Country Gentleman represents a unique departure among pouch tobaccos. This blend features a mixture of premium bright and red Virginias, which is enriched with Perique, and a small amount of dark-fired Kentucky for body. This is a tobacco that would be at home in a tin with a higher price tag, but to befit bearing the Missouri Meerschaum name, it comes to you at an everyday bargain price. Enjoy the naturally sweet, and tangy character of Country Gentleman.

BrandMissouri Meerschaum
CutMixture
Packaging1.5 Pouch
Strength
Taste

I've been smoking the new Country Gentleman and Missouri Pride tobaccos almost continuously, and to the exclusion of everything else, since they arrived in the mail a couple days ago. I need a little more time getting to know Missouri Pride before I post a review, but Country Gentleman I think I've got a pretty good grasp on.

Smells great in the pouch. There might be a light topping on it. I can't taste it but I can smell that sweet fragrance that you smell when you walk into a tobacco shop that has bulk aromatics in glass jars. Just a whiff.

Unlike most pouch tobacco, it's not necessary to dry Country Gentleman before packing your pipe. It's already at perfect smoking consistency. The coarse cut makes for easy packing, lighting, and smoking.

I get a little bit of bitterness and astringency on first light. I don't know how else to describe it. It reminds me of the tannic flavor of a tea that's been brewed too long. It subsides as the Virginia picks up strength and sweetness. That interplay, or transition, from bitter to sweet is one of the interesting things about this smoke.

Country Gentleman reminds me a lot of McConnell Scottish Cake, but with less Virginia sweetness, more Kentucky tang, and maybe slightly less Perique. The Perique is definitely subdued here, more of a condiment than a main ingredient. I don't get the tingly sensation on my tongue that I get with stronger Perique blends. There's plenty to like about this tobacco even if you're not a Perique Freak. I'm not (usually) an all-day smoker, but if I was, I think Country Gentleman could easily be an all-day smoke for me.

Good, tasty, easy-smoking tobacco that also happens to be a good value. $4.95 for a 1.5 oz. pouch seems real reasonable to me.

Pipe Used: cobs of course

Similar Blends: Robert McConnell - Scottish Cake.

Cobman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cobman (12)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I am a big fan of VaPers. I love the combination of good Virginias with just the right amount of Perique, so I was really looking forward to trying this blend. My normal maintenance smoke is GH Louisiana Flake, so I was curious to see how this compared. The initial aroma from the pouch was just good, clean Virginia, maybe more than one kind. I did catch just a tiny whiff of Perique, sort of like a promise of things to come. It looked just like ready-rubbed flake. It packed very nicely and lit easily. The first puff had the expected slight catsup-like aroma common to these blends, but it quickly settled down to an outstanding medium-bodied Virginia flavor, clean and slightly sweet, with just the right amount of Perique spice to keep it interesting. It smoked cool, with no-bite at all, not even the threat. My wife (who does not smoke) informed me that the room note was nondescript, just a nice clean smell, and not unpleasant. Louisiana Flake is a bit strong (to my mind), and I can't really smoke two full-sized bowls of it back to back without getting a little loopy, but Country Gentleman, while not by any means mild, is a blend I could (and probably will) smoke all-day. It burned evenly with no re-lights needed, and the taste never changed, all the way to the bottom. The short 15-minute smoke definitely left me wanting more. I think I have a new favorite.

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum Mini

Similar Blends: Gawith Hoggarth Louisiana Flake.

JimInks (2058)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The red Virginia is mild to medium tangy dark fruit sweet with a touch of earth, while the bright Virginia offers just a little citrus and grass. The perique is a minor player, offering a little spice and plum. There's a dash of dark fired Kentucky that provides a little spice and smokiness. The nic-hit is mild. Not a complex blend, but the flavor should satisfy the smoker who wants an all day VaPer that's got just enough spice to notice. Needs a little hydration to bring out the red Virginia, but burns clean, cool, well and even with almost no moisture in the bowl. Needs few relights. More of two and a half star entry level VaPer, but it gets three for those who are starting out or are looking for a milder VaPer.

