Named in honor of Pierre Chenet, the farmer credited with discovering the process that turns Burley into Perique in 1824, this combination of Virginia and Perique, pressed into an old-fashioned crumble cake, is a Perique powerhouse for those who simply can’t get enough of this “truffle of tobaccos”. Estimated peak: 10-15 years. But it's fantastic right now!

Blend TypeVirginia/Perique
ContentsBurley, Perique, Virginia
CutKrumble Kake
Packaging2 oz Tin
Strength
Taste

3.6

This is a slightly above average VaPer with an ample amount of Perique. The Virginias are sweet and raisiny. The Perique, tart and figgy with notes of chocolate and plenty of spice. It's mildly moist out of the tin and can be smoked immediately if desired. Crumbles easily. Smoke is smooth and relaxing with no hint of a bite. The question is how well it will age and only time will tell us that. I'm stashing a few tins.

(A small disclaimer here: I've been smoking a lot of Kajun Kake lately and that stuff is so good that it makes any other VaPer pale in comparison. It may have caused me to undervalue this one just a bit. It may be better than I think.)

Pipe Used: MM General, MM Country Gentleman

The Virginias are a little grassy with some earth and natural citrus sweetness. The perique content is high, though it didn't knock me to the floor as I was expecting. It offers tasty tanginess from the raisin, fig, and date notes, with a nice spice hit that doesn't overwhelm, but should satisfy perique fans. It's also a little woody with hints of chocolate. The nicotine content is medium. The cake breaks apart very easily, and burns slow, well, even with very few relights, no moisture or harsh spots. A well blended, under rated product that may not be an all day smoke, but if you crave perique, you'll come back to it at some point during your smoking day.

Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (154)

A cake easy to slice and chop up.

A little moist from the get go but no lasting issue.

Mix up well so you don't get too much perique in a bowl. It's high enough in per anyway (maybe not as bold as OJK by C&D), and the finish is still strong. The Virginia balances the mix nicely, but not a sweet variety as in Kajun Kake. The per's pepper qualities come through now and again. Mushroomy.

Easy smoking and cool. For those who love perique ( a must here) but not quite an overdose (e.g., Exclusive).

Pipe Used: Arlington

Age When Smoked: new tin

Similar Blends: C&D Exclusive.

Medium to Strong None Detected Full Strong

Nifty looking square cake of mottled and pressed tobacco. Easy to break off and smoke but I recommend a nice sharp knife, as when I simply broke off pieces, I tended to get even more perique from a blend that already focuses on perique. But once cut, it rubs very easily. Tin note is perfectly awful, smelling like old socks and spoiled food.

My sensitivity to perique is on the low side. I can usually taste it when its lightly present but it doesn't start to get too interesting for me until quite a bit is included. With this one, I learned that I have a ceiling on the level of perique, and this one went thru that ceiling with force! It started out spicy and faintly sweet, with the Virginias providing more earth than sweetness. C&D's Virginias seem to be heading in that direction, more of a burley taste than traditional virginia. I would have preferred more natural Virginia sweetness to offset the heavy perique with this one. But balance isn't this one's forte - this is for the perique-aholic, not for someone who prefers a bit of delicacy in their smoke - even their richer blends. In that sense, it seems to pass with flying colors. 3 stars for this one... 2 stars for my personal taste (and I doubt I'll ever revisit this one!) but 4 stars for appearing to meet their design goals. Try this one if you like perique on top of your perique. Stay away if you want to taste something aside from perique.

Lit a Kia Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lit a Kia (65)
Very Strong None Detected Very Full Very Strong

I planned to age this as suggested, but couldn't resist opening the tin when it arrived; it smelled like a pig sty. Not in a completely bad way, but that's how pungent this stuff is when fresh. After letting it mellow for several months, it was still piquant like a barnyard but with less of that pig-sty potency, and more dark chocolate, dark fruit.

The plug cut easily and burned well with moderate tending. The first third of the bowl was pepper, pepper, pepper. It opened up through the bowl, reminding me of rum raisin, and there are some occasional perfumy notes that were interesting (not sure where those came from in a VaPer). But the background was very peppery all the way through.

