Notes: Peter Stokkebye 701 Virginia is a blend of quality flue-cured leaf from lighter-colored grades. The flavor is naturally sweet, with hay-like and citrusy notes. Great on its own, it also makes a terrific blending component.

BrandPeter Stokkebye
Strength
Taste
Very Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant

I bought a pound of this intending to use it to extend or "thin" blends that were a little heavy for my palate. It came very dry and I hydrated it before trying it to see just what I was going to be blending. I was pleasantly surprised to find a very mild, slightly sweet Virginia that worked fairly well for me on its own. There is a little citrus/hay in there, but not much.

Don't get this expecting anything but mild, and there is no complexity here. Is is light on the taste, and there is not much depth. What is there is good and does not challenge. I have also used it to extend/thin, and it has done an excellent job of that.

This one is easy for me to recommend, but know what you are buying.

sirchud68 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sirchud68 (43)
Very Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant

What a wonderful virginia tobacco! I can't help it if I rate most of the blends I review so high. I just love tobacco and , truly, have rarely had any that I couldn't find some value to mention. 701 is an extraordinarily affordable pipe tobacco for the virginia lover that, as I've heard, doubles as an RYO. Being that I use tobacco in pretty much every form, I like this quality quite a bit. My B&M was out of my go-to virginia (Mac Barens #1) so I gave this a go. A nice sweet-n-light all day smoke with no bite. IMHO, you couldn't ask for much more if you like the less heavy virginias.

Pipe Used: Kapets

Age When Smoked: bought in bulk, so who knows?

Purchased From: Piper's Haven, Lafayette, LA.

cobacco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cobacco (48)
Very Mild None Detected Very Mild Tolerable

First of all, this is an exceptional value at about $1.75 an ounce (half pound price). The physical quality is nice, with only an occasional woody bit. The moisture level is perfect. There is a decent sweet virginia flavor. Very low N level, so you can smoke till the cows come home. So the company that sells 500 million cigars a year can really crank out value. And there's a need for that. But honestly, if you can spend a little more DO.

Pipe Used: MM COB