Formulated for a smooth, rich flavor with an incomparable woodsy aroma. Blended from finest matured red cake, Stoved Black Virginia, wide-cut Bright Virginia and other premium tobaccos. Virginia Woods offers one of the ultimate experiences in fragrant Matured Virginia blend smoking.

Blended ByMcClelland Tobacco Company
Taste

2.9
Bob Smith Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bob Smith (8)

Virginia Woods, like all the McClelland Virginias, is an extraordinary tobacco. It is as sweet as honey, and has a bold, spicy flavor. By spicy I don't mean peppery, like Perique, but like the brown spices: cloves, allspice and cinnamon. Its sweetness comes from the natural sugars in the leaf, not from any top flavoring or casing. I like its soft, fluffy texture. It also ages wonderfully.

Besides enjoying it on its own, I use it as a blending tobacco. I like English blends, but I prefer those with a bit of sweetness. If I try a new English blend and I like it, but it isn't at all sweet, I can usually make it more to my liking by adding a little Virginia Woods. I also use it whenever I break in a new pipe. The sugars really season the briar quickly.

The only negative for me about this blend is the same drawback I find with all straight Virginias: they don't have the richness or body of a good English blend. They're like eating sorbet instead of ice cream.

I have posted the identical review for Deep Hollow. To me, Virginia Woods and Deep Hollow taste almost exactly the same. Both are great, but virtually indistinguishable from each other.

TattooGuy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TattooGuy (9)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Tolerable to Strong

I know it is a matter of personal tastes and here's just my opinion about that blend. When opening the tin you smell only ketchup, vinegar and barbecue sauce... I was a bit confused but curious. The tobaccos is for sure of great quality. Packs well but needs few relights along the way. It really tastes what it smells; a tobacco taste completely overwhelmed by ketchup, vinegar and barbecue sauce. This is definitely not for me. 1 star.

scottbtdmb Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
scottbtdmb (4)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

First of all, this is my first review here on tobaccoreviews.com Having only smoked a pipe for a couple months now, I was started to tire of aromatics and wanted to branch out and experiment. My local tobbaconist recommended VA Woods to me and was able to secure a three year old tin for me. Upon opening the tin, I was greeted with a rich, woodsy aroma, and was also able to detect the supposed "ketchup/vinegary" staple smell of McClleland tobacco blends (which I found most pleasant. All I can say regarding the taste of VA Woods is that I was in pure bliss from the first puff! I smoked the first bowl of VW out of a newly bought Savinelli Estella rustic pipe and it was just plain magic. I actually had to shake my tobacconist's hand on his suggestion. The room note was a rich woodsy aroma, reminding me of the camping trip I went on last summer to Harpers Ferry, West Virginia. The taste was every bit as rich and wonderful as the aroma. Pure bliss I tell you! Since the first smoke of this fine blend, I have made several additional revelations. 1.) I recently purchased a nice big Butz Choquin calabash pipe which seems to be the perfect companion for VA Woods (hence I have designated the BC for VA Woods 2.) For beer drinkers on here, VA Woods goes really well with a Dogfish Head 90 min IPA. The tangy, hoppy bitterness of the 90 min compliment the tangy, woodsy, richness of the VA Woods. I plan on buying a Dogfish 120 this weekend in hopes of finding an even better compliment! All in all, this is the first Virginia blend I ever smoked and thus far it has remained my staple! Highly recommended!

LV9 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LV9 (59)
Very Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

If you like the sweetness of red virginia and stove Virginias and no nicotine this is the blend for you, easy to light somewhat easy to keep lit, the cut is mostly ribbon, the flavoring mention by others reviewers was undetectable by me, what you got here is sweetness and spicyness from the Virginias if you are a novice and is looking for their first Virginia blend you could do worse this blend is very forgiving when you over puff, would I buy it again most likely no, I like more nicotine from my smoke, but kudos to McClleland for creating a no fuss virginia blend.

Pipe Used: Beraldi

Purchased From: Pipesandcigars.com

BurleyTwirp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BurleyTwirp (5)
Very Mild Strong Very Mild Tolerable

very disappointed and confused. it has an overly-artificial top flavor. Similar to a captain black offering. Not quite as prevalent, but present enough to be an absolute turnoff to anyone who dislikes the artificial and chemically taste of that style of aromatic. BE WARNED! check out some of the older reviews of this blend, and you'll find several others who feel the same way. One reviewer mentions a very wet bowl post-smoke. Another clear indication of too much chemical additive. You'd think McClelland knows their audience. I don't know what they were thinking with this one.

zakellen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zakellen (4)

I'll keep it short:

I usually do not do aromatics...but this stuff...I'll make an exception.

It is well done. The small amount of sugar is justified. It really helps to round out and intensify the natural VA sweetness. The flavor is completely unique and, without trying to sound obvious, really does tastes great while walking through the woods.

VA Woods is manageable and behaves well and better yet does not stink up my pipes.

