American Patriot is a highly unusual type of blend to find in a pouch. This is a Latakia-based blend, enhanced by quality Virginia leaf, and the exotic influence of Turkish Smyrna, with just a touch of Burley for excellent burning characteristics. A light top note of Kentucky Bourbon makes for a nice addition to the aroma, but is undetectable in the flavor. For a superb value in an English-style blend, light up a bowl of American Patriot.

BrandMissouri Meerschaum
Strength
Extremely Mild
Taste

Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I have smoked Russ Ouellette’s other very good OTC style blends like Angler’s Dream and Old Tartan but I think that American Patriot, the first of the MMC blends I have tried, is the best I have smoked thus far. American Patriot is an “American English” style light aromatic. The Smyrna for me is what makes this lightly sweet, smoky blend. The proportion of Latakia is perfect and the touch of Burley adds just a slight nutty background flavor. I have spent the afternoon smoking AP out of both a cob (of course!) and a briar. I prefer the cob but either way you can’t go wrong. It comes pipe ready with no need to dry it and burns with no bite. I could just barely get a hint of the bourbon scent and little to no taste of it in the pipe. AP could be enjoyed by aromatic and nonaromatic smokers alike. AP is could be one of those “set it and forget it” type all day blends for some folks. I would rate AP based on how it stands up to other pouch/OTC style blends and this blend offers a lot of “bang for the buck.” AP is at price point similar to other OTC blends but in terms of flavor, complexity (compared to OTC blends) and the fact that this offers little or no PG like other OTC’s, American Patriot is the easy hands down winner!

Pipe Used: Cobs and a briar

JimInks (2036)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The bourbon topping is very light and tasty, and doesn't detract much from the tobacco. The burley is a minor player, nutty sweet with a touch of earth. The Virginia is a little grassy and mildly citrusy. The cavendish adds some sweetness, helping to push this blend into the "American English" category. The Cyprian latakia is a moderate addition; a little smokey and woody. The same is true of the Oriental/Turkish Smyrna, which also produces a hint of sweet spice. Well blended, you get the entire range of flavors in nearly every puff. Burns at a reasonable pace, cool, clean, and dry with no bite or dullness. Leaves little moisture in the bowl, and needs few relights. The nic-hit is almost medium level and the mixture is a repeatable smoke during the day if you so wish. Gets three and a half stars.

SeoulSister Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SeoulSister (37)

I was surprised by this tobacco because this tastes more like a tinned blend. I think it's well blended and I can taste bourbon in this, its mild and not overpowering in anyway and I normally don't like blends with alcohol. I also get a slight smokiness from the Latakia and a sweetness from the Virginias and the topping. This didn't burn hot and I didn't get a bite. Burned nice and even and was surprisingly smooth. I enjoyed this blend very much.

Cobman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cobman (12)

I get in the mood for Latakia once in a while, but it's not something I like to smoke all the time, or not even very often. To me, Latakia is like Dewayne (The Rock) Johnson...no matter how you dress him up, or down, any place he goes, he will be noticed. Latakia has always been a bit too much "in your face" for me. But I was determined to have an open mind, to do a fair evaluation on this blend. I took a big swig of tea, a deep breath and opened the pouch. As I expected, I was immediately hit with the smokey blast of Latakia, but not really as bad as I thought it would be. I could actually smell some other components, like a little sweet Virginia, something a bit on the spicy side, and some sort of sweetish liquor... maybe Bourbon? I took a few deep sniffs to get the full effect, and I was surprised. This may not be as bad as I thought. It was certainly complex, and not really unpleasant. Like the other blends, it appeared to be rubbed flake (or I just don't know what all the different cuts are...). It packed and lit well. After the first few puffs, I got to thinking it really isn't so bad. It actually tasted like a slightly milder version of Seattle Pipe Club's Mississippi River blend. I found myself actually starting to like it. The flavor and aroma was smokey, of course, but not too bad. It reminded me of my smoker when it just starts to settle down to nice coals and smokewood. The room-note was a little smokey, but not unpleasantly so. Around the middle of the bowl, the whiskey flavor moved a bit more to the front, making for an interesting change. There was also a little more spiciness, sort of like the cedar trees after a light morning rain. This continued all the way to the bottom of the bowl. There was never any bite, and it smoked nice and cool. This is a good medium smoke, and would be great for beginners wanting to try a Latakia blend, so they could ease into it. Fans of Mississippi River will love this. It will never be my favorite, but I plan to keep some around for the occasional Latakia experience. Of all the Latakia blends I have smoked, this one is the best to my taste, by far. I actually enjoyed it......

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum Mini

Similar Blends: Seattle Pipe Club Mississippi River.

