FREEDOM TO CHOOSE Route 66 gives you the freedom to choose what you what you want out of life.

Notes: A new tobacco from imperial tobacco. Basically a virginia burley shag for the pipe smoker on a budget.

BrandImperial Tobacco Group, PLC
Manufactured Byimperial tobacco
Blend TypeVirginia/Burley
FlavoringFruit / Citrus
CutShag
Packaging25 or 50g Pouch
Strength
Mild, Mild to Medium, Medium
Taste
3.7
DrDyson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDyson (109)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

In the UK, this tobacco costs more than pound less per 25 gm than "mainstream" tobaccos. You'd think it would be garbage, wouldn't you? It isn't, though - not by any means. It's a fine cut Virginia, cased, though not heavily, with a sort of caramel/biscuity flavouring. I suspect that it's really intended as a cigarette tobacco, but it works fine in a pipe. Pack it tight and smoke it slowly and it will give you a long, cool, pleasant smoke. It comes in a handy resealable pouch, too.

Incidentally, if you want something a bit more exciting, Route66 would be a good mixer, too.

Route 66 isn't a tobacco for the connoisseur - of course it isn't, at the price - but it's mighty good value for money, and it has virtues quite apart from its cheapness. It's an unpretentious down-to-earth all day smoke in much the way that (say) Prince Albert is. It reminds me also, in some respects, of Ogden's Gold Block. I bought it out of curiosity, with no great expectations. I was pleasantly surprised, and shall certainly smoke it regularly. It deserves to be popular; I hope popularity doesn't drive the price up. My only beef is that it gets a bit acrid and ashy towards the end of the bowl; but at this price, you can't really complain about such things.

Purchased From: Local SPAR shop - widely available in B&Ms

Similar Blends: Ogden's Gold Block.

thesmoggypipester Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
thesmoggypipester (29)

Firstly i would like to add a little back story to this. In my local shop i seen this new tobacco nestled amongst the RYO tobacco needing some fresh supplies of RYO tobacco i opted for this. Getting outside i opened up "oh bollocks its a shag tobacco" i got it home and tossed it on the back bench and forgot about it. Today rummaging through i found the packet and opened it up, the pouch comes with a handy zip lock seal so it stayed fresh. Opening up the nose on it is a little weak but digging deep there is a lovely fresh virginia/citrus aroma and a slight chocolatey aroma from the smidgeon of burley that is added. I loaded up my pipe which it does with ease and it takes the light easily. Now i wasnt expecting much, but smoking through it is actually a very decent extremely palatable smoke, which when sipped slowly, oozes loads of fresh virginia tastes and is cool amd dry throughtout the smoke and tastes very nice all the way down.

Now i am a firm believer of in this life you get what you pay for and at under 5 quid for 25g i wasnt expecting anything great, but this tobacco is a very pleasant surprise and for a pipe smoker who maybe on a tight budget this is a perfect answer. Sure its not going to rock the world but for what it is it knocks the socks off other similar cheap shag cuts and performs a hell of lot better, never getting hot and bitter or turning nasty. And the tobacco will stay fresh for longer as the pouch has a zip lock seal. For price, value and qaulity and taste this is highly recommended from me.

Pipe Used: alco with bulldog bowl

Purchased From: my local co-op

Wibblefishofdoom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wibblefishofdoom (111)

I bought a 25g pouch on the recommendation of Smoggy, his previous recommendations haven't been a let down so I figured I couldn't go wrong, especially given the price.

Upon receiving the pouch, I was pleasantly greeting by it's resealable strip, turns out to be quite a nice touch, especially seeing as the tobacco doesn't stick to it at any point. The aroma in said pouch reminded me a little of the tins of Golden Virginia RYO my grandad used to smoke. The tobacco is a fairly fine shag that packs and lights easily enough. I was pleasantly surprised by the smoke, it has a mild fruitiness, possibly has hints of cherry, though that could be me.

In summary, I can't help agreeing with Smoggy. Not a classic by any means and there's better stuff out there, but given the budget price it's more than worth it. I'll quite happily purchase this again, even if and when my finances perk up a bit.

Purchased From: mysmokingshop.co.uk