Reviews: 72093 Tobaccos: 6496What's NewLoginRegister

Peter Stokkebye 312 Toasted Burley is a new addition to the lineup. This nutty Burley is gently toasted which helps to remove bitterness and adds more depth to the flavor. This is a particularly good tobacco to use when you want to lighten the flavor of a blend.

BrandPeter Stokkebye
Blend TypeBurley Based
Mild, Mild to Medium, Medium
Mild, Mild to Medium, Medium

Corvus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Corvus (36)
Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

This bulk blend comes as a sort of fine broken flake, light brown in color. A pretty nice and fairly mild maple syrup and hay scent.

I have been smoking this stuff on and off for over a year, but never gave it much thought, other than that it hit the spot once in a while. It's lightly sweet, burns without a fuss, and has a moderate nicotine content. As such, I usually smoked it when I was in a rush or active, on the mower, cutting wood, walking around, and almost always smoked it in one of my cobs that sometimes doesn't quite make it out of the weather, occasionally gets a fresh filter, and is well ghosted by all manner of Virginias, English, OTC blends, and various aromatics. In other words I don't give it much of chance.

But back to the smoke. A fairly light but consistent sweetness and a lightly toasted component. It never seems to really hit the nuttiness of some burleys but maybe a hint of coconut sometimes. You hit it a little harder and anise pops up, as does some propylene glycol even though moisture content always seems spot on. At times it seems like a rich cigarette, which is little surprise given that this is burley. The smoke quality is pretty decent, probably due to PG, but it is fairly smooth.

What is this then? I think ultimately it is really a scaled up version of some of the OTC blends made better through the quality of the tobacco and less reliance on the chemistry set. I guess ulitmately it is probably closest to a Prince Albert but lacks the nutty and cocoa notes of that tobacco. This is just good enough to maybe rate 2.5 stars, but suffers from the synthetic burn and a rather one note profile.

GabrielCRT Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
GabrielCRT (67)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

This is as fine of a Burley as I've ever had in my pipes including Solani. The toasting process must make a significant impact. Not a trace of bitterness and no rough edges. The flavor profile is nutty as in almonds and coconut. There is also a wonderful robust syrupy sweetness that coats the palate. No tongue bite here and an excellent room note. Highly recommended

My pouch of Toasted Burley appears to be more of a ready rubbed than a broken flake, although that could simply be from the bulk storage. The pouch scent is very mild and a little sweet and a little earthy. It needed some dry time and I didn’t rub it out any further for the bowls that I smoked. In the pipe is lightly sweet, with a little cocoa, but that is likely more from the Burley and not added cocoa flavoring. I can’t say what the added flavor is but it doesn’t overpower the blend. In the pouch is appeared to be a good quality and I find that in the smoke too. There are none of the negatives that can be associated with some Burley’s. There is no harshness and no bitterness at all. It’s much more nutty than earthy in flavor. There is no complexity, but I didn’t expect that there would be. There is just some added strength as each bowl progresses, but overall this is mild to medium in strength. I also like the fact that it doesn’t burn hot. This is the third bulk Stokkebye blend that I have tried recently (the others being Dutch Cavendish and Turkish Export) and I have been impressed with each one thus far. This is great on its own as an all-day smoke for Burley lovers, and would also be a great blend to add some body and sweetness to a blend.