I smoke coming from work and when my pipe is packed with this blend I plan on taking the long way home.

-Z

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

Opening the tin of this beautifully-named blend, I detect a background note of something like burnt rubber, a note that is present during the actual smoking. I assume this to be some humectant or other, which will evaporate after a while. This review is based on that assumption. If the smell does NOT go away, I will lower the recommendation and throw the tobacco away. Many are the comments that have been made about McClelland's odious use of humectants. I feel it is high time the company did something about it.

I don't know that the other premium tobaccos are: I suspect some cavendish muffler. For a pure Virginia blend this bites very little, and one gets to enjoy the zip of the lemon Bright without the penalties: quite an accomplishment.

Otherwise this is more of the nutty Red grassiness kind of taste than the maple sugar kind of taste: very agreeable and sec, with an occasional, almost-Périque pungency.

If it weren't for the gaminess of the [glycol?] dingitude, this would be an excellent product. Get with it, McC. Leave that stuff for antifreeze, damn it!

I had think about this one before deciding how I felt about it. I found the spice note lighter than some reviewers, noticeable in a mild way. The sweetness from the red Virginia is very welcome, well complimented by the light sweetness and hay/grass flavors from the other Virginias. There's a very pleasing creaminess to the smoke, and once dried a little, burns fairly well. It could use a little more deepness of Virginia, but I don't think that was the intent of this mixture. The only reason I can't give it four stars is because of the vinegary taste present in so many McClelland blends. I was tempted to give it four stars anyway, because it's worth buying and smoking, but that vinegar detracts from what could be an all time classic. Instead, it's just a very good product, which may seem like damning with praise, but there's certainly nothing wrong with smoking it if you want a medium presence in your pipe.

Uban Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Uban (34)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Pleasant

Just cracked a tin marked 00 & lit up straightaway to break in a new pipe - Hilson Jr Extra, NOS, 14 mm long, 40 mm high, 17 mm bowl, 30 mm outside (thick wall). Great Va flavor, slight grassiness, rich base notes, mildly sweet & cool. Has aged superbly & has absolutely no bite. Delightful. Update: 12/20/13. I had jarred this & lost track of it 'til now. The tin was actually marked '03, so I was off on the age. Upon opening the tin had almost no humectant odor, but now it is absolutely the smoothest, coolest Va I have had. Still moist, it took 2 lights & then cruised like a liner. Top third is creamy, sweet and mild in body. Second part grows in flavor to a near chocolate malted tang. Finish never bites and all those intertwining flavors meld to a cool dry end. Ten stars

Theodoric Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Theodoric (8)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Smoked an entire pipe straight out of a brand-new tin. Smells good, tastes good, smoked cool and dry right out of the tin. A high-quality light aromatic. Reminds me of Two Friends "Heritage" in flavor and how easy it is to smoke.

Jaybee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jaybee (76)

This is obviously a quality tobacco. Considerable drying time is required and there is very little bite. Although I enjoy a number of the McClelland virginias, there's something about this one that I just can't get my head around. It tastes like 5100 (I like 5100), it tastes like Dark Star (I like Dark Star), but somehow the combination of the 2 just doesn't work for me. The sweetness of the blend is too distracting for me. Still it's a quality product and worth a try....tastes being subjective.

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Wow! McClelland really hit a home run with this terrific blend. It is deep and rich in flavor, and for us long-time puffers the added wallop of nicotine was of particular delight. I can see, however, where the neophytes might swoon and drool if they don't keep down their puffing cadence!

Virginia Woods is reportedly a sister blend to Dark Star. But, I find no comparison at all. In addition to being a flake, Dark Star burned hot and juicy to me. Virginia Woods though, is cool, dry and chock full of thick, creamy smoke.

I have tasted many McClelland blends over the years, and this one ranks with the best. Give it a try!

mnadz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mnadz (35)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I am someone who typically finds straight Virginias to mild and tasteless..for instance, I bombed Blackwoods when everyone loves it. Saying all that, I actually found this one was pleasant and enjoyable to smoke. For an easy, all day smoke where I just want to sit in the yard and watch the world go by, I go do this tobacco. Also, coming from a heavy puffer, I experienced no tngue bite.

CoolPilot Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CoolPilot (64)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A spicey blend, with a sour taste, quite particular. Maybe too sour for my own preferences, but a nice smoking all the way. I would rate it 2 and a half stars..

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Wonderful and pleasant tobacco. Very light body in the mouth but full of flavor in the nose! Fruity, lightly sweet, lightly barbeque, lightly vinegar/sweet&sour. Suprisingly complex for such a mild blend. Behaves perfect. If you enjoy Orlik Golden or red virginia dominated blends, you will almost certainly like this. If you like latakia or stoved tobacco in your virginia blends, you will like this. If you only enjoy perique heavy virginia blends, this will probably not be your favorite. If you can't stand McClelland's standard 'topping', then you will not enjoy this. Fantastic recommendation as a first tobacco as well!

