An inspired British mixture of Virginia and Macedonian tobaccos, imported from England, naturally.

BrandTinder Box
Blended ByTinderbox
ContentsOriental/Turkish, Virginia
CountryUnknown
Strength
Mild, Medium
None Detected, Extremely Mild
Taste
Tolerable, Tolerable to Strong
BigNick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigNick (52)
Mild None Detected Medium Tolerable

I bought it for the name alone...then I found out I really really like it. In the glass jar/bag it smells like a lat heavy blend. I've never really engaged with Macedonian leaf before and it wasn't as spicy as other orientals I have smoked, so I really only picked up that woodsy body. Packs loose, fine ribbon cut, I dried out for roughly an hour, it was perfect.

I initially picked up a campfire and woodsy like smell. As I sipped it and it's mellow characteristics took over. It wasn't so heavy with the woodsy taste, it was a main feature for sure, but it carefully balanced with the VA's. The Virginias work with the Macedonian leaf beautifully. Definite hay like, sweetness makes itself present. Unlike a Va/Per or Va/Bur the orientals/Turkish will dominate it for a bit. I find it to be a tug of war of flavors instead of them blending together. I don't think that this is bad, it's really a nice mix of back and forth. Sweet and smokey, it's nice and mild.

It burns for a decent while, I get a touch of dottle at the end. It burns to a dark grey clumpy ash. Roomnote is take it or leave it. People around me didn't like it but they didn't complain.

It pairs well with a citrusy lager, or a rum cocktail, I enjoyed it with a Cuba Libre.

All in all, I highly recommend.

Pipe Used: Falcon, MM Cob, Savinelli ASH

Age When Smoked: N/A

Purchased From: Tinderbox, Palm Springs CA

Similar Blends: Dunhill - My Mixture 965.

Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong

The Oriental/Turkish in the description is actually Macedonian leaf, and it has a nice spice and wood flavor to add some strength and mild complexity to the brown Virginia. A little smokey, woodsy, with hints of straw and hay, and minimal sweetness, and consistent flavor to the end with very little harshness. As with most Tinderbox offerings, it burns well and is more of a sipping blend. A nice change from latakia dominant English blends.