Suttonwood Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Suttonwood (12)
Mild Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

This is great! This tobacco finds the perfect blend of virginia, latakia, burley and casing. All of the components contribute without overpowering the others. When first lit, the latakia is right there, then it blends right in without disappearing. I like latakia so this was pleasing to me. I don't generally like aromatics, so I was concerned about the casing. It is unobtrusive but contributes to pleasant room note. My wife hates my Balkans, but I don't expect she will mind this. Not to say this is a balkan, far from it. What it is is a smooth all day smoke that has a round flavor that almost seems creamy. It is light, but has great flavor. I will buy more.

Pipe Used: Diplomat cob

Age When Smoked: Fresh out of the pouch

Purchased From: Pipes and cigars

Similar Blends: Yule log.

Pipe Newb Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe Newb (49)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Tobacco is ribbon cut, fairly long strands. For Missouri Meershaum to release this I was mildly and the fact that it's sold in a pouch, I may have expected a shorter cut for a "scoop and smoke" but no matter. I packed this into a MM diplomat and got to work.

Pouch note is sweet cavendish, latakia, and a fairly strong whiskey scent.

Char and initial light - this blend is quite familiar to me (more on that later). I pick up the cavendish fairly quickly, it's sweet and rich akin to tawny port. There is a little cloy there but it's countered by latakia, which comes in as a player just to even it out. There is no evidence of the whiskey topping at all.

Down the bowl, it's more of the same. An initial burst of that port rich sweetness, followed by the latakia playing a part slightly stronger than a condiment. As much as this blend synopsis states it is a latakia-based blend, after sampling some real lat bombs I would put this more as "contains some latakia". This isn't a big deal for me, I like latakia and it is a major player here, but it's not dominant.

Yes, the familiarity. The pouch note, the flavor, even the fact that the sweetness of the smoke almost cancelled out the latakia room note. This blend is incredibly similar to Boswell's Northwoods. I would say it's mechanical properties are slightly better than Northwoods (it was a very even, cool smoke), but the way the flavor transitioned from sweet to smoky, and those flavors were very, very similar.

Very good blend if you like Northwoods, or any English tobacco with the addition of Cavendish.

I am still curious why a bourbon topping was used though, if you don't really taste it in the end product... who cares? At the end of it all, it's a pretty tasty tobacco.

Pipe Used: MM Diplomat (with balsa filter)

Similar Blends: Boswell Northwoods.

Vrikkian Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Vrikkian (8)

A very nice blend. Nice to the nose, the tongue, and the touch. It has a slight Latakia and bourbon smell, tastes smooth and a tiny bit spicy, and doesn't get too hot. You also only have to light once. This can easily be an everyday corn cob smoke for me... And that is saying something since I usually don't like English blends! Russ hits pay dirt again. Priced well, is not wet out of the pouch, and yet didn't get too dry as it sat overnight on my counter.

Pipe Used: MM cob

Age When Smoked: Brand new

Purchased From: Pipesandcigars.com

StageCarp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
StageCarp (8)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Not much more to add.... great stuff ! However.... very irritating not to be able to buy in bulk or tins. Hate buying & emptying each 1.5 ounce clear plastic baggie into my jar... feel like a dope dealer with all the baggies on the table! ..... . I'd be buying a lot more if I didn't have to buy it in such small quantity units. [ Hope Russ or someone at MM is reading this ] But can't find fault in what has become my favorite all day blend.

Pipe Used: savinelli oom paul

Purchased From: pipes & cigars

Similar Blends: Reminds me a bit of another favorite, Frog Morton's Cellar..

King Weed Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
King Weed (108)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

When I had P&C throw in a bag of MM American Patriot in my last order, I didn't know that it was a Russ Oulette blend nor did I expect an English blend of this quality to come in a roll-up bag. When I stuck my nose in that bag, I sensed both quality and subtlety and a blend aroma that I hadn't experienced for some time. Yes, it was an English. Yes, it had some slight bourbon aroma, though not very much. The thing that struck me was the aroma of the background ingredients that formed the backbone of this beautiful blend. Latakia, Virginia, Burley and Smyrna for the oriental; wow, Russ, you've hit a home run on this one. Highly recommended, it ranks right up there with Magnum Opus, Black House and all your other great English blends.

Pipe Used: old Charatan Special 44

Age When Smoked: current

Purchased From: pipes and cigars

Similar Blends: a few rare things I've smoked in the past that I can't remember the names of.

Jacinto Cupboard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jacinto Cupboard (172)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Plenty of Lat on the nose, this is a stronger than typical English. Has less Va than I'm used to, the difference being Burley, giving this baccy a reasonable punch.

Has a fair bit of acidity indicating that the Oriental component here is significant, but I'm afraid the nuances were lost to me under the Lat and Burley.

This is a very good tobacco at the price point and I will probably end up smoking a lot of it in the future as a result. Objectively a 2 star tobacco but at this price I'm bumping it to 3.

