An unusual form of flake tobacco, its deep chestnut color results from the extended aging of full flavored Old and Middle Belt leaf very lightly seasoned with Drama. A smooth, robust tobacco good anytime for those who prefer the darker Virginia flavor. Is especially well suited for outdoor smoking.

Blended ByMcClelland Tobacco Company
Strength
Taste

3.6
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

This is by far my favorite of the McClelland brown label virginias, and I think the inclusion of the Drama leaf is the reason. It imparts a beautiful spiciness faintly reminiscent of perique to the blend and elevates this to 4 star status. Not my favorite blend but it will be part of my regular rotation... a regular but occasional smoke.

As mentioned, this is wet out of the tin and needs some drying time to perform at its best. I recently smoked a 19 year old tin of this but most of my review is based on a 1 year old tin. With regards to the aged version, it's absolutely wonderful - the best tobacco I have ever smoked. The one year old is also very good but it makes me want to cellar a tin or two for a couple of decades, which I have decided to do.

As is, this is still a great smoke.

Oh yes, another fine Virginia tobacco blend from McClellands!

More forgiving than Dark Star and even #27, this tobacco surely will win over even the most "dainty tongued" pipesters who shy away from Virginia blends due to the heat. It is also (nicotine wise) a headier brew than #27, and I do appreciate that drug.

McClelland's #24 is, simply stated, regal in flavor and behavior. It rubs out and stays lit easily. Puff slowly in order to savor the varying waves of Virginia flavor.

Hey McClelland's, you done good with this one!

The light vinegar smell that McClelland is well known for is only slightly present when you smell the tobacco, and almost non-existent during the smoke. The Virginias have a deep, fermented tangy dark fruit sweetness, slight citrus, stewed fruit, and a lot of earth with a few blades of grass. The spice, wood, and dry sour note from the Drama provides a mildly present flavor push. The nic-hit is mild to medium. No chance of bite or harshness. The flakes are broken and a little thick, so make sure you've given it some drying time. You may want to consider breaking the flake pieces a little smaller than they are. Burns slow, cool and clean with a very rich, consistent taste all the way through. Requires a fair number of relights, and leaves a little moisture in the bowl. You may have to stir up the last quarter, depending on how you dried and packed your pipe. Has a very pleasing after taste. Can be an all day smoke. Three and a half stars.

This is a fairly complex smoke for a two component blend. Among the flavors and nuances of flavors encountered were fruit, wood, spice, sweetness, a note similar to butter, and hints of salt and earth. Very nice and pretty well rounded.

It got interesting when choosing a pipe. I first used a cob and got a much stronger showing from the Oriental. In fact, by the end of the bowl it had drowned out the Virginias completely. For this reason I recommend using a briar for this flake. In a briar the Virginias remain strong. The Oriental will gain in strength and achieve a nice balance toward the end. It's a nicer smoke that way.

I really like this one and think it deserves full honors. 4 stars.

Mild to medium in body and flavor. I used a cube cut and a full rub on this and got a little better burn with the full rub.

Pipe Used: MM Country Gentleman, Savinelli Bulldog

I have to admit I am not the biggest fan of McClelland Virginias as they often lack the punch of the EU made Virginia blends that I often smoke. But No. 24 is a winner. The flakes are very moist and need dry time, a lot of dry time. But the wait is worth it. The Matured Virginias offer their usual sweetness, but the Drama is what wins me over to this blend. It adds a delicious spice note while amping up the overall flavor of the blend. I wouldn’t call it overly spicy, but just right for me and it adds an additional dimension to the blend that I often crave from this fine company. It burns slowly and like every McClelland Virginia blend I have tried, there isn’t a whisper of a bite. I have never minded the fermented smell of McClelland Virginias, but those that do should know that it doesn’t seem as strong to me as other blends. I find my best results by a fairly light pack of small flake pieces with just a little fully rubbed out to get things going. My wife, a McClelland VA lover, has an eleven year old 100g tin stashed away that I’m sure she won’t miss…….

SmokeDawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmokeDawg (82)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

I'm primarily a straight Va and VaPer smoker and I finally got my hands on a four year aged tin of this stuff. Popped the lid and saw an army flat rich brown flakes staring back at me. The moisture looked just right but I rubbed a flake out and let it dry while I prepared a cup of hot tea. I then loaded them into my best briar.. A handmade Straight grain Luciano Dublin bowl.

Oh my. This is REALLY GOOD. You don't get waves of sweet VA here and there, its a constant VA sweetness throughout and really tasty like only McClelland Va's can do. You can tell the dark VA has some age on it and its pressed to perfection. I hope this one doesn't spoil me regarding my other VA's. This tasted alot like Blackwoods Flake. If you enjoy VA's and haven't tried No.24 I highly recommend it! A tail wagger for sure. Smoke it up!

Pipe Used: Luciano Dublin Straight Grain

Age When Smoked: Tin from 12-10

Purchased From: Ebay.

Similar Blends: Blackwoods Flake.

