An excellent all day, indoor smoke. This beautiful Orange-red, shag cut cake has a mellow flavor and a light subtle aroma.

Blended ByMcClelland Tobacco Company
Packaging50g Tin, 100g Tin
Iwan Ries
Strength
Taste

3.2
al1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
al1 (58)

At first I was afraid this was a mistake messing with this blend. That is until I took the advice of some other reviewers and gave it a fair chance. What can be a very bitey bitter experience if packed too tight and smoked too fast can in contrast be a very enjoyable experience when done right.

I have found I like to rub it out mostly if not completely and dry, then pack lightly. This seems to be key as fine as the cut is. The flavor builds very discretely but hits high and sweet notes in a wonderful way. I will surely be smoking and ordering much more of this.

If you can be gentle and patient this is wonderful and highly reccomended. However if you are a power puffer this surely is not for you.

I have had moments with this blend I'll never forget. Even though this does the typical virginia dry tongue thing it is the only va ever to make my mouth truly water. Love this stuff.

I really do think anyone who tries this or any other mclelland va should be told the most important thing is to dry this down almost all the way but not quite completely before attempting to smoke. I spread it out on a plate for a few hours rubbed out and this gets me a super high quality smoke. Some folks open the tin for a long time, that works too but if you get some and want to smoke sooner try the plate it works great. I like to rub the whole tin at once and put it back in after drying so it is ready to go when I want a smoke. The tin keeps it right for months like that but one never lasts that long anyhow.

This is true with all the va's mclelland makes in this series. Ever seen what green wood does to a chimney with the soot produced by all the moisture? Same basic principle works with pipe tobacco. That moisture in your smoke if not dried out = steam = burnt tongue and bad taste + black stuff all in your nose and stains on your teeth.

Some people say they like this moist, I can't see how they get a good solid flavor like that honestly or smoke the bowl down to the bottom. But each to his own.

Update: 8/6/07 I have smoked a few more 100gram tins since my first review and this stuff is just wonderful. I am going to buy this regularly and age it. I can't imagine how good that will make it. I'm talking try to let some go for at least 3-5 years. This stuff is that good. Top shelf all the way. Highly enjoyed and reccomended. The shag cut makes this one smoke so good. Smokes good unrubbed too. That tones down the high notes I think to smoke it unrubbed. So good either way. Nice to smoke in wads on windy outdoor walks or rubbed indoors. Not a good tobacco to ignore while smoking as it will remind you quickly of why to not do that. Great when you can sit and pay it the attention it deserves. Not an all day smoke for me but it will be smoked regularly.

Second update: Had left this blend alone for the last year to allow my stash to age. tonight- 7/24/09 I do believe I have smoked the smoothest bowl of this ever. Two years turns these tins into something really special. I still have a few tins to let get older. I need start aging some more this has maximum potential. Very fine...

pipinNfishin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipinNfishin (21)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

This blend lacks nicotine; it tastes light; it burns cool. That are its positive qualities. I am smoking this blend frequently. I have held off on it. I thought, it would be just another virginia. It fits so well into my present life style so well.

My work does not allow me to smoke all day long. The nicotine in this blend is low, that I am getting a nicotine level that is just a little elevated. If I go without smoking all day, I do not get the jitters and mood swings.

This a great light sweet flavorful blend, when my palate is absolutely clean. Right now the other virginias are tasting dirty and burnt for me. This blend does not bite my tongue, because I can taste what I am smoking. I have already stocked up on this blend.

NapaWineLover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NapaWineLover (66)

This is a blend that leans toward the brights without any bites. Of course - one must remember they are smoking a VA and adjust accordingly - and this is a superior blend. The latest tin is from 1999 and it the additional age compared to a more recent tin - was quite evident. However - we're talking about great and greater ... not night and day.

I found myself rubbing out the newer versions completely, while with the aged tin I began by folding (or slightly clumping) flakes. In all cases - one char light - a tamp - and the next light carries the entire bowl. It is a wonderful trip and the zone is expanded from nearly beginning to end. A wonderful nutty VA with an underscore of subtle tang and reserved sweetness throughout the bowl. I can easily travel for a few days with only this as company and have no regrets - bowl after bowl.

