4noggins.com

This is a hot pressed flake tobacco, meaning that during the pressing steam is added to mature the tobacco further and to ensure a mellow smoking experience. A blend of bright Virginias, spicy Orient, a bit of burley, and a fair amount of Cyprus Latakia is the foundation of HH Latakia Flake.

The taste is complex with the smoky note from Latakia in the front seat, the subtle sweetness from the Virginias working in the back, and the mellow spiciness from the Orientals popping up from time to time, creating an intimate interplay where all tobaccos play their role and contribute to this unique smoking experience.

HH Latakia Flake has very little casing and no top flavour at all. The only taste you will experience is the natural taste from the tobaccos used.

A mellow, yet satisfying tobacco, with a lot of nice, smoky aroma.

Notes: Released at the 2014 Chicago Pipe Show

Extremely Mild
Taste
Pleasant to Tolerable, Tolerable

Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

The hot pressed flake breaks apart very easily though it needs to dry a few minutes first. It's creamy and smooth, and easy to keep lit. The Orientals have a nice spice flavor that isn't too strong, just right, and gets slightly more noticeable when you reach the half way point in the bowl. It's a little sweeter than your average English, and I believe there's some black cavendish in it, though the description doesn't note it. The topping is sweet, and apparently maple was used as binder. There's an ample amount of Cyprian latakia without being overwhelming, providing a woodsy, smokey sweet flavor. The bright Virginias have a natural sweetness, and a very mild grass note as the core base for the other components to play off. The burleys are mildly sweet and nutty with a touch of earthiness. The flavor is consistent from first light to last puff with a very pleasing after taste. The rich complexity of this flake entertains the taste buds, and should appeal to aficionados of English blends who are looking for more than a dry smoke.

Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I have just finished about 50 grams of the 100 gram tin of the new HH Latakia Flake from MB. I am impressed! The flakes are neatly arranged in the tin in similar fashion to the Old Dark Fired flakes. There is no doubt that LF has been topped as there is a slight fruity scent that I find similar to some of the Schurch Modern English blends. But it is very light and doesn’t overly intrude on the smoke. There are two things I loved about this flake right away. The first thing is that LF offers none of the Mc-bite that many MB blends are known to have. I am not easily bitten but with the exception of Old Dark Fired, I have been bit by almost every Mac Baren blend I have ever smoked. The second thing I love about LF is that unlike other Latakia heavy flakes, this one holds together in the same fashion a good Virginia flake does. It can easily be folded and stuffed, broken into pieces or rubbed out. Regardless of how it is smoked, I find a few minutes of dry time offers the best results. In terms of flavor, the Latakia is a dominate player, but leaves plenty of room to taste the flavor of the Virginias and Orientals. All three play a noticeable role in LB. The Burley seems to just add some backbone, but I can’t quite single it out. The topping offers a slightly sweet taste that is different than the sweetness offered up buy some Latakia blends. Given the fact that the component tobaccos play a large role here, I think it’s safe to say that this will cellar very well. HH Latakia Flake, coming on the heels of the outstanding Old Dark Fired, Mac Baren is really onto something with the introduction of these two excellent, high quality flakes. Highly recommended!

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

ZoNoMo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ZoNoMo (3)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

Before I get into the meat of this review, I feel the need to come clean and confess my sins. Hi… my name is Monte and I am an Aromatic Tobacco smoker. {Hi Monte!} Since I started smoking a pipe in November of 2012, I have made many attempts to try and become normal by smoking English and Virginia blends. I’ve even purchased several tins knowing eventually I’ll come around, mature, and become a “real” pipe smoker. So far… it hasn’t happened. Truth be told, when the fine folks at Sutliff asked me if I’d be interested in reviewing this tobacco, I jumped at the chance. I kind of wanted to provide a little payback for the dozens of Aromatic Tobacco reviews I’ve read that begin with the phrase “I’m not an aromatic tobacco smoker but …..”. So here goes.

The very first thing you notice when you pop the tin is the amazing aroma. I don’t mean the overly cased foofie fruity notes found in many popular Aromatic Tobaccos which seem to have no resemblance to its taste. I mean a very deep, rich, earthy and even leathery scent. It reminds me of something made in yesteryear that oozed quality. I actually found myself going back again and again for more sniffs. I couldn’t get enough of the smell. My wife asked me if I was going to actually smoke the stuff or sniff it to death.

Inside the tin is a generous amount of “Juicy Fruit Gum” size strips of dark brown pressed Latakia Flake. Wait just a sec while I go back and smell it again…. Ok I’m back.