Tom Servo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tom Servo (58)

Tin aroma reminds me of playing in the hay loft of the old barn on a humid, rainy Autumn day. Beautifully matured Virginia. Just a whiff of the sweetish-tangy, sea air saltiness and fresh citrus nature of the Drama. Sweet and sour - curing hay and grain - fermenting grain, heady and earthy and intoxicating. Lighter notes of malt syrup, molasses, cocoa, sun-dried tomatoes, pepper, white wine (riesing).

Light it up, and dive into the deep, sweet ripe Virginia. Warm cookie dough, rum cake with raisins, hay, coffee, black pepper. The Drama Orientals add a fresh, spicy, salty, citrus tang that blends nicely into the delicious Virginia background.

Delicious, light Virginia flake. Magnificent flavor, but has a tendency to bite. Even with careful puffing, in five different pipes. The fact is sometimes Virginias bite, there no getting around it. A great blend, the only minus is having to be so diligent with your puffing to keep your tongue safe.

Not on my favorites list, but very, very good. I'll try this one again, but as long as McClelland still makes Blackwoods Flake, I'll probably grab that first. Although I do like the Drama - Virginia combination. Gonna give it 3 ½ Stars.

This is some good stuff. It took me a while to get around to trying this one, but better late than never. No. 27 is a fantastic blend in its own right, but doesn't differentiate itself from the other McClelland Virginias like this one does.

IMHO The drama is perfectly paired with the Matured Virginia in 24 superbly adding the ideal amount of sour notes to a very sweet mix of Virginia leaf. What comes out of the pipe is monotone in taste, but tasty nonetheless. I will be adding a lot of this to the cellar. Four stars all the way.

Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (171)

I've had this tin cellared for 6 years. I have always found McClelland Va's perform much better with some age on them, and this one is no exception. Cracking this tin reveals some beautiful brindle flakes, comprised of medium brown, dark chestnut and light lemon color. Tin aroma is a bit different from the usual vinegar McClelland, if you are familiar with sour Kriek Lambic beers, this will smell familiar to you. It has a sour fruit aroma, with a bit of citrus. Rubbing out wasn't much of a chore, it seemed much easier than say Blackwoods Flake. loading was a breeze, a bit of spring back, enough to make the charring light easy, and perfect for minimal relights.

Initial light is something special. You can really detect the Drama, it lends a spiciness that plays very well with the sweetness of the darker Va's. Small, consistent sips instead of full long draws with keep the nuances alive, and will prevent this blend from smoking hot and airy. The flavor is sweet and bready, with a touch of spice. The spiciness is really noticeable when exhaled through the nose.

It states on the tin that this blend is suitable for outdoor smoking, but smoking this indoors leaves an awesome room note of baked breads and Danish. I know this one will be a permanent fixture in my cellar from now on!

Out of all the Matured Virginia in this line up, try this one last. Because it's the best.

Pairs well with a bold roast coffee.

McClelland - No. 24 (Matured Virginias).

Think of Peterson University Flake, snap a flake in half, and that's the size of these. Some pieces are smaller, and some bigger, but that's about the size of the majority. The colour of them is a dark brown, and the moisture of my tin made the blend smokeable straight away.

For the first half the Virginia is in charge; it tastes sweeter, earthier, and fresher, than the latter half. Once the Orientals kick in they change the character a bit; it goes from being sweet and mild, to more savoury and sharp, with a slight tanginess. The flavour progresses until the finish, with the Orientals constantly gaining weight. The burn from No. 24 is great, the smoke's medium in temperature, and totally bite free.

The room-note's quite full, and the nicotine's just above medium.

No. 24? Highly recommended:

Four stars.

Pipe Used: Altinok Meerschaum

Age When Smoked: Three months

HabaneroHardy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HabaneroHardy (46)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Unnoticeable

I must confess I am a tobacco hoarder. Not to brag but I have more pipe tobacco than I will ever smoke in my lifetime. I am 57 years old and this has led me to a dilemma. Do I start trying some of my blends that are between 15 and 20 years old; or do they wind up being sold to a Tobacco Store dirt cheap upon my demise only to have someone else enjoy them at a fraction of their worth? I have decided to start cracking open a few tins. I opened McClelland No. 24. I bought this blend in 2000. I am not a poet so my comments will be brief. Upon opening I smelled a strong sweet acidic odor from the tobacco which I liked. I have never met a McClelland I didn’t like to tell you the truth. The flakes were dark with light streaks and broken into nice size pieces. I grabbed a few, folded and shoved them in my Savinelli Goliath Billiard which is as old as the tobacco. I lit it and sat it back down and let it burn out. I lit again and got a nice spicy, cool smoke with lots of smoke halos around me. I have only smoked the one bowl but find it very good and remind me more of a really mild English than a VA which must be the Drama. I can see why this gets great reviews.

Pipe Used: Savinelli Goliath

Purchased From: Can't remember

donmartinthree Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
donmartinthree (22)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

I did not know what to expect when I bought this - it sounded good, had good reviews, I love darker/aged Virginias and I like oriental and prefer flake cuts. That's really the only reason I got a tin of this when I was in the states at my parents' place over Christmas last year.