I can't overstate the pungency of this stuff. The smoke actually stings the eyes and goes well beyond "tickling" the throat and nasal passages; more like being stabbed with a thousand tiny needles...in a good way. (Seriously!) Solid but not overpowering nicotine level.

Wife didn't care for the room note; too cigaretty, she said. I had a front row seat and thought it smelled great.

Pipe Used: Boswell freehand

Age When Smoked: 6M

Similar Blends: Kajun Kake (I like Chenet a bit more).

LannarkGent Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LannarkGent (28)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

The tin said to age for ten to fifteen years. I bought 2 and opened one. I found this to be a masterpiece of flavor and smoking enjoyment. The perique was playful and not overwhelming. The Virginias were sweet and refined. I found the flavor to be a delightful mixture of nuts, dates, and figs with other flavor packed surprises. This is a fine smoke that I will certainly enjoy further.

Pipe Used: Savanelli Champagne

Purchased From: Indian Tabasco Traders

Mhulsey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mhulsey (35)

I have to agree with Zombie gentleman in regards to this tobacco review and his description of the aromas of the tobacco here. Upon opening the fresh tin of Chenet’s Cake I am greeted with a 2 oz crumble cake that resembles a small brownie, and the aromas that come from the tin are that of sweet fig like or raisiny notes from the Virginias although they are much milder than those of the Perique, and there is definitely a bakers chocolate sweet smell that is produced by the Perique in my tin as well. I do not detect any citrus notes that were described in some of the other reviews, however everyone experiences the tobacco differently. The crumble cake that I received is a little on the moist side and I suspect that this is to help with the aging process as these cellar series tobaccos are intended to be aged for ten years or more before being considered at their best. Before smoking, I broke off a small portion of the cake and broke it up and set it aside so that it could dry for about an hour. Once the tobacco had dried out a bit, it packed easily into my briar and took a light with little to no fuss. I would describe the flavors of the tobacco as a medium VaPer with a bread like taste coming from the Virginias and a smoky yet slightly nutty note coming from the Perique. The Perique definitely lets you know it’s there by mouth feel as well as there is a slightly spicy tinge that can be felt on the tongue as this blend is smoked. I can only guess as to what this will be like with ten years of age on it, but we will see as I have set back a few tins of this to cellar as well. My best guess though as to what this blend will be like in ten years is that the Virginias will continue to sweeten giving more of the raisin taste rather than the bread like taste that it has now, and the Perique will begin to become much milder and smokier than it is now. Either way, I am sure that it will be as good then as it is now, and I am happy with what I have in the fresh tin. As for burn characteristics, like I said before, the blend is a bit on the moist side and due to this it has a tendency to go out, thus there were several relights involved during each smoke. Room note is rather mild and those around me did not seem to be bothered by this in the slightest, so I would label this one as tolerable. Overall, I would recommend that any lover of Cornell & Diehl VaPer blends pick up a few tins of this to put in the cellar, and you may even want to crack one open now as they are rather tasty fresh.

Pipe Used: Italian Briar

Age When Smoked: fresh from tin dated 3/14

Purchased From: PipesandCigars.com

Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

Although C&D accomplished their design goal of a 'perique powerhouse', this one is just over the top for me. However, I successfully blended it with VA/Per flakes to work it away. I wouldn't reorder but if you like perique, this one is loaded.

Pipe Used: various bowl sizes

Purchased From: pipes & cigars.com

GabrielCRT Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
GabrielCRT (65)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Chenet's Cake is notably smooth for a blend comprised of 35% Perique. Usually I find C&D's heavy Perique blends to have a certain "sharpness" and though I do enjoy that this is a nice alternative. The Perique is distinctively raisiny with a little earthiness and I find its spice mostly on the retrohale. The red Virginias are earthy and subtley sweet. The bright Virginia is grassy with some minor hay flavors. The Perique and Virginias combine to offer a white wine like sweetness. Sometimes I can't detect the burley but it is a little earthy. There is a certain meatiness to the blend throughout the bowl that stands out more in meerschaum. It is currently a four star blend for me and I believe it will improve with age to become even smoother and sweeter.

Pipe Used: Briar, Meerschaum, Corncob