Missouri Pride is the kind of blend that most pipe enthusiasts would associate with the Missouri Meerschaum corn cob experience. This is a blend of superb quality Burleys with some Virginias added, and minimal top flavoring. The blend is made up of broken flake, with some ribbon-cut Burley, for a nice, even burn, and the flake processing adds a deeper flavor to the tobacco. For a smooth blend with real tobacco flavor you can enjoy all day long, try a pouch of Missouri Pride.

BrandMissouri Meerschaum
Extremely Mild
Taste
Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable

Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Burley blends are not a heavy part of my rotation, so I took a little longer getting to know Missouri Pride before posting a review. I've smoked almost the entire pouch now, and my feelings about it are generally positive but mixed.

Smells wonderful in the pouch. The topping is very light. I can't quite put my finger on exactly what it is, but it smells nice. The consistency is a mix of coarse cut and broken flakes. Not dense, heavily pressed flakes like Samuel Gawith, but more loose. They actually fall apart fairly easily. Very easy texture to pack and keep lit. Perfect moisture level, ready to smoke straight from the pouch.

On lighting, and for the first several puffs, I get that same tannic taste that I mentioned in my review of Country Gentleman. I'm guessing it's from the Burley, and that both of these blends have the same type of Burley in common. It tapers off as the Virginia kicks in.

I don't perceive the tasty things that other people seem to find in Burley. No toasted nuts, or buttered popcorn, or any of that. To me, Burley tastes very plain, just straight tobacco, almost cigarette-like. Some of my least favorite tobaccos are all or nearly all Burley. That said, I do appreciate the leveling-out effect that Burley can have in a blend, as well as its excellent burning qualities. So I'm not entirely opposed to it.

There's enough sweetness here, whether it's from the topping or the Virginia, to make it a pleasant smoke for me. And it stays nice all the way through the bowl. Very consistent tasting tobacco. Not a lot of complexity though. Pretty simple smoke. Not enough going on to keep my interest if I'm sitting down with the sole intent of smoking and enjoying my pipe. But as a "shop tobacco" for smoking while tinkering around in the garage, driving somewhere, or gardening it's perfect. Load it, light it, forget about it. Unobtrusive, "no brainer" tobacco. There's a place for that. That's Missouri Pride's primary appeal to me.

So while I'm not exactly thrilled with it, there's absolutely nothing objectionable about it, and I think I'll miss it when it's gone. Probably have to get a couple more pouches to keep around.

Pipe Used: cobs

Cobman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cobman (12)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Unnoticeable

A traditional American blend with no pretenses. It is what it is...a straight burly blend with just a touch of wonderfully sweet Virginia to add a little depth and complexity. The initial aroma was just plain nutty-fresh burly and a very slight bright Virginia edge. Like Country Gentleman, this looks like fresh-rubbed flake. It packed well, and lit easily. It doesn't have much of a room-note at all, other than just a good clean mild tobacco aroma. The taste was just good, plain, reliable top-shelf burly, nice and nutty, with just a smidgen of Virginia sweetness that does not deter from the clean burly flavor, but rather compliments it. This blend took me back to what corn-cob pipe-smoking is all about. Back to the basics...nothing fancy...the real thing. This was so good I had to sit out on the porch and finish the smoke while listening to the night mountain sounds, and reflect on the true meaning of life...... this was not easy to do with just a 15-minute smoke, but I managed. I would call this a light medium smoke, mild enough for a beginner, but enough to know you have smoked something. As expected, it burned cool and bite free all the way to the finish, which was way too soon. This is the best burly blend I can ever remember smoking. It left me with a wholesome good feeling of being glad to be alive and an American. This blend is just like the Mountain Spirit....unpretentious and steadfast.

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum Mini

RJ Beattie Jr Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RJ Beattie Jr (4)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Real good smoke, if ya don't want all the pretentious flavours, I personally like tobacco to taste like tobacco. So I am very pleased, all around everyday smoke. Slight choclate and nutty taste

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum Washington

Purchased From: pipes and cigars. com

Missouri Pride is a straight forward Burley/Virgnia with no bite and mild flavor. The Burley gave the blend some body and the Virginia added some sweetness. It is an upscale version of Half and Half (without the bite), and most certainly could be enjoyed in a cob.