Perique Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Perique (150)

Pouch note is very light, with a pleasant, plummy, dried fruit aroma barely detectable over the smell of the plastic pouch. Moisture content is perfect: ready to smoke immediately with no drying time needed. The charring light, however, is of sharp contrast, bringing a pungent, Perique-forward flavor, framed in earthy Kentucky, with the sweeter Virginias further in the background. This blend immediately reminds me of McConnell's Scottish Cake, though with a ribbon cut.  As the first third of the bowl progresses, the Perique balances out with the Virginia and Kentucky to create a very smooth and mild smoke.  I find this blend to smoke mellower in a cob, and more assertively in briar.

By mid bowl, there's a bit more tang.  No bite whatsoever, but a bit more intensity to the smoke and a more hot and sharp flavor profile.  When sipped slowly, one can extract a bit of sweetness from the Virginias. But generally, this is a smooth, rich, leathery and lightly earthy blend, with a hint of plum always in the background - easy to pack, easy to light, smoking dry and cool.  The finish is of damp wood and pine needles, burning to a dry, gray ash.

Country Gentleman is an excellent introduction to VaPer blends; a fine, dry-smoking blend for those who prefer a lighter, smoother VaPer (or rather, VaBurPer), and an economical alternative for lovers of Scottish Cake. This could easily be an all-day smoke for lovers of this style, and I can see myself reaching for this blend quite often as a daytime VaPer.

My only (minor) complaint is the packaging, though perhaps I am overly sensitive to the scent-inhibiting effect of thick plastic. The plastic pouch detracts from what might otherwise be a plummy, earthy and woodsy, natural VaBur nose.  The key here is to jar this immediately upon arrival.  Overall, this an excellent blend, and like most of Russ's blends, it's priced well below its class.  A great intro to the style,  or for those who desire a milder VaPer/Kentucky blend.

Similar Blends: Robert McConnell - Scottish Cake.

The Perique element added some interest in this solid blend. Not really full of flavor overall, but the Burley gave it a little more punch than what you would normally expect from a blend of this type. Similar in some respects to the old HOW blend, Country Doctor.

Pipestud

Brown and chunky coarse cut that came nice and dry and smelled of figgy perique and of a nice clean Virginia. Some darker notes as well, probably from the Kentucky.

A nicely balanced blend with the Virginia at the forefront and the perique and Kentucky sharing second billing. I got the impression that there wasn't much perique here but the merger of it with the Kentucky gave this a nice spicy hit that was more than the sum of its parts. This was nowhere near as powerful as my reference VaPer, Telegraph Hill, and yet it fills a niche in my rotation. Comparisons to GLP's Stratford were inevitable for me and while the Stratford is more of a true Vaper, the Kentucky jolt in this one won me over, all the while this being somewhat lighter in flavor than Stratford. I also noticed to my chagrin that relights with this one were mildly troublesome, with an ashy bitterness coming to the fore. But it dissipated quickly, and luckily this one did not need many relights. It looks like a cheap blend, and indeed it is inexpensive but it would not be embarrassed by the best out there. I love it when these OTC-type blends shine this brightly, and Russ' Anglers Dream is another. Really well done. I'll probably not smoke a lot of this but I'll always have some around. I give this 3.5 stars but rounded to 4 because if you consider this an OTC because it comes in a pouch, prepare to be wowed beyond belief.

Alas, unlike the first reviewer I did not detect much Perique or any Kentucky, but nearly all rather bland VAs. Oddly, I also got some tongue burn from this blend, which is unusal for me, esp from VA blends. Overall, despite the burn, this came across as basically innocous, even somewhat generic. Hopefully others will find it more rewarding.

