This is Tabac Manil's Semois tobacco formed into bouchons; Semois is a Burley varietal developed over hundreds of years in Belgium. Bouchons are short cigars shaped sort of like wine corks with a pouched end (like a toque) and made to be smoked in a pipe; the pouched end is lighted. Please see Tabac Manil's semois tobacco listings for a description of taste and other characteristics. There are no casings or flavorings added to this tobacco.

Notes: Old pipes known as cheroot holders were designed to smoke cheroots, which were short, cylindrical cigars made to be smoked in pipes. This is not popular anymore, but smoking a bouchon in a pipe can be a wonderful experience. Try it, you'll like it.

BrandTabac Manil
PackagingBox of 10 Bouchons
Pleasant to Tolerable, Tolerable
LV9 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LV9 (64)

Floral, earthy, cigar like,; if you are a burley smoker this is something you must find because there's nothing like it nicotine level it's perfect for me just on the side high, but here comes the but lighting this take a bit of practice, smokes cool because it does not touch the bottom pipe, so there's a lot of air along with the smoke, it's a short smoke no more than 25 minutes and its impossible to rehydrate in my opinion it comes fairly dry from the store, I wish some one would make Virginia version of this, the question is would I buy this again... Probably but I would not go out of my way for it.

Pipe Used: Kirsten, ferndown

Age When Smoked: Less than a 6 months

Purchased From: Pipeguys

DrumsAndBeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrumsAndBeer (143)

A generous soul on a pipe-smoker's forum that I belong to sent me a few of these to smoke and they are wonderful. All of the flavors of the Manil semois are here, however these little guys smoke much cooler and slower than the standard thick cut semois for the pipe. This results in greater flavor clarity and a pipe-smoke that stays lit like a well made cigar. I could really taste the nuances in this fine tobacco; a subtle toasty sweetness, (which I didn't get smoking the pipe-cut product), perfectly balanced with an earthy mineral-like flavor along with a spiciness that tingles the tongue. I also tasted the infamous "floral note" that others have described experiencing when smoking the readily available green label La Brumeuse.

I was also gifted 2 different Manil cigars, a long thin one called an "Antique” and a shorter one with slightly thicker ring gauge. Both were fantastic and tasted practically identical to the bouchons. Marvelous tobacco! I smoked these in a cob to avoid charring the inside of the rim of any of my briars.

Pipe Used: Cob