Russ' Blend of the Month for October 2013 Candy Corn is a sweet, but not too-sweet blend of Virginia and black Cavendish with a subtle vanilla note reminiscent of the autumn treat

Brandpipesandcigars.com
2.2
TXBulldog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TXBulldog (55)
Mild Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

This is one sweet aromatic. Upon lighting and early on you'll draw some sweet essence. As it makes its way toward mid bowl this one really picks up the sweetness and is quite enjoyable. Where it loses me is toward the ending where it flattens out. Not much in the way of tobacco flavor pulling through, but if your looking for a sweet note, you'll definitely get it here. Overall an enjoyable smoke. Must say though, it left my mouth with a coating I couldn't wait to clear when I was done. A sweet, sweet aro if that's what you are looking for - I'll rate it for what it is. Couldn't knock this back over and over, but it's a good one to let sit and find once in awhile for a treat.

Pipe Used: bjarne, rossi, la strada

Age When Smoked: New and 6 mos.

Purchased From: P&C

Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

The black cavendish has some smoothly sweet vanilla. The burley is nutty with a little earth, though it’s impact is mostly sublimated by the toppings: vanilla, cocoa and caramel. I think there may be a splash of a dark cavendish here, too. I do get a sense of candy corn in the taste, but it doesn’t reach out and scream “this is candy corn” to me. Though the vanilla and cocoa play well with each other, the caramel often seemed to take a little more of the lead. The toppings didn’t seem to be quite as rich as I had expected, but it is a comfortable all day mild smoke. Burns at a moderate pace with no bite or goop as the flavors remain consistent to the finish. Has a nice room note and after taste.

Mild Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

I bought 4 oz of this just for fun. It was very sweet, and it was a pleasant enough smoke that managed to hit the Candy Corn flavor nicely.

I smoked probably half the bag and gave the rest away. I can smoke it, but for my taste buds, I want more tobacco flavor.

A friend of mine mixed this half and half with G, H & Co.'s Dark Plug, and I was impressed. It was still sweet, but it gained some muscle. I found this a very nice (and unexpected) combo. I smoked about an ounce of the mix and enjoyed it.

if you want seriously sweet in a blend that is mild, this is probably a 3.

wmf Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wmf (9)
Mild Medium to Strong Full Very Pleasant

OK sweet tooth people- This aro is good one. Not overly sweet but I'll be darned if it doesn't taste like a tobacco you'd buy at the state fair (if possible). Caramel, popcorn, and some good dark ribbon cut virginia and black cav flavor. Really good tobacco. A fantastic and interesting smoke at task. For me, a bit cloying in one stationary smoking sesh unless in a small bowl for a short break. I blend this stuff 1 to 1 in a freezer bag with C&D's Billy Budd and press it between 2 oak boards clamped as tight as I can get em. Let em love on each other for a month and pop it open. Fantastic stuff. Solid 3 star aro and a 4 star blender.

Pipe Used: Small bowled various

Purchased From: P&C

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (217)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

Getting down to the last of my one ounce aromatic samples from Pipes and Cigars I got to Candy Corn by Russ Oulette. This is quite the tasty blend! Reminiscent of 1-Q and Butternut Burley but in a league of its own, I see a ribbon cut of blacks and browns with the aroma of you guessed it Candy Corn. Taste is buttery and savory as well as sweet but not bland or boring like an all black cav can be, the flavor strengthens down the bowl. Candy Corn reminds me of a warm Cinnabun and has that comforting room note one would think something's baking and delighted anyone around me. Russ blends Larry's Blend and Candy Corn which shows he can do both ends of the pipe tobacco spectrum with ease and Candy Corn deserves to be smoked in October and November around Halloween and Thanksgiving to start and end the Autumn season right! 4 stars I reserve for my absolute favorites I smoke daily but Candy Corn is 3.5 * in my book, really nice Russ!

Pipe Used: Cobs, no name italian briar

Age When Smoked: Fresh from Bulk

Similar Blends: pipesandcigars.com - Scotty's Butternut Burley, Lane Limited - 1-Q, Boswell Pipes & Tobacco - Christmas Cookie, Sutliff Tobacco Company - Mountain Pass (Sutliff Private Stock).