Pipe Used: cobs only

Purchased From: pipes & cigars

cobacco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cobacco (52)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Can I just say yum? Guess not. Nice thick, easy to use plastic bag. Bag note: raisin bread. Moisture level: perfect ready to smoke! Relight very easy and wonderful sweet flavor ... raisin toast? Suspicious there might be a cinnamon/vanilla light topping? Nice quality tobacco with excellent pipe manners. Perique is more of a sweet black pepper than a hot green mustardy feel, very tasty! Stronger than mild; a weak medium. Pack a bit on the firm side or tamp for flavor. Can be smoked hard; flavor and temp stay good. Flavor is great to the bottom of the bowl. Leaves the pipe clean and dry; practically no dottle. This is a brilliant marketing move by Missouri Meerschaum. I hope to find this wonderful stuff for sale at Wallgreens along with the pipes - look out Captain Black! PS Order from smokingpipes.com and you can get 1/2 ounce samples of Cornell & Diehl for free (try Pirate Kake). Happy smoking. Hope this review is helpful.

Pipe Used: MM Country Gentleman COB

Age When Smoked: New product

RJ Beattie Jr Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RJ Beattie Jr (4)

Another hit from MM, love it, just enough perique, I want some daily. Good clean smoke, but I like unflavored like this.this is just simple everyday smoke, just like what I look for in tobacco

Pipe Used: MM General, MM hardwood

Purchased From: pipes and cigars. com

Taste Buds Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taste Buds (65)

Country Gentleman is an excellent Virginia/Perique blend with a touch of Kentucky. It is a mild mixture, but very flavorful. The perique is added with a deft hand. Lovely to puff on and very cool. Russ has another winner on his hands. This is an excellent mixture for a pouch tobacco, but I would be even happier if it were available in bulk. You can taste the quality tobaccos used and the lovely taste it leaves on the tongue. A real pleasure to smoke. I also mix this with Missouri Pride from the same blender(60%MP to 40%CG).

Purchased From: Smokingpipes

Rhapsody Baccy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rhapsody Baccy (16)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

An Anglo-American blend made Yankee by the addition of Burley (nuttiness and butteriness with texture) and Kentucky leaf which gives it a dark but smooth aroma with a base of light or “bright” Virginias that keeps the whole thing nice and mellow. Many in these categories do away with all Oriental leaf while others use it sparingly in the background along with the standard Perique and/or Latakia.

In fact- I think it's time we all bite the bullet and divorce these blends from the "English" catch-all, if anything, as a testament to Gregory Pease, Russ Ouelette, the boys at C&D et al. in really taking a once-corner of the pipe-tobacco world and it to the fore of both acclaim, respectability, and an indelible part of the pipe-tobacco tapestry.

If Missouri Pride is a straight American (VA+Burley) and Patriot an English then Country Gentleman is squarely what I would categorize as an "American-Bayou" blend with its addition of Perique.

Always smooth this tobacco impressed the hell out of me and has quite a following- smokes and tastes like something much more expensive and rare. Blended by one of the rock stars of the Pipe Tobacco world (think Michelle Rolland) Country Gentleman is tailored-made for Perique lovers who still are looking for something balanced and complex.

Is it a Va-Per? Sort of-- except for that Kentucky in there which makes it a very different smoke, from a body and flavor-profile, than the typical VaPer (and so I do not consider it one... ) Can get a little bitter and dark if puffed too enthusiastically and the Perique certainly throws freshly-ground black pepper into the palate. It's a hearty pour-yourself-a-bourbon smoke at home with an Old Fashioned or a straight Rye.

Pipe Used: MM Various

Age When Smoked: New Pouch

A nice spicy VaPer with just the right amount of Kentucky. The Kentucky doesn't impose on the VaPer, just supplements it with another layer of flavor and depth. Nicely done.

Mild to medium in body and flavor. May need a couple of extra matches to get it going. Ok after that.

Pipe Used: MM Country Gentleman, MM Mark Twain

Darwin7848 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darwin7848 (1)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Tolerable

This may be the ultimate codger blend, and that's not a backhanded compliment. No muss, no fuss, slap it in a cob and go. Clean burning, mild tasting, biteless, all day VA good 'un with just a tinge of St. James spice. A Legend bowl full is just about right for a work smoke break. If this pouched product could be considered a "drugstore" blend then it's head & shoulders above that funky bitey bunch. Mr. Russ done good.