Pipestud

JimInks (2040)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

The topping is faint enough that I can't quite tell what it is. The Virginias are lightly grassy and citrusy sweet. The high quality burleys are moderately earthy with a milk chocolate flavor, a few nutty notes, and a hint of molasses. Once in a while, I got a barely noticeable cigarette hit, and I seem to notice the Virginia a little more near the finish. Has a mild nic-hit. Won't bite. Burns cool at a moderate pace with a consistent taste, and barely any moisture in the bowl. Needs few relights. Not complex, but it's not meant to be. It's designed to be an all day pleasant smoke with just enough strength to enjoy.

Scotty42 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Scotty42 (6)

I AM A BURLEY LOVER. EVERY MORNING I FIRE UP A BOWL OF SCOTTY'S BUTTERNUT BURLEY WITH A CUP OF JOE. I HAVE FOR YEARS NOW. I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR A STRAIHT FORWARD BURLEY BLEND WITHOUT ALL THE TOPPINGS FOR WHEN I'M IN THAT MOOD. I'VE TRIED MANY WITHOUT REALLY CATCHING ON TO ONE THAT I COULD SAY "THIS IS IT!!"....UNTIL NOW. THIS IS IT!! PERFECT BLEND...DEEP TOBACCO FLAVOR...RICH TASTE & NO BITE WHAT SO EVER!! PERFECT...PERFECT...PERFECT. RUSS...YOU DID IT MY FRIEND!! THANK YOU!!

Pipe Used: MISSOURI MEERSCHAUM COUNTRY GENTELMAN

Age When Smoked: 3 WEEKS

Purchased From: PIPES & CIGARS

Similar Blends: NOTHING I'VE EVER SMOKED!!.

PhillyB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PhillyB (65)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This blend is what most people want from a cob experience. Simple, straightforward, and satisfying. The smell I get from the pouch is mildly chocolate and not much else. The smoke is pretty much the same with a little nuts coming though here and there. Very one-note. No bite at all and very smooth retro-hale. The room note will not be a prize winner for most non-smokers because of the "definitely tobacco" smell, but is unassuming enough that it won't make the average person even think twice when they walk past. Might not become my go-to blend but I will definitely enjoy what I got to the fullest.

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum General

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

Again I visit this blend as I am a fan of Russ O and his blends and I am a fan of the Missouri Meershaum company and their great smoking corn cobs.

They bill this as the perfect tobacco to smoke in a corn cob pipe and after smoking a full pouch of this blend, I will not in any way argue the point, it is! It is a rough cut blend composed of medium brown tobaccos. It is a mix of burley and Virginia tobaccos with a pouch note of a rich, fresh nature with a light chocolate scent in the background. It is the perfect moisture content to smoke right out of the pouch, and is easy to load and pack and is very easy to light and keep lit. Upon lighting my first bowl of this blend, I was imediately hit with a very rich and tasty smoking experience with a wonderful soft flavor, slightly sweet, a very nice room aroma and my mouth actually watered while smoking it. This is for sure the perfect blend in a cob! I am a fan of Half and Half tobacco, I always have some on hand and it has always been a pleasure to smoke in a corn cob pipe. I have to say this blend by Russ O takes it up a notch, much milder and no tongue burn, and this is easily an all day blend. I never heard a complaint from the wife as to the room note, and the great thing about it is that it burns all the way down without getting bitter or too strong. I burns clean and dry and leaves little dottle in the bottom of the bowl. I was able to smoke down to just a fine powder of ash easily with this blend. No this blend is not multi faceted and complex, it is just a simple, great tasting, pleasure to smoke blend that marries with a corn cob while also being great in a briar or meer. I hope this one sticks around as I plan of smoking a lot of it. I highly recommend this blend and this might just be Russ O's best blend.

Pipe Used: briar, cobs, meer

Age When Smoked: 2 weeks after recieving order

Purchased From: pipesandtobacco.com

Another rough looking coarse cut MM blend from Russ, this one with a hay-type bag aroma interspersed with hints of roasted nuts of some kind. No evidence in the aroma of a topping.