Now almost a year later and back in Germany, where I live, I finally got around to opening and smoking a decent amount of this.

The tin note upon opening reveals that McClelland vinegar scent, but that fades after being opened for a day or so. What's left is the smell of wood, something nutty in the background, a slightly sour note and dark notes of raisins and figs. I'm telling you, this is as deliciously-smelling as it is -looking and especially -tasting...

The small flakes are of a thick cut with a relatively dark colour with lighter streaks (drama leaf) throughout. They are too thick to pack as flake, so what I do is, when I have a LOT of time (this burns so slowly!), cut the flakes into small cubes with my very sharp opinel and then just let them fall into my pipe etc. without tamping. When I don't want a smoke that will last 2+ hours in a medium sized bowl, I rub it out to a nice ribbon cut that is slightly wide.

The flavors are amazing... Rich, dark, spicy aged virginia flavors with one of the creamiest mouth-feels of smoke I've ever experienced (except for in cigars occasionally). Mid-bowl, the drama oriental becomes more pronounced and it develops a slight tanginess accompanied by a rich, almost roasted nuttiness, akin to maybe walnuts or pecans. A very rich and robust flavor which, combined with the aforementioned rich, spicy virginia flavors, is amazing.

The tin states this, and usually I believe that to be marketing speak, however, I did smoke this outdoors on a few walks in the woods and I must say, this is a stunning tobacco.

When I am back in the states this year, I'm bringing more of this home with me. Damn.

Pipe Used: GBD Prince

Age When Smoked: Tin dated Feb. 2011

Purchased From: shop

cakeanddottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cakeanddottle (68)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

For my money the best tobacco McClelland makes. Sweet and savory Va with enough Drama added to provide a whisper of spice. Super Va and stands up against the best. Great with some age too

DeathMetal.org Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DeathMetal.org (121)
Mild None Detected Medium Tolerable

Saturday morning at the house of my grandparents, twenty years ago: the coffee bubbles in the percolator, eggs and bacon sizzle on the grill, the television is on super loud and then, someone pops some bread in the toaster and a delightful smell fills the house. Grandma bought the bread that was sweet and delicious but bad for you at the grocery store, so toast there was more like candy to us kids raised on urban-suburban homebrew bread. Imagine spreading some apricot jam on it, and you have the basic idea of the first half of the bowl of this blend. The Orientals add a slight piquant flavor to the stacked and pressed Virginias, bringing out a honey, bread and lemon flavor which changes as the bowl burns down and melts the sugars in the Virginias. Out of that sweet-sour taste, represented by the apricot jam although that is not an exact flavor match, comes the sensation of nougat, where the honey and sugar balance the gently tangy flavor of egg whites. Over time this gives way to more of a caramelized honey flavor with a faint tang of lemon, and as the bowl turns to ash, becomes a purer sweetness like agave. For those who like sweeter tobaccos, this is quite a treat that could easily be smoked all day and late into the night, but the higher sugars means that it burns hotter and can bite, so it is best breath-smoked at an extremely slow pace. A large bowl lasts me for an hour and three quarters of an hour. Although it is already "matured," this blend will likely gain a richer flavor with further aging.

Rothesay Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rothesay (5)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

The fourth and final of the McClelland Mature Virginias that I have tried, this one wins the prize. Though the tin aroma still had that ketchup aroma (and I really do not like ketchup at all) it was less Nos. 22 and 25, but more than No. 27. As with the latter, it did not carry over into the smoke.

The partly broken flakes were good quality, though they took a little more to rub out as this blend is somewhat stouter in construction. It was hard to get the flakes to beyond a broken ready rub. I did not even consider folding and stuffing after the nicotine hit from the first bowl. The moisture content of this more than year-old tin was a trifle damp, but not enough that any drying was necessary.

In flavor, this one was the strongest than the others, but mostly in a good way. The 24 had a sweetness that was lacking in 22, 25, and 27, which I really liked. It wasn't cloying, though it had a molasses quality. I might just buy another tin of this to cellar and see if that flavor improves with several years aging. The room note was easily the best of the four according to the wife test. My only real complaint here is that the nicotine level was too high for my lights - I know many like that aspect of tobacco, but I could do without it. I have to take a star away for it, though I would like to only take a half-star.

Overall, my experiment with the four McClelland Mature Virginias was a success in that I have found at least one - this one No. 24 - that I would purchase again.

(1.75oz tin smoked over 14 days in June.)

Age When Smoked: 1 year, 4 months

Cat Jockey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cat Jockey (11)

Simply put, a fantastic tobacco. Quite possibly my very favorite tobacco, for what is Life without a bit of Drama ?...? The addition of said Drama, and the incense to floral notes (the floral notes in the tin show up not long after being transferred to a jar, while they are ever present in the smoke) it brings, combines with the Virginias used in spectacular fashion and in the right proportion. Wonderfully complex.

Once again, McClelland nails it with their tin description and another superb tobacco from the Whale of land locked Missouri.

This is a 5 star, not 4, tobacco. It is that good.

Pipe Used: Nuttin' but Cobs for me ...