Pipe Used: Cob

Purchased From: P&C

I was given a pretty good sample of this from a friend who attended the Chicago show three years ago. I Smoked a few bowls of it right away and then jarred up the rest and just recently got back to it to finish the sample.

When I originally tried the blend I had two thoughts. One, this tastes like a cornell & Diehl blend. Two, I could have swore they said this is a VaPer, but it sure tastes like a VaBur to me.

I now see I was wrong on the first thought as it was made by Russ Oulette, but I will stand by my second thought as I see it does have some Burley in it and, for the life of me, I have had a hard time tasting Perique in this one. It must be very lightly applied or just muddled in with the taste of the Kentucky.

Overall it is an enjoyable smoke. Not very complex and I am sure that is not its aim. It is Virginia and burley. It is old timey and Amiercan. It is something that would go well in a cob. I would guess these are the things that this blend was intended to do and for that, it serves its purpose.

Pipe Used: I did use a MM Country Gent for a few bowls.

Jevverrett Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jevverrett (82)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I got this out of curiosity. MM being a solid company, I figured their tobaccos would be good. It's a Russ oulette blend, of which I have tried only a few.

The moisture content is good to go out of the pouch. Odd bc it's not sealed on arrival. I did bump that up a bit eventually, to great effect. Otherwise it smells good in the pouch. Not much out of the perique nose- wise. The cut of the leaf is good. It packs well, and it burns well. Usually one relight is about it, and it increases in flavor a bit in doing so. It's tasty, but not outstanding. The dark fired is there. As are the red vas. The perique is just a dash I think for flavor and not a good kick.

I would and have recommended this to others. The pouch is convenient and it works well that way. It could be an all day smoke if not for a small tongue burn I get if I go nuts on this puffing away. The price point is great too.

Pipe Used: Petersons x105

Purchased From: Smokingpipes

Similar Blends: Hearth and home Ajs vaper.

Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I am a big fan of Russ O and I tend to like his blends unless they are his extreme aro blends he dabbles in. I also am a huge Missouri Meershaum fan, they are very nice people making a great corn cob and I smoke them a lot. therefore it is natural I would try some of their tobacco blends.

This blend is a mix of American fire cured leaf with some dark fired and perique tobacco. It if a rough cut blens composed of colors of brown ranging from light to dark in color. The pouch note is sweet, pungent, peat like, and while smelling of Virginia it also has a tangy sweet ness that makes me think it has some type of flavoring in the background. It is very close to the moisture content to smoke it right out of the pouch, but a few hours drying make it more to my taste. It packs well and takes a couple of lights to get fully burning and one lit stays lit well. It burns well creating a deep grey ash with lighter edges on the top. The room note while smoking it is pleasurable to me, might just be tolerable to some but this is typical of perique blends. It is medium to full in strength and is a little more bold than blends like Escudo and it is a little more raw in character. This is typical of blends by C and D who make this blend and with some age on it I am sure this will improve. I has a great sweet flavor upon lighting with the spicy perique in the background and the flue cured leaf giving it boldness and the Virginia imparting it's sweetness on the tongue. It is very good until it goes past the halfway point in the bowl, as then it picks up in strength and continues to get stronger towards the bottom of the bowl and once reaching the bottom it is quite strong reaching the point that it no longer is pleasurable. I find I rather dump the remainder before burning it all the way to the bottom as it is rather harsh at that point.

This is a good blend, not in the league of very fine vapers but then again it is not in that price range and it does smoke well in a cob. I would recommend trying it and am putting some aside to age and will return to it in the future to see how it matures.