Cheers, VC

Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

Updated review: 12/06...I recently cracked open a 22 year old tin of this delightful Virginia/Oriental broken flake. I cannot remember a time I had more fun smoking a tobacco. The tin top was actually puffed a bit and let out a gentle whooosh when the seal broke. The broken flake was extremely dark and the smell told me the leaf was richly fermented. The tobacco was almost totally dry, but retained just enough dampness to make it perfect for smoking. It burned clean and cool right down to the bottom of the bowl leaving nothing but ash. Just past mid bowl on my second smoke, I hit an otherworldly zone that I'll remember forever. This old 100 gram tin will not last long.

dprovons Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dprovons (11)

I have read many times of McClelland's signature 'ketchup' smell of their virginias. I have smoked several McClelland virginias and noticed a slight vinegar-like sour/sweet smell, but this is the first one that knocked me down with what is undeniably 'ketchup' smelling. I mean, you can't miss it... If you can get past that, though, this is a very good tobacco. I just finished a bowl of this excellent broken flake virginia and am just so impressed with it!

Unlike others here, I think I prefer not rubbing this out at all (I have tried it both ways several times). Maybe it burns slower that way...I'm not sure. Probably, I just don't like having to do anything extra to smoke something. I agree with others that is comes a little moist out of the tin, so I open it and let it sit a day or so with the lid off. Over the next couple weeks, it just gets better and better. I have only smoked unaged tins of this, but I can tell it will age wonderfully.

This tobacco has one drawback: it takes a healthy discipline of will to get the most out it. Why? Because it's so freakin' delicious, it makes you want to slurp it up (instead of sipping it slowly and civilly). If you slurp, you will torch your tongue. If you sip, you will get a wonderful raisin-sweet smoke that gets fuller and more complex as you move down the bowl (like all great virginias).

As far as being an "indoor smoke" and having a "light subtle aroma", my wife did not agree on either point. I still enjoy it--even though banished to the garage or outside with it. A very solid recommendation for all experienced lovers of virginias.

Ian Weeks Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ian Weeks (36)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Whooooaaaa Mamma! VA Number 27 is VA Number 25's hotter cousin.

There is a noticeable difference between these two blends. For one there is the matter of cut: #25 is a Ribbon cut and #27 is a ready rubbed Flake. But beyond that- the real nuts and bolts: VA Number 27 has a brighter taste; it has body and great flavor, particularly towards the last third of the bowl, but there lacks the depth and dark sweetness of VA Number 25 that I believe comes from the dark stoved component that permeates the blend.

I call this blend the "hotter" cousin not because she's easy on the eyes, but sharper on the tongue- I'm a careful smoker with regards to thermodynamics, but this blend, even a 5 year old tin can bite.

Still I'll take her out on walks with me out in the still air with hopes that she will reveal new secrets so that I can tell them to you!

Highly recommended to the intrepid explorer!

TattooGuy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TattooGuy (9)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Tolerable to Strong

Very good quality tobaccos. I don't seem to understand the McClelland's offerings. To me this one is very close to Virginia Woods but with a bit more present taste of tobacco. Not my cup of tea. 1.5 star.

TK Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TK Pipe (101)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

McC #27… I'll just bypass the tin aroma, as it's been described 7 ways to Sunday already. I have found McClelland (and C/D for that matter) Virginias to be among the finest available. Of course I may prefer one of their blends over another, but that's just my taste preference, not a quality issue.

Yet another Virginia blend, this one smooth and easy smoking, with a typical American taste signature, meaning no anise/licorice taste, just tobacco. As I like my tobacco a bit dryer than most, so I put a bowl full out for a few minutes under my desk lamp, which is all it took. A bit dryer now, I packed the bowl a with light tamp, lit up, and my test was under way. One word came to mind in the first few full puffs “gentle” gentle and tasty with some sweetness to be more precise. As the tin indicates, “an all day smoke”, if this is what they were trying to create, this stuff is a masterpiece, you could not ask for more. Completely bite free, gentle and never developed any harshness, sounds like an all day smoke to me, and a dang good one. Top quality Virginia tobacco, with a user friendly manner, what's not to like. This tin won't last long at my house, most is gone already. If this describes what you are looking for, look no future, for that person, 4 stars. My personal rating 4/5 due to its mildness.

This is a blend that hits all the high notes but eschews any deep, dark ones. Rubs out and loads easily. This is one I preferred a little on the moist side - more so than normal.

Very sweet tasting tobacco and seems to be a broken flake version of #5100 Red Cake. Light and subtle, this is one that needs to be smoked in stride, slowly, so as to bring out the subtleties. Overpuffing will not only result in tongue bite but it will erase any sweetness and flavor. This could be an all day smoke for some but I found it made me think too much and work too hard for flavor. I enjoyed smoking it but I prefer a few dark and toasty notes with my sweetness. Consequently, I much prefer their #24 brown label virginia or their Navy Cavendish.

