After two months of careful blending, testing and aging, Trent created a very rich Virginia smoke that is in a class by itself. It marries red cake matured Virginia to stoved Virginia, a soft ribbon Burley, a dark navy flake, and a pungent Cavendish flake to result in a blend with a lot of character that is smooth and satisfying. A North Carolina tobacco tradition.

BrandMcCranie's
ContentsBurley, Cavendish, Virginia
Strength
Taste

3.1
Sceny Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sceny (66)
Mild Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

Again this month, we have a rather unique tobacco to review. Complexity is the order of the day, here; complexity in both the casing and the tobacco flavors. The levels of sweetness, spiciness, dark and light notes, etc. all work together to ensure that this a blend that will certainly never be boring. At the same time, the bite-free smoothness and excellent room aroma make this a tobacco that acts as a very good all-day or mixed company smoke. The aroma of my sample is excellent, a spicy, rich, and sweet blend of far too many different smells to count. The tobacco is dark, mainly dark brown and black with a few strands of lighter brown providing contrast. The cut is varied, bits of two different types of unrubbed flake mixed with longer, almost ribbon-cut strands. The tobacco is on the damp side, though the moisture isn't excessive, and it packs easily. It lights quickly and burns well, requiring a normal number of relights during a bowl. In the first third, the initial flavor is rather unique. The best way I can describe it is sweet, with a spice note - but spicy the way eggnog is spicy, rather than Tabasco spiciness. The taste is almost like hot, sweetened Chai tea. There is absolutely no bite, and the smoke is very cool and smooth. But even apart from this unusual casing taste, the tobacco flavor itself is highly varied. Dark and light notes battle in what should be an anarchy of confusion, but what turns out to be a very well integrated and smooth mixture. It ain't the symphony orchestra, but it's far from bluegrass twang. I find myself puffing too hard in an attempt to taste the individual flavors. In the second third of the bowl, the mixture of flavors continues seemingly unabated. The casing hasn't really faded, still present as a sweet/spicy taste. The tobacco flavors continue on well integrated, with nothing really standing out in the smoke. The blend remains cool-burning and bite free; the only real change I notice is a very minor note of sourness at about the halfway point. Both in casing flavor and tobacco flavor, this is a highly complex and multilayered tobacco. It is also very nice blown out through the nose. There are no moisture problems up to now, either, and I find that my bowl is burning rather quickly. In the final third of the bowl, the flavors are pretty much the same; in fact, they are remarkably consistent throughout the entire bowl. There is no appreciable lessening of the casing notes, and the tobacco notes stay similar throughout. The smoke is also consistently smooth and bite-free and cool, and is very pleasant to non-smokers in the room. The leaf smokes clean and dry right to the bottom, and I am sorry when my bowl is finished. Overall, this is a remarkable tobacco, in more ways than one. The multiple flavors, both in casing and tobacco, should clash and stumble. They never do, however, and the entire mess is very well-integrated and smooth. Each element adds to the overall flavor without overwhelming the other notes; this blend was obviously put together by someone who knew what they were doing. In addition, I've seldom met a tobacco that was as consistent, from first light to the dregs of the bowl. This could work as either an inoffensive all-day blend or an evening treat. I find myself smoking a LOT of this - so much, in fact, that my 2oz sample is almost gone! It's easy to go though many bowls of this blend very quickly, almost without knowing it. I think I'll go buy a pound or so - it's great stuff! Thanks for the sample, Wes!

Clarkus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Clarkus (26)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is the first tobacco I bought from McCranies and I liked it very much. It is a well balanced blend of good flavors. It has been a while since I smoked it but my recollections are favorable. I'll likely buy it again. Definitely give it a try.

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a balanced blend that is full of flavor from beginning to end. It is smooth with no bite and has excellent burning qualities. Currituck makes for a pleasant change of pace or an all day smoke. As an aside, ?Currituck? is the name of a county in North Carolina.

A cigarette is to be smoked. A cigar is to be enjoyed. A pipe is to be savored.

I rate this tobacco 8.8 out of 10.

DUPE.1512 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This blend is some of just about everything. Nice flavors and burn with no bite. An "all day" type smoke.

tobaccoman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tobaccoman (19)

Excellent blend of just about everything. Nice tang no bite, nice easy burn, an all day smoke for me. Nice job with this one Mr McCranie.

Medium Very Mild Full Pleasant

Wow, a kitchen sink tobacco! Some latakia and perique and you would have it all. This is a very well balnced blend however, and the flavors all seem to go together nicely. Complex yes, but not so much that you have to concentrate a whole lot. This is my new "party tobacco". The room note is wonderful, and yet I can still taste tobacco. This stuff definitely has a full flavor which I think is lacking in many aromatics. The slight bit of flavoring that I detect seems to be coming from the navy flake instead of from the cavendish although I might be mistaken. A good buy and one I will keep on hand for the occasional sweet tooth smoke.

Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Judging from the novels written above, this must be good stuff!

I found Currituck to be too harsh and bitey overall, but it sure was spicy and flavorful. If you want to pay less for bulk tobacco blends, then this is an okay choice. I prefer to pay a bit more for more elegant leaf, particularly a Virginia offering. Still, this one merits purchasing if you're just curious or, the spousal unit has you on a tight budget.

Willy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Willy (75)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Since trying Currituck in a sample pack from the fine folks @ McCranies, I've smoked this off & on for quite some time. This blend, as the description states, is a blend that Trent created using all McClelland tobaccos, or so I was informed. To concur w/Sceny, "complex" is truly the operative word. Sweet, spicey, nutty, earthy, tart, tangy, all these tastes come into play at some point during the course of a bowl. I have a coupla Il Ceppo bent, carved Brandys that seem to really like this tobak. Some air time does seem to help w/the burn, but it's not bad right out of the bag. Loosens up easily, packs well, lights well. VA's are first out of the gate, but everybody else joins in soon enough. All the elements work well together. This blend does have character. Good VA flavors w/the burley & cavendish helping to give the smoke a round & full texture in the mouth. No bite here. Bit of a gurgle near mid-bowl, no worries, one cleaner does the job. Though a wee bit sharp @ times, this blend still burns cool & smooth becoming richer as you smoke down the bowl, and leaves a fine gray ash when the pipe is done. Good stuff, IMHO, and tasty. I keep some around all the time. Could be an all day smoke if your tastes run that way, but I generally like this later in the day, though on numerous occasions I've started the day w/this. Good bulk pricing too. Works for me.

tillmanj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tillmanj (73)

Physical Charisteristics: a mix of severa lcuts, each representing one of the constituent tobaccos. There are light strands of Burley, broken pieces of flaked Navy Cavendish, and both ribbon and broken flake virginias. This is quite a melange! A bit moist for my tastes, though most tobaccos are when first opened. I dried the sample out for a few days in a plastic baggie before smoking.

Tin Aroma: This is unmistakably a McClelland blend. The 'spicy ketchup' scent gives it away immediately. A hint of clove or a closely related spice adds to the overall aroma. I do not mind the ketchupy smell, but it does somewhat obscure the natural tobacco scents that I so much enjoy.

Packing: This is a bit easier to pack than I thought it would be, but the variety of cuts hold each other well, making it pretty easy to make sure that I have a balanced sample of the blend.

First Bowl: As with any new blend under consideration, I first tried it in a meerschaum. The charring light went easily and the second light brought forth volumes of smoke with nary a hint of trouble. Burns quickly, though some of that may be the result of my drying routine. Still, this seems to burn a bit quicker than most blends I smoke. Burns evenly all the way through the bowl, with very little change in taste of smoke quality, again, this is the result of the differing cuts clinging together nicely.

The Full Monty: Though there are quite a few different tobaccos in this blend, the experience is not as riotous as I expected. The balance between ingredients is good, and the overall effect is like smoking a seven layer cake; the dominant flavor at any given moment seems to be whatever I choose to concentrate on. I suppose a good analogy would be listening to a multi-layered piece of music, where you can follow the drums for as long as you want, or the horns, or any other instrument, but the others are still there, playing right along the whole time. The ketchupy aroma fades somewhat towards the second half of the bowl, but it is always there in the background. Not an unpleasant thing, if you do not mind it, but if the ketchup from McClelland blends turns you off, you might do best to avoid this one as well. There is a decent nicotine content here, but not overwhelming. While there is some spiciness to this blend, it is not too spicy to exhale through the nose (my test for the strength of Virginias), and overall, this is well-balanced. or my tastes personally, there is a bit much cavendish, but it does help cool down the virginias and the burley, so I suppose it must stay. An excellent Spring blend, for smoking both in or out of doors, and with a pleasant enough room aroma not to offend too many folks. It does impart a bit of that spicy ketchup scent/flavor to a pipe, but the lingering scent came out of my briars after one or two bowls of something else. This blend gets along well with most things I drink with a pipe (beer, tea, coffee, wine, scotch) though it does not shine with any of them in particular. It does equally well to a clear palate or to a muddled one, and drinking water with it does not add any more subtlety to the blend. Overall, I would say that I enjoyed the couple of ounces I smoked, but will probably not rush out and buy more immediately. It does not grab me, and with so many tobacco choices today, a merely good solid blend is not enough, but if you are looking for something that is easy to smoke all day regardless of your eating/drinking/puffing habits, and don't mind the McClelland 'ketchup', this may just be the thing for you.

kf4bsb Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kf4bsb (1)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

A very satisfying smoke. Good light and burn through the whole bowl. A little wet toward the end.

This blend is a hit. Good any time of the day it is one of the few that my wife likes the aroma of.