PipesAndCigars

CAO Black is a unique aromatic blend. The tobacco has a rich and tangy raspberry note, with a subtle undercurrent of creamy vanilla and cocoa, giving it a sweet and smooth flavor. Best of all, it's one of the most gentle-smoking blends you're likely to try. For a bite-free, blend with a great aroma, you've got to try CAO Black.

BrandCAO
ContentsBurley, Cavendish, Virginia
FlavoringCocoa / Chocolate, Raspberry, Vanilla
Where to Buy PipesAndCigars
Strength
Extremely Mild, Very Mild, Mild, Mild to Medium
Taste

2.7
Pipe Newb Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe Newb (49)
Very Mild Very Strong Medium Very Pleasant

This tin smells like dessert, seriously. I considered dipping it (and may still) the topping smells that good. No "chem" smells, just raspberry jam and vanilla upfront, roasted cocoa/coffee when you really get in there.

Initial char, a hollow, tinny smoke with a strong dry raspberry. As I tamped and did a full light I got a great big mouthful of raspberry and cocoa smoke that was incredibly thick. Just as with the tin note, not a lot of chemical taste or smell, just raspberries. The smell was heavy on the vanilla where I didn't really detect it as much when competing with the raspberry flavor of the smoke.

Halfway through the bowl, I started to pick up some coconut flavors. I also picked up a very familiar aromatic taste, like the smell of Dad's Borkum Riff vanilla cav.

Despite smoking this pipe rather hot (like a fat kid eating cake, really) I didn't get any tongue bite, even when I could tell the smoke was hotter than it should have been.

This is a wonderful aromatic, for the reason that it is more strongly flavored than anything else I've had, yet does not have any of the more synthetic flavors once it starts burning. The burn qualities were exceptional, even when hot this didn't bite.

The only drawback being that the tobacco, at no time, takes anything more than the role of "flavor delivery medium". That's ok, but I think I would have liked to taste some more distinct tobaccos in there as well.

Pipe Used: Benton Bulldog (Edwards)

Age When Smoked: Unknown

cobacco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cobacco (52)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is a Lane Tobacco and as a fan of CAO products, I don't feel that it's a good representation for CAO. I don't care for the whimsical clear plastic disk on top of the tobacco as it hinders the drying of the opened tin (and it needs to dry desperately). There's surprising little flavor, other than vanilla. The Virginia content is just a teaser and not a player. This stuff smokes like a coal furnace; once it's burning, it continues to burn like a scented bathroom candle - magic hee hee. If you're looking for a great Raspberry flavor, buy some Lane Black Raspberry in bulk; it smokes much better and has less PPG. CAO Black is saturated with goopy oily gunk and besides leaving my mouth raw, it made one hell of a mess in my pipe. If you've never tried CAO Moontrance or Eileens Dream, please don't prejudge CAO based on this muck. I bought two tins when CAO Black first hit the market because they were on sale 2 for 1; I gave one tin to a friend (he likes it). I don't like giving bad reviews, and perhaps the first batch had some problems. But if you're looking for Captain Black, buy Captain Black and if you plan to smoke aromatics regularly, it might be best to purchase them in bulk as the preservatives seem to be much more prevalent in tins.

Pipe Used: MM Country Gentleman COB

Age When Smoked: 4 month tin

Purchased From: pipesandcigars

guitar2mw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
guitar2mw (60)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This blend is another winner for CAO. I really don't know how they manage to create such wonderful aromatics, but I'm glad they've figured it out. This blend isn't one that I crave much, and I think it's mainly due to the fact that I dislike berry-flavored anything. However, this one does offer the aromatic smoker a bit more complexity. As with other CAO blends, this one comes ready to smoke with just the right moisture and it packs well into nearly any bowl. The first charring light will give you a blast of berry flavor. I wasn't sure I would like it after that, but I kept going. I was glad that I did: I got more than just a berry flavor from it: toasted marshmallow and cocoa come to mind. It was pretty refreshing, and great to have in the morning as a sweet fix. If you like aromatics, you just can't go wrong with CAO.

Pipe Used: Various briars

Age When Smoked: Fresh from the tin

Similar Blends: Other CAO blends.

Ambush1964 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ambush1964 (12)
Extremely Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Tin note is great, raspberry,vanilla,caramel,whiskey. It looks, smells, and smokes like Lane BCA bulk with a raspberry topping addition. The tin-note is stronger than either its flavor or room-note. It smoked well right out of the tin, but it could have been dried a bit for a better/drier smoke. Lane BCA is one of my favorite tobaccos, and this one adds just a hint of the raspberry adding a new dimension to a tried and true tobacco. I think the Lane BCA smokes nearly the same, and as a bulk is a better value. This tobacco would be a bit better if it had a slightly stronger berry flavor, if that could be accomplished without adding too much "goop". Very light tobacco, low vitamin-N. It burned to the bottom of the bowl with just a slight bit of wet dottle left behind which may have been remedied with a bit of drying. I would recommend this tobacco to anyone who likes aromatics.

Pipe Used: Kings Cross Fetherweigt Canadian 802A

Purchased From: Pipes & Cigars

Similar Blends: Lane BCA with added berry flavor.

Old6String Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old6String (24)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

I'd have to agree with Pipe Newb that this an excellent non-biting flavorful smoke. I'm sitting on the porch enjoying my first bowl and couldn't be happier!

Upon initial opening of the tin you are greeted by what appears to be a really wet dark cavendish and a sparse offering of gold cavendish and some Virginia. Wet is not the case, in fact right after lighting I had to run inside for a few minutes and came back out to a still lit pipe.

The first light lent a very nice raspberry taste and subtle dark chocolate hints that are not fighting against the fruity side at all. The two tastes have melded together nicely and are providing a rather enjoyable first bowl. I also agree that the tobaccos are hiding in the background and have yet to rear their heads half way through; only the tasty smoke.

