PipesAndCigars

CAO Black is a unique aromatic blend. The tobacco has a rich and tangy raspberry note, with a subtle undercurrent of creamy vanilla and cocoa, giving it a sweet and smooth flavor. Best of all, it's one of the most gentle-smoking blends you're likely to try. For a bite-free, blend with a great aroma, you've got to try CAO Black.

BrandCAO
2.5
Pipe Newb Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe Newb (40)
Very Mild Very Strong Medium Very Pleasant

This tin smells like dessert, seriously. I considered dipping it (and may still) the topping smells that good. No "chem" smells, just raspberry jam and vanilla upfront, roasted cocoa/coffee when you really get in there.

Initial char, a hollow, tinny smoke with a strong dry raspberry. As I tamped and did a full light I got a great big mouthful of raspberry and cocoa smoke that was incredibly thick. Just as with the tin note, not a lot of chemical taste or smell, just raspberries. The smell was heavy on the vanilla where I didn't really detect it as much when competing with the raspberry flavor of the smoke.

Halfway through the bowl, I started to pick up some coconut flavors. I also picked up a very familiar aromatic taste, like the smell of Dad's Borkum Riff vanilla cav.

Despite smoking this pipe rather hot (like a fat kid eating cake, really) I didn't get any tongue bite, even when I could tell the smoke was hotter than it should have been.

This is a wonderful aromatic, for the reason that it is more strongly flavored than anything else I've had, yet does not have any of the more synthetic flavors once it starts burning. The burn qualities were exceptional, even when hot this didn't bite.

The only drawback being that the tobacco, at no time, takes anything more than the role of "flavor delivery medium". That's ok, but I think I would have liked to taste some more distinct tobaccos in there as well.

Pipe Used: Benton Bulldog (Edwards)

Age When Smoked: Unknown

cobacco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cobacco (48)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is a Lane Tobacco and as a fan of CAO products, I don't feel that it's a good representation for CAO. I don't care for the whimsical clear plastic disk on top of the tobacco as it hinders the drying of the opened tin (and it needs to dry desperately). There's surprising little flavor, other than vanilla. The Virginia content is just a teaser and not a player. This stuff smokes like a coal furnace; once it's burning, it continues to burn like a scented bathroom candle - magic hee hee. If you're looking for a great Raspberry flavor, buy some Lane Black Raspberry in bulk; it smokes much better and has less PPG. CAO Black is saturated with goopy oily gunk and besides leaving my mouth raw, it made one hell of a mess in my pipe. If you've never tried CAO Moontrance or Eileens Dream, please don't prejudge CAO based on this muck. I bought two tins when CAO Black first hit the market because they were on sale 2 for 1; I gave one tin to a friend (he likes it). I don't like giving bad reviews, and perhaps the first batch had some problems. But if you're looking for Captain Black, buy Captain Black and if you plan to smoke aromatics regularly, it might be best to purchase them in bulk as the preservatives seem to be much more prevalent in tins.

Pipe Used: MM Country Gentleman COB

Age When Smoked: 4 month tin

Purchased From: pipesandcigars

Old6String Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old6String (12)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

I'd have to agree with Pipe Newb that this an excellent non-biting flavorful smoke. I'm sitting on the porch enjoying my first bowl and couldn't be happier! Upon initial opening of the tin you are greeted by what appears to be a really wet dark cavendish and a sparse offering of gold cavendish and some Virginia. Wet is not the case, in fact right after lighting I had to run inside for a few minutes and came back out to a still lit pipe. The first light lent a very nice raspberry taste and subtle dark chocolate hints that are not fighting against the fruity side at all. The two tastes have melded together nicely and are providing a rather enjoyable first bowl. I also agree that the tobaccos are hiding in the background and have yet to rear their heads half way through; only the tasty smoke. I really don't care for raspberry candy or ice cream but received the Black as part of a three tin sampler from P&C. I was blown away by the Eileen's Dream, could take or leave the Moontrance, but am really liking this Black. Even though I'm not a fan of the candy I am a fan of this. At halfway the raspberry has faded and it seems that this experience will end as a soft cocoa.

Pipe Used: MM Country Gentleman

Age When Smoked: Fresh Tin

Purchased From: P&C

Bbrown626 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bbrown626 (4)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Every once in a while I satisfy my sweet tooth with tobacco. This one fits the bill. The tin note is amazing, mine was not overly moist as others have noted. It burned well with minimal relights - none until I neared the bottom of the bowl. The room note got the "wife seal of approval." On the downside, I wish it had a little more tobacco taste to it and a little more kick. No matter how hard I pushed IT DID NOT BITE. Overall - not a bad smoke

Pipe Used: Meerschaum - large bowl

Purchased From: pipes and cigars.com

Der Pfeifenraucher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Der Pfeifenraucher (22)
Extremely Mild Strong Medium Very Pleasant

CAO black is in a class of tobaccos I refer to as the modern American aromatics, the flavor is ALL topping and NO tobacco. I never smoked a Hookah but imagine this weed would be at home in a hookah as well. The cavendish here, as a reviewer stated already, is a flavor delivery substrate and nothing more. Upon opening he tin you get smacked with the raspberry. It is a delicious smell and very strong. You can also get the cocoa and maybe some vanilla in the tin note but you have to try for it. It is excessively moist and needs a few hours dry time but once aired sufficiently it's ready to bring the goods. This tobacco is all about the topping and it delivers. Raspberry up front then cocoa and/or vanilla in the background depending on the puff. You'll need a few extra matches but Black is nice and consistent to the bottom. You'll be left with some sticky goo, some crusting, and a ghosted pipe but that's to be expected with this type of aro. Excellent room and beard note also expected with this class of tobacco. Hardly any nicotine to be had, just topping, topping, topping. I like this for an after lunch pipe before heading back to work or when doing something outside and feeling like a sweet smokable treat. Unsuitable for real, heady, pre-bedtime piping. Highly recommended for lovers of the highly cased leaf, for everyone else, meh.

Pipe Used: grabow

Purchased From: PandC

Alparoleofficer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alparoleofficer (8)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

The can of tobacco I got was pretty moist so it may need some additional time to dry. I agree with some of the other reviews that Eileens dream is a much better blend, as I couldnt taste any of the rasberry or coco taste so much. Ill give it another shot in a briar pipe and see how that goes.

Pipe Used: Mo Meerschaum Mini