The tobacco had a bit more moisture than I expected so I rubbed it out and let it dry for about 15 minutes. I packed it into a beautiful Davorin Morta pipe that he made for me in 2013. I’ve been told that Morta pipes are particularly good at enhancing the smoke of English tobacco but I honestly don’t know. I’m lighting with Diamond GreenLight matches.

After lighting this pipe, I have to honestly say that I was in for more pleasant surprises. The rich scent of this tobacco flows easily into its taste. It actually tastes as good as it smells. Very few Aros can claim that. There is a slight hint of sweetness that comes through too though no one note overpowers the rest. Based upon the other non-Aromatics that I’ve tried, his HH Latakia flake seems to have a balance that is pleasant and inviting. I have to say that smoking this tobacco has rocked my perception and understanding of Latakias and Virginias to the core.

Mac Baren H&H has provided me my first ever path to actually enjoying non Aromatic pipe tobacco. I am now left wondering if this very tobacco – HH Latakia Flake – is what pipe tobacco is supposed to taste like.

Pipe Used: Morta

Age When Smoked: 2014

Purchased From: Sutliff

rekamepip Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rekamepip (78)
Medium Very Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Mac Baren HH Latakia Flake Made in Denmark by he Mac Baren Tobacco Company imported by Sutliff Tobacco Company

Cyprus Latakia, Virginia, Orientals, and Burley - Hot Pressed and cut into Flakes

The Label on the tin describes this tobacco as being a complex blend with the smokey taste of Latakia in the front with a subtle sweetness of Virginian in the back, mellow spiciness from the Orientals popping up from time to time creating an intimate interplay where all tobaccos play their role in this unique smoking experience. A mellow yet satisfying tobacco with a lot of nice smoky aroma

Tin Notes: Upon Opening a Fresh/New Tin you are greeted with a WONDERFUL tobacco aroma, rich and smokey tobacco smell with a slight aroma of vinegar? (now mind you that the vinegar smell was slight and it quickly dissipated)

Consistent and near perfectly cut slices of tobacco that is dark color in appearance. No matter which technique that you use to load your pipe ~ fold and stuff, fully rubbed out or even diced into cubes .The tobacco is a slightly moist and may require a little airing out or dry time, but the slices are easy to work with.

Smoking:

I really enjoy smoking this blend and have found the more i smoke it the more i enjoy it !!! While this is not a Latakia Powerhouse - this is a good thing as you can enjoy it at anytime . The smoke is thick and rich full of body and full of wonderful earthy flavors ! The spiciness and slight sweet flavor work well together

I look forward to seeing how this tobacco ages

My 5 Star rating = 4

Pipe Used: Briar, Corn, Clay

Purchased From: Sutliff

AE1PT Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AE1PT (4)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This fine blend stands in a place all of its own! The blenders have found a perfect combination--and well matched preparation (steam pressed) to achieve what has become a top tobacco in my cellar.

My first impression was not that great though. The tin notes were seductive, smokey, sweet and slightly grassy from the Virginia. I took a flake directly from the can and used a Z fold to pack. For whatever reason, this caused the Latakia to rebel and deliver a turpentine painting rag sort of experience. It did not burn very evenly either. But I never judge a tobacco on one bowl, or one packing method if a flake.

The second round was in a larger chambered pipe, rubbed out and dried for about half an hour. What a difference--it was almost if I had opened some other kind of tin. The charring burn produced a rich, creamy cloud of smoke. Little tamping was necessary. The smoking burn started the real experience.

Sweet, full, and a barely noticeable floral note which I presume is from some light casing came in as part of the Lat. This Cyprian is not 'heavy' and distracting--but smooth and tasty. The oriental and Virginia jump right in and play as equal partners with the Lat--but not a muddle. Honestly, I cannot really find the burley as its own identity. But that is not a bad thing!

The tobacco has a nice burn all the way to the bottom. Responds well to letting it go out and relighting at a later time--which is something I do regularly. No bite or gurgle from drawing moisture or condensing oils. It smokes well in small bowls as well as large chambered pots and stacks.

Smoked straight or as a bit of "flair" to other blends, I cannot say enough about the creamy, flavorful nature of this. And a great aftertaste when the bowl is finished. I now have 5 tins of this in the cellar to age a bit--and more to be added with future orders. If you like a smooth Lat that is well matched to Virginia leaf--be sure to try this masterful tobacco.

