Blended ByCarl McCallister
ContentsBurley, Kentucky
Packaging1.5 ounces Tin
Strength
Taste

A straight uncomplicated Kentucky plug cut burley with no topping. It has a little earthiness contrasting nicely with a mild molasses, nutty, and cocoa notes. Burns well, cool, and even, though if you puff too fast, you may get a light cigarette taste. It’s a nice change from the more familiar sweeter OTCs on the market. Also works well as a mixer.

JDub Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JDub (2)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Mild Very Pleasant

This is a very earthy but mild smoke. The tin has a very mild smell of the burley/kentucky when opened. Has a nice flavor but is a bit mild for my typical tastes. Tobacco was not too moist and burned well. Although it did seem to burn hot even when trying to nurse it slowly. If enjoy mild blends with burley/kentucky I would recommend this.

Age When Smoked: Less than one month

Purchased From: Sample

Similar Blends: Sutliff CD Blend.

troupkyx Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
troupkyx (1)

Upon opening the can, I was hit immediately with the smell of nutmeg and chocolate. Initially lighting the pipe delivered an increased room note of light cocoa. This would be a fabulous fall or winter blend, sitting by the fireplace.

Taste profile provide a slight sweetness, with a slight burley sharpness. As the bowl progressed downward, the sharpness disappeared, and I was left with a pleasant, almost aromatic flavor.

Overall, this was a wonderful tobacco, that didn't have an overbearing burley taste profile, and didn't have the tongue bite I normally associate with burley blends. Again, this would be a fabulous tobacco, highly recommended for those autumn evenings by the fire.

Austin Pipe Club

Pipe Used: Nording Handmade, Peterson SH Professor

therockingchef Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
therockingchef (1)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

Blend Name:Breckinridge

Description on Tin: A non Aromatic mixture of Kentucky plug cut burley

Leaf: Burley

Tin Aroma: sweetness, leather, paper bag, undertones of coco

Taste: Mild in the flavoring but the taste lead with soft cream, burning grass with light hints of coco in the finish. Decent body

Smokability: the blend was dry and needed no extra drying time. Did smoke a little hot in all the pipes I tried.

Room Note: Had the sent of dry smoke, and old paper bags (not bad smells)

Thoughts: This wasn't an unpleasant smoke for me, but it seemed flat and slightly uninteresting. There was not a huge hit of nicotine that gets associated with burleys. With that said it was not a bad tobacco blend, but it was not in my preference range.

Recommend to: Mild Non aromatic and Burley smokers

Summary: After smoking half a tin I found that the tobacco flavors stayed consistent through the entire bowl. It burned clean and smooth from top to bottom leaving soft white ash.

My Background: I am a Chef and rely on scents and flavors and how they interact with each other. I mix liquors and brew beer in my free time. I have been smoking pipes since 2009.

Pipe Used: a variety of shapes and sizes

Purchased From: Sample

A somewhat light tasting mixture, the burleys are in the background and the Kentucky is the main note yet mild. A good intro to Kentucky, easy to light, and not too hot burning. A nice change of pace from stronger tobaccos

Pipe Used: various briars & cobs

Age When Smoked: one month

Purchased From: pipes & cigars

rekamepip Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rekamepip (72)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Sutliff Private Stock Breckinridge

Kentucky Burley Tobacco

Tin Note: A rough Plug Cut Leaf. Good Leaf Color with Good Moisture content. Aroma smells WONERFUL !!!

Burn: This tobacco may require a little rubbing out if you use a small chamber sized pipe but it burns nice slow and evenly from start to finish

A no nonsense type of tobacco with little to no casing or topping, just slightly under a medium bodied smoke

All you get is a Good old Fashioned Burley flavor that is not to sweet

My 5 star Rating = 4 or 4.5 with a good cup of coffee

I love this tobacco !

Pipe Used: briar, clay, corn, pipestone

Purchased From: sutliff

msandoval858 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
msandoval858 (1)

Breckenridge by Sutliff is something of a nod to many of the classic burley blends that pipe smokers have enjoyed for generations. My first experience with this blend was from a sample and I really didn’t have any expectations of the blend aside from enjoying something new.

Upon first opening the tin, you are immediately hit with the sweet cocoa aroma of a quality burley tobacco. Being a big fan of this type of tobacco, the aroma is simply delicious even without the aromatic toppings often added to burley based blends.

Breckenridge packs with ease. The moisture content out of the fresh tin was spot on, neither being too wet nor too dry to the touch.

After an effortless lighting, the bowl settled in to a nice and smooth smoke providing that natural tobacco taste with hints of the cocoa coming through in the flavor profile. If pressed, it will get a little hot and can get a tad harsh, so if you are a hard puffer, this one might not be the best choice. I found it work well for me in a small briar or a cob that I can relax and sip slowly while enjoying the rich and nutty burley flavors that I am so fond of.

Overall a great tobacco for fans of the type. It’s a great example of a no frills burley blend and is satisfying but won’t knock you out with a vitamin N rush making it very approachable. As others have noted it would make a great blending component as well but I find great enjoyment from the blend as it is right out of the tin. It burns well and is a nice departure from my regular English blends when I want something different. Although I probably won’t stock pile this blend, it is definitely one I can see myself keeping a tin or two of around for the when the mood strikes.

Sample: Austin Pipe Club

Geronimo Von Klaus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Geronimo Von Klaus (57)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Strong

Sutliff is a winning company who offer an incredible range of products to us pipe smokers, and I will be reviewing several of their blends over time. They seem dedicated to making a lot of interesting takes of what we love, as well as giving us their take on original mixtures, and I have to say they have hit some real KO's along the way with such great ones like Bosphorus Cruise, Balkan Luxury 957, Court of Saint James and many others.

However, this is not one of their finest. I thought I would like their take on a straight burley, but this to me was just mediocre mixing tobacco with a harsh and very cigarette-like aftertaste.

I was sitting by waiting for the nutty goodness to come through, and expected it to be smooth and soft, but it was hot, hard on the palate, with a very mono/linear flavor which didn't get any better at all, and at the end I just felt I had been drawing on a dirty old cigarette for 30 mins.

Pass.