J.R. Patton Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
J.R. Patton (106)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant

I don't have much to add to what others have already said about No. 24. This is a superb offering from McClelland and a personal favorite of mine. Let's face it, straight Virginias, for all their pleasantries, can get a little monochromatic or boring sometimes. In this blend, the addition of Drama completely eliminates the issue and makes for one fine, interesting smoke. You get the ever-present creamy sweetness of excellent red VA, complemented by a constantly changing presence of mildly sharp, spicy and tart high notes coming from the Drama leaf. It adds a highly refreshing sort of complexity that makes this one a treat in any kind of weather, hot or cool. And as GentlemanZombie points out, the flavor profile is greatly influenced by the choice of pipe. I always smoke tobacco in a briar, cob, and meerschaum side by side before doing a review. And in my limited experience, no blend I've yet tried is as dependent on pipe type as No. 24. When the weather is cooler or I just want a sweet creamy smoke with that extra hint of tartness, I choose briar. When the weather is warm I choose a cob to get the most out of the refreshingly tart overtones. In summary, this is a spectacular blend with a surprising amount of complexity, and the leaf quality, as always with McClelland, is second to none. Perfect burn and zero bite issues. If you don't have a few McClelland VAs in rotation, you're surely missing out. Highly recommended, if I ever find this in bulk I will cellar pounds of it.

Pipe Used: Stanwell HCA III, MM Washington

Age When Smoked: 1 year

Purchased From: Pipesandcigars.com

Loved it, but I love most McClellands I've tried. This one is especially rich and satisfying.

12-6-11 Aquired a tin from 1993; don't ask how much I paid. Still debating whether to cellar it (i.e. for how long) or smoke it (i.e. sooner rather than later), but when I do smoke it, I will post my thoughts.

The review by DK right below mine is tempting me to go for the smoke it sooner option...

JohnnyMcPiperson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JohnnyMcPiperson (108)

Tin note strikes me with pleasant smells of dried fruit and cedar. The flavor son first light are very dry tasting, pencil shavings, chestnut, lightly toasted bread. A subtle sweetness peeks in and out. Halfway through the bowl I'm getting an oaky sweetness. It makes me take a couple of deep draws to get a better taste, must be careful though lest she unleash the VA bite. A fine smoke, smooth, dry, not as bitey as some McClelland VAs.

Pipe Used: Morta bamboo pick axe and a GBD Meer lined

Age When Smoked: 2010

Purchased From: Gift

raybrown55 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
raybrown55 (27)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant

Drama Reserve is one of my favourite blends, so I had to try No. 24, because they share the same ingredients. It seems to me that the proportions of the two constituent tobaccos are here reversed, more Virginia in no. 24 and less Drama, but the final effect is equally fascinating: a full and creamy taste and a joy to smoke it ...

Pipe Used: Bogni

Purchased From: Dubini Chiasso

Jacinto Cupboard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jacinto Cupboard (180)
Medium None Detected Very Full Very Pleasant

This is a genre bender from McC. A rich Va broken flake with a hit of Orientals. It has a rich, fruity sweetness at its core and a pronounced fragrance and sourness from the Drama leaf.

This baccy bursts with flavour. Most of my smoking is done indoors but it is easy to see why McC would commend it as an outdoor chuff.

This stuff is really well done and confirms in my mind the view that these people are world leaders when it comes to quality Va pipe tobaccos.

Pipe Used: MM Washington

Stefanos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stefanos (150)

It comes in thick broken dark brown flakes which are quite moist but with a loose packing can be smoked directly at a sipping pace.

Tin aroma has the vinegary quality which I personally enjoy, combined with nutty and sweet spicy notes.

Produces a full bodied, rich and concentrated smoke with earthy and nutty tones and full flavor and I enjoyed it very much at the slow sipping pace its moisture level dictated. Rounded, creamy and smooth, it produces no bite and has no rough edges. No hay-like aromas, it’s more on the mature, sweet yeasty side of the Virginia flavor spectrum. I suppose the Drama leaf lends some sweet spiciness but I did experience a homogeneous smoke and not scattered nuances here and there. It also becomes more interesting as the bowl progresses: the sweet spiciness increases halfway through the bowl, so it’s not a one dimensional smoke. It constantly delivers a beautiful mellow sweetness and though not all bowls were the same - but that has probably more to do with body chemistry - some were heavenly. It needs a few relights but then after each one you get an increased mellowness and a toasted bready sweetness. Draw with a loose packing is unproblematic. It leaves a powdery grey ash and burns dry.

Even though it’s a robust tobacco, I enjoyed it very much as a first tobacco in the morning with coffee. Yet, I consider this tobacco a luxury which I like to contemplate and savour, so although I will be buying again, I won’t use as an all day tobacco. In a few words this is a regal Virginia which is highly recommended.

