Notes: This tobacco was produced in Germany under licence and recipe from Villiger (Switzerland).

Manufactured ByVilliger
Blend TypeVirginia Based
ContentsMaryland, Virginia
Packaging50/500g. Pouch
Pleasant to Tolerable, Tolerable to Strong
L'Italiano Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
L'Italiano (81)
Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

Essentially pure Maryland. It is true that probably there is a little bit of Virginia and maybe a hint of Burley, but for the most part this is tobacco Maryland and it absolutely dominant, leading. I don’t mind this tobacco even if it isn’t American Maryland bur probably Maryland seed grown in Switzerland. Overall, it is quite good, fair. Opening the pouch, the smell is that of cigarette tobacco. You can smoke it straight but it is also good for blending as a base tobacco. Unfortunately no longer in production, I found this tobacco at Synjeco’s Pipe Smoker’s Heaven and the really kind owner, Daniel Schneider, gave me as a gift a sample of 34g. In my system rating (from 0 to 10) my mark is 7 and two stars.

Purchased From: SYNJECO'S PIPE SMOKER'S HAVEN Brissago, Switzerland

As this is also Synjeco's Maryland No. 333, I'm essentially repeating my review for this entry.

I'm not sure why this is called Maryland SAMI, because it's obvious more than Maryland tobacco is present. There's a spice note that reminds me of the kind in MacBaren Virginia #1, without the chance of bite. I suspect that the spice note may come from a pinch of Oriental, though that component is not listed. It's the same spice note in Virginia No. 444, and Oriental is listed as a component there. The Virginia is mildly grassy with some earth and a bit of citrus with the barest hint of honey, though I only sporadically notice the latter. I suppose the Maryland, which often adds little to the flavor of a blend, is present to smooth the Virginia out. The burley is nutty and toasty in a supporting role. The cut is short ribbon, and the tobacco colors are medium bright with some brown. Needs a little hydration, burns well, but cool. I recommend puffing at a moderate rate for best effect, though it doesn't bite. Could be used as RYO, but I consider that to be waste of high quality tobaccos in this case. An all day smoke with a little body, and a shade over mild nic-hit. Leaves no moisture, has a consistent flavor with a nice after taste.