A balanced blend of Eastern and Middle belt Virginias aged in cakes to develop their natural sweetness. A zesty tobacco with rich undertones, coarse enough to smoke on windy days outdoors, but easily rubbed-out to suit any occasion.

Blended ByMcClelland Tobacco Company
Packaging50g Tin, 100g Tin
Strength
Taste

3.1
Inquisitor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Inquisitor (155)

Similar to, but more full-bodied than, McClelland #2010, this is a very unique, very American (in the good sense)bright Virginia blend. It is a pure-form tobacco, without flavoring, steaming, maturing, stoving, pressing or anything else that I could detect. It doesn't get fancy with red and black Virginias. It is simply a delicious, naturally sweet, zesty, tangy, toasty, refreshing, yellow/bright Virginia. It carries McClelland's signature ketchup/vinegar tin aroma proudly, plus a grassy, hay-like undercurrent. The room aroma is rich without being heavy or dark, lively but with substance. It goes without saying that something this bright and sweet can smoke hot unless slowly drawn, but for those who keep the rate down (or especially those who use the "Breath Smoking Technique"), the smoking experience is magical. The lemon-y zest keeps you honest! Only #2010 comes close in character (I find the often-compared Ashton Brindle Flake to be distinct from #22). In summary, the top range is the distinguishing feature of this blend, but is nicely supported by a toasty mid-range that grows richer and more predominant as the bowl progresses, in a wonderful way. The bass range exists more as a side-effect of the mid-range, and some might find this to be a distinct disadvantage. I don't, because the rest of the blend was so engrossing that I didn't notice the lack of lower tones until I actively began to look for them. If you are in the mood for a snappy, flavorful, tantalizing smoke, McClelland #22 is for you.

(PS - A year of aging puts this into another universe, increasing the rich, smooth & sweet elements while decreasing the bite danger.)

Nice looking mottled flake. This one combines natural VA sweetness with some mild zestiness. As mentioned by others, hard to get lit and needs some drying time. This one worked best for me with a decent amount of moisture content left - not dried to tinder. I preferred its taste that way, even though it didn't take a light as easily as I'd like.

Great flavor development down the bowl! This has a nice combination of high and low notes, whereas I found #27 to excel at high notes and #24 to excel at low notes. I suppose my taste must be in the lower, darker notes as I prefer #24 and Navy Cavendish to this, and this to #27. I haven't smoked #25 in years so I can't comment on that one yet, although I have a tin simmering.

Of the ones mentioned above, this one might be the best at the balancing act. It's a no-nonsense virginia that does everything right in the flavor department, not trying to do too much or too little. It's just right! I like this one but I prefer a little more "naughtiness", which is what I get from #24 and Navy Cav. Still, this is a high quality, good tasting straight VA and deserves a try.

Denevei Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Denevei (58)

This is the first Mac Baren tobacco I ever encountered. I go back and forth with it, sometimes liking it and sometimes not. Like most of their tobaccos, Vanilla Crème has a strong tin aroma, especially when freshly opened, of fermenting compost, but in this case it's vanilla fermenting compost. I've said before, though, that you sometimes have to ignore the tin aroma. The tobacco is a broken flake of heavily cased Virginia.

This is a good smoke when others are in the house. My impartial room note judge said that the fragrance is quite nice, kind of like having a vanilla candle burning in the room. Easily lit, the burn is smooth and fairly cool, especially for an aromatic; I suspect that this is due to the quality of the tobacco used. Once burning, the vanilla flavor is accompanied by a nice creaminess. Think of cream soda in a tobacco. There's nothing subtle about Vanilla Crème. I did find, though, that the flavor began to get a bit sour by the bottom of the bowl, and it doesn't DGT very well.

If you want a really good, high quality vanilla blend, go for either this or Sweet Vanilla Honeydew. I personally prefer SVH, but that could be because I smoked it first, and maybe because it has a bit more subtlety about it. Vanilla Crème is a good tobacco to smoke when others are around, especially if those others have a tendency to complain about "stinky" tobaccos.