Pipe Used: Corn cobs

Age When Smoked: fresh tin

drdave Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
drdave (15)

I'm sure glad I recently ordered a 100 gram tin of this wonderful weed from Smokingpipes. Not having had it since sometime around 1990, I hadn't remembered just how damn good this is. Beautiful golden brown and vari-colored short cut flakes in the tin emit fine fragrances of fermenting Virginia at its best. Smokes sugar sweet and smooth to the ash. The inclusion of Drama leaf really adds to the freakin' fine taste. Going to be stocking piles of cans of it in the cellar. McClellands, I think, put together the best Virginias on planet Earth and this one is at the top of that list.

Pipe Used: briars, big and small

Age When Smoked: 2015

Similar Blends: in a class of its own.

Mesh Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mesh (50)

I find McClelland's VAs a bit hit-and-miss, and as far as I'm concerned No. 24 is one of their big hits. Rich, creamy, spicy, sweet and sour all at the same time - it's definitely one of the more distinctive VA-based blends on the market.

I found the Oriental component more prominent than the tin description suggests. About 90% of my smoking involves straight VAs these days, so this blend probably won't be a frequent smoke for me. Nevertheless, it's a very well-made tobacco and deserves a full recommendation.

MAPiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MAPiper (10)

I got a tin of this to try along with Scottish Woods and Tudor Castle. I'm primarily a VA and VA Per smoker. I wanted to try some oriental blends. I didn't think this one would be the best out of those three but it might be. They are all fantastic but this deceptively complex blend has a lot to offer. This is a great virginia flake with a little sour taste and depth from the Drama leaf. It's rich and also sweet. I was very surprised by how sweet this is. I've read in reviews about orientals that they can be sweet.

24 is very well balanced. It's simple but I can see smoking tons of this and not tiring of it. It's an excellent smoke and I will buy some to cellar

Tilley4 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tilley4 (10)

The Drama doesn't do this one any favors.. Something doesn't jive with the Virginia here... This isn't a bad tobacco but if they dropped the Drama out of it, I would like it much better...

Update: This tobacco needs to be dried thoroughly before smoking. I was smoking this way too wet and not getting the full flavors... The Drama serves to enhance this tobacco, not detract as I previously stated... This had become one of my go to blends now that I have more experience with the pipe...

oldcodger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oldcodger (71)

McClelland No. 24 in the Matured Virginias series is a fine tasting tobacco which must be smoked carefully to avoid tongue bite.

Touted as suitable for outdoor smoking, No. 24 is in small Dentyne gum sized flakes. The acetic aroma characteristic of McClellands is present, although not as strong as in some of their offerings. The flakes are far too moist on opening the can. Break the seal and wait three days.

The Virginia have been aged to a deep chestnut color. The manufacturer says it is "lightly seasoned" with Drama, a varietal oriental, presumably the orange streaks in the small flakes. I find the oriental a bit stronger than "lightly seasoned" would suggest. I often describe oriental as herbal in taste, but the Drama has an affinity with olive oil.

The small flakes cram easily into the pipe, but loaded this way No. 24 is hard to light. Even rubbed out, this is not an easy tobacco to light, but hold in mind it is described as ideal for outdoor smoking. A fine cut burns hot outdoors on a windy day.

The Virginia flavor is fairly full and not particular sweet for this variety of tobacco. Overall, I find the flavor of this Virginia plus Drama to be quite likable. The room note is nondescript, but not offensive. The nicotine level is medium.

I would rate No. 24 higher if I did not find it so difficult to light and requiring a very precise puffing technique to avoid tongue bite.

My last tin was smoked with Dunhills and a Sasieni 3 Dot.

ruffinogold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ruffinogold (107)

Oh , man ! This is quite a great blend . Every so often a blend blows me away and # 24 sure did ! I'm not a big McClelland Fan mostly because of their " ketchup " perverseness [ lol ] . well , this blend doesnt have any ketchup at all , thank the Lord . McClelland flakes are thicker cut and softer than the European stuff , in general . The aroma of the open tin is lovely ! It smokes very slow and very cool .. this stuff couldnt bite , just impossible . The whisper of Oriental [ drama apparently ] is just the cats ass ! It's there but in such a mild lovely way that I wasnt even sure what it was . It adds a slight depth to the blend and is just fantastic ! I'm gonna keep it short cause I just started smoking this blend and I'm sure I'll edit later as I get to experience it more . In a Nut shell .... Giada De Laurentis in Fishnets !!!!

Pipe Used: From small to large

Purchased From: http://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/mac-baren/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=1185

This is good, but I feel it needs a year or two in the cellar . I also detect a slight flavoring, almost a "Lakeland floral", that I'm not a fan of. All that said , I can't rate this a full 3 stars.

Updated 2/12/14- Well I gave this another try, and I really don't find the Lakeland Floral scent anymore. The tin now has about 6 months of cellar time . What I did notice is a bad bite. I usually love McC Virginias and for that matter Drama, but these two together, make a real tongue scorcher . I also found this a hard tobacco to keep lit, I guess that's why the description says it's a good outdoor tobacco, I guess for when you're riding a motorcycle . Back to the cellar with this one.