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (121)

Tin marked 07. The preservative smell is light and the tobacco is quite moist upon opening. Another variation on matured Virginia tobacco ribbon cut. A very good winter smoke, burns well from the newly opened tin. I will dry the tin for a few weeks to see how this works out.

Update After some drying, this tobacco delivers a nice flavor that is malty with some fig finishing. It is one smooth smoke that is not overly sweet. As for the woodsy aroma, I might be confusing it for the malty taste, of course I am a Latakia smoker as well so that would play tricks on my taste buds.

bluedog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bluedog (19)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

This is a nice smoke. I could see me buying more of it for the winter. I kind of taste the ketchup steak sauce taste lightly in the first half of the bowl. only get the slightest woods aroma every once in while. i have changed this from 3 to 4 stars. i have grown to really appreciate virginia woods

Puffingstuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puffingstuff (81)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

The tin I will rate is dated 06 on the bottom and it had turned almost brown from the smoke in my local tobaccnist's shop. I had tried Virginia Woods back in the late 1990's and was not to impressed, so I thought I would revisit the blend and see if my taste buds had changed.

Opening the tin I did not smell the McClelland humidfier scent that some refer to as a Kethcup smell. I have smelled it in many other McClelland blends, but not this one. The smell is of mown hay and mellowing slightly fermented Virginia leaf.

Lighting the blend was easy but it took a while to really get the taste going. After I let it settle down, the nice billowy smoke tasted of sweet murky Virginia and the nico was quite stimulating. Take it easy with this, don't rush it. This blend is delicious but I don't get the "woodys" aroma that is suppose to be there. Well done McClelland.

Trippwire Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Trippwire (58)
Mild None Detected Medium Tolerable

This is my first straight virgina, and I'm still not too sure about it. When I opened the tin I got the tomato sauce smell, and could taste it a little in the first few puffs. The strength of the tobacco builds the more I smoke it, the last bit is the best. I would describe this tobacco as high frequency, none of the earthy flavours here, just sweet and sharp. This could easily burn your toungue if you're not careful.

I'm not sure if its this tobacco, or virginias in general, but although its good quality, this one is not for me.

TK Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TK Pipe (101)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

Virginia woods … Yet another fantastic Va. Smoke from McClelland, the likes of which few others seem to be able to match. No anise, harshness or soap here, just smooth, satisfying slightly sweet Virginias. One of my all time favorites. Four stars for sure.

RyeWhiskey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RyeWhiskey (43)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Very Pleasant

This is one of my favorites. When you open the tin, there is a very nice spicey type scent. Packing is easy, the tobacco was a bit damp out of the tin and it seems like it wouldn't stay lit but oddly enough it does. Tamping takes it to the bottom nicely, but for me it usually takes a one time stir to finish the rest. The room note lingers, and does indeed remind me of the some forgotten woods somewhere. It has a sweetness on the tongue and the tobacco taste is in the medium range compared to my stronger blends. I didn't get any tongue bite from the pipe and I puff in a fairly quick pace since I like a large amount of smoke wafting about. I could literally smoke Virginia Woods all day.

Thwarp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Thwarp (16)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Opening the tin took me back to younger days as a child around Thanksgiving or Christams time when homemade Minced meat pies were comming out of the oven. A tad bit of sweet & spicey and the tang of currant raisins , fruit and all those wonderful things they put in that pie came out of this tin and into my nose without McClelland intetntion to do so.

As you can imagine that Minced meat is a very complex old fashioned pie so this smoke may seem complex but its not. Its sweet and mildly acidic (when compared to the acid of #27) at the same time and the two blend very well together to become one. Then theirs this nice mellow smokey quality to it that wraps this well bodied toby up nicely.

Its definately worth trying to see if its for you.

Denevei Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Denevei (58)

Upon opening a tin of this, you immediately notice the typical McClelland acetic acid smell. As I've often said, don't let it sway you! This tobacco is worth the time to smoke! Virginia Woods is a ribbon-cut darker blend of stoved Virginia, red Virginia, and bright Virginia tobaccos. There may be some sort of slight topping to it, because it is so sweet a smoke, though I can't say for certain. I think it is a good tobacco to introduce the pleasures of Virginias to an aromatic smoker.

Like a lot of Virginias, Virginia Woods is a little shy. But with patience, the real nuances and undertones of the flavor will come through after a few minutes. Puff gently, because it also can probably bite, as most any Virginia is likely to do. The tobacco lights easily, but the charring light will only act as that – to char the surface so that after a tamping the second match will really ignite the tobaccos. The burn is relatively clean, though I found I need a pipe cleaner a couple of times during a bowl. The further you smoke, the sweeter the flavor.

The tobacco is a good one to DGT, and upon relight the flavor comes through rich and dark. There's a good hint of the spiciness of Dark Star or 2035 here, but also the creamy smoothness of lighter Virginia tobaccos.