Davetopay Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Davetopay (42)

Another of the blends I have been puffing away at, and meaning to review. Why haven't I? It hasn't moved me. There is absolute;y NOTHING wrong with this tobacco. I enjoy looking at it, touching it, smelling it, and smoking it. Would I go out of my way to buy it again? MAYBE. It's of the "can't hurt to have some on hand" class of straight VA's.

It is a very pretty, slightly broken, fairly thick cut flake presenting a wide range of colors from bright yellow to dense umber. The moisture was pretty close to spot on when I opened the tin( about 2 years old). I just crumble/fold some chunks into a pipe, rub a few strands out as kindling for the top, and light'er up.

The smell I find to be hit or miss based upon my mood, the weather, the alignment of the stars, and the timing of an obscure geyser in Iceland. Some days it smells EXACTLY like A1. Yes, A1 steak sauce, which paradoxically is the WORST thing anyone can do to/put on a steak. But it tends to work here. Whether this is the result of actual spicing used in the process, or just the result of these particular leaves and the chemical reaction which they present when dosed with the vinegar-voodoo juice at Mc C's, it lingers in the room note. Not bad, just different. Some of it comes through in the taste, but not much.

There isn't any bite, but there is a bit of a peppery tingle and spicy undertone. Almost all of the proper Virginia flavor and aroma components are there, but it never really grabs me and demands that I smoke it. Toffee, caramel,buttery pastry, it's all in there. No grassyness, no hay, no citrus. I wish it developed more, then I would have more to say about it.

I still have a tin of No. 25 on the shelf, dated May of 2009, so I have something to look forward to. It may be the family member that floats my boat.

cell biologist Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cell biologist (21)

This is a reference tobacco. It is coarsely cut and pressed into flakes that can be rubbed out or simply wadded up in a Frank-type side-pressure spin into the bowl. This tobacco is very similar to 2010, perhaps it is a longer aged version as some have suggested, but I detect richer notes from this than 2010. Both are very lemony with bright citrus notes - but only in the right pipe and at the right burn rate. When it burns too hot (and it can if you?re not careful!) burnt rubber notes can be gleaned, which I find to be generally true of the lemon virginias. No one likes that! But carefully smoked, this stuff is just marvelous, rich mahogany malty bass notes with a citrus top end. It took me awhile to notice and appreciate the citrus notes, in part because only a few pipes bring it out, in part because I wasn?t tuned in to the flavor. It?s best for me in a tall somewhat narrow bowl with a long draw or cooling stem of some kind (I just made a pipe of pyrolytic graphite that works very well with this). I call it a reference tobacco because it is the old style, old breed, simply prepared without additives, of very high quality.

I got a sample of this in the mail and found fairly dense broken flakes. I rubbed them out and smoked it in the Kirsten I am smoking Wessex Gold Brick in these days.

This is a mellow, full red Virginia flavor. It is a little "heavy" tasting, with just a little tart and sweet. I don't detect any topping at all, and there is no subtle latakia or izmir lurking in the background. I liked this as a straight Virginia smoke, and it is in the same class of tobacco as Wessex Gold Brick and McClelland 5100.

Pipe Used: 1/4 bent Kirsten

Age When Smoked: gift from friend

Purchased From: sample from friend

McC does fine Virginias , and this is no exception. I find this a little more on the mature stoved side than the light bright side. Somewhat reminds me in flavor of GLP Union Square but darker in looks. Better rubbed out and allowed to breathe some. I'd buy again.

PD71 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PD71 (1)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Unnoticeable

I am new to pipe smoking, and certainly new to reviewing tobacco. My experience to this point is mainly with aromatics, so this is my first real non aromatic tobacco. And I like it!! The tin note is definitely along the lines of roasted tomatoes, vinegar, and ketchup. Not my favorite smells to get out of the tin. However, the smoke seems fairly complex - I do get some roasted tomatoes to taste, but also leather and hay. It burned very well and offered an extremely long and cool smoke. No tongue bite for me. A very nice tobacco that gets 3.5 stars from me. I will absolutely keep some of this on hand.

My tin is vintage 1997, and I don't think I can add much to what others have said except to say: another winner from McClelland's Matured Virginia series!

They have a lot in common anyway, but the main similarity is just in the overall quality of these American Virginias, and McClelland's excellent selection and treatment of them.