Pipe Used: cob

Wawalsh Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wawalsh (8)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

My first two attempts to smoke this tobacco ended up in me dumping the bowl before it was fully smoked. I decided to try it a third time and filled my Dunhill Tan Shell estate pipe and lit her up. It started out bland as I remembered it and then...... 1/4 of the way down the bowl the tobacco came alive. Very complex with a sweet earthiness. Just a little spice in the background to enliven my taste buds. Once lit, I did not have to relite and she smoked all the way to the bottom. It left me wanting more.

I am a fan of the McClelland line but I would like this tobacco no matter who made it. Highly recommended.

AL Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AL (24)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

2017 Additional Notes. For two years I accumulated 50 large tins of #24 for aging, they are now 10-12 years old. This tobacco becomes amazing with some time in the closet.

McClelland #24 is my favorite in Virginias. I have two pipes that have had nothing but #24. One of the pipes is an average sized group 4 and the other is a much larger, heavy walled system pipe. Both pipes do a good job with #24 although I do prefer the larger for the longer smoke. Opening the tin you will find a gorgeous leaf, chestnut brown as noted, there will be about one inch flakes and some that are falling apart. Older tins will generally have some sugar crystals. You can find some light, almost white, strands mixed in the flake, which I?m guessing, is the Drama. Is this technically an Oriental blend? I find the tin aroma to be a little vegetal, citrus, and sweet. In the larger pipe I stuff in #24 in whole flake and then top off with the fine-rubbed. In the smaller pipe I rub out the flake and top off with the fine stuff. This tobacco comes moist and needs aired out. I dry it to near crunchy.

If I get any bite from this tobacco it is when I am lighting up or if the tobacco is too moist. With the fine tobacco on the top of the bowl this is an easy lightup. The taste, well it is sweet and woody to me, with an occasional tart note, I get more taste sensation from #24 than any other tobacco I smoke. Frequently I let this go out during a smoke; the smell of the burned tobacco is of a rich charred wood, like a campfire that?s gone out, the room note is pleasant. The last quarter of the smoke is excellent. For a Virginia, surprisingly, this makes a little more smoke than most. As with any pipe tobacco, slow smoking produces the best character of the tobacco. The nicotine hit to me stays steady throughout the smoke and does not become too powerful at the end. This burns down to a powdery gray ash.

steppx Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
steppx (152)

McClelland is noted for their Virginia flakes. Everything from the pugent Dark Star to the smooth pleasures of the various Xmas Cheers, to the near perfection of Blackwoods Flake. The matured virginia series is very good, but most smokers I know think #24 is the best. And that's likely the effect of the added oriental leaf. The Drama leaf is a very strong oriental...a little goes a long ways for most people. Its not unlike Deer Tongue in a sense. You either love it or hate it. I pretty much love it, at least here. The Virginias are rich and earthy, a darker sort of flavor, a bit closer to dark star than 22 or 27 in this series. Perhaps it is close to the 1776 blend they make up, but with the added Drama. Now, even if there were no Drama in here it would be a rich earthy Virginia flake. Another flake it resembles (sans the Oriental) is Germain's Brown flake. The same fermented quality. The Germain is, like all english flakes, cased a tiny bit. This isnt as far as I can tell. The dry time is minimal compared to dark star or, really, most McClellands. Rub it out a bit and let it sit ten minutes. A few relights at the start and you should be able to smoke it right to the bottom of the bowl. And boy its a long slow rich smoke. An absolute top flight virginia flake. The Drama is noticable, to be sure, and an occasional puff will really hit you .....pure Drama....but thats part of the experience with this. Id give it more than four stars if I could.

Purchased From: 4noggins

crazy owl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
crazy owl (72)

From a Va lover but quite sensitive to biting I can only say that,carefully smoked of course,is tongue friendly in a briar and splendid in a cob Fine stuff as a true Mc Clelland but I prefer in similar range the glorious Yenidje Supreme on both sides,Va & Oriental with the famous sour-sweet ketchup aroma.This No.24 has in the good way more vinegar touch,less sweet.IMHO the before said YS is more ripe and desn´t need aging.Anyway worth to try and perfect for cellaring.I must explore more Va forest to give more accurate reviews.In short don´t be so afraid of biting but slowly sip and enjoy it.Absolutely needed some hours of airing before first smoking. UPDATE I give the fourth star considering that this is almost a pure Va with just a magical pinch of Macedonia and not a straight oriental blend and because it´s one of the very few blends that I´m not get tired of smoking bowl after bowl.By the way only a few months after rubbed and jarred is yet better.

Pipe Used: cobs and Peterson´s system

Age When Smoked: current production

Purchased From: smokingpipes

Similar Blends: grand orientals but less intense.

Big Train Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Train (59)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

This was one of the original 10 tobaccos that Mc Clelland came out with over 30 years ago . It has not changed in any way in those 30 years . This is one of the Mc Clelland hallmarks ; the consistency of the blends . If you like it you can depend on it years after year being the same . Like their other blends , #24 is totally unique , you will never taste another blend like this one . Using Drama as a compliment to the really fine Virginias is at once a master stroke and an innovation . #24 has a depth not often associated with Virginias because of the high quality Virginias and the best drama that I have ever encountered in any blend . This is a later in the day blend which goes with afternoon tea , very British you know . Now , not everyone likes Drama . If you are one of those this blend is not for you . But if you are willing to give orientals a chance #24 will reward you with some really fine smoking .

