Brigham Hudson's Bay Pipe Tobacco - Matured Virginia presented in an English style thick cut, broken flake. Medium and dark brown matured Virginia is compliments with the addition of stoved black Virginia to create a really rich, deep natural tobacco flavor and aroma.

Notes: This was formerly packaged as (Mr. B's) Yacht Club, from the d-series -- only the label on the tin has changed.

BrandBrigham Enterprises Inc.
Packaging1.76 oz Tin
Strength
None Detected, Extremely Mild, Very Mild, Mild, Mild to Medium
Taste
3.4
Taste Buds Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taste Buds (162)

This is supposedly R.L. Will's take on Royal Yacht. I find Royal Yacht to be too full for my taste, with more nicotine than I can tolerate. This is a much milder version, with moderate nicotine. The casing is of various fruity flavors, which I find to be very tasty. The Virginias are of the highest quality. To me, this is a Virginia aromatic of the highest order. Very smooth and delicious from start to finish. Burns to a fine grey ash. For maximum enjoyment, airing and drying is recommended. Rubbing it out fully is my preference for releasing all the flavor and improving the burning qualities. I think this is pretty special, but would like to read what other pipesters have to say.

Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

As fellow reviewer Taste Buds indicated, Hudson's Bay is made to simulate the famous (or infamous) Dunhill Royal Yacht - a blend I loved when Murray's produced but now do not like as the Orlik version is not similar in any way according to my tastes. Hudson's Bay however, is similar and with aging, may be worth the effort to smoke regularly as a replacement. Not nearly as strong as Royal Yacht, and certainly without the same depth of flavor. But, I liked it and do believe it will cellar well.

Pipestud

½ bowl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
½ bowl (62)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

Wine-like and slightly sweet. Very smooth, with creamy mouth feel and good smoke volume. Lots of Virginia flavor and nuanced tastes changing throughout the bowl. No trace of anything sharp, grassy, or "hot". I didn't pick up on any artificial flavoring, although the fruity flavors abound in this blend, and it is hard to account for their clarity if this is indeed a pure non-aromatic, as advertised. Top notch stuff, in my book.

Pipe Used: Noname meerschaum, Radice, Ser Jacopo, Rinaldo

Age When Smoked: newly purchased

Purchased From: SmokingPipes.com

Similar Blends: said to resemble Dunhill Royal Yacht.

Phils Galore Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Phils Galore (4)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I've never been a fan of straight Virginia's, especially the stoved variety. Hudson's Bay, however, may change my mind. It smokes cool with plenty of flavour in every briar in which I've tried it. When you first open the tin, you are engulfed with a smell that reminded me of juicyfruit gum. This fruity taste rewards every smoke, along with hints of incense and a herbal note. I'm guessing that this hasn't had any additional flavouring added ( as is stated on the tin) but I wouldn't be surprised to learn otherwise. It looks like some of McClelland's broken flake and smells a bit like some of the old Dunhill virginias. I can see this becoming one of my regular smokes, even in cold weather.

Pipe Used: variety of briars

Age When Smoked: fresh off the store shelf

Purchased From: Victory Cigars, Oshawa Ont. Canada

Junkyard Dawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Junkyard Dawg (73)

Well this Royal Yacht remake is pretty bang on! The tobacco composition and cut is much closer to the Murray's version than the current Orlik version. The topping is also closer, more of the fruity note that was typical of it. Orlik's version is very good taken as it is, without no comparison or reference to the previous version. There is also less nicotine in Hudson's Bay but there's enough to keep me happy. Burns well and dry to the bottom without any bite. Taste is awesome and not intruding on the tobacco taste. R. L. Will did a great job on Hudson's Bay. 3 stars and I will stash some up.