Blended ByCarl McCallister
FlavoringCocoa / Chocolate, Honey
Packaging1.5 ounces Tin
Strength
Taste
Mild, Medium to Full

Strong Medium to Strong Full Pleasant

An aromatic replacement for the discontinued MacBaren Honey and Chocolate blend. Basically, all you will taste is honey and chocolate, though I did detect a light golden cavendish flavor and extremely mild vanilla after a little puffing. If you liked the original, you'll find this to be a very acceptable alternative. The strength of the blend is potent, and I recommend a small bowl if you’re not used to an intense aro. It may require a little dry time, and the room note is very noticeable in a sweet, pleasant way. Your neighbors will think you're baking a cake, and invite themselves in for a slice.

Backwoods Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Backwoods Piper (60)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This is a delightful fuller flavored aro. Love to smoke this in a cob or my MacQueen Churchwarden. These two flavors are a great go together and best enjoyed on a full stomach as the nicotine content is rather intense. I really enjoy this blend after a meal with coffee. This cavendish is mostly ribbon cut red VA with some toasted dark blended in. The casing as mentioned is a great go together and doesn't completely overshadow the base flavors of the tobacco's. I really enjoy the nutty sweet finish of this blend.

Purchased From: pipesandncigars.com

Mr. Motoyoshi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Motoyoshi (63)

The tin note kind of reminds me of those scratch and sniff stickers from when I was younger. That mixed with a cookie dough tube when it's freshly opened.

The moisture is a teeny bit too much for my preference but it's not goopy. Just stlightly moist and sticky. But these things are expected with aromatics.

The smoke was very mild to me. I thought I would experience more honey but the chocolate seems to be the main player here. It burns well and not too hot. It does tend leave some dottle and will ghost a pipe. I've never tried the Mac Baren version but this was surprisingly pleasant. The room note is very agreeable.

One of the better aromatics I've tried and probably one of my favorites among Sutliff's

Pipe Used: cobs and briars

natibo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
natibo (82)
Medium Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Finally, an aromatic that has some decent strength to it. I did not taste any of the honey, but boy is this stuff heavy on the chocolate. It is an aromatic, but my one complaint here is there is not enough tobacco flavor. Other than that, this stuff tastes great and pleases those around you.

Fred T Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fred T (62)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild Pleasant

This is a nice aromatic. The honey and chocolate are subtle, but can be distinguished. Nice room note and mild smoke. One of the better Sutliff blends in my opinion.

Pipe Used: Tom Eltang

rekamepip Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rekamepip (78)
Medium Medium Mild Pleasant

Sutliff Private Stock Honey and Chocolate

Burley, Virginian and Black Cavendish Tobaccos

Tin Note: Good Cut and Color of leaf selection. Good moisture content straight out of a newly opened tin, nice fresh and spongy feel to it. Aroma is wonderful !

The Burn: The tobacco burns good and is easy to load into any type of pipe. In comparison to the tin note aroma i thought that the Chocolate and Honey Flavors were not as sweet and strong as to be expected. I don't know maybe i was expecting something different as i have never really smoke a honey and chocolate mixture but I thought that overall this blend was slightly harsh and flat.

Room Note was Great !

My 5 Star rating = 2.5 maybe a little more after i get used to it or find the right pipe to smoke it from

Pipe Used: clay and corn