Overall, this is a nice, mild smoke for a Virginia, with the good sweetness typical of the variety. I don't keep it around all of the time, but if in a tobacco shop and I spot a tin I'm likely to buy it.

HappyOne Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HappyOne (9)

I wasn't sure what to expect with this one. It seems to occupy an area between a really nice aromatic and a high quality VA. It displays qualities of both but neither overpowers the other. Pleasantly balanced. I think I will buy some to lay down for a few years to see how it changes.

Well, this will be a review of two Virginia Woods! Why you ask, well because I came into a can of this from 1998 and to be fair in reviewing it, i also bought a can of fresh VW. It has to be two because with 13 years of age on it, this blend matures into a sweet mana that will just melt onto your taste buds. Wonderful stuff it is. But in smoking a new tin, it is still a great, non biting, smooth and creamy Va smoke with a touch of the woodsy aroma claimed on the can. So many other reviews of this blend they are calling it an aromatic, but I don't get that at all. What i get is the ketchup/vinegar typical of this brand and maybe, just maybe a sweet topping I can't place, but no more than a lot of other VA tobaccos, with only a few exceptions, all of them are cased.

This tobacco has the MC aroma upon opening the tin, perhaps stronger than a lot of them. The tobacco is a wide ribbon cut in a reddish dark mix and it is somewhat moist. Even my tin of 13 year old is still moist. After letting it dry a few hours set out, I packed it into my pipe which it does easily, and lit it up. It took several tries to get it lit, but once lit it stayed that way only requiring one relight until the bottom of my pipe. It smokes nice and slow and smooth with no bite, and the taste is a sweet dark VA flavor with a pretty nice room note. It burns clean all the way down to a fine grey ash with almost no dottle at the bowls bottom. I find this to be a very pleasant smoke fresh, but aged, it really is fantastic. I am going to buy some more and put it into long term storage in my cellar. I highly recommend this aged, and still recommend it fresh as it's a very nice smoke.

Chatsworth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Chatsworth (52)
Mild None Detected Mild Very Pleasant

I have a 2007 tin that had been opened a month. Let some dry out on a napkin for 3 hours. This is very tasty stuff. I loved this. Very good smell, lots of smoke, totally dry, no gurgles, no ash left in bowl. What a clean smoke ! This just vaulted into my top 3 favorites.

Davetopay Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Davetopay (42)

Good stuff. Just not what I had hoped for. I wasn't expecting this nougat/maple/caramel candy coating. It reminded me of that Benjamin Hartwell Evening Stroll that Altadis makes, but with MUCH better tobacco to hold up the casing/flavoring. It smokes reasonably cool for a mostly VA ribbon cut blend, the VA notes are in there, just WAAAAYYYY down in there. The sweet spot for me has been just past the halfway point in the bowl. I am not going to swap it away, but I don't know if I'll seek it out again. Spring may just be the wrong time of year for me to smoke this as the flavor package makes me think of cooler weather. I will continue to revisit this as curiosity warrants and see what develops. I would certainly tell all the aromatic lovers who are looking for a more tobacco-y experience to check this out.

...for reference, this was a tin dated 2007. Your results may vary.

Alguhan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alguhan (140)

A very tasty tobacco as I expected from McClelland's Virginia blends. It has a natural sweet-sour (spicy?) tobacco flavor.

I chared it and results were great. Burns very well, slow and cool. Smokes dry with a nice flavor balance. It is fruity tasty on the tongue and you can detect also the deep flavor of the stoved Virginia.

Even if it has a long lasting smoke, which I like to enjoy a lot, my nicotine needs weren't satisfied. But no problem, I'll prepare another bowl with this sweet cookie quickly!

An all day creamy smoke for me. I warmly recommend it for those who like enjoying natural tobacco flavor.

DeadMensPipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DeadMensPipes (38)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The appearance of Virginia Woods in the tin, and the tin note, reminded me of the blend, "Reserve 1928," which is private-label produced by McClelland for the Tinder Box stores (and retails for slightly less). The leaf and cut appear to be identical. I cannot quite describe what the scent is (caramel-like?), but it is very unique and not as pronounced in Virginia Woods as in 1928, but I'll bet it is the identical chemical, cure, or topping. And, it comes through in the smoke as well. You can still taste it in your mouth the next day, although it is a pleasant aftertaste.

Although Virginia Woods does not require more than minimal relighting, the blend out of the tin is decidedly too moist. It starts out tasting sweet. No bite. But then started burning hot, and even when I was not puffing, the stuff made a "snap, crackle, pop" hissing sound in the bowl. I never was able to smoke it all the way to the end, as the last fifth of the bowl was soggy - not the fine grey ash associated with typical gourmet English blends.

The batch of Virginia Woods I tried did not have that smooth, sweet taste I have enjoyed from other English blends, which I attribute to whatever flavoring or aroma has been infused in the curing process. It's not bad, mind you, just not the greatest. It's an okay smoke - way better than any drugstore blend. But, I would not go out of my way to order some again. Two-stars.

