London Eye is a noble pipe tobacco of the highest quality. The perfect marriage of golden, red and dark Virginia tobaccos in different cuts are rounded off with burley and black cavendish. The aroma of rum, coconut, and macadamia nuts makes it a truly exceptional blend.

Blended ByKohlhase & Kopp
Mild, Mild to Medium, Medium
austrianpiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
austrianpiper (3)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Mild Tolerable

When you open the tin you will greeted by a loose cut tobacco with a golden, brown and black picture. The smell of coconut and some sweet alcoholic dominate. I can not detect the macadamia nuts (how do macadamia nuts smell?) The moisture is perfect out of the tin.

I would recommend medium or bigger bowls so the tobacco can develop better. It is easy to pack and light. I had also no problems with relights, the taste remains constant until to the end of the bowl. The smoke is cool and you can taste a sweet smoething with a undertone of coconut. The room note is not too brash and the ladies will love it.

For me this tobacco is a bit too bland and boring, may be that can be due to the fact that I am a filter smoker. I have not tried it without filter, because I think it would bite my tongue. It also could be a bit stronger. I think it is a middle of the road aromatic and for that price (€ 19,90 for 100g, bought in Vienna) I am a bit disapointed about this stuff. Kohlhase und Kopp can do that better.

I will finish this tin, but I will not buy it again. If you are an aromatic lover try to get a sample of this stuff so you can decide if you like it.

I give 2 stars.

Pipe used: Vauen Giant 447, Stanwell Black Diamond No. 13, John Aylesbury No. 602

Filter used: Vauen, Stanwell, White Elephant Super Mix

Age: fresh from the tin

Medium Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Tolerable

Rattray - London Eye.

When I took the lid off the tin the mixture I was met with didn't look to contain as much Black Cavendish as many aromatics do. Sometimes, I think aro's have been given far too much of it but this is far from overladen with the stuff, it actually makes up the least of the mix, around 15- 20% .

The cans aroma is aromatic, albeit not as strong as some others can seem. I can identify with ease the coco and rum but not the nuts.

The nuts may not be potent in the tins note but they are definitely there in the smoke. Out of all the additives I actually find the nuts to be the most prominent. The others don't go unnoticed, there's a subtle chocolaty sweetness with a very delicate piquancy from the rum but they're not in the same league.

I find the false flavours a little too weighty to let much of the natural tastes be picked out: it's not that heavy or false, just a touch clumsy!

I wouldn't rate the nicotine as being much above medium from this. It seems to be a pleasant amount for me.

The room note is on the fuller side and it can create somewhat of a fog too!

I would enjoy this more if it didn't bite my tongue as much. It needs to be sipped a bit tenderly. That's the one of the reasons why I score this only two stars.

A little disappointing: somewhat recommended.

Pipe Used: Nording Freehand

Purchased From: My Smoking Shop

Andy7777 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Andy7777 (15)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable

When you first open Rattray's London Eye, you are greeted with a sweet fruity smell. This is not unlike the taste, which if sweet, fruity and nutty. The flavouring is medium to strong, but not unpleasant. This has a fruity note, that may be too sweet for some

Pipe Used: Peterson's System P-Lip, No 305 (Calabash)

Age When Smoked: Fresh from tin