An inspired British mixture of Virginia and Macedonian tobaccos, imported from England, naturally.

BrandTinder Box
Blended ByTinderbox
ContentsOriental/Turkish, Virginia
Mild, Medium, Medium to Strong
Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

The Oriental/Turkish in the description is actually Macedonian leaf, and it has a nice spice and dry, smokey woodiness to add some strength and mild complexity to the grassy, hay-like, lightly earthy, dark and citrus fruity brown Virginia. The Virginia has minimal sweetness. Has a mild to medium nic-hit. Burns cool and clean at a moderate rate with a consistent flavor to the end with very little harshness, and no bite, though I do recommend a sipping pace. Leaves a little moisture in the bowl, and requires an average number of relights. Has a lingering after taste. Not an all day smoke.

BigNick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigNick (58)
Mild None Detected Medium Tolerable

I bought it for the name alone...then I found out I really really like it. In the glass jar/bag it smells like a lat heavy blend. I've never really engaged with Macedonian leaf before and it wasn't as spicy as other orientals I have smoked, so I really only picked up that woodsy body. Packs loose, fine ribbon cut, I dried out for roughly an hour, it was perfect.

I initially picked up a campfire and woodsy like smell. As I sipped it and it's mellow characteristics took over. It wasn't so heavy with the woodsy taste, it was a main feature for sure, but it carefully balanced with the VA's. The Virginias work with the Macedonian leaf beautifully. Definite hay like, sweetness makes itself present. Unlike a Va/Per or Va/Bur the orientals/Turkish will dominate it for a bit. I find it to be a tug of war of flavors instead of them blending together. I don't think that this is bad, it's really a nice mix of back and forth. Sweet and smokey, it's nice and mild.

It burns for a decent while, I get a touch of dottle at the end. It burns to a dark grey clumpy ash. Roomnote is take it or leave it. People around me didn't like it but they didn't complain.

It pairs well with a citrusy lager, or a rum cocktail, I enjoyed it with a Cuba Libre.

All in all, I highly recommend.

Pipe Used: Falcon, MM Cob, Savinelli ASH

Age When Smoked: N/A

Purchased From: Tinderbox, Palm Springs CA

Similar Blends: Dunhill - My Mixture 965.

Kribbage Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kribbage (32)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

For all the mediocre tobaccos Tinder Box puts out, their Latakia blends are quite good. This mix is a taste explosion, with different tobaccos taking the fore at different times. In my opinion it is not a Lat-bomb, which is why I liked it, but you definitely know Latakia is a major player. The Orientals were used with care, but present without dominating. For me, not a lot of hay-like taste, and that is another reason for my favorable review. Let me go on record by saying my idea of a strong tobacco is based on the amount of Latakia put into it, so others will probably disagree with my ratings.I guess I liked it!