UPDATE 04/09/2010: Put the snap-on plastic lid on the tin and let it sit for a few months on a bookshelf. The contents dried out a little. It made a big difference. Smokes much better. Whatever flavoring was added seemed to have disappeared. Mostly just tobacco taste/aroma. 06/09/2011: Sat in the tin for another year. Smoked clean, cool and dry to the bottom of the bowl. Not bad at all. I have to agree with Bob Smith: "It ages wonderfully." Very good with a cup of coffee. I might actually buy another tin if the price is right. Bump to three stars.

Coskun Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Coskun (23)

McClelland do it again...This is very good stuff...I ve smoked with my Porsche Design pipe then use several different pipes...I like this blend...

Ketchup is always around (not like blackwoods)...Moisture perfect for me...Easy to pack and lit...

Creamy taste and cool smoke...No bite ofcourse...Nicotine level is low...Smoke slowly and feel light Virginia sweetness...

bigjonburley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bigjonburley (64)
Mild Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

I have to change alot about what I had originally posted concerning this blend. Although I do believe it contains alot of the same red va in 5100, this blend has little in common with it. My taste buds let me down on my original reviewe. There is a very sweet and artificial element that abounds in this blend. Its not really my thing, way to aromatic. extremely high sugar content. almost desert like in nature.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

VA woods strikes me as being very similar to 5100 by McClelland. Although it is an exceptional concoction, I actually prefer 5100. Moisture content is very high. There was no shortage of PG in this smoke, as well. Rich nutty textures abound from this blend. Very pleasing and mild, when exhaled through the nose. This blend requires a fair amount of relights, when not dried in advance. This tobacco will certainly age well and I have several tins in the cellar. I really refined mixture.

SmokeKing David Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeKing David (115)

QMechanics hit the nail on the head with his review; this tobacco is sublime, sweet, complex, and it holds its flavor all the way through the bowl. A notable Virginia from the blenders who excel in this leaf.

I plan on buying a few extra tins to age, in the hopes that a great smoke somehow becomes greater still.

Govern Yourself Accordingly,

SmokeKing David

Very Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

This blend is unique by its class, one can not compare it to any other aromatic blend.

If you are looking for an aromatic blend that enhance and give 100% of the virginia tobacco flavor, this is the one.

The taste is perfectly reviewed by DrDNA Below.

qmechanics Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
qmechanics (7)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

This is a good Virginia like blend for those who are making the change from typical aromatics. It is sweet similar to Virginia blends. The tobacco's bite is manageable, does not burn quite as hot as some Virginia blends I have tried ,and has a pleasant smell. I found this to be a nice smoke to go back to now and again.

The sweet flavor is richer and more complex than I expected. It is worth a try . If it is not for you try putting it aside for a while. The tobacco will mature as you do.

Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

This tobacco is great for a late fall day. It has the aroma of smoke and woodiness without having the overwhelming taste of latakia. I wish that the blend did not have that ketchup smell when opening the tin. A day or so on a newspaper takes care of it. You do have to be a bit careful when smoking it can get a bit hot. The tobacco does have a bit of sweetness to it and does blend well with MacBaren Honey and Chocolate.

miracleman83 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
miracleman83 (13)
Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

I was more disappointed in this blend than any other I can think of. It has a wonderful name, description and label.

It tasted like it had a strange topping. I could not put my finger on it.

For a lightly aromatic english, go with Deep Hollow.

tonyg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tonyg (103)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

Not only does Virginia Woods have a woodsy aroma as described by the blender, it has woodsy taste as well. In fact the flavor of VW is unlike anything else by McClelland, or for that matter, of any other blender.

The tobacco in unlike any other aromatics I have smoked. I'm not really a fan of aromatics and picked up a can on a whim since I'm very impressed with many of McClelland's blends.

This is one of only 3 aromatics in my rotation.

Even if you are not inclined towards aromatics, you might want to give this one a try.

----

For whatever it's worth, the stoved Black Virginia in this blend may well be McClelland's 2035 (which on it's own is an exceptionally fine blend).

UPDATE 8/19/07 As my tastes are moving away from aromatics almost entirely, I need to downgrade this one to two stars. Add one or even two stars if you are really into aromatics.

dogsplayinpoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dogsplayinpoker (6)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

I was born with a green apple now'or'later on my mouth, so I LOVE the sourness of the lemon va's in this blend. This blend literally makes my mouth water when I think about smoking it. Goes well with a pale ale or mixed drink. This blend is a good summer smoke. I try to let this air out for awhile.

JazzSmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JazzSmoke (37)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I found a 50g tin of this which was six years old. The tin aroma was a strange combination of the McCleland's acidic additive and a vanilla (or some aromatic sweetner) casing. Bizarre, I think. Sweet and sour additives? None of these "flavorings" are mentioned on the tin, which leads one to believe that this is a natural virginia blend, which it is not.

