Joie de vivre, that magnificent ability to see the joy in everything, and the very embodiment of the festive spirit of New Orleans, is the inspiration for this singular, eminently cellar worthy blend. A foundation of fragrant Latakia and sweet red Virginia is joined by equal amounts of Perique and Katirini Turkish to enhance complexity, and then finished by a dash of unsweetened Black Cavendish for extra smoothness. Estimated peak: 8-12 years from tin date. But it's delicious right now!

ContentsBlack Cavendish, Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Perique, Virginia
CutPlug
Packaging2 oz Tin
Where to Buy PipesAndCigars
Strength
Taste
Pleasant to Tolerable, Tolerable

A very nice tasting English. The components are melded together giving, at first, a "traditional" English flavor profile. Perhaps a little sweeter than "traditional" due to the addition of the Black Cav. Not a great deal sweeter, but mildly sweeter. That's probably good for the aging process. There is a fair amount of Perique which becomes more evident the deeper into the bowl you get. It's nice and spicey by the time you get toward the end. Medium in body and taste. Perfect moisture right out of the tin. Crumbles easily and burns perfectly. Seems like a blend that will age nicely. I'm adding it to my stash. Once again, I'm reserving a star until I've tasted the aged product. 3 stars for now.

Pipe Used: MM General, MM Country Gentleman

The latakia is smokey sweet and woody, and while it is a star component, it doesn't drown out the other tobaccos. The red Virginia is tangy, dried fruit sweet with a touch of earth. The Turkish is a little woody and slightly sour. The perique is plum and spice, and is noticeable is every puff without distracting the other ingredients. There is a light creamy sweetness from the unflavored black cavendish that tames any potentiality of harshness. The sweet level is mild overall. Well balanced with some complexity, slow, smooth and cool burning, though I suggest packing your bowl loosely or risk the kake hardening at the bottom, especially if you are a wet smoker.

Raleigh Dan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Raleigh Dan (2)

This is a great English. Smokes beautifully. Great Latakia flavor and tones. Goes really well with a cup of Earl Gray. Can't wait to get my hands on the rest of the Cellar Series from C&D.

Pipe Used: Various

Age When Smoked: Fresh Tin (3 months from tinning)

J.C.Evans Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
J.C.Evans (1)
Medium Mild to Medium Full Pleasant

I enjoyed the tobacco. Currently smoking it as I write this review. Its sorta like having a steak dinner. If you enjoy drinking stout beer or scotch I think you would love it. The taste is quite nice and very smooth.

Pipe Used: Nording

Purchased From: old havana cigars

Bluesmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bluesmoke (75)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Very Pleasant

This is a fantastic blend and since it is of the new CD cellar series, it will be very interesting to see how this progresses with time. This blend is not flooded with Latakia, quite refreshing. Now don't get me wrong, I love the smoky condiment, but find that so many blends are overloaded and so strongly impart its essence, almost exclusively. This blend allows for one to really enjoy the fine sweetish, VAs and the Turkish gives a nice sour counterpoint. Perique is added, not shyly, and as a result it helps to monitor the other elements, keeping all in check. The Cav gives some fuller body, mind you this is not sweetened black Cav, but a stoved Burley which adds to the overall body of this preparation. The moisture content was perfect in the 2 cakes and they broke easily apart and took the flame quite well. Once lit the volume of smoke was impressive. One word to describe this would be difficult, but I would have to say "balanced", and indeed it is. I have 6 tins on the way and have not been able to pull myself away from the heady aroma and wonderful mouth feel since opening this artistically labeled tin. Some will go to the cellar for sure, but some will find a place in one of my pipes daily. One bowl was very filling, but I'm a bit of a glutton and find two or three during the day suits me very well. Highest recommendation! MJBWY

Pipe Used: Stanwell bulldog

Age When Smoked: Fresh Tin

Purchased From: Pipesandcigars.com

Similar Blends: Nothing else I have experienced thus far..

Mhulsey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mhulsey (35)

Joie De Vivre is an absolutely wonderful English blend. Popping the lid off of a sealed tin dated 3/14, I am greeted with the wonderfully smoky and strong smell of the Latakia, and a nice compact 2 oz cake of tobacco. It is obvious while looking at the cake, that the tobacco is of high quality and due to the presentation, there will be no twiggy or woody bits mixed in the tobacco. I’ve had these tins both fresh and with some age on them and I have to say that as they age they become much darker in appearance, almost jet black, and as they age, they tend to become much smoother. The tin note is rather enticing, with the earthy aromas of a smoky hardwood campfire, that is slightly peaty. As for the Virginia, there is a very faint or subtle sweetness that can be smelled in the tin, but the aroma is hard to detect due to the Latakia. The Orientals and the Perique is much harder for me to detect in the tin note, but again the Latakia is truly the star of the show here. The moisture level of this particular tin is spot on perfect and there was no drying time needed before being able to smoke, however I have gotten some tins that needed to be broken up and set aside for quite some time due to being overly moist. I suspect that the moisture level is intentional as the cellar series of tobaccos are intended to be aged and be at their best in ten to fifteen years. Breaking the tobacco up and rubbing it out was rather easy, but as the cake ages, I have noticed that they will become much firmer and I have had some that I have had to cut like a plug. Once broken up or cut into fine ribbons, the tobacco is easy to pack and readily takes a flame. Upon lighting, the first flavors that I notice come from the Latakia, and there is a rich smokiness and creaminess that it brings to the blend. I have to say that the Latakia is silky smooth in this blend and plays beautifully with the Virginia, Perique, Turkish, and Cavendish. The Virginia provides just a hint of sweetness and works well with the slightly tea like flavors that I get from the Turkish. The Cavendish provides the blend with just a slight nuttiness and smoothness that works well with the creamy Latakia. The Perique definitely lets you know it’s in the mixture with its spicy mouth feel, but I have a hard time detecting the flavors of this tobacco through the Latakia. As for burn characteristics, I did not have to tend this blend at all, and when finished, the tobacco burned down to a fine white powdery ash which made cleaning the pipe rather simple, only requiring that I run a pipe cleaner through the stem and around the inside of the bowl to remove any remaining moisture. As for the room note, those around me made mention that the tobacco smelled much like a hardwood fire, so I take that to mean that it is tolerable. Overall, I have been very satisfied with Joie De Vivre, and it has quickly become my favorite of the cellar series. I can only imagine what it will continue to become with ten years or more of age. With this in mind, I purchased several tins so that I could smoke a tin now, and cellar several, comparing my notes later on down the road. I would recommend this blend to anyone who enjoys a silky smooth creamy Latakia blend.

Pipe Used: Various Dunhills

Age When Smoked: fresh from tin and tins aged two years

Purchased From: PipesandCigars.com