Blended ByCarl McCallister

3.4
Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (112)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Ok first off I don't understand why those who love Molto Dolce haven't reviewed this tobacco??? It is the closest to Molto Dolce in the Sutliff lineup IE: it is the second most aromatic blend they offer. Instead of Caramel, Honey and Vanilla, Mountain Pass is Vanilla Custard. Think Eggnog, Candy Corn and Butterscotch and yes just as JimInks mentioned Boston Cream Pie!!! . If you have had McClelland's Vanilla Black Cavendish then you know the aroma and this is very similar but this has much much more flavor than VBC. Mountain Pass is listed as a black Cavendish but the two tins I have smoked have been black and light brown strands which makes me think it has Virginia mixed in with the black cav which gives it some complexity, the two leafs change flavor notes throughout the smoke which is delightful. The tin note is truly to die for and being one notch down aromatic wise it might appeal to those that thought Molto Dolce was a bit too much but again being second in the Sutliff aromatic category puts it way ahead of other companies.... Simply delicious and once more pople start trying it I know that it will become a huge hit for Sutliff.

Side note: I just want to thank the folks at Sutliff for really trying to make us pipe smokers happy. I mean really what other company has had the time to conceive and produce hundreds of blends. There is a blend for every pipe smoker in their stable and I applaud both their blenders and marketing dept. for the great labels and descriptions!! Keep up the great work fellas!!!

Pipe Used: cobs

Age When Smoked: fresh from tin

Purchased From: pipes and cigars

Similar Blends: Sutliff Tobacco Company - Molto Dolce (Sutliff Private Stock), McClelland - Bulk Vanilla Black Cavendish, Sutliff Tobacco Company - Z92 Vanilla Custard, Abenaki Tobacco Co. - Vanilla Custard.

Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

A black and Golden cavendish aromatic with a creamy, buttery vanilla custard flavor. By intent, you won’t get much tobacco taste here, except for a touch of honey from the Gold cavendish. Coarse cut with some ribbon, and lightly moist, the entrancing aroma from the tin translates well to the flavor of the smoke and room note. Burns even and cool with no bite, with a rich consistency of taste from start to finish. It somewhat reminds me of Boston Cream Pie with a little extra chocolate.

JTH74 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JTH74 (4)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

I have yet to not enjoy a Sutliffe Private Stock aromatic. This blend tastes and smells wonderful, as long as you enjoy vanilla egg custard. If not, you'll want to give this one a pass. If you like their Molto Dolce, you will like this one. Nicotine is mild to medium. Lights well. No bite. Relit well half an hour after I had to leave it. I will get this one again. The flavor reminded me of the hard crust on a creme brule - sweet with a slight touch of char.

Pipe Used: Straight Billiard

Purchased From: Jungle Jim's, Eastgate Cincinnati. OH

Appalachian Chef Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Appalachian Chef (34)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Strong

Great smoke!! Caramel comes through the flavor as much as the tin note. Creamy and thick smoke. Amazing room note and finish. Almost too sweet at times. I will re-purchase, but limit it to when I am looking for a dessert tobacco. Crème brulee meets Cavendish.

Pipe Used: Falcon Billiard

Age When Smoked: Fresh from tin

rekamepip Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rekamepip (78)

Sutliff Private Stock Mountain Pass

A Cavendish Blend with a Custardy Top Note

Tin Note: Good Cut and Colors of Light and Dark Cavendish Tobaccos. Slightly moist and sticky straight out of a newly opened tin. Aroma is nice and rich, sweet smelling custardy and i thought it smelled butterscotch y

Burn: Even being slightly moist this tobacco blend does smoke good right out of the tin. The tobacco burns a little better when air dried a little but yet you loose some of the top notes when it is dried out.

Good Flavors ! I personally liked this blend (as with most of Sutliff's aromatic blends ) when smoked out of a clay pipe fresh out of a newly opened tin because you don't loose the top note flavors and i think the hotter burn in a clay pipe helps enhance those.

My 5 Star Rating = 3

I Recommend this blend for someone who enjoys an aromatic tobacco

Pipe Used: clay, corn, pipestone

Purchased From: sutliff

mnadz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mnadz (36)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Good aromatic for those that smoke them more for flavor/aroma vs. tobacco flavor. Opening tin reminded me of making a box vanilla cake mix as well as taste. Other reviews are probably more accurate likening it to custard. No tongue bite and burns well. Still like Barrell 76 better for flavor and aroma but extremely happy with this.

FenneckFox Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FenneckFox (7)
Mild Medium to Strong Very Full Very Pleasant

Let me preface by saying I have not had a good experience trying Sutliff blends. I absolutely dislike Molto Solve ( yep, I really do) and I have found only two or three blends I care for from them. That being said, I love this blend. The tin note is amazing and the translates well to the flavor. Surprisingly, it is absolutely delicious. I believe not many people have tried it because there aren't any reviews. If you like Molto Solve, I can only imagine this would blow your mind. I smoke everything from heavy Balkans, spicy Vapers, to extreme aros, so I have a good palate one might say. This blend is a great dessert smoke. As previous reviewers have said, it is a very custardy, vanilla, caramel, Boston cream pie, deliciousness. They described it perfectly. You must be in the mood for a flavor experience because you won't get much natural tobacco flavor here but that's not why I and I believe many of us smoke blends such as Molto Solve, which again, somehow does not agree with me. Try this blend all you aro freaks. It is quite the hidden gem! Oh, also the description says cavendish so you might expect a tin of slick black cav. Not the case. There is equal amounts of blonde, Brown, black and all colors in between. It is not a black cav blend. That makes me like it even more because there are a million pure black aros. I give this 4.5/5. Try it. Trust me.

Pipe Used: MM, Various Briars

Age When Smoked: New and aged for a couple months.

Purchased From: PipesandCigars