The room note is that of a mildly sweetened aromatic. It would be nice for the non-smoking crowd.

A good quality tobacco with a mild taste and nice burning qualities, but I don't like sweetend aromatics and wouldn't have purchased it had I known what it was. After smoking my third bowl of this, I tossed it in the trash because I simply had no use for it.

If you like aromatics, this might be a good choice.

Hemlock Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hemlock (57)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

Let me preface this by stating that my review is based on a sample of an 1/4 oz, so about 4 bowls. I found this to be not a straight viginia by any means. Almost seems like a crossover blend, and it didn't have the typical McClelland tang in my sample. Nice smoke, fragrant, burns well and has a real woodsy flavour, without the rich cigarette-like aroma that some VA blends can have if not done well. I don't know if this has casing or not, but it sure tastes like does. I would almost say that I sensed an incense-like flavour. A dash of myrrh maybe? For those who like non-aromatics, it sure is worth a try. Would I buy a tin after the sample I had? Sure. Does it stand out in the world of great blends? Not really. Note I must recommend that this be smoked in a larger bowl to get the best out of it.

Cactus John Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cactus John (34)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

This is a very good tobacco. Very similar to Deep Hollow but much better. A little sweeter and a little nuttier flavor. Burns a little better too. I'm anxious to see what it is like with some age on it. This is one I'm going to keep around.

Ian Weeks Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ian Weeks (36)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I don't like this blend as I do all of the other McClelland VA's that I have gotten to know. It has the usual McClelland Catsup tin note- the ribbons are beautiful, easy to pack, and keep lit, and though the first third of the bowl is enjoyable enough I did find that this blend gives off too much moisture for me. In fact- and MUCH to my surprise- the bottom of the bowl of my pipe was wet???? I'm not a wet smoker, and I do not over heat my pipes; what causes this? Could it be a casing or a topping laid with a heavy hand?

This came as a surprise to me as this blend is the only blend by McClelland that I have had such an experience- and it wasn't from just one bowl, I smoked several different bowls of this blend in several different pipes.

There are many of my counterparts that would disagree with my recommendation for this blend, I hope they excuse me, however it is not for me- but try it and see what it does for you.

Devonshire Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Devonshire (47)

I recently opened a tin of this that had been cellared for 3 years. I was expecting something similar to Hal o' the Wynd, but was suprised and pleased. This tobacco doesn't have the sweet taste that I normally associate with matured Virginias, but rather a deep, layered flavour. I didn't see any stems in the blend as mentioned in a review below, but it does smoke hot, hotter than most VA blends I have encountered.

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)

If you like matured Virginias and other of McClelland?s matured VA blends, you will probably enjoy Virginia Woods. This is a nice mild to medium smoke that is sweet and flavorful in the classic VA sense. It has excellent burning qualities although you may want to air it out a bit. I experienced no bite. In short, I found Virginia Woods to be an ?easy smoke? that will satisfy without having to give it undue attention. I especially enjoyed it when DGT?ed overnight.

A cigarette is to be smoked. A cigar is to be enjoyed. A pipe is to be savored.

I rate this tobacco 9.5 out of 10.

Mild None Detected Very Mild Tolerable

A beautiful name for a tobacco. Nice label.

My tin is three years old. Upon opening I detect only the faintest trace of the infamous McClelland aroma.

The moisture level is perfect. Packs great. Lights very easily, producing voluminous clouds of pale grey smoke. There is a citrus like tang to the aroma. The smoke has very little body. The flavor is grassy, dry, and bright, with hints of lemon. The flavor is quite thin. The smoke is very consistent. The blend burns cool and dry.

I could see this as a blend to puff on while reading, or otherwise distracted, or perhaps as a warm weather smoke for those who don't like burley. Nothing here to bring me back.

DrDNA Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDNA (58)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant

Notes: I have smoked quite a bit of this now, and I must admit it suits my personal tastes, although I try to write reviews that are objective. I can't stop smoking this one, though! I find it best in a tall thin chimney briar. Amazingly, it didn't burn my tongue, either, and I always get bit by Virginias.

Appearance: Reddish brown wide cut ribbon mostly; with brown, black and a few golden strands completing the mixture. Fully rubbed out.

Aroma: Strong smell of concentrated tomato paste, white vinegar, brown sugar, dried figs, pencil eraser.

Taste: Walnuts, brown sugar, sweet-sour Virginia tobacco flavor, nutty, oily deep flavor (from the stoved leaf), heavy on the tongue, juicy with flavor (i.e., tasty; it was a dry smoke). Well-composed; good flavor balance from to to bottom. Not over the top at all.

