With absolute best bright Virginia,ripe Burley leaves and tobacco grades carefully selected from the tobacco fields of three continents,our Special Reserve 2014 is created.A portion of the Tobacco blend is pressed to form cakes then cut into small pieces and hand blended with exclusive ribbon cut and cross cut Virginias. The result is a delightful scent of berries mixed with a hint of exotic fruits,which makes it an equisite smoking pleasure.

BrandPeterson
Taste
Mattbutty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mattbutty (1)
Mild Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I'm relatively new to pipe smoking having tried and given up a few times in the past. The 2014 special reserve seemed like a good place to start. Its beautiful tin, bright and vibrant and the description sounds like it should be a winner.

Upon opening the tin, you are presented with a nicely packaged cellopane wrapper, in which sits a brick of gold and black wide cut ribboned tobacco. Opening the package, you are immediately taken with the aroma, like hard boiled sweets or cherry lips. Threading your fingers through the tobacco, it feels moist but not too much, and it is apparent to the eye that this is a quality product, with autumnal colours and hints of compressed flakes. Despite this not being quite what I expected, particularly on the nose, I am eager to try this

Unfortunately I just cant get on with this. I've smoked about half the tin and whilst the room note really is delightful with a rich sweet berry flavour, the mouth feel is somewhat chemical. I don't get any enjoyment from smoking this as it just tastes a bit artificial. I'm left for some time afterwards with a gummy saccharin palate, which will probably only go away once Ive smoked something more robust.

Its a very light smoke, but seems a little unsure of itself. Would have been really nice without the omnipresent berry casing, because the tobacco itself seems very nice. As it happens, I'm glad I bought it, because it helped steer me away from aromatics, Petersons and special edition tobaccos quicker than expected. However I'm still searching for a reliable smoke to be my mainstay while I try out other things.

Pipe Used: Carey African Meer

Purchased From: J N Barber

ELF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ELF (40)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Mild Very Pleasant

I started Buy'g Peterson Special Reserve(each year)..Since 2011. Every Year..Peterson uses Virginia+Burley;as"Core"Ingredients(with Cavendish Tobacco-with Different,,Flavours+Cuts)The tin description..Usually mentions"Cavendish"..This tin does not.I find this blend,has Cavendish...But i find it Smokes"Drier",than Other..Annual Reserve Offerings. I find the Tin Aroma,is More Berries,,of the Dark Variety(black-rasp.-cherry-currant)I tried it in A BrighamGiant,LorenzettiJulius,PioneerGourdCallabash...Regardless of pipe size,Non filter,or Filter..This tobacco is Very Nice.Smokes cool;Room Aroma is Fabulous.When finished..Ash is White(most Aromatic Tobaccos,,finish off Grey),,Very Good Indicator-How Pure..Tobacco-Is...This Tobacco a BEAUTY...And by far the Nicest PetersonAnnualOffering..I've Smoked

Pipe Used: BrighamGiant,LorenzettiJulius,PioneerCala

Age When Smoked: New Tin

Purchased From: Shefield and Sons/CityPlace//Wpg.Canada

Similar Blends: Peterson"LuxuryBlend,Connoiseur'sChoice".

Christrom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Christrom (18)

Easy to light, easy to pack, cool easy burn, the fruit taste was a little too much for me. It was a natural taste but felt like I was smoking a fruit tea. If you like summer fruits you will adore this, give it a try. Not for me though.

Pipe Used: Mr brog

Purchased From: smoke king

Mild Mild Full Pleasant

Special Reserve 2014 . This has a fabulous unlit aroma , you get a great Virginia smell with a delicious fruitiness to it . The actual mixture is very intriguing in appearance as it contains a broad spectrum of different colours , right from jet Black to light Golden . Moistness is good as well , making for superb lighting up . Once lit you realize how special this is , it burns very evenly and steadily delivering a fantastic smoke . The flavour is divine , you get a great Virginia taste with the mix being leveled out by the Burley , whilst all along there is the Berries just adding there eminence in a gentle fashion . It can be inhaled with the up-most ease (if you choose to) and Nicotine level is brilliant , neither making your head spin nor is it unnoticeable . I can smoke this for hours without any bite even if heavily drawn . Room note is pleasant as it is nice and light so would suit any non-smokers around . I really cant find any negative points for this .... pure greatness !!

Pipe Used: Commoys

Purchased From: Smoke King

H Gillman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
H Gillman (32)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

I enjoy this one emensely. I bought a tin and opened it immediately. The fruity sweetness is very similar to Concorde grapes. The cut ribbons are a nice contrast between lights and darks. The can is nicely done. It looks a fair bit more "classy" than the "cartoonish" tins for other specials. The tobacco is packed tight in a neatly folded cellophane pouch. Gravity feeding into a large bowl, charring, tamping then relighting gives a very mellow, smooth and sweet smoke with no bite. The moisture level is adequate for immediate use. Top to mid to bottom gives a very relaxing smoke. I tend to inhale these mild ones through my nose and savour the flavour. I am a predominant English flake smoker and love Latakia and perique, but this one is one I will savour. I bought 3 more tins to let mature a year or two. I will update accordingly. Having said that, this is definitely worth trying.

Pipe Used: Several Peterson's

Purchased From: Jades Smokers Corner

natibo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
natibo (40)
Medium Very Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Every once in a while a get a craving, a real craving, to smoke a good aromatic. With this blend just coming out, and being higher on the nic side, I just had to try it. I was disappointed. While I wish it had more depth and flavor at the end, it's an aro. The smell is wonderful. I will smoke a bowl on my way to work in the morning and find myself craving the next bowl all day long at work.

I bumped this up to 3 stars. If you mix it with about 1/3 C&D Dark Burley, it's awesome.

Pipe Used: L'Antara 2 Egg straight apple