I was less impressed with this one than either of the other two MM blends or Angler's Dream, but this is a very worthwhile burley/Virginia blend. Almost no complexity, as befitting the blends this one purports to band with, but a nice steady hay flavor with roasted nuts... same as in the aroma. A bit of roughness as the bowl progresses but no bitterness if smoked at a normal slow pace. Smoked fast, this will become a cigarette in short order. I didn't notice any heavy nicotine, nor could I discern the topping, although I did sense (barely) the existence of one. This one might be the best of the bunch, however, for those that enjoy OTC's like CH, PA and Edgeworth. I likely will not purchase any more but it was an enjoyable smoke.

slashes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
slashes (11)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Chocolatey and slightly nutty burley's with a little sweetness from the virginia's. Burns nicely and doesn't bite. I find it to be bit a better than the OTC burley's,It has more flavor and is slower burning.

andmer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
andmer (5)
Medium None Detected Full Unnoticeable

hmmm. I was expecting something vastley different, The Virginia is very clearly the dominant characteristic. It's a nice virginia flavor no doubt, but I was expecting something else, more earth, more deeper type notes.

Overall it's a nice, good smoking blend, but I wouldn't call it a burley blend, I would call it more a virginia blend, to MY palate at least. YMMV.

Pipe Used: neptune

½ bowl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
½ bowl (88)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

Deep Burley flavor that is distinctly nutty, with a very faint cocoa edge. Sweet Virginia in perfect balance keeps you pulling -- to draw-in the full, creamy smoke. Plenty of flavorful, natural sweetness without OTC aromatic nonsense. No downside issues. This pushes all other codger Burleys to the back of the shelf.

Age When Smoked: 3 yrs. in a Mason jar.

Purchased From: P&C

Similar Blends: D&R Two Timer Gold -- but better, IMO.

Stinkypipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stinkypipe (156)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

Just way too mild for me. Love their pipes but this is just not anything to really speak of. You simply can not get much of any flavor or taste from this blend. Just not much there and never does show up throughout the smoke. The best description I can give is BLAND!

Pipe Used: Obviously a cob

Theosprey247 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Theosprey247 (69)

Typical burley taste with an occasional sweetness from the Virginias. I really like this blend. I wish they sold it in bulk. Easy to light and stays lit. The only drawback is it sometimes turns sour near the bottom of the bowl. No bite either.

Pipe Used: Cob, Peterson

Purchased From: Pipesandcigars.com smokingpipes.com

ASmithee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ASmithee (17)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I love this blend. I could smoke this all day, every day. The burley provides the body to the smoke and the virginia gives a sweetness that lasts to the bottom of the bowl. It's not too heavy and absolutely no bite. Just a delight to smoke.

Pipe Used: Corn Cob

Purchased From: P&G

Der Pfeifenraucher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Der Pfeifenraucher (57)
Strong None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

Straight up burley is what you get here. Description says Virginia, OK, maybe a pinch. Topping? I didn't find it. This is a good, old fashioned, monochromatic, stuff-your-pipe-and-sit-on-the-porch-whittling-a-stick-Burley. Three stars by itself but really shines, IMO, as a blender for all those sweet aromatic cavendishes at the candy store. Mixed at half or even two thirds rate MP you can mellow out the topping and really boost the natural flavor and N content of your smoke. After several of these experiments with straight Burley and aromatic cavendishes, I'm thinking I may be mixing my favorite blends instead of finding my favorites by trial and error from other people's blends.

Pipe Used: cob

Purchased From: pandc

I really like this blend. I find it very relaxing due to the fact I don't much have to think about it as I'm smoking it. It's consistent and reliable and is flavorful enough to meet my needs. The Burley is what I taste the most with the Virginia not far behind. It's sweet, earthy, mildly nutty, and has that "fresh" note that I get from Bright Virginias. I don't get enough of the topping to identify, but I'd probably be able to tell if it were missing. This is another winner in the MM line.

Mild to medium in body and flavor. Burns best for me if the broken flakes are rubbed out.

Pipe Used: MM Country Gentleman, MM Diplomat Apple

Taste Buds Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taste Buds (65)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a chunky burley with a little Virginia added. There is a slight sweetness from the casing which is very lightly applied. It burns cool and mild from start to finish. It has a light sweetness and is very gentle. This is a delicious blend that tastes great bowl after bowl. Russ has done it again. I rub it out slightly before loading. This is also excellent when mixed 60% MP to 40% Country Gentleman from the same blender.