Although very different, if you are a smoker that enjoys Vintage Syrian you will quite likely find this a nice contrast and addition to your cellar!

Pipe Used: various

Age When Smoked: New Tin

Purchased From: SmokingPipes

First I will start off by saying that I am not a big fan of Latakia, but Mac Baren's HH ODF is one of my top three tobaccos and I definitely wanted to try their HH Latakia Flake. This is not a Lat bomb by any means, but the Latakia does play the... major roll in this flake. I was figuring that the hot press method would meld the flavors in a way that other methods would not, taking away some of what I usually don't like with Latakia...I was right! The tin note upon opening is Latakia (not overwhelmingly so), some spice aroma (I figure from the Orientals) and overall, good tobacco aroma. No hay-like tones whatsoever. The flakes are nearly black and aligned in three rows ala HH ODF, resulting in each flake slightly smaller than a stick of chewing gum - a perfect size. I took two flakes out and let them air dry for 5 minutes and then folded and loaded into a Tom Eltang Stanwell SB. Pre-light sucking on the stem revealed Latakia, and some creamy, minty notes, albeit subtle. Very different and appealing to me. Lighting and keeping lit was very easy. Smoking from beginning to end was effortless and resulted in a very relaxing, enjoyable smoke. Yes, the Latakia was there but what I find different is that its flavor was so well merged with the other tobaccos that this flake smoked as "one flavor" for me. Not airy, moderately full in mouth feel...very appealing indeed. Coming from someone who tolerates but does not love Latakia, my hats off to Mac Baren for making such a fine flake, one that I can smoke each and every day. Now if they would only produce a HH Burley flake like the unfortunately defunct Edgeworth Sliced, this would, for me, be a triple play!

Pipe Used: Tom Eltang Stanwell SB

Age When Smoked: Fresh - tinned 4-14

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

SmokeKing David Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeKing David (115)

The manufacturer's description is accurate. The latakia is present throughout the smoke, but it gets stronger and also wanes periodically. This allows the Virginias and Orientals to make themselves known at times during the bowl. I don't detect burley per se, but I think it adds a little more body and hints of earthiness.

I dried the flakes for about 10 to 15 minutes. It still seemed a little damp. As a result, the tobacco needed an extra few lights to get going. But once it did, it burned steadily for about 45 minutes to an hour. My pipes were of below average bowl size, and the flakes provided a relatively long smoke.

I also liked the fact that this tobacco produced lots of fragrant clouds of smoke. It's such a tasty and fulfilling blend that I could not help retro-haling the smoke! I didn't get any bite at all, either.

This HH Mac Baren product is less sweet than HH Vintage Syrian (which I also enjoy). I didn't detect any topping in this Flake. It sort of reminds me of some GL Pease latakia blends.

It's nice to see Mac Baren produce an English-style blend, and name it appropriately (unlike the no-longer-produced "Latakia Blend," which, although enjoyable as a Virginia-based smoke, has a misleading name as it has a miniscule amount of Latakia).

I highly recommend Mac Baren's new Latakia Flake.

Govern Yourself Accordingly.

Pipe Used: Bob Hayes bulldog, Northern Briars Prince

Purchased From: Mac Baren sample from Chicago Pipe Show

Medium Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

This is truly delicious. A rather sweet flake with ample smokiness and a nice touch of spice. Can't say that I can pick up the Burley. There is also, which to my taste buds, is a mild floral note. All together this provides a very flavorful, enjoyable smoke.

I'm somewhat susceptible to bite from bright Virginias and I noticed that when this is moist the infamous MacBite was lingering just below the surface. Got some tongue tingle but no actual bite. Drying it before smoking erases all hints of bite and is recommended. Drying has no effect on the flavor and has the added benefit of a better burn.

Medium in body. Medium to full in flavor. A wonderful smoke.

Pipe Used: MM General, MM Country Gentleman

A friend of mine brought some of this back from the Chicago Pipe Show. I have been smoking it rubbed out.

This is a very high quality flake, and I am enjoying smoking through the half tin. The profile is slightly sweet Virginia with an everpresent but fairly mild latakia note and a little oriental spiciness. The burley may be there for body, but it does not contribute to the flavor for me.

The experience is very smooth and it is a slow smoke. When puffed I get more of the oriental spiciness. In the HH lineup, I prefer ODF and Vintage Syrian to this, but I don't hesitate to give it a strong recommendation. Latakia Flake is a milder blend than these other two, and like JimInks I suspect there may be some black cavendish in it. I don't pick up any topping, but from the component tobaccos I expected a stronger, edgier smoke.