Recommended if you like a nice soft sweet flavor and light body in your bowl. This might be a good one to smoke while reading a really attention-grabbing novel, as the tobacco won't detract from the reading experience. Incidentally, this tobacco SINGS when smoked with a dram of heavy bodied scotch such as Highland Park or Lagavulin.

SirLoirn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SirLoirn (126)
Medium to Strong Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Tin: Abundant, tangy, sweet, fragrant apricot/currant and bread aroma. Black-brown to medium brown striated with a small amount of blonde. Broken flake.

Incredibly soft and supple for a flake and has a clean feel to it.

Six-digit code on bottom: 272206, meaning product 27, batch 22 tinned in 2006.

Packing & Lighting: Very readily rubs out into small ribbons. One of the easiest to deal with flakes. The suppleness of No. 27 makes for a delight to pack. Unlike many flakes, this one can be, should be, moderately tightly packed. Right out of the tin, it does take a couple of matches to burn a small bowl.

Taste & Aroma: Top of bowl: Bland, No. 27 takes a little while for the flavor to develop and concentrate.

Mid bowl: This is where the soft, subtle taste becomes accentuated, a nice bread and fruit taste and aroma; from time to time, getting varying hints of orange peel, cinnamon or allspice, and bayleaf or clove.

Letting the tobacco dry for 30 minutes helps the flavor. Al1's comments on drying seem to make a difference, there being less moisture to compete with the subtle flavor.

Nicotine: At least medium

Room Note: About as pleasant as it gets for a VA-based blend.

Overall: No. 27 could be an all-day smoke, if you want a moderate amount of nicotine. I really like everything about it, but it's too lightweight in flavor. For this, No. 27 deserves 3 stars, but it is so easy to work with, it should get 4. I really wanted to give this 4 stars, but the taste and aroma are just too subtle.

Compare this to C&D Briar Fox, most any Wessex blend, or Orliks Golden Sliced. Some of the VA-based GLP Fog City Selections will satisfy a VA craving.

mo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mo (79)

I recently recieved a 4 year old tin from a good friend in the states. When cracking open the tin the smell that came from it was delightful. I have to say that the smell of McClellald tobaccos really annoys me, in this case it had settled down significantly and was most pleasant.

I find the taste to be very subtle. I honestly did not appreciate this tobacco until I sat quietly in my garage one night with a beautiful Design Berlin staight grain billiard, filled to the brim with this tobacco. The experience was wonderful. Slighly sweet, little savoury, nice volume of smoke, this is certainly not tiring as some blends can be and developes very discretely.

I only gave this blend 3 stars for 1 reason and that is that 4 year old tins are not freely available.

bent-1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bent-1 (32)

2004 Vintage: Ready to go right out of the tin. A bowl with a 3/4" - 13/16" ID works well. The red VA dominates and the orange VA provides a nice spice to the semi sweet taste. Minimal relights were necessary. Not pipe picky, does well in most of my VA pipes. Same consistent flavor throughout the entire bowl.

SMOKETSES Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SMOKETSES (208)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Red orange tobacco with a very nice honey ? not excessively - sweet flavor.

Tobacco is generally dry, but keeps enough of humidity in order to keep him perfect for smoking, right after opening the box. It burned clean and cool, till the lowest part of the bowl, leaving only a clear white ash.

It has, in my opinion, the smallest ?ketchuppy? flavor from all the other McClelland which I have tasted. Nice tobacco for all day.

Another tobacco which I would like to keep in a box, in my cellar, and smoke it after 1-2 years

Darwin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darwin (101)

06/10/04 McClelland #27 is one of the great Virginia flakes out there. It's a broken flake of light and dark brown Virginias. The tin aroma is, of course, the vinegar aroma that you will either love or hate. This is a pure VA tobacco with no topping or casing. The flakes come a little moist for me so I air the tin until it's to my liking.

A slow and steady draw will yield a sweet natural VA flavor, but if you puff too hard, you'll burn your tongue due to the high sugar content of the leaf. It doesn't have as much of the "citrusy" tang as say 2010, 2015, or #22, but the flavor is more rounded and sweeter, typical of a red Virginia. In fact, it's the sweetest natural tobacco that I smoke. While not terribly complex, the flavor is excellent all the way to the bottom of the bowl.

It also ages well. The tin I'm currently enjoying is 2 years old and I have many more tins in the cellar. Moreover, you have to try DGT with this blend; it will knock your socks off.

McClelland #27 is most similar to Wessex Brigade, in my opinion. They are both sweet and tasty VAs that taste as good or better (yes, definitely better) at the bottom of the bowl, as they do when you first light them.