I really don't care for the taste ofraspberry candy or ice cream but received the Black as part of a three tin sampler from P&C. I was blown away by the Eileen's Dream, could take or leave the Moontrance, but am really liking this Black.

I am a fan of this. At halfway the raspberry has faded and it seems that this experience will end as a soft cocoa.

Pipe Used: MM Country Gentleman

Age When Smoked: Fresh Tin

Purchased From: P&C

CTS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CTS (130)

Yes, I am a predominantly non-aro kind of guy. That being said, I thoroughly enjoyed this aro blend, and evaluate it as such. I do get hints of good underlying pure base tobacco. The flavor combination is well done throughout the smoke - with the berry and chocolate coming through, with a nice spice tingle on the retrohale. Burned very well on one intitial light. While smoking this I couldn't help reminding myself of how well CAO has done in the tobacco realm - with CAO Brazilia Gol being one of my favorite cigars. Black is an excellently baccy from start to finish. Clean burn. Well done! 4*.

Pipe Used: Sasieni Royal Stuart

Age When Smoked: Unknown.

Purchased From: Gift from Christmas 2014.

DaBadMan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DaBadMan (5)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Very Pleasant

A pleasant surprise. This tobacco has turned out to be my favorite of a P&C 5 tin CAO sampler. The dark chocolate flavor is rich but never overpowering. It mixed very well with the raspberry and by the end of the bowl left me with the subtle taste of cocoa. It was much like the taste left a few minutes after finishing a mug of hot chocolate. The room note was exceedingly pleasant. I found many bystanders asking for more. At times I French inhale this tobacco to glean from it every form of flavor it has to offer. This tobacco was not overly moist not was it dry. It smoked beautifully fresh from the tin. At times I puff this tobacco to quickly and to deeply because of it's deliciousness and still no bite was to be found. The tobacco taste is there, but as a supporting character, in which it does a fine job of fulfilling it's role. I couldn't be happier with this blend.

Pipe Used: Shire Churchwarden, Self Mulberry Churchwarden

Age When Smoked: Fresh. It didn't last long

Purchased From: P&C

Bbrown626 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bbrown626 (34)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Every once in a while I satisfy my sweet tooth with tobacco. This one fits the bill. The tin note is amazing, mine was not overly moist as others have noted. It burned well with minimal relights - none until I neared the bottom of the bowl. The room note got the "wife seal of approval." On the downside, I wish it had a little more tobacco taste to it and a little more kick. No matter how hard I pushed IT DID NOT BITE. Overall - not a bad smoke. After my third tin, I am bumping this to a 4 star - The more I smoke it the more I like it!

Pipe Used: Meerschaum - large bowl

Purchased From: Cigars International

Der Pfeifenraucher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Der Pfeifenraucher (35)
Extremely Mild Strong Medium Very Pleasant

CAO black is in a class of tobaccos I refer to as the modern American aromatics, the flavor is ALL topping and NO tobacco. I never smoked a Hookah but imagine this weed would be at home in a hookah as well. The cavendish here, as a reviewer stated already, is a flavor delivery substrate and nothing more. Upon opening he tin you get smacked with the raspberry. It is a delicious smell and very strong. You can also get the cocoa and maybe some vanilla in the tin note but you have to try for it. It is excessively moist and needs a few hours dry time but once aired sufficiently it's ready to bring the goods. This tobacco is all about the topping and it delivers. Raspberry up front then cocoa and/or vanilla in the background depending on the puff. You'll need a few extra matches but Black is nice and consistent to the bottom. You'll be left with some sticky goo, some crusting, and a ghosted pipe but that's to be expected with this type of aro. Excellent room and beard note also expected with this class of tobacco. Hardly any nicotine to be had, just topping, topping, topping. I like this for an after lunch pipe before heading back to work or when doing something outside and feeling like a sweet smokable treat. Unsuitable for real, heady, pre-bedtime piping. Highly recommended for lovers of the highly cased leaf, for everyone else, meh.

Pipe Used: grabow

Purchased From: PandC

Alparoleofficer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alparoleofficer (10)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

The can of tobacco I got was pretty moist so it may need some additional time to dry. I agree with some of the other reviews that Eileens dream is a much better blend, as I couldnt taste any of the rasberry or coco taste so much. Ill give it another shot in a briar pipe and see how that goes.

Pipe Used: Mo Meerschaum Mini

Purchased From: Pipesandcigars.com

rushm1n3r Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rushm1n3r (15)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

Cao Black is a fruity desert tobacco. After having a half-tin, here are my notes:

No tongue bite. Mellow, girlfriend-approved room note. For me, the tin note smelled too strong of raspberries. This will prevent me from buying Cao Black again, although those who like cherry-type tobaccos may find the fruity note pleasurable. My tin needed to be dried for a full day. The smoke was surprisingly more pleasant than the tin note, as the raspberry aroma, while noticeable, wasn't overpowering and eventually gave way to a cocoa flavor. What I liked best about the blend was that it burned cooler than I expected. The nicotine buzz was also nice and mild. I had anxiety the fruity notes would stain my bowl, but thus far, this hasn't happened.

Pipe Used: Peterson Kinsale

Age When Smoked: Fresh tin dried for a full day.

Old German puffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old German puffer (73)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

Another of my clearance purchases. I opened this up and could tell it needed drying time. Left it for a day and it was then smoke ready. Lit up easy and gave off light smoke. Had a good room note but very little taste. This has so much stuff put into it it has a hard time with what it is. I guess that is why the taste was so hard. I would not recommend this at all. Still smoked wet and left a ton of goop at the bottom of the pipe.

Pipe Used: Peterson 302