Blended ByCarl McCallister
Strength
Taste
2.6
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A tasty medium aromatic with a multiplicity of flavors. The smell of the tobacco in the tin is much stronger than how it tastes. Pumpkin is one of the major players, though I perceive an essence of cooking wine. At the halfway point, I got bare hints of vanilla from the black cavendish, honey from the gold cavendish, and a very slight hay Virginia note. There's all-spice and nutmeg hits throughout the entire smoke. Burns well, though it may benefit from a little dry time. It's one of those blends where the taste grows on you after a few bowls. While it'll provide a nice seasonal treat as the name implies, it also makes a good summer time blend while you're out in the fresh air.

rekamepip Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rekamepip (72)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

Sutliff Private Stock Taste of Autumn

Virginian, Burley and Black Cavendish Tobaccos

Tin Note: Good Cut and Colors of tobacco leaf. Slightly moist and sticky. The Aroma is a spicy liqueur smell

The Burn: The tobacco does burn good straight out of a newly opened tin and burns evenly from start to finish when lightly packed into the bowl. A mild bodied tobacco with good top notes and a spiciness flavor that i enjoyed

my 5 star rating = 3

recommended for those who like an aromatic tobacco

Pipe Used: briar, clay, corn, pipestone

Purchased From: sutliff

Grovesy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Grovesy (7)

Im a big fall/halloween nerd, so I had to try a tobacco with autumn in the title. I think I expected too much from this blend and I really did not care much for it at all. The flavor I got from it was more of an orange/cream Popsicle thing, with a hint of nutmeg. I have given it a shot through a few different pipes and it really didnt get much better. For me this one just didnt work out.

Pipe Used: various

Purchased From: Pipes and cigars

gtclark Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gtclark (8)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Very tasty, and fairly dry burning for an aromatic. Pleasant bursts of nutmeg and cinnamon throughout. It reminds me of walking through a craft store in the autumn, when all the fall candles and scents are on display. This may be a turn-off for some, but I enjoyed it.

Despite the flavor, the wife was unable to pick up on the cinnamon-spice flavor in the room note, detecting only a generic "aromatic" note.

Pipe Used: Savinelli

Purchased From: Pipes & Cigars.com

Similar Blends: C&D Autumn Evening, Benjamin Hartwell's "Evening Stroll", Hearth & Home "Egg Nog".

Corncob3 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Corncob3 (24)
Very Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

A nice blend, but it's a a tad too wet and sugary in my opinion. Dense and inviting tin note. It took several tries to get it lit in my cob (not to mention the occasional clumping). Once it got going, it was cool smoking and refreshing. However, if you like soggy pumpkin pie drenched in egg nog and you want to have diabetes by the bottom of your first bowl, then TOA is for you. The pumpkin, nutmeg/eggnog note never overpower each other. That's the blend's drawback-nothing sticks out and it's too gentle and wet on the pallate. Even after you let it air out. I like Sutliff' blends but the black cavendish they use tends to be way too wet/sweet in some of their aromatics. If it were me, I would have used toasted cavendish instead. That would probably bring more balance to this blend. Nevertheless, this is a fun smoke with a nice taste of fall flavors. A tad more spice, a little less sweetness and a slightly dryer mxture would make all the difference.

Update 8/24/2014 I've been smoking TOA out of a Dr. Grabow Grand Duke and the blend behaves well. However, it seems too subtle on the pallate. Light up is still an issue. After a few tries you get a long, smooth smoke and no ashy aftertaste. I'm still asking myself was Sutliff aiming for nuance or spice with this blend. A fellow reviewer mentioned this as one of those blends that could be smoked in summer or fall but it could pass for anytime of year as well. So I'll upgrade to three stars for TOA's ability to weather any season and it's smoothness, but save this one for the briar. I'm still asking myself nuance or spice.