfect for smoking right out of the tin. There do tend to be some larger chunks and even some stems so sift accordingly.

The tin note is very smokey but from both worlds. The campfire smoke of the Latakia and the braised pork of the Dark Fired Burley.

The first quarter of this I get a lot of Dark Fired and some Va. Latakia is very faint and the perqiue is almost undetectable. Slowly passing the halfway point the sweetness of the VA and Dark Fired slowly begin to fade and the Latakia seems to take the front stage. The Perique is slighly more involved than the first half but really is a condiment in this blend. I have a sneaking suspicion that this is green river burley that has been processed as perique. Regardless this tobacco burns very evenly and smokes cool.

Random notes: Despite being a complex blend, I found that a smaller, conical bowl was the best for me. A dublin shape goes really well with it in my experience. I didn't enjoy this in my morta pipes at all and found it really shined in my briars. Well done Sutliff.

Pipe Used: Meers, cobs, briars and morta

There is a good bit of sweetness and spice out front. The sweetness from the Virginias, the spice from a combination of the other three components. I taste the Virginias most prominently followed by the Kentucky. The Perique and Latakia are faintly detected in the background. It's a nice flavorful smoke that might serve as an introduction to Latakia for the uninitiated. I find it a very pleasant smoke.

Mild to medium in body. Medium in flavor. Burns perfectly.

Pipe Used: MM Country Gentleman, MM Diplomat Apple

Purchased From:

Jacinto Cupboard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jacinto Cupboard (120)
Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant

A pleasing mixture of blonde thru to black tobaccos. Mostly a short ribbon with the occasional larger piece that looks like broken flake. The tin aroma is dominated by a soft turpentine aroma of Latakia. There is also some sweet caramel on the nose.

I found I could pack this baccy fairly tightly without it rising out of the bowl on the first light. Once lit this is a trouble free blend.

As the smoke goes, it is a light American English with no orientals apart from the Latakia. Interestingly, there is a fair presence of Perique in this blend, and the relationship between Lat and the Perique is in my view what defines Old San Francisco. Unsurprisingly, Latakia is the foremost note from the start. It is supported by some gentle, sweet, Va which also contributes some lemon zest from time to time. As the bowl progresses the Lat is overtaken by the Perique with its plum and pepper presence building steadily. The DFK is at best a background presence imo.

A very well balanced tobacco with a pleasing transition as the bowl progresses, it is interesting without being complex or heavy. Quiet without being studious. Very nice with a sweet dark coffee, in the garden, listening to the birds.

Pipe Used: Lepeltier

rekamepip Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rekamepip (78)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Full Tolerable

Old San Francisco by Sutliff Tobacco Company

Virginian, Perique, Dark Fired Burley and Latakia Tobaccos

Tin Notes: A mixture of different cuts and colors of tobaccos. The Aroma is Rich and Full. Good moisture content right out of a newly opened tin

The Burn: An easy to manage tobacco blend that requires little to no preparations before loading into the pipe and burns evenly from start to finish. Wonderful natural tobacco flavors with a medium bodied smoke. Slightly earthy flavors with a touch of grassy notes from the virginians... A well rounded tobacco blend that tastes great !

This is a type of tobacco that smokes good and tastes great from a newly opened tin which in my opinion is how tobacco should be. I Expect that this tobacco blend would age nicely and would make a great addition to anyone's cellar

My 5 Star Rating = 4 out of 5

recommended for those who like a light to medium english style tobacco blend

Pipe Used: briar, corn, pipestone