08/30/09 Recently opened a tin from 2001 (8 year aged) and let it air for about a month. The broken flakes have darkened compared to the 2 year-old tin in my earlier review. The taste is full and rich, with excellent high notes. Boy, what a treat for a McClelland Virginia lover like me. A spectacular smoke in every way. I have quite a few more tins from 2001. I'll open another in a few years and gloat, I mean report back.

7formy1911 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
7formy1911 (36)
Mild None Detected Mild Very Pleasant

I must give this review a preface because I feel that it is necessary in understanding this tobacco. I am mainly a burley smoker and my preference is Cornell & Diehl as a rule. I rarely venture outside of this brand and type of leaf so to try this Virginia is atypical for me. Having said that there is one more caveat I'd like to add. I abstained from smoking my pipe for about a week (just a tad more) and this was the first leaf that I tried after this brief tobacco fast.

I cracked open a new tin, rubeb out a few flakes and stuffed them in my Dutch clay pipe. A few charring lights later I let my pipe sit for a bit just to get a quick drying out. Upon the true lighting I was rewarded with a nice sweetness followed by bright notes. This is where laying off the pipe for a while came in handy. I was able to enjoy this mild blend and savor the sweet and bright notes. If I had tried this after a steady diet of burleys or even English blends I would have given this Virginia one star since it would probably seem like steam and nothing else. The room note was quite sweet and almost non-existent. In fact my wife, who has a nose like a bloodhound, came into my man cave (the garage) and said nothing! She usually has a snarky comment about how much it stinks but not a word was said. I even told her I was smoking my pipe and she said she couldn't smell it at all.

Not being a Virginia fan I really think this is a great little flake and should be taken at face value. Read the tin description and that's exactly what you get. A very mild flake that is bright and sweet with a pleasant room note.

Pipe Used: Dutch Clay Pipe

Age When Smoked: 3 Years

Purchased From: www.smokingpipes.com

Bowl starts out sweet and tangy with a good touch of McVinegar and a lot of high notes. After about 1/4 bowl, the high notes fade and the darker flavors develop , more in the style of " Sammy's" "FVF". Less tangy, richer, but still a subtle sweetness. No real bite, but some spice and something that says , "This could be even better with a few more years of age" , ( although, tin indicted it was 2 years old). The last 1/4, you get the burnt marshmallow with some slight bitterness . All in all, I find this keeps my interest.

I feel the blend is much closer to an English style Virginia ( Samuel Gawith, FVF, Best Brown) vs. a MacBarens that says, grass, honey and hay. A word about the cut, it's a very fine delicate flake. I like to give it the minimum of rubbing, or you'll turn this to dust, allow it to dry for a half hour, and "ball and stuff" the loading. The tin description says," an all day, indoor smoke", I agree with that and can see where the fine cut would turn into a "blast furnace" with an outdoor breeze.

I can't disagree with any reviewers that give this 4 stars, but I like other Virginias just as much, at bulk prices and cuts I like better. So, this gets 3 stars

Pipe Used: clay, cob

Similar Blends: Samuel Gawith's Best Brown Flk..

Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

Just finisehed a 100g tin of this from 2006. The taste was incredible, but the only thing holding me back from a four star rating is that their are just too many others I choose to grab before this. This can only be for one reason and that comes down to nicotine content.

If you find the nicotine in this adequate for your needs then this would indeed be a four star blend.

Darth Vader Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth Vader (75)

Medium Va's tending to the lighter and brighter side of things. Good stuff and smoke, no fuss, medium nic tobac.

Katharsis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Katharsis (39)

I've gone back and forth with this one. At first, I wasn't such a big fan. It seemed a little too straightforward and bland. Now, near the end of my tin, I'm starting to like it a lot more. It IS straightforward, and I really like that about this blend. It's a typical McClelland VA -- sweet, smells like ketchup in the tin (but doesn't taste like ketchup thankfully), and good quality. If you're looking for a darker VA that's not as heavy as other dark VAs, this is the one to go to in my opinion. It could be an all- day smoke -- if you can smoke VAs all day, let alone McClelland VAs, without getting bitten. It's pretty good stuff and almost got a 4/4 from me. It may still in the future, we'll see.

One thing to add: I've noticed that DGT doesn't work too well with this VA. It's great right off the bat, and I think it's worse if you try DGT.

UncleGar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
UncleGar (108)
Mild Medium to Strong Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Well, I cannot speak to the "effervesant (sic) of the open tin" either. Not a clue what that translates to.

