The new tin is round.

Notes: Dark Flake was first produced in 1970 or '71 and was discontinued by the end of the decade.

BrandDunhill
Blended ByDunhill
Manufactured ByDunhill/STG
Blend TypeVirginia/Perique
ContentsPerique, Virginia
ProductionRe-release
Strength
Taste

This review is based on a half tin of the soon to be released version of Dark Flake. The flakes are mainly dark brown with a few tan pieces intertwined. The tin scent is a combination of brown bread, hay, and a little bit of sour. In the pipe, after some needed dry time, Dark Flake offers up quite a bit of smoke. It is brown sugar/molasses sweet and fairly monotone. The mainly bass notes offer up a “richness” to the blend. I have questioned if there is a bit of Cavendish in this flake, but I can't say for sure. It burns fairly slowly and the sweetness builds slightly throughout. DF is medium in strength and fairly full in flavor. There isn't any bite, but it can get a little warm if pushed too much. If there is any topping on this flake, I am having difficulty finding it. My only issue with this blend is that at the very bottom of the bowl it loses a little something, but not enough to keep this from being a four star blend for me. Having never tried the original Dark Flake, I can’t make any comparisons. What I can say is that this a high quality, straightforward flake and lovers of Marlin Flake will likely find a home here too. I expect to cellar a lot of this when it becomes available.

donmartinthree Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
donmartinthree (21)

I picked this up on a whim while buying pipe cleaners at my local tobacconist not knowing what to expect. I am a huge fan of Dunhill Virginias, frequently smoking Flake ('Light Flake') and always having a tin of either Elizabethan or DLNR in my rotation, so not much could go wrong, considering the fact that I also gravitate toward more stout blends, be it in flavor or strength.

On opening the tin, one is greeted with a deliciously ripe, dark, slightly sour and yeasty, but also raisiny smell that one has come to expect from darker Virginias and VaPers. No dark fired here!

The Flakes are, in my tin, all stuck together in a giant and dense, dark brown block of relatively moist-to-the-touch tobacco. This is, despite it feeling so wet, easily folded and stuffed or rubbed out and lights with two matches.

It stays lit pretty well, smokes pretty dry without a filter and stays nice and cool for a Virginia, granted you are accustomed to smoking Virginias and know the right cadence.

The smoke is creamy and cool, doesn't change much throughout the bowl, but I would say the flavor profile is still fairly complex. There is yeasty dark sourdough bread, cocoa, dark-roasted coffee, dried figs, raisins, a slight white pepper tingle/spice and a subdued but pleasant sweetness, accompanied by a slight, delicious bitter note akin to baker's chocolate. Every now and then, an unexpected ginger and warm spice note like cinnamon or clove, even, pops up in the background, which is very tasty.

This is absolutely perfect for the colder days with a nice hot black coffee or even a dram of Glenfarclas or similar. Fantastic tobacco!

Pipe Used: Dunhill 1968 Ruby Bark

Similar Blends: Full Virginia Flake, Best Brown Flake, St. Bernard Flake.

The dark Virginia is the main component and offers bread, wood, dark fruit that is very slightly tangy and sour, some earth, and a little brown sugar. There are a few light streaks of lighter Virginia that accounts for the slight tart citrus, and some vegetative grass and hay. The perique is mildly applied so the raisin, fig, stewed fruitiness and a pinch of spice is mostly in the background. The sweetness is light and has a hint of fermentation. The nic-hit is slightly more than mild. The strength and taste thresholds are just past mild to medium, although the taste and sweet levels edge closer to medium by the time you get to the last quarter of the experience. No chance of bite, and has no harsh or dull moments. The flake is moist and easily breaks apart to suit your preference. Burns a little slow, cool and clean with a moderately smooth, barely creamy, slight rough edged consistent flavor. Leaves little moisture in the bowl, requires some relights, and will burn to ash. Has a pleasant after taste and room note. Can be an all day smoke if you wish. Reminds me a little of a toned down Dunhill Navy Rolls.

O'Confrère Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
O'Confrère (40)

This tin is from August of this year. It is round and contains well cut dark brown rectangular flakes mottled with lighter bits. The humidity level was high, about 28%, so reckon with some drying time. The tin aroma is sweet, reminiscent of fresh peat, sour (fermentation), and, I think SteelCowboy is spot on, offers up more than a hint of molasses, perhaps including some kind of dark berry or rum.

After drying it takes well to the match and burns consistently. The flavours are all up front with the first light, change very little during the smoke, and tend toward the dark side of things. What seemed fresh peat in the tin becomes peat smoke on the pallet, which may indicate dark-fired Kentucky in the blend. Perique is evident (with spice and that strangely fruity earthiness of decomposing leaves). The tannins are pleasant, softly dark, and the molasses is there from start to finish. The Perique prickle is there, but although there is a slightly alkaline tang to the smoke if puffed quickly, I could not get it to bite. Nicotine is apparent and on the high side of medium.

All in all a very serviceable, unproblematic smoke, and if you enjoy these flavours and are looking for a relatively full-bodied smoke that requires little attention, this may be one for you. I'm sure many will love this blend. It's well made and certainly worth a try. I’ll probably finish this tin, but I doubt I’ll be getting back to it anytime soon. It's just too predictable to me, but what seems predictable to me just may be steady and dependable to you. Enjoy!

