After two months of careful blending, testing and aging, Trent created a very rich Virginia smoke that is in a class by itself. It marries red cake matured Virginia to stoved Virginia, a soft ribbon Burley, a dark navy flake, and a pungent Cavendish flake to result in a blend with a lot of character that is smooth and satisfying. A North Carolina tobacco tradition.

BrandMcCranie's
Blend TypeVirginia Based
ContentsBurley, Cavendish, Virginia
Strength
Taste

2.9
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The “vinegar” smell of the tobacco lets you know McClelland tobaccos are used. Some of it lingers in the taste at the beginning, less so after some minutes pass. The red Virginia is a little tangy with dark fruit and earth notes while the stoved Virginia is sugary fruit sweet. The nutty burley is a minor player. The cavendish adds sweetness as does the dark Navy flake, which has a topping that I think could be rum. Sometimes, it’s hard to tell. I’m not sure what component brings the spice into the mix, but while it adds some complexity, it’s not always welcome as it disrupts the smoothness at times. Overall, the flavors meld more often than they don’t, but it’s not always consistent in taste. Even with some dry time, it tends to burn a little wet and will leave a little dottle in the bowl. Have some pipe cleaners ready and expect relights. Has a mild nic-hit, and won't bite. The after taste is okay, but short lived. Can be an all day smoke. I would prefer to give this three stars, but it has too many drawbacks, so I rate it at two and a half.

ColinK Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ColinK (15)

Man, it is a wonderful swirl of flavors that doesn't settle on any one single. Seems to go from sweet to spicy to occasionally that just plain natural tobacco taste to indescribable and back again. Sent out an order for another 8 about 20 minutes ago. This has taken command as my daily, I think. The bowl gets more and more complex each and every time I re-light and I find a new taste springing forward- but then fading and giving away to another as quickly as it disappeared.

Pipe Used: David Jones Dublin

Age When Smoked: From the jar

Purchased From: McCranie's

Oldbelt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Oldbelt (8)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Very Pleasant

Quite a blend here. Great Virginia tobacco flavor. Not to sweet. Quite forgiving to the typical Virginia bite. More mellow as the bowl gets smoked down. Very light casing if any at all. It has some flake in the blend. McCrannies blends this using Mclelland tobacco. The finest quality bulk. All day smoke.

Pipe Used: Stanwell freehand

Age When Smoked: 0

Purchased From: McCrannies

Similar Blends: None like it..

Clarkus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Clarkus (26)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is the first tobacco I bought from McCranies and I liked it very much. It is a well balanced blend of good flavors. It has been a while since I smoked it but my recollections are favorable. I'll likely buy it again. Definitely give it a try.

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a balanced blend that is full of flavor from beginning to end. It is smooth with no bite and has excellent burning qualities. Currituck makes for a pleasant change of pace or an all day smoke. As an aside, ?Currituck? is the name of a county in North Carolina.

A cigarette is to be smoked. A cigar is to be enjoyed. A pipe is to be savored.

I rate this tobacco 8.8 out of 10.

Medium Very Mild Full Pleasant

Wow, a kitchen sink tobacco! Some latakia and perique and you would have it all. This is a very well balnced blend however, and the flavors all seem to go together nicely. Complex yes, but not so much that you have to concentrate a whole lot. This is my new "party tobacco". The room note is wonderful, and yet I can still taste tobacco. This stuff definitely has a full flavor which I think is lacking in many aromatics. The slight bit of flavoring that I detect seems to be coming from the navy flake instead of from the cavendish although I might be mistaken. A good buy and one I will keep on hand for the occasional sweet tooth smoke.

Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Judging from the novels written above, this must be good stuff!

I found Currituck to be too harsh and bitey overall, but it sure was spicy and flavorful. If you want to pay less for bulk tobacco blends, then this is an okay choice. I prefer to pay a bit more for more elegant leaf, particularly a Virginia offering. Still, this one merits purchasing if you're just curious or, the spousal unit has you on a tight budget.

tillmanj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tillmanj (73)

Physical Charisteristics: a mix of severa lcuts, each representing one of the constituent tobaccos. There are light strands of Burley, broken pieces of flaked Navy Cavendish, and both ribbon and broken flake virginias. This is quite a melange! A bit moist for my tastes, though most tobaccos are when first opened. I dried the sample out for a few days in a plastic baggie before smoking.

Tin Aroma: This is unmistakably a McClelland blend. The 'spicy ketchup' scent gives it away immediately. A hint of clove or a closely related spice adds to the overall aroma. I do not mind the ketchupy smell, but it does somewhat obscure the natural tobacco scents that I so much enjoy.

Packing: This is a bit easier to pack than I thought it would be, but the variety of cuts hold each other well, making it pretty easy to make sure that I have a balanced sample of the blend.

First Bowl: As with any new blend under consideration, I first tried it in a meerschaum. The charring light went easily and the second light brought forth volumes of smoke with nary a hint of trouble. Burns quickly, though some of that may be the result of my drying routine. Still, this seems to burn a bit quicker than most blends I smoke. Burns evenly all the way through the bowl, with very little change in taste of smoke quality, again, this is the result of the differing cuts clinging together nicely.

The Full Monty: Though there are quite a few different tobaccos in this blend, the experience is not as riotous as I expected. The balance between ingredients is good, and the overall effect is like smoking a seven layer cake; the dominant flavor at any given moment seems to be whatever I choose to concentrate on. I suppose a good analogy would be listening to a multi-layered piece of music, where you can follow the drums for as long as you want, or the horns, or any other instrument, but the others are still there, playing right along the whole time. The ketchupy aroma fades somewhat towards the second half of the bowl, but it is always there in the background. Not an unpleasant thing, if you do not mind it, but if the ketchup from McClelland blends turns you off, you might do best to avoid this one as well. There is a decent nicotine content here, but not overwhelming. While there is some spiciness to this blend, it is not too spicy to exhale through the nose (my test for the strength of Virginias), and overall, this is well-balanced. or my tastes personally, there is a bit much cavendish, but it does help cool down the virginias and the burley, so I suppose it must stay. An excellent Spring blend, for smoking both in or out of doors, and with a pleasant enough room aroma not to offend too many folks. It does impart a bit of that spicy ketchup scent/flavor to a pipe, but the lingering scent came out of my briars after one or two bowls of something else. This blend gets along well with most things I drink with a pipe (beer, tea, coffee, wine, scotch) though it does not shine with any of them in particular. It does equally well to a clear palate or to a muddled one, and drinking water with it does not add any more subtlety to the blend. Overall, I would say that I enjoyed the couple of ounces I smoked, but will probably not rush out and buy more immediately. It does not grab me, and with so many tobacco choices today, a merely good solid blend is not enough, but if you are looking for something that is easy to smoke all day regardless of your eating/drinking/puffing habits, and don't mind the McClelland 'ketchup', this may just be the thing for you.