American style blend composed of Virginia, burley and cavendish topped with tropical coconut. A beautiful sweet mixture that is very easy going and leaves a wonderful room aroma. Medium strength.

BrandGawith, Hoggarth & Co.
Blended ByGawith, Hoggarth & Co.
Manufactured ByGawith, Hoggarth & Co.
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Virginia
FlavoringNuts / Beans, Other / Misc
Packagingbulk
Strength
Mild to Medium, Medium, Medium to Strong, Extra Strong
Taste
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Caribbean Coconut.

The unlit aroma is really intriguing and the moistness is of a perfect level. Once lit the coconut comes across well, with an accompaniment of sticky sweetness. It burns well enough, only needing re-lights if neglected and the smoke from it's cool.

Nicotine: below medium. Room-note: very nice.

Just short of full marks. Recommended:

Three stars.

Pipe Used: Mr Brog

Purchased From: Smoke King

Courtney Fish Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Courtney Fish (18)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Tin aroma is VERY heavy and very sweet but absolutely delicious, as is the totally tropical room note. I imagine virtually all of this aroma is from the topping rather than casing as relatively little transfers to the taste so although the aroma is sweet the taste surprisingly is not. So we are left with a very pleasant flavour overall, with a good balance of light virginias and sweet cavendish, but just a little too mild on the tobacco front for my personal taste. Great quality tobacco cut in consistent grade and with good moisture level making for easy packing and lighting. No bite no matter how fast it is smoked. Leaves little dottle and only a little dampness in the bowl. Material/size of bowl has virtually no impact on the flavour.

Pipe Used: Carey, Falcon, Peterson, MM

Age When Smoked: Fresh from the tobacconist

Purchased From: Local tobacconist

Similar Blends: Most other GH blends.

Nutty Slack Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nutty Slack (6)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Normally I avoid fruit-flavoured blends and tend to go for fairly traditional options. I was recently in Robert Graham in Cambridge and not being able to find any tins that I liked decided to try three samplers of their loose tobacco, one of which being this.

I have to say I really like it. The tin note, as you might expect, is strongly of coconut, as is the smoke. You can however tell that this is backed up by excellent quality tobacco. It leaves a lovely room note. It's easy to pack and I find the moisture level fine. It takes a light easily and doesn't need much by way of relights. I enjoy it as a light morning smoke with a black coffee. I'll be going back for more.

Pipe Used: Falcon straight

Purchased From: Robert Graham, Cambridge

Little Steven Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Little Steven (66)
Mild Extra Strong Overwhelming Unnoticeable

I can always tell when the young lady who lives in the flat below me has been in the shower. The stench of fantastical fruity soaps and shampoos is such a give away.

I worry that if I smoke Caribbean Coconut the witch upstairs will think that I've been showering again.

Like everything else from Gawith Hoggarth the quality of the baccy is top notch. The flower arrangement is peculiar. It's not for me.

Moreover, ten minutes in the taste becomes one of, well, it's hard to describe. Burned rubber? Rancid knick knacks? I don't know but it ain't nice. And it lingers in the mouth until a lozenge is masticated.

Worth a try? No, not really.

Pipe Used: Stanwell billiard.

Age When Smoked: Some months.

Purchased From: Can't remember.