Comparisons: Some richer blends can be a bit much, but not this one. McClelland here is aphrodisiacal, in contrast to GL Pease's concupiscent blends. Not as nutty as Samuel Gawith's flakes, even a hair less nutty than the well-balanced Dunhill Light Flake. A hair less naturally sweet than Rattray's Marlin Flake. It comes across as a magnified, slightly sweeter Dunhill Light Flake with a helping of stoved leaf mixed in. Take just that stoved leaf alone, and you would have McClelland's Dark Star.

Bottom Line: For those who are seeking a natural Virginia blend that is in the middle of the nutty-sweet spectrum with a backbone of stoved leaf to provide fullness, this may be your blend.

Mild Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

If you are an Aromatic fan, add one star. Not one I liked much. Good topping flavor, just a bit too much. Quite similar to Mellow Mack and that type. Not what I expected from something with the word Virginia in the title. Will smoke some more when the summer heat subsides.

Cobnut Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cobnut (8)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

A really good virdinia tobacco .I buy a tin of this every time I put a tobacco order in .A wonderfull aroma in the tin and a nice looking quality tobacco .It lites and stays lit with ease A rich natuaral flavour with no bite ,this is a tobacco I can smoke all day and never tire of

Inquisitor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Inquisitor (155)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

As a McClelland Virginia lover, I expected this to be wonderful. BIG disappointment. I found this to have a cigarette-like quality, with a cloying, almost-MacBarenish note that gave me a headache and made me vaguely nauseated. Well, guess I'll just have to be satisfied with the other 8 Mc VAs that I love!

With the exception of the flavors mentioned above, this has very little flavor. There is a winey note that doesn't go away, and while it could potentially meld well with other stronger flavors, here it just stands alone.

The Keeper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Keeper (112)

I have been blessed with a 10 year aged sample of this weed. It makes for a truly smooth, quiet and "woodsy" smoke. Perhaps due to age, this comes off as being one of the nicest straight VA smoke experiences I have had. There is sweet and sour notes through the entire first 3rd of the bowl. After that the tobacco flavor kicks up and a hint of spice (very perique like) enters the smoke. At points I agree with those who list this blend as mildly topped, at other points I think I am tasting just the trademark McClelland aging process. By the end of the bowl a bit of refinement is lost and the taste is very cigar like - musky woodsy and spicey. While I still rarely reach for straight VA tobacco - this one is certainly at the top of the heap.

Jakob Kiilerich Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jakob Kiilerich (118)
Mild Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This my first blend in the McClelland line, and I must say I am disappointed. For a Dane like me, the vinegar smell is very strange, and something I do not fancy at all. The tobacco is beautiful in the tin, but there are so many stems in it. I had to go through the whole tin and remove them.

As Eulenburg said, the moisture-level (artificial I believe) is too high, and even when dried out, this tobacco is almost incendiary. There is some weird topping added; very discreet, and very foul. I am sure this does not go for all McClellands blends, and it has not scared me from trying more of them. The leaf is of very high quality, but it burns like a sunny day in hell. Nicotine content is too low for me also.

Jakob Kiilerich, Denmark

Danno Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Danno (87)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Seductive, this. A friend passed a tin over to me which had been coagulating for six years or better, a gift of rare proportions. Tin aroma is muted but still retains the tendrills of well prepared virginias. Initial flavor is VERY subtle, you will not taste any of the nuances if you've smoked an English prior to. Around bowl three, likely due to palate and pipe adjustments, revelations slink in. Now the true depth and mysteriously velvet-like flavors begin to show up. I found that this smoke did not lend itself well to enthused puffing, as it will bite but of greater import, the dynamics disappear when coerced instead of beseeched. I am not a patient man by virtue and have left many mild and subtle tabaks in my wake, abandoned in the quest for more forceful experiences, hence my suprise at enjoying this offering, it being exceptionally mild and deviously subtle. Those who crave an experience when smoking, one requiring total devotion to briar and technique would do well to have a go here.

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (79)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

Update a decade later. Today is 5/24/2014 and I opened another aged tin I had and it was delightful. This blend really needs 3 or more years to age to really develop. Now the interesting thing is I purchased some McClelland blending Perique and mixed a small pinch with a bowl worth of Virginia Woods, wow what a Virginia Perique blend!! This really shines when mixed with some spice as the Perique makes the sweetness of the Virginia explode! So two stars when new, three with 5 years of age or a pinch of Perique.

Had to change my rating, its 9/1/2004 and i do not have any aged tins left. The new tins are not as great and have much more moisture and along with that more tongue bite. I will smoke it if offered, but most likely will not purchase another.

Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Like the Mc C Aromatics in appearance (same ribbon cut and colors), but without the sticky casing. There is some typical Cavendish sweetness in the nice alternance of sour and candy sweet (in a monodimensional way). Sometimes a bit boring and not on a par with the best virginias from this brand, but good.