Pipe Used: Lepeltier

Taste Buds Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taste Buds (64)

Steel Cowboy summed this blend up perfectly. About all I can add is my pleasure while smoking it. It makes me smile, because American Patriot takes me back to the 60's and the American/English blends that were available at tobacconists throughout America. This is smooth on the tongue and a cool smoking delight. The fact that it is available at a drugstore price is a bonus. If you miss the taste of tobacco shops of a long gone era, or wish to visit for the first time, give American Patriot a try.

Purchased From: Smokingpipes

Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a very good blend. A nice surprise. The Orientals are very tasty and smooth enough that I have no problem with the retro-hale. They lead the Latakia which is applied moderately. The Cavendish and the Virginias add an ample amount of sweetness. The bourbon topping is light and pleasant. I would have no problem paying more for this. When you consider the price this is an easy 4 stars.

Mild to medium in body. Medium in flavor. Burns great. A masterful blending job.

Pipe Used: MM Country Gentleman, MM Mark Twain

Capn Jimbo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capn Jimbo (24)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

As a lover of the good old, unpretentious but a classic cob, how could I not try this MM Patriot, described as latakia forward, followed in order by a virgians, then oriental, and pullig up the rear some burley. Let it be sais my real enjoyment of what I'd like to call a good and classic tobacco, at least singularly is the beautifully burning, nutty and roast burley.

Like so many other smokers I moved up the ladder from the classic aro, 1-Q, to the greatley improved BCA, to RlP-6, thence to HGL and more recently to Sutliffs 504 Aromatic English and finally Sutliffs stunning R-Blend, said to compare quite favorably with the original Einstein's Revelation. Each a bit closer to what some might call a light English or an American English. The last two in particular provide a wonderful balanced complexity and balance in which the compoents were still discernable, but with no one stealing the show. It is said to have a bit of bourgon topping, but if it's there, it's barely there, but does work to provide

To me the MM Patriot goes one step beyond. Compared to the above, the latakins - formerly a condiment - now comes forward - while the lovely burley lead now follows. While latakia lovers will cheer, burley boys will lament it's repositioning. Now the the latakia lead - and in the manner of an Islay whiskey - now is the lead performer, with all the rest in only mildly supporting roles. Since balance and integration, with no one component dominating is my forte, I'm afraid this MM - though appreciated by the latakia flock, finds far less favor with me. Yes I get it, but no it doesn't work for me or for those of similar like mind. I'm giving it a three reflecting Russ' skill, but would deduct a 1/2 or point for balance. BTW, the description indicates a light bourbon topping which is barely perceptible, but does exist. With more time I may learn to appreciate this latakia forward blend, but I rather doubt. Latakia lovers should ignore me completely though, lol...

For those like me, the R-Blend will ring your bells with more clarity and sustain...

Pipe Used: Cob, Falcon

Age When Smoked: unknown

Purchased From: Pipes & Cigars, pouch, 1.5

Similar Blends: Sutliff R-Blend but with the burley now following, not leading..

From Etten Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
From Etten (22)

Thicker ribbon-cut out of the pouch pleasant. As advertised with latakia that delivers a quality blend. Responsive draw that burns well. An all-day sort of smoke that if you have it, you will smoke it. I’ll buy this again when I feel the need for a good latakia forward smoke. 3 Star.

Pipe Used: Cob, Tsuge Briar

Age When Smoked: Pouch fresh

Purchased From: Pipes & Cigars

Wehrewulf Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wehrewulf (2)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Absolutely surprised by this blend. Bought it for the name and the pouch looked nice. Expected some bland drugstore weed, but wow was I surprised. If it was tinned and sold as a higher end English I would have agreed with the marketing. This is a mellow, righteous burning latakia forward blend with enough smyrna to give each pull a flavor that relaxes and pleases. This is a easy going all day even burning smoke that skillfully fills the gap between a mellow country English, and an American parlor aromatic. Thank me now..... Do it.

Pipe Used: Peterson Moran, Rossi Sitting Lumberman

Age When Smoked: 1 year

Purchased From: Pipes & cigars

Rhapsody Baccy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rhapsody Baccy (16)

Like a lot of neophytes, in the early and enthusiastic days of my pipe-smoking journey, as one delves deeper and deeper into the pleasures of Latakia, Orientals, and Virginias, one tends to put up their nose at aromatics.

But, like a delicious and fresh Beaujolais or citrusy New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc (all tropical fruit a little of that most furtive of concepts; “terroir”) they, too, have their place in the pantheon and rotations of pipe-lovers everywhere (hello! Great Dane and Lane 1Q – here’s looking at you). Sutliff’s Maple Street comes to mind, yes it tastes like pancakes… yes, that is precisely the point, the same way that pancakes give us an excuse to eat dessert for breakfast.

