Blended ByCarl McCallister
Packaging1.5 ounces Tin
Strength
Taste
2.4

A straight uncomplicated Kentucky plug cut burley with no topping. It has a little earthiness contrasting nicely with a mild molasses, nutty, and cocoa notes. Burns well, cool, and even, though if you puff too fast, you may get a light cigarette taste. It’s a nice change from the more familiar sweeter OTCs on the market. Also works well as a mixer.

JDub Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JDub (2)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Mild Very Pleasant

This is a very earthy but mild smoke. The tin has a very mild smell of the burley/kentucky when opened. Has a nice flavor but is a bit mild for my typical tastes. Tobacco was not too moist and burned well. Although it did seem to burn hot even when trying to nurse it slowly. If enjoy mild blends with burley/kentucky I would recommend this.

Age When Smoked: Less than one month

Purchased From: Sample

Similar Blends: Sutliff CD Blend.

therockingchef Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
therockingchef (1)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

Blend Name:Breckinridge

Description on Tin: A non Aromatic mixture of Kentucky plug cut burley

Leaf: Burley

Tin Aroma: sweetness, leather, paper bag, undertones of coco

Taste: Mild in the flavoring but the taste lead with soft cream, burning grass with light hints of coco in the finish. Decent body

Smokability: the blend was dry and needed no extra drying time. Did smoke a little hot in all the pipes I tried.

Room Note: Had the sent of dry smoke, and old paper bags (not bad smells)

Thoughts: This wasn't an unpleasant smoke for me, but it seemed flat and slightly uninteresting. There was not a huge hit of nicotine that gets associated with burleys. With that said it was not a bad tobacco blend, but it was not in my preference range.

Recommend to: Mild Non aromatic and Burley smokers

Summary: After smoking half a tin I found that the tobacco flavors stayed consistent through the entire bowl. It burned clean and smooth from top to bottom leaving soft white ash.

My Background: I am a Chef and rely on scents and flavors and how they interact with each other. I mix liquors and brew beer in my free time. I have been smoking pipes since 2009.

Pipe Used: a variety of shapes and sizes

Purchased From: Sample

A somewhat light tasting mixture, the burleys are in the background and the Kentucky is the main note yet mild. A good intro to Kentucky, easy to light, and not too hot burning. A nice change of pace from stronger tobaccos

Pipe Used: various briars & cobs

Age When Smoked: one month

Purchased From: pipes & cigars

Geronimo Von Klaus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Geronimo Von Klaus (57)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Strong

Sutliff is a winning company who offer an incredible range of products to us pipe smokers, and I will be reviewing several of their blends over time. They seem dedicated to making a lot of interesting takes of what we love, as well as giving us their take on original mixtures, and I have to say they have hit some real KO's along the way with such great ones like Bosphorus Cruise, Balkan Luxury 957, Court of Saint James and many others.

However, this is not one of their finest. I thought I would like their take on a straight burley, but this to me was just mediocre mixing tobacco with a harsh and very cigarette-like aftertaste.

I was sitting by waiting for the nutty goodness to come through, and expected it to be smooth and soft, but it was hot, hard on the palate, with a very mono/linear flavor which didn't get any better at all, and at the end I just felt I had been drawing on a dirty old cigarette for 30 mins.

Pass.