TK Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TK Pipe (101)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

McC #22 Virginia … A tasty, somewhat rubbed out Virginia flake blend of the best of America's Virginias. The moisture level is about ideal, but I aired my tin out some, maybe just from habit, but the result was a real decent smoke. There was some sweetness and a good measure of that milder smooth Virginia tang. Due to the coarser texture, I found bowl packing can be a little tricky unless rubbed out some, but overall IMO #22 is a real keeper. I found this tobacco bite free, with only a bit of the typical Va. tongue tingle, but overall a easy going smoke. For those reasons this tobacco (IMO) could be candidate for as all day smoke, but I save this blend (and others) for my evening smokes, when I have time to get into my sip and taste mode. For those that enjoy the taste of a straight aged Virginia, I sure would recommend you try this one.

P.S. This blend is not without use as a blender.

Katharsis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Katharsis (39)

As per usual, McClelland produces another great VA. Tin note is of course the ketchup/vinegar smell, which of course does not carry over to the smoke.

This one is probably the most unique VA I've tasted. It changed a couple times throughout the bowl. About mid-bowl or a little after mid-bowl, the flavor became very rich and was probably the most multi-dimensional flavor I've experience in a VA. It was sweet, a little leathery, floral, some sort of spice, and of course a little hay-like all at the same time.

Another thing to notice is the room note. I usually don't care about this, as I smoke on my commute to and from work, or while I'm reading outside on the porch or deck. But I had smoked this outside at a friend's house, and another friend, who actually has an allergic-type aversion to scents, liked this smell on me. Also, I will try to occasionally get a clue at the room note simply by smelling the bowl while I'm smoking -- probably not the most accurate way. However, this one smelled great when I did that. Just sweet and slightly floral. I don't like floral tasting tobaccos (see: Lakeland), but the slight floral notes I've mentioned in this review are not like that at all, so don't be turned off when you read that if you're like me.

Overall, this is a great VA. Maybe not the best, but it definitely gets four stars so far from me. Let's see if it stays that way throughout the tin. (And, of course, as per almost all McClellands, a couple days of waiting after you open it is best.)

carolina kid Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
carolina kid (17)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

This is a wonderful Virginia flake with more dark, sweet flavors than the kind of hay-like flavors found in brighter Virginia flakes.

Rich, creamy smoke. Rich, natural tobacco flavor with distinct notes of clove. Also notes of leather and cedar. Moderately careful technique precludes any tongue bite.

Not overly complex, but full flavored and satisfying from start to finish. Mildly sweet with moderate nicotine.

Like most flakes, a little drying and rubbing out is beneficial.

NA Morrison Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NA Morrison (32)

a well aged virgina flake this was my first tinned tobacco i got and found it to be enjoyable. it does have the mcclelland vinger and catsup smell but dont let that scent fool you it is a great smoke and really dresses up the the virgina nicely

NA Morrison Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NA Morrison (32)

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (120)

A very tasty blend, well balanced with a minimum preservative smell off the tin. Zesty and slightly tangy yet it never bites. Easily a perfect all day tobacco for Virginia aficionados who prefer a genuine, unchanging, rich taste.

Requiem Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Requiem (36)

This Virginia is a tasty, zesty one. It has an acidic, fresh note.

Problem here is the high maintenance it demands. If really dried out it takes light well, but looses some flavour. If not completely dry, it tastes great but is very hard to keep burning.

al1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
al1 (58)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

This one is good if you are looking for straight va taste without much else but good high end flavor. I like the flavor. I do find it more enjoyable outdoors. I agree with another reviewer it needs drying as do all the tobaccos in this series. When properly rubbed and dried it lights and burns ok but harder to light than average.

Not as memorable as #27 but a good smoke for those prefering the high clean end of va flavor spectrum. A good one for those new to the flakes I think. It is nowhere near as touchy as #27 but it has nowhere the flavor or kick either.

Not for me too often but it is good for those liking this sort of flake.

Room note was commented to me to smell good, something like pastry in the oven or toaster. This was said by someone who is sensitive to stinky blends.

Update: I am turning to this and #24 much more often