Cloud Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cloud (11)

This stuff is awesome. I never thought I would take to a virginia like I have with 24. It happens twenty-four is a lucky number for me. I only enjoy smoking aromatics but that all changed recently with this nice blend from McClelland. It's simply a good smoke. This tobacco comes highly recommended.

Pipe Used: briar

Age When Smoked: stored for 2 weeks

Purchased From: tobaccopipes.com

Similar Blends: Matured Flake(?).

speaknott Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
speaknott (4)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

Appearance: medium sized flakes, a bit trickier to rub out than normal. Mixed coloration.

Scent: rich, slightly acidic, almost olive oily type of smell. Very pleasant.

Taste: bright and spicy. A touch of citrus and olive oil.

Smoke level: not overwhelming.

Overall, a very unique style of red Virginia with the inclusion of the Drama leaf. Highly recommended.

Pipe Used: Whitehall Oom Paul, Kaywoodie Standard Billiard

Age When Smoked: 2011

Purchased From: Cigar Jacks

Denevei Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Denevei (58)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

McClelland's Virginia #24 is my first experience with the tobacco Drama, which is a strong Macedonian condimental tobacco. The blend comes as a small flake, cut fairly thick but easily rubbed out; it is fairly consistently medium brown in color and has a pleasant pouch aroma. The charring light strikes me as basically Virginia. Once lit the Virginia is still the primary flavor, coming through as sweet and slightly fruity, but there is an interesting undertone which reminded me somewhat of the taste of Orientals, but which certainly is not a typical Oriental flavor. The early part of the bowl needs to be smoked quite carefully. This blend could potentially burn the smoker's tongue more than most blends I can think of. Deeper into the bowl the flavor remains sweet and creamy, while the bite-inducing nature dissipates, making the mid-bowl extremely pleasant. The undertone previously noted has picked up a bit at this point, but the Virginia sweetness is really enjoyable. The somewhat spicy underflavor of the Drama is quite pleasant now. If the entire smoke was what it is at mid-bowl, I'd run out and buy a couple of pounds of the blend. The end of the smoke, unfortunately, lets off on flavor. To me, the taste of the Drama adds a somewhat metallic flavor along with the musty spiciness. With each bowl I smoked, the last quarter or so was quite a letdown after the exciting, almost brilliant mid-bowl pleasure. It could be that Drama is a tobacco I simply need to get used to in order to enjoy. However, the blend is sold as a Virginia, and so my expectations in smoking it are naturally going to be based on what I know of this type of tobacco. As Virginias go there are many better. Coming from McClelland, I was disappointed with #24.

Fly ticky Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fly ticky (26)
Strong Very Strong Medium Very Strong

As you may see I am not thrilled with this tobacco.Will update and change my call if things change.

MDP Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MDP (39)

Overall impressions: Dark and deeply flavorful Virginia flake made the more complex with a varietal Oriental dappled in the layers. Very cool, slightly sweet and without the sourness associated with some Virginia/Oriental attempts (cf. Embarcadero or even Blended Flake made by McClelland). Perhaps my favorite McClelland Virginia presently, having tried all their brown and reserve tins. I can find no fault.

mo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mo (79)

I must say, this blend caught me by surprise, a very pleasant one if i may add. I love the cut, the tin aroma, the perfect moisture level from the tin. The taste is deliciously tangy, sweet and natural. It is a great virginia blend that i really enjoy.

If you are a lover of virginia blends you cannot go wrong with this one, please bear in mind that it is a bit light on nicotine

Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

An ammonia-like smell is what greets you after opening the tin. The only drawback is that it can taint the room note, hence the "pleasant to tolerable" rating. Some have noted the smell of urine while I smoked it (a similar experience with McClelland Navy Cavendish), but don't worry as none of this translates into the smoke.

In spite of all this, I enjoyed Virginia No. 24 very much. It was pleasantly sweet, and I am sure some of that extra sweetness was due to the addition of the Drama leaf. There was no bite or moisture while smoking, the end result a clean medium-gray ash.

If you favor Virginias, you should try this blend at least once. Not in my regular Virginia line-up, but a nice smoke for when the mood strikes. 3 solid stars.

t-rexxx Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
t-rexxx (5)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

I love the the smell needs to be ground up in a leaf grinder to pack properly.Takes a while to light drying out first helps.Pack loose in a large bowel for best results.the taste is very smooth and sweet halfway down to end.can't pinpoint a flavor.just a mild sweetness.Not bad,but I'm still a Mccranies ribb,flake fan.

al1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
al1 (58)

This is one weird va blend. It has this nutty almost musty woodsy smell and taste to it to me. Kind of interesting tin aroma. Not offensive but not the typical mclelland aroma for va's. Just Interesting. Will keep you wondering what it smells like for a long time. I find this blend is one of the few that tastes close to the way it smells.

As far as taste this is not your ordinary va. I find it good to mix things up but not a daily smoke. Smooth and nutty. Not bitey at all. Not that flavorful either but a good solid smoke.