I've never encountered the tin-described "shag-cut cake" before, but I like it. It's a millimeter thick broken flake that instantly rubs out to, yes, shag. Don't pack tightly. It lights readily and is easily kept lit even when moderately moist.

It is certainly the most sourly pungent of any McClelland blend I've ever sniffed in the tin. It carries forth into the smoke. Presumably the top dressing is added to neutralize alkaline smoke, but geez! Perique normally serves this purpose; this blend has none. The result is a unique sweet/sour taste that I rather enjoyed. Once dried of the topping half way through the bowl, the taste goes away with little remaining. At that point it is vaguely ashy and bland. As such, I'd compare this blend to a cheap aromatic.

Many finer Virgina blends are available. Keep looking.

Thwarp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Thwarp (16)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Tolerable

Wow look at all these 4 star reviews on not one person commented on the effervesant of the open tin.

What nobody else has noted is this is no ordinary Virginia. Its a matured virginian as per McClellands own claim. My Tin was produce in 06 so its been aging for 5 years now. I'd say thats enuff time for a tobacco. We're not talking wine here. We're talking about a weed. Matured Virginias are typically acidic to a degree. This bland goes over that degree to the point of being rude about it.

Tin effervesant was wild. From what many have observed The Acidic tone is strong from the can and normal for this Brand Name. That being said I also took this tin to 3 other people to get the nose opions as well because I thought mine had failed me.

a total of 4 people agreed this aroma from the tin immediatly reminded them of old wet hay in a barn knowing full well they were' sampling a pipe tobacco. Add a bunch of animals peeing all over that hay and you add the acidic aroma to this element and you have a pretty accurate description of the tin aroma. It will come close to giving your nose a good tang!

Doesn't light up well so air it out for a few hours after rubbing it out. Then it lights fine and doesn't burn hot at all. In fact it burns very light and gives you a nice cool smoke. I wish a few of my fav's would burn this way so I wouldn't have to be so carefull with them.

The room note is tolerable at best. But not strong. It's intensity is a mild one. There's nothing pleasant about it but it's not terrable. In public you might get a few discouraging looks.

After getting half way through the bowl I dedected the acid taste from the tin. But its ever so slight enough and yet reminds you thats its there. You have to actually look for it.

ON the tongue the flavoring is deep and mellow and very very mild. Almost undiscernable at first and builds itself up to a mild range. It has a nutty burl feel to it and a mild smokey side as well.

There is no added casing or chemical toppings to this. The flavor comes from the curing process to the age of the cure. I swear they basted the toby in its own juices while the toasted the leaf. and pressed it into the cake and aged it. A byproduct of slow state of decomposition would be the acidic amonia event you'll find when opening the tin. Some refer to this aroma as beeing very vinegar like. Same thing. Its an acid produced from a cause in the curing process.

Take a small chunk and put it in yer mouth and there will be a flavor explosion that will tell you exactly what the mild version of the smoke will be like. Even if 50 percent of smell is taste then your in for a shocker. It tastes just like it smells.

And it tastes just like it came off the floor of the barn after 50 cows walked through it.

Having doubts I repeated this process. 3 days 3 bowls same results. Very dissapointing indeed.

My apollogies to fans of this. I'm sure you like it. I think you're being overly ecclectic though. McClelland can do better that this. They did in fact.

I cannot reccomend the Mature #27 at this time. Instead pass it up for whats in the tin marked Virginia Woods.

Note effervesant= tingles and tickles

TOGaPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TOGaPipe (5)

Very nice straight virginia. Fairly sweet, but not too much. Slightly bitey, but nothing major. This is one of my favorites! Definitely recommend to anyone who likes virginias. I do wish that it were a full flake though... might cut down the biting.

Red Rapparee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Red Rapparee (8)

Hello all, Red here. This is a very tasty, yet easily controlled straight VA that packs with little effort and burns cool with little or no bite. This tobacco has the slight bitterness of 'Essence of Orange Peel' with an ethereal woody character. To me, this is the benchmark for those looking for a naturally medium-sweet tobacco that is mild without being subdued. For those of you who are considering the jump into VAs this is an excellent middle of the road weed. Casings or toppings can never accomplish what this blend delivers a la Mother Nature. All day smoke. One of my favorites. Excellent.

Highly Recommended.

Dubinthedam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dubinthedam (133)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

a good VA blend, quite full flavored but mild in strength. Still too much vinegar though and not quite sweet enough.

