Notes: Peter Stokkebye 701 Virginia is a blend of quality flue-cured leaf from lighter-colored grades. The flavor is naturally sweet, with hay-like and citrusy notes. Great on its own, it also makes a terrific blending component.

BrandPeter Stokkebye
Strength
Taste
3.1
Very Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant

I bought a pound of this intending to use it to extend or "thin" blends that were a little heavy for my palate. It came very dry and I hydrated it before trying it to see just what I was going to be blending. I was pleasantly surprised to find a very mild, slightly sweet Virginia that worked fairly well for me on its own. There is a little citrus/hay in there, but not much.

Don't get this expecting anything but mild, and there is no complexity here. Is is light on the taste, and there is not much depth. What is there is good and does not challenge. I have also used it to extend/thin, and it has done an excellent job of that.

This one is easy for me to recommend, but know what you are buying.

Jacinto Cupboard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jacinto Cupboard (147)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

Pretty much exactly what PS claims it is. A light, naturally sweet Va with citrus and hay notes. This tobacco is completely linear; as others have already noted, don't expect complexity or radical transition as the bowl progresses. What you get in the first puff will be very similar to what you get in the last.

This tobacco burns clean and without attention. I find it clean and refreshing and the acidity suits my mouth enough for it to be an all day 'beater' tobacco.

It is certainly not a 'best in class', but comes at a great price point and is such a user friendly tobacco I am giving it a full 4 stars.

Pipe Used: Lepeltier, cobs

lastgambit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lastgambit (1)

This is my first tobacco review and also blend that constantly stays in my rotation. I like it as an all day and also for blending its flavor is mild and if smoked out of a pipe used for other more strongly flavored tobaccos the subtle bouquet of its flavors will simple not be present. But if smoked own it's own for a time there is some complexity. It begins with a slightly hay-like taste on the initial and true light fading to a slightly sweet smoke with the presence of hay diminishing. About mid-bowl the sweetness increases slightly and there is almost a hint of oranges present. As the tobacco dwindles to a close the flavors climax to something akin to sour oranges. Before fading to nothing.

Pipe Used: MM Cob and Hardwood, various Briar and Meerschaum

Age When Smoked: Fresh Bulk

Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

The Virginias offer some grass, a light earth and citrus, along with a little sugar and spice. The nic-hit just crosses the mild level. Not complex by any means, and it may do better as a mixer. Burns a little fast and can bite a fast puffer, so I recommend a slow puffing cadence to avoid that as well as a harsh cigarette note or two. Doesn’t need many relights, and leaves just a little dampness in the bowl. The after taste is short lived. Lacks excitement and flavor depth. Two and a half stars.

sirchud68 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sirchud68 (53)
Very Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant

What a wonderful virginia tobacco! I can't help it if I rate most of the blends I review so high. I just love tobacco and , truly, have rarely had any that I couldn't find some value to mention. 701 is an extraordinarily affordable pipe tobacco for the virginia lover that, as I've heard, doubles as an RYO. Being that I use tobacco in pretty much every form, I like this quality quite a bit. My B&M was out of my go-to virginia (Mac Barens #1) so I gave this a go. A nice sweet-n-light all day smoke with no bite. IMHO, you couldn't ask for much more if you like the less heavy virginias.

Pipe Used: Kapets

Age When Smoked: bought in bulk, so who knows?

Purchased From: Piper's Haven, Lafayette, LA.

Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Stokkebye’s 701 Virginia is comprised of brighter Virginias. The cut is thin and a little choppy. In the pipe it’s lightly sweet and not very complex. But it is tasty just the same. There is some grass and hay with a small amount of brown sugar that I assume comes from the darker tan pieces. I am going to “buck the trend” a bit and say that I think that there is a tiny amount of added sweet flavoring in this blend. It’s pretty mild in strength and doesn’t bite, but given the components, it will burn hot if pushed. (Something I tend to do). I can see this as a great, inexpensive baccy for straight Virginia smokers or a something to brighten a blend. It should cellar well too. I have been impressed with this recent batch of bulk Stokkebye blends for both their quality and price point.

cobacco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cobacco (52)
Very Mild None Detected Very Mild Tolerable

First of all, this is an exceptional value at about $1.75 an ounce (half pound price). The physical quality is nice, with only an occasional woody bit. The moisture level is perfect. There is a decent sweet virginia flavor. Very low N level, so you can smoke till the cows come home. So the company that sells 500 million cigars a year can really crank out value. And there's a need for that. But honestly, if you can spend a little more DO.

Pipe Used: MM COB

Age When Smoked: fresh bulk

cajomu Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cajomu (35)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I bought a pound of this a few years ago, intending to use it as a blending tobacco. I put it up in a large glass jar and promptly forgot about it. Recently, while inventorying my tobacco, I came across it and started smoking it, first in a few Stanwell briars and then in an old Barling African meerschaum.

Somewhat to my surprise, it turned out to be a really good Virginia. I am partial to Virginias and so tend to judge them rigorously. I expected PS Virginia 701 to be a monochromatic tobacco. I was wrong. Instead, I discovered that, while mild, it has a lot of character. On lighting up, the taste is sweet and spicy, almost as if it were a VaPer. By mid-bowl, the sugars intensify and it transitions to a raisiny tasting tobacco when smoked in a briar and a citrusy tasting tobacco when smoked in an African meerschaum. Toward the end of the bowl, smoked in a briar, it becomes toasty, while smoked in an African meerschaum it takes on a floral taste. While the PS description says it has no flavoring, I detect a rum casing.

While I've rated it only three stars because of how mild it is, given the price (~$25.00 per pound), this could easily become a regular smoke. If you are partial to pure Virginias, I would recommend you purchase a few ounces and give it a try.

Pipe Used: Various briars, African meerschaum