I find the tin aroma and taste nothing like #27 as others mentioned. Much more mellow and unpronounced in both smell and taste.

Good, interesting and worth the money. Will smoke it once and a while. Just not as much as the others I smoke everyday in this series. I like the 27 and 22 the most.

update: I am finding myself coming back to this blend more and more often. It is very good and smooth. A little hard to get lit but worth the effort. Fast becoming a regular for me.

Buster Bluth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Buster Bluth (56)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This McClelland blend typifies what I love about this hobby. By 'hobby', I mean that us pipe smokers are on the quest for that magic experience that takes us to the next level. Cigarette and Cigar smokers aren't after that grail, IMHO. The 'high' or the 'status' dominate. As an ex' cigarette smoker, I smoked to cope. Cigar guys say..."This is a good smoke at $17 a stick". Well, pipes aren't about need or price, its about the personal experience that matters.

So where does #24 take you? To an ethereal place if you can do the pre-flight chscklist. First off, way too wet outta the can. I let a pinch of flakes dry on a paper plate 48hrs before light-up. Currently, I'm popping cans 2 and 4 yrs old. A previous reviewer mentioned a size 4 pipe. This is the best size for this weed.

Smoke this stuff fast and you lose and get burnt!!! Do a subtle breath smoke, and you'll be rewarded. The flavor will awe you, and the nicotene will floor you.

Don't rush this tobacco. Waste your matches, it's a small price to pay. Unlike Mc's Dark Star, this stuff is worth the time.

Satc001 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Satc001 (66)

I opened the tin of No. 24 and took a sniff. I immediately detected the scent of fine matured Virginia. For those of you not used to the scent, do not let the pungent odor deter you, it is not even similar to its smoking qualities.

I love the flakes, easy to rub out and easy to pack. I found that it took a couple more matches to get going well, but that was a minor inconvience. The first puff provided me with what I suspected: smooth, mellow VA flavor. Not tangy or sour but sweet. As I was enjoying an incredible VA experience I began to notice the Drama, which added a nice smokiness and spice to the flavor. If puffed slowly, this tobacco has no bite. The entire experience was a treat. To top it off, it has a great aroma that is friendly to the smoker and to friends.

This review based on a tin from 99'

Appearance and Tin Aroma: Nice 1" squares of flake that are mostly dark brown. Due to the age, there are alot sugar crystals on the flakes. The familiar MC tang is subdued and that is typical of aged tins. The aroma reminds one of red VA and hay, delicious!

Packing and Lighting: I had a lot of fun while reviewing this blend and settled on rolling a "burrito" of flakes lengthwise and stuffing it in my pipes. The age also made lighting relatively easy, 3-4 lights.

Initial Flavor: yumm! Red Va is prominent with the matured and golden leaves as support.

Mid-Bowl: This is delightful mid-strength VA with a nice roundness and sweetness. The turkish really adds a nice flavor.

Bottom of Bowl: This is over too quickly. There is a slight increase in strength, DGT works awesome with this blend. This is definitely an all-day blend.

Overall: If you are looking for a tasty all day VA blend, age a few tins and enjoy. This blend has grown on me lately and I have upgraded from 3 stars to 4. A delicious VA with turkish added! Yummmmm!

A very full dark Virginia partly broken flake. A bit moist fresh from the can. Crumbles fairly easily. The vinegar smell was quite subdued for a fresh tinned McClelland. About one-half star below Best Brown Flake. Should improve nicely with age.

Typical McClelland flake! The difference here lies in the presence of some oriental leaf, which makes the sweetness of the virginias less evident and adds some pungency. The thick flakes are difficult to fully rub out, so this is a perfect blend for smoking outside. My tin was 3 and a half years old, and the flakes were covered with sugar crystals: this may have helped in creating a very nice, complex smoke. It certainly is a flake which requires your attention and which after a while can actually grow on you. A bit bitey, though, but nothing that a seasoned Virginia smoker won't be able to handle!

This was my first experience with Drama, a Turkish tobacco which proved enjoyable. The tin aroma is pretty typical of the McClelland 'vinegar' although not as intense as others. Nicely formed chestnut colored flakes that are easy to pack without rubbing them out and result in a cool, rich smoke. Although tasty thruout, this blend is spicier, even @ a slow burn, than I prefer for an all day smoke. However, after meals or for a change, it's a mellow smoke.

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)

The tin aroma is typical McClelland, slightly vinegary and fermented. The small flakes are mostly red with a trace of yellow leaf, and rub out easily. The flakes are slightly thicker than the offerings of S. Gawith, and so I finf them the resulting rubout to be a bit coarser. The result is a tobacco that burns slowly, and often requires a relight. The flavor is zesty with a trace of spiciness (probably the Drama), and is best at a slow burn. It burns quite cool, but if puffed agressively loses some of the flavor nuances. It lights easily, starting out with a medium intensity of flavor, develops a more pronounced richness in the middle of the bowl, and ends just a bit tingly on the palate. I find that it needs to be dried a bit before it smokes properly, this seems to be a McClelland trait. It leaves a clean, white ash.