CPT/VSG Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CPT/VSG (70)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The tin I just finished was from 2004 and had aged nicely. #27 is a broken flake, easy to keep lit, and without bite. The nicotine is not strong. The orange-red Virginians are pleasant and leave little after taste. In all, an agreeable straight Virginia tobacco; however, I find others, such as SG's FVF, to have more flavor over all. Still, a recommended smoke.

jwne Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jwne (9)

Virginia being my single most favorite pipe tobacco, I have absolutely enjoyed the two tins of #27 that I have been able to get. By itself, the taste and aroma are light but quite pleasing. No bite at all. A very dry smoke. I often add a small amount of cigar leaf and filler to my English/Latakia mixtures. I did the same for #27. You can detect a cigar note in the aroma when you do this but it isn't too potent. Flavorwise, you don't taste the cigar as you if you were smoking just a cigar; what you should taste is a creamy, buttery note in the background. The Virgina still cuts to the front. To me, this makes #27 even better.

Coskun Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Coskun (23)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

My tin is 2006 reserve...These days its realy standart for me, Ketchup smell! ...

Flakes are broken light,dark brown Va and tin almost dry. Perfect...Easy to fill and lit..

It burns great, cool and sweet...When its over only ash waiting for you..

I realy enjoy this stuff...McClelland do the best...

I was going to reserve the 2002 can I recently aquired, but curiosity got me as usual. It is a natural Virginia on the level of Gawith Full Virginia Flake, but with the McClelland "ketchup" smell in the tin! You don't taste the ketchup when you smoke it-it is mild and delicious. No bite at all. Can't detect any complex flavors here, just pure VA goodness. I'm going to enjoy this.

Sniper3 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sniper3 (26)

I've smoked quite a bit of this over the years. It has a great flavor. That said, it is not what I would call an easy smoke. It can be a bear to light without getting torched, and keeping it lit is also a problem. It is a real mouth burner if you are not REAL careful. The flavor is great - I'm just not sure it is worth the bother. There are many good virginias out there that are way less troublesome. I really don't care how it ages - let the blender age it. I would rather age some dollar bills in a Ball jar and buy a better tobacco that can be smoked today!

endubito Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
endubito (13)

If VA's are your thing then this might be one to try out. I write this review only because I finished the tin. So, a caveat to straight VA lovers, take my review with a bucket of salt. I hesitate to give my opinion but since I did finish the tin (on its own, no mixing), so I figure I've earned the right.

For me, this stuff was one-dimensional, bland, and sweet to the point of distraction. Every time I matched a bowl I was soon hoping it was over so I could load something I enjoyed. Crazy, I know. Why smoke something that doesn't agree with me? I guess I really, really wanted to like it... same as I wanted to like Dark Star; it just never happened.

I'll never smoke this again.

1 Star.

Grandpa Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Grandpa (1)
Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Just received my tin of #27!! Tin aroma is richly fermented,a good ritch tobacco flaver. Rub out the tin tobacco is moust,I'll let the tin air out. update to come. An Excellent Smoke,good stuff buy it!!!!!

wosbald Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wosbald (111)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

The tin aroma of these finely cut flake is typical McClelland VA: sweet, deep, fermenty, and composty.

This has a classic flavor of richly sweet McClelland matured VAs.

No. 27 excellent and companionable blend, this works best in narrow gauge chambers.

Johnny River Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Johnny River (17)

Upon opening the McClelland Virginia #27 100 gram can I was greeted with the sweet smell of aged tobacco. The reddish-brown shag cut cake had a rich All spice/Turkish Bayleaf aroma. For my tastes it had a perfect moisture content.

This tobacco will burn cool if you take the time, and you should, so that you enjoy all the flavor of this excellent smoke. It was clean burning and left little ash. For those of you who like Virginia tobacco you won't be disappointed and those who aren't really into Virginians should take a chance on this one - you too won't be disappointed, if fact you might be converted. I really like this stuff!

Wolfpaw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wolfpaw (37)

McClelland has a well-deserved reputation for its high-quality Virginia tobaccos, and No. 27 is a fine example. The flavor is good, solid, red Virginia-- not too sweet, slightly peppery; it's definitely tobacco you're tasting. Room note is pure tobacco too; though it's not overly strong, this one has earned objections from the tobacco- intolerant (i.e., "That stuff stinks!"). I don't find it all that objectionable myself, so I've split the difference and rated it "tolerable." The tin aroma is another story; V-27 is by far the most "ketchuppy" smelling of all the McClelland tobaccos I've tried. It's also the only McClelland tobacco which has a ketchuppy taste, but that fortunately only lasts for the first few puffs-- the Virginia tobacco taste quickly muscles the ketchup aside. I'd advise anyone trying V-27 for the first time to try to ignore those early impressions of vinegar and tomatoes and patiently await the real flavor and aroma to come through (it doesn't take long). Once that happens, the flavor is consistent all the way to the finish. Virginia No. 27 is middle-of-the-road in strength. The shag-cut flakes dry out very quickly and are easy to handle and load. It takes light with no trouble and rarely requires a relight. V-27 may nip a bit; if you forget to take it slow and easy, it will remind you.