Pipe Used: Several

Age When Smoked: About three months

This is similar to Ye Olde Signe (dark Virginia leaf), albeit a tad browner and stronger. Flakes are beautifully shaded and pliable. The smell in the tin is woodsy, fragrant, slightly acidic and eloquent. The reintroduction of this tobacco gives perspective to the name of its brother, Light Flake (now only known as Flake). LF is sweeter (with that touch of molasses that makes it so yummy), whereas DF has a more pronounced, straight forward tobacco taste.

In a way DF is akin to Gawith’s Full Virginia Flake but, unlike Lakeland’s rendering, I think the Scandinavian Dunhill is more refined, softer, and in my opinion easier to smoke. The flakes can be readily folded as they are and lightening up is a piece of cake (a two match affair). The smoke is rich, without being intense, with some raisin and dark, unsweetened chocolate notes. Even though the tin description says this flake has some Pèrique, it is barely noticeable. Perhaps this ingredient, however discrete, accounts for its leatherier structure. The taste remains more or less the same throughout the bowl. No need to relight.

Not necessarily something to write home about but, as far as simple Virginias go, Dark Flake is a very good choice.

Pipe Used: Savinelli Roma

Age When Smoked: N/A

Purchased From: Joshua Ward

Similar Blends: Ye Olde Signe, Full Virignia Flake.

Big Train Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Train (46)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

I was looking forward to tasting this tobacco and opened it with some anticipation . Sadly , I did not feel rewarded . The tobacco was sort of stiff and dry in the tin with very little tin note . It was a little stiff to pack and took some work to prepare it for the bowl . Upon smoking I simply did not get the taste of a Virginia flake . It took some puffing to begin to get a sort of peaty , syrupy flavor from it . I suspect this blend has some Kentucky in it but I cannot say for sure . I have never thought Dunhill lite flake an especially strong flake since it usually incited tongue bite and this dark flake is sort of in the same range . While I admit that this flake does have some positive qualities I ask this question ... With the superb quality of K & K folded flakes available why would I smoke this dark flake? With the extremely high quality of Mc Clelland flakes available would I even consider ordering this ? The answer is this ; there is enough super high quality Virginia flakes out there that marginal flakes like this need not be re-ordered .

BriarWoody Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarWoody (14)

This is a delicious Vaper -- dark, rich, creamy and fairly stout, with a touch of brown sugar sweetness. I don't detect any toppings and the core tobaccos shine through. It's straightforward but not monotonous, and the dried fruit sweetness is rounded out nicely with earthiness and notes of espresso and baker's chocolate.

Think of Marlin Flake on steroids, and you get the picture.

There also may be a touch of dark fired KY and a pinch of cavendish.

Whatever is in here, I think it is extremely well-behaved and is best when rubbed out. Like all Dunhills, it delivers a satisfying dose of nicotine as well.

Coalsmoke Russ Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Coalsmoke Russ (1)

With so much buzz on the pipe smoking groups on-line, I looked forward to trying this release from Dunhill. I primarily smoke VA and VaPer flakes, including Dunhill Flake, Wessex Brown VA Flake, Former's Straight Grain Flake, SG's BBF, FVF, Scottish Autumn, etc. and others. I can honestly say that this is the worst VA, or VaPer if you want to call it, that I have smoked in years. I have no idea what the original tasted like, but I am completely disappointed with DDF. As Big Train noted, why smoke a marginal flake? "Marginal" is a kind word for this one. To me, both the strength and body are medium with a slightly sweet but more sour flavor. I feel that the Perique is not very well integrated with the VA resulting in the sourness and is what I dislike the most as it leaves an objectionable aftertaste that no other flake has. Because of this, I don't want to smoke it in any of my briars, but will see how it does in my cob. Based on my experiences, I won't be reordering this one again.

Pipe Used: Peterson Rosslare "106" smooth billiard

Purchased From: smokingpipees.com

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Dark Flake. Virginia. OK, had to have a tin soon as it was available.

The tin note is sweet, very slightly hay-ish, but more dark-sugarish, fruity, slightly winey. The leaf is a stack of dark brown flake slices with a few bright highlights. The slices are almost completely fused together. Ironically, there seems to be only little glue applied: the slices rub out very easily. I have not managed to extract a piece of slice large enough to fold-and-twist, so rubbed-out it is for me. Lights up very well for a flake, burns evenly, and the flavour is nicely sweet, somewhat steamed-fruit-ish. I usually have only ashes left at the end.

Overall, a very nice flake, a relaxed smoke for me.

Pipe Used: Stanwell Shape 11, BC Cobra

Purchased From: DanPipe, Lauenburg, Germany

Similar Blends: Mac Baren - HH Mature Virginia, J. F. Germain & Son - Germain's Brown Flake, John Aylesbury - Dark Virginia Flake.

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A touch peaty with remote hints of dark fruit from the Virginias, the latter reinforced along with a touch of spicy tang from the Perique -- altogether, an easy smoking VA flake, darker perhaps in appearance than in flavor. May be even an all-day smoke for those who really enjoy this category, although for me more of a change of pace.

Pipe Used: briars, cobs, and meers

Age When Smoked: soon after it arrived