I have found, the more I relish and delve deeper into the world of great Baccy the more I come back, every so often, to a handful of old and new aromatics which I am beginning to truly truly enjoy.

Like pancakes being a “breakfast item,” I would barely consider this an “Aromatic” in the truest sense of the word: the ‘bourbon’ topping is barely noticeable as ‘bourbon’ alone (betraying Russ’ deft hand) instead it acts a subtle sweet and enticing background note which melds together beautifully with the supple Burleys and Cavendish letting the judicious use of Latakia peek through just enough to keep you engaged and puffing whilst allowing the Orientals (also used in ‘judicious’ amounts) to envelop the whole darn thing in a cool and relaxing smoke.

Is this akin to London Mixture? No, but it’s not supposed to be- especially at the price, this is a remarkable wine and one which shows the magnitude of Russ’s talent as a blender.

THE LOWDOWN

Recommended for… anyone, this is perfect for the newbie who is interested in beginning that jump from aromatics to, in this case, English styles. There are a handful of baccy’s in this ‘aromatic-English’ category but in fact, for the value, blend, and pure joy of American Patriot, this one’s staying along for the long-haul.

Pipe Used: MM Various

Purchased From: Pies & Cigars

Similar Blends: Frog Morton's Cellar et al.

Meh....This one is ok, but has nothing that will want me come back for more. I have purchased 2 pouches and I will finish them. But it will only be an occasional pipeful here and there; not something on a regular basis. It has not made me enthusiastic about it at all. The tobacco has the typical "House Blends" aroma made by Lane and Altadis for tobacco shops, which I can't say I am fond of. That's probably the main issue for me when it comes to this tobacco. And as with most of these "House" blends the flavor and nicotine departments lack. Surprisingly, I have found it does better in a briar than a cob.

Pipe Used: Luciano; Stanwell; American Patriot Neked

I was sent the full line of the Missouri Meer blends to sample and review and I must say that American Patriot topped the lot. I loved the flavor of the Latakia and Smyrna in the background. The bit of liquor topping was not off-putting and managed to enhance the smoke without overpowering it. And, if you like a little punch with your smoke, American Patriot delivered again with the smattering of Kentucky.

Pipestud

Typical mottled color with an old OTC bag aroma. Review is based on 2 3-bowl samples I got from 2 different internet friends on the same day (that was cool!). Thanks, friends! A bit of latakia aroma as well but mostly good old fashioned codger burley goodness.

An "American English" with the burley in the lead, and the virginia locking horns for second fiddle with the latakia. But burley ruled the show as far as noticeability. On the other hand, the addition of Turkish Smyrna was a masterstroke and gives the blend the extra oomph of sweet and sour with spice. That elevates this blend ahead of your run of the mill American English. I wouldn't have minded a hair more latakia but there are other blends to satisfy that. I guess there is a bourbon topping to this one as well, which I missed in the taste but think I caught in the room note. I could see this one being tinned - it's quite good and strikes me as a step up from most OTC's, to which it seems to fall in line with regarding comparisons. But like Angler's Dream, this is a step up, and deserves 4 stars. Again, it's cheap! If you enjoy American English blends, you must give this one a try.

Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Missouri Meerschaum - American Patriot.

I've not been able to post as many reviews this week so today's my 'catch-up' day!

So, I bought this out of inquisitiveness, what will the smoke be like for such a cheap price tag?

The mixture's prominently a ribbon, with a few bigger and smaller pieces. Sadly, it's a little dry, smokeable, but not one for long-term storage.

The flavour isn't bad. The Latakia and the Oriental are the stronger of the bunch; with the Lat' being a 'tamer' taste, than some of the sharper varieties. The black Cavendish gives a subtle vanilla-cream quality, smoothing the flavour. The other ingredients are much lighter in flavour. The bourbon adds a slightly sour top-note, but isn't strong. It burns steady, but can become too warm.

Nicotine: medium. Room-note: pleasant to tolerable.

American Patriot? Price aside, two stars seems fair:

Somewhat recommended.

Pipe Used: Altinok Lee Van Cleef: Friday pipe

Age When Smoked: One month

Nelsoncrx Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nelsoncrx (10)

The blend is very well balanced, good smokiness from the Latakia, very nice room note and bourbon hint flavored. The quality of the leaf donnot stand out. The aftertaste is somewhat cheap and by the end of the bowl the virginias seem corrupted somehow, adulterated. Nevertheless, is a good blend, an all day smoke really worth its value and which does not shy of any other tin blend out there.

Pipe Used: Parker and cob

Presbyterian Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Presbyterian Piper (4)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is the best pouch blend I have yet to try. It has a good strong flavor with robust hints of Latakia. In my opinion it has to be one of the best blends out there. It is strikingly reminiscent of Mississippi river. It is definitely stop 5 tobacco for me.

Similar Blends: Mississippi River.