geocritter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
geocritter (20)

I didn't know what to expect from McClellands, but I had read about the "ketchup" smell. I thought I'd give No. 27 a shot. At first, the tin smell was a little, well, ick. But as it aired out, I really noticed a complex richness that I liked. Smoking it was a pleasure, after I learned how to pack it a little more loosely than usual, and I found that after it dried out just a bit, it REALLY gets good. Burns a little hot at first, then cools down and becomes really complex and rich. Wife (my resident room-note and aroma expert) indicated that the smell was "Not perfect, but it's certainly ok". I found that it took a lot of re-lights, and each re-light can be a little rough, but once it's going, and cools down, it's an absolutely excellent smoke. I'm impressed.

VAman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
VAman (26)

this is a superb tobacco! i recomend this for anyone who loves a spicy VA. it can bite, but just puff long and slow fron the half way point in the bowl and you will be fine. packs well and is a little hard to keep lit at first.

GeoLogger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
GeoLogger (16)
Mild None Detected Medium Unnoticeable

This is my favourite of the McClellands numbered tins. I guess it is an all-day smoke because I smoke it all day a lot of the time. Skipping past "room note" (tobacco) and "tin aroma" (McClellands Va) to taste... This stuff tastes like tobacco -good light Virginia tobacco. I like that... heck, if I wanted fruit I would go for a jug of OJ. What makes it my very favourite though? I can't pin it down quite. I usually think I like a little Turkish and this has none of that (unless I mix a little in and I sometimes do just that). I like to think I like a little latakia - again none here. It is simply the case that I think this is a wonderful tobacco. It is a great cut. I rub out the whole tin in advance so mine is always ready, to me a strong plus. It is easy on the tongue if you are inclined to Va, it is easy on the palate, and it is easy to smoke. I guess I just like it.

Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Wow, what a fruity and sour smell in the tin! Not as delicious as Dunhill Navy Rolls (which has Perique, too, for a wonderful olfactory experience), but close... Two colleagues of mine always stop at my desk when I have it to take a deep sniff from the tin! In taste it reminds of Hal O' The Wynd (with which it shares the reddish brown broken flake appearance), but compared to the Rattray classic it's less moist, less bitey, and slightly lighter in body and nicotine. It's a good old classic virginia: sweet, fruity, with some sour notes but always very well balanced. Sure, Blackwoods Flake is even better, but this tobacco is still highly recommended.

provguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
provguy (52)

Mcllelland virginia flakes are of excellent leaf quality. I cannot get away from the vinegary, aroma and flavor to the tobaccos. #27 is definitely smooth and rich. However I cannot, even though I have tried to really like these flakes, I cannot really enjoy them as much as some other virginia flakes. Maybe I am allergic to something they use. The only flake I really enjoy is Dark Star and it is very good. I will leave #27 for some others to enjoy.

flint Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flint (30)

What can I say that hasn't already been said by my esteemed comrades. #27 does have a toasty subdued sweetness not at all like a tangy citrusy virginia. It's a respectable weed that will no doubt get better with age. I have 3 tins hiding in my closet as we speak. Happy puffing.

lustra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lustra (170)

Virginia 27 is a fragrant, well-made tobacco that burns very well and, for me anyway, smokes cool with very little tongue bite. I have recently smoked a 100-gram tin in a wide variety of pipes and regret that I can't rate this tobacco any better than average. Why? First of all, it seems to lose flavor once the tin has been opened. (To be fair, this is a problem for a number of Virginias). Second, I just can't maintain interest in this tobacco for more than a single, short smoke. If I smoke it often during the day, or in a large bowl, I always wind up just putting the pipe down and walking away. In a word, for any sort of extended smoking, this tobacco is simply dull. As an occasional smoke, it's OK, but I doubt I will buy any more. Much better, in my book are tobaccos like Old Gowrie, or even Astley's 109, which, although mild, have enough dynamic range to keep me interested. I even prefer 5100 with some age to this stuff.

For comparison's sake, my tin was two years old. I have no doubt that well-aged tins are great, but I'll be aging other tobaccos that I like better.