DUPE.629 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

June 2004. Virginia Woods. I have just opened an aged tin of V/Woods and I feel compelled to say the ageing process is remarable.Very little ketchup smell at all with this aged tin. What a diiference age makes to this tobacco,not a sign of a bite,very smooth and absolutely delicious. I'm far more impressed now,than even in my first review.Thumbs-up. 8 out of 10.

chaplikc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chaplikc (135)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

This is a good virginia blend that does not realy stand out to me but does not realy lack in a bad way either. I feel it is a good middle of the road virginia blend. I will say that this does get alot better with aging. Worth a try.

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Strong

This is another foray into the unchartered territory of Virginia blends for me and I have to say that this is another pleasant surprise. Upon opening the tin, yes there is that famous "catsup" odor which I find pleasant. Medium to long red, lemon, and brown leaf abounds. packing is easy, lighting is easy. The name "Virgina Woods" is appropiate because that is exactly what I think of when smoking this blend. It is deliciously woodsy with those sweet virginia undertones. All in all this is a good medium to full strength blend that you can smoke all day. I did find that it works better for me in smaller pipes. Enjoy... 4 out of 5 points.

SFC/E7 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SFC/E7 (93)

Not a bad tobacco, the tin aroma is the usual McClelland aroma, the cut is rather coarse with some stem.

I found when packing the pipe I had to remove some of the tree limbs, other than that it packed very well. The tobacco was not too hard to lite which did surprize me it was such a coarse cut of tobacco.

This was not a harsh tongue biting tobacco and somked very smoothly. I dected no wheezing or gurgling and the tobacco did take on a sweetness as it neared the bottom of the bowl.

This will join my occasional tobacco shelf.

Smoke it slow, enjoy it longer

Darwin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darwin (101)

It's both smooth and rich as stated in the decription. I enjoy the flavor and aroma. Virginia Woods tastes a little like 5100, but I taste a stoved VA as well. There is a another tobacco besides VA in this blend, maybe an unflavored cavendish. Whatever it is, it's a nice touch. There is lots of high sugar content VA present, but it doesn't burn the tongue; that might be due to the cavendish.

I recommend this blend, but I also recommend that you let it dry quite a bit before smoking. For some reason, Virginia Woods comes loaded with PG. I pour out all of the 100g tin on a magazine and let it dry for 36 hours. After that, it's really a nice blend.

Gae Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gae (46)

Virginia Woods is one of the nicest tobacco's I have tried.It light's easily & behave's very well. Plenty of Virginia flavour in varying degree's,& strength.But 'never' overpowering at all. The virginia's are mixed well,offering a good all round taste, that stop's it from being dull & boring,that make's for a very pleasant change. The flavour's were consistant right to the bottom of the bowl.I didn't detect any tongue bite at all,even when I puffed a little faster.I could smoke this very easily all day.Very Pleasant! Highly recomend Four & half star's out of Five,in it's class.

Briarabbit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Briarabbit (116)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The name is so right, because the tobacco is comprised of so many stems I nearly sent it back to the manufactuer to ask,"what the hell". I mean really, its like somebody sat down to strip the leaves and put the stems in this can. The tobacco that is present here is ribbon red virginia,and maybe some burley there too.It does have some broken black stoved cake Va also. The taste (if you can find one) is bland and you'll burn your tounge so bad you'll be looking for the number to the Shriner's burn center in Galveston,Texas!

tillmanj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tillmanj (73)

Tin Aroma: Vinegar, ketchup, whatever you call it, this is most definately a McClelland blend.

Physical Characteristics: dark brown ribbon cut, mottled with some blackish ribbon, and very moist. It has always amazed me how long a McClelland ribbon will keep moisture. However, it is easy to fill and pack with, and it takes the charring light well.

Notes: I like to char this one, and then let it sit for a while to dry out a tad more before smoking. I suppose that means that almost every bowl I have smoked of this has been DGT'd to some extent. I do love the 'burnt marshmallow' aroma that this blend gives off. Very thick smoke, good for coloring a meerschaum, if you are the type to blow smoke at the pipe while smoking. The flavors become darker and richer as the bowl progresses. This blend tends to start off a bit spicy and disjointed, but by the midway point, it has settled down into a very nice rich smoke. The flavor/aroma I am most reminded of by this blend is caramel, burnt caramel.

farndog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
farndog (22)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

When I open a tin of Virginia Woods it strikes me as being very similar to McClellands Blackwoods Flake in smell. Virginia Woods is finely cut into ribbons that pack easily into all but the smallest pipes. It is hard to tell if there is any topping on this tobacco. My opinion leans towards there not being a topping because of its simularities to Blackwoods Flake and Dark Star - just good stoved Virginia tobaccos. Virginia Woods burns clean after easily lighting. The flavour is red and stoved Virginias. This tobacco could almost be called a crossover blend - a nice change for those accustomed to aromatic tobaccos.

BobT Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BobT (3)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Tin aroma is light and slightly sweet, and flavor is much the same when lit. Smoke it slowly and there's plenty of that light Virginia sweetness. Try to hurry it and it'll scald your tounge. Overall, a nice mild smoke.