Pipe Used: briar

Age When Smoked: 2 weeks after recieving my order

Purchased From: pipesandcigar.com

TN Cowboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TN Cowboy (5)

This one has grown on me. I'm not sure if it's the 9+ months in a mason jar or that my taste buds have changed, but I think I can finally appreciate this blend. When I first received it, it was very dry--perfect smoking moisture. I hydrated it slightly using the bowl and damp paper towel technique before cellaring it. Everyone (including me) keeps calling this a "clean" tasting blend, and another reviewer likened it to a very tea-like tannic taste that is not at all unpleasant. For a VaPer, it's on the very dry edge of sweetness and, as others have mentioned, the perique and Kentucky are very restrained. I went on somewhat of a VaPer binge today, smoking this, Viprati and Black Parrot, and this was a welcome relief from those very sweet blends. I think I may try mixing Viprati and CG 50/50 and end up with the perfect VaPer. :)

Pipe Used: cob, meer

Purchased From: P&C of course

The Hun Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Hun (28)

Another of Russ Ouellette's VaPer blends, of which he is a master for my money. This blend strikes a balance between other of Russ' VaPers (ex. Louisiana Red) and C&D VaPers (ex. Bayou Morning). I guess it's the addition of the Kentucky to Country Gentleman that hits this mark.

The tobacco burns cool and dry. It delivers the sweetness of the virginias and the spice of the perique. Although I recommend it I still like other Ouellette blends better. This is really a two and a half star mix for me.

Pipe Used: various briars, cobs

Age When Smoked: fresh from pouch

Purchased From: pipesandcigars

chgo.piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chgo.piper (37)

Damn fine vir/per... Comes ready to smoke out of the pouch ( no drying time). Just be sure to transfer it to a mason jar asap to keep from drying out any further/freshness.

Pipe Used: Meerschaum and MM Mark Twain Cob

Purchased From: pipesandcigars

Mosessupposes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mosessupposes (10)

Not much to say that hasn't been said. This is a very good blend free of aromatic flavorings and totally bite free. Recommended strongly. Don't let the low price or pouch packaging prevent you from trying this.

Pipe Used: Cob and Peterson

Age When Smoked: Just purchased

J. Ward Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
J. Ward (32)

This is another very tasty VaPer from Russ Oulette. The red virginias are sweet, deep, slightly tangy and a little earthy; and there's light, citrusy grass from the bright virginias. The perique is expertly applied and compliments with characteristic notes of raisin and plum, and add a bit of pepper mid-bowl. The kentucky lends a bit of body and smoky spice, making this blend really stand out. Absolutely superb. Almost hard to believe the price and the fact that it comes in a pouch, although that also creates the one downside to this blend: it comes a little dry. Rehydrate this baccy and you'll have a blend that'll keep you coming back for more.

Pipe Used: MM Cobs

TwelveAMnTX Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TwelveAMnTX (28)

Missouri Meerschaum - Country Gentleman is a fitting name for a tobacco with Louisiana perique, Kentucky & Virginias. It's a real interesting Va/Per tobacco to me with a lot of flavor components that I like all mixed into one tobacco. I've been trying some Va/Per & Kentucky blends lately, this hits the spot for both, all in one blend.

The aroma in the jar is wonderful, you get a smoky scent from the Kentucky mixed with the figgy perique on top the lovely aroma of the Virginias. It comes out of the pouch ready to smoke, no drying required & burns pretty good after you get it going. I went a little puff happy a couple times & got a mild bite, so now I tend to take it slow, might have a couple relights, but it's a better smoking experience slow. There's a nice tangy sweetness to the Virginias. I seem to get more of the dark fired smokiness than the perique taste in the blend, although you know it's there flavor-wise, it's just not a major player.

This is a really good tobacco at a great price. If you like a light Va/Per & the smokiness of dark fired Kentucky, you owe it to yourself to give this a try.

Pipe Used: MM cobs

Age When Smoked: fresh to a month in the jar

clanobucklin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
clanobucklin (99)

Ok I'm trying this blend to see what I think. So far it's not bad if you like cheap Vapers. The Perique is mildly spicy and the Virginias add some body and natural sweetness. There is some kind of casing that reminds me of caramel - but it's not cloying or overly sweet.

So for what it is - it's good.

This blend would work in any kind of pipe - so if you like Russ's blends - I say give it a try - albeit it is nothing like AnniKake, Louisiana Red or Va Spice. Mild

Pipe Used: Rossi Rubino