Medium None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Upon opening the tin you're met with the typical ketchup smell that is legendary among McClelland tobaccos. I never seem to get used to it, so I just avoid sniffing the can. I find if you rub some of this out in the palm of your hand and then smell, you get a much more representative smell of the actual tobacco that you are getting ready to smoke. Other than that this is a very delicious tobacco. I really like the flavor of the first third of the bowl. A rich sweet taste emerges right from the beginning. The second third of the bowl is more of the same, although a somewhat strong vinegary taste starts to come through. This only lasts a short while however before you're right back to the great taste you began with. The only problem is it tastes too good. I start puffing too hard and burn the hell out of my tongue! I have found that DGT'ing the second half of the bowl however seems to greatly decrease tongue bite, and highly increase the sweetness of this blend. In fact it may DGT better than any other blend than I have ever smoked. This blend rubs out easily and packs well. It is a little to moist right out of the tin however, so you may need to let it dry out for awhile or be ready for a more relights than usual. The tin I smoked was very young, and I can't wait to see what a few tins of this aged awhile will be like. This may also help cut down on the tongue bite. If I could remedy this problem this could very well become an all day smoke for me. Until then it is a sometime smoke in the evening when I want something sweet before I go to bed. I find it best to smoke while reading Garrison Keillor(sp?). Ah, now that's better!

BriarLaw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarLaw (85)

I like to smoke a VA tobacco as a change of pace from my usual English/Latakia blends. So perhaps I am not the best judge insofar as I am not a purist.

With that said I think No. 27 is excellent. A natuarally sweet/spicy flavor that continues throughout the bowl. Not too much bite for a VA, although with all VAs, you have to watch it. The aroma is certainly nicer than Latakia (for those around you). Sort of reminds me of a bakery. Relatively easy to rub-out and pack, and burns reasonably well (all flakes are a bit tough).

Not sure I agree that this is an "all day smoke" as advertised on the tin, however, unless your tongue resembles your dog's raw hide chew or you are a veteran VA smoker.

All in all a nice VA which, along with Rattray's Old Gowrie, are some of the best pure VAs out there.

Yet another McClelland blend that greets you with a vinegar aroma upon tin opening. Nicely prepared reddish to brownish flakes are partially rubbed out and I smoked them as received. Easy to light and keep lit. However, contrary to the tin claims, this is not an all day or indoor smoke for me. Although I had much better success with large bowled pipes, @ the pace that I sometimes smoke @ work, by the end of the day, my tongue was scorched. I've experienced similar results with other red VA flakes. You must smoke them slowly to allow the natural sweetness to develop and save your tongue. McClelland blends in general are not my wife's favorite aromas and #27 is near the bottom of her list. Within McClelland's portfolio, I'd pick Blackwoods or bulk 2015 flakes far before this blend.

BriarNorth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarNorth (49)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant

I fell in love with this weed right away. Some quality time with your snout in the tin reveals orange peel, raisins, cinnamon and clove. The taste is pure Virginia bliss--toasty sweetness that improves and deepens down the bowl. Room had a nutty-woody note (my wife thinks even Cap'n Black stinks, so I fire up the stinkiest stuff anyway since it all stinks to her). I found the weed was not eager to stay lit, and as it is Virginia, it wanted to burn the tongue of this lusty puffer, so a good rubbing out and perhaps a little open air time will improve its pack and lightability. Quality flavor such as this gets my full attention and respect. As an added bonus #27 does have the nicotine kick to satisfy those of us who have needs in that department! Certainly a top-quality tobacco that lovers of honest Virginias will particularly enjoy.

cklemp100 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cklemp100 (2)

This is my first review, and my first encounter with a straight Virgia.Being a novice I am now just venturing in to the world of non-aromatics. I found this one to be wonderfully sweet, but not syrupy. I highly recomment this blend to those just starting with non-aromatics its a nice step in ther right direction.

Tigerdad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tigerdad (3)

The tin opens with a typical burst of McClelland fruit. The thinly sliceds flakes rub out well into easy to pack strands. I normally smoke this in one of my XX Ashton billiards. In fact, I'm using #27 to break in a new Old Church saddle bit. Normally group 3 to 4 and perhaps a 5 work best for straight Virginians, because a larger pipe might be too much.

The tobacco lights easily and burns cleanly with sweetness that becomes richer through the smoke. However, you will only enjoy tobaccos like these if you smoke slowly. Otherwise, you're asking for a burnt tongue.

The aroma is subtle to me and my wife hates it. So it goes.