Pierre Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pierre (5)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I'm lost on this one. Out of the tin I smelled the sourness of the VA first, Latakia secondarily. I didn't note any of the topping smell, however it is there, I'll talk about that soon. I sized up that it oughta be a good blend and a good flake.

First bowl was from my Cavicchi dublin. Flake had been dried around 15 minutes, then folded and packed. First light - ouch! Okay I guess the charring light sometimes bites, second light - ouch!!! What!?! Okay, it's lit now I'll smoke it through. Really, OUCH. This blend bites like microwaved ramen. Throughout the whole bowl, it just kept getting worse. Fine whatever, I'll try again later.

Second bowl in a Klodt dublin. Flake had been dried for an hour, then crumbled and packed. First light - ouch! Second- ouch! I'm about to give up. Finally, after a couple minutes the bite subsided and it wasn't as bad. I don't know if I might have to dry this stuff overnight but it's seriously bitey. Sigh.

Onto flavor. Very good! There is definitely some sweetness stemming not from the VA but definitely from some cavendish or a topping. It's noticeable in the smoke and more so in the room note. Doesn't take away from anything though, actually quite nice paired with the lat/va. You get the pleasant fruit preserve hint from the VA, a nice healthy note of latakia, and the burley I didn't taste, as I almost never do.

So truly, I'm torn as it is. This is a great tasting blend, it really just traumatizes your tongue. I don't remember smoking an aromatic that burned me that badly. Really unpleasant.

Pipe Used: Cavicchi Dublin CCC, Klodt Dublin

PeterD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PeterD (79)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

...An exceptional tobacco from H. Halberg...These HH series tobaccos are quite exceptional and Latakia Flake is no exception.

I found the flakes to be at the right moisture level and no drying time needed. The "creamy smokiness" is different and very enjoyable and has a "roundness" that I find pleasing. This is not Vintage Syrian in flake form. I like VS too, but this is its own product. Many would say this is a stout tobacco, however, its components are balanced and straight-forward, thus making this flake more a medium strength than strong.

I'm giving this 3 stars because I want to smoke more of it before making a final decision.

Worthy of a try for any English/Latakia lover...

...a pipe is to be savored...

...update: 5-30-14...I have smoked quite a bit of this over the last few weeks and I continue to be impressed...as either my first smoke of the day to my final pipe of the day.

Pipe Used: group 5 and larger...

Age When Smoked: April 2014

Fire and Oil Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fire and Oil (13)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I need to preface this review with the statement, "I'm not a fan of latakia."

That said, I really really enjoyed smoking this. I chalk this up to two factors:

1) It's a flake and I just like flake tobaccos best. I can control the texture, they burn smooth and cool, and tend to be more flavorful.

2) There's a LOT of virginia in this blend which lends a bright sweetness to the heavy, oily latakia flavor.

Like I said, I'm not a latfan. But sometimes, I just crave it. When I do - this is the tin I reach for.

Geronimo Von Klaus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Geronimo Von Klaus (64)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Call me crazy, but I don't know what all the fuss is about.

Smells great in the tin, packs well, and then you have a long long time on puffing on a very lat forward blend that is, to my simple tastes, one dimensional and flat. It doesn't seem to change at all as the bowl goes on, I kept hoping and hoping for some of the other flavors to raise their hand and come forward, but all I got for two full bowls was a big lat bomb, and nothing else.

I really thought this would be HH Dark Fired for Lat lover, but it has nothing of the complexity of flavor that DF has.

Now, I happen to like lat bombs, so its not a one star, but even by lat bomb standards, there is nothing to get worked up about.

Not impressed.

Pipe Used: Rusticated apple

Purchased From: Free from show

CFAF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CFAF (9)

Very interesting. A flake tobacco that's not hugely rich, and that's OK. I enjoy the Virginia in the blend, but it's not overwhelming, which is good because too much Virginia is going to make my world spin. Latakia comes through nicely, but not overwhelmingly. A good balance. The result, for me, is a light-medium English blend, which burns forever. That's always a good thing.

Pipe Used: Various

Age When Smoked: 2-6 months

Excellent English/Oriental Flake, very sweet with deep, dark and smokey BBQ flavor, the Turkish flavor is dominant with strong floral/Oriental aroma.

This one (with ODF) is another hit from Mac baren, Superb stuff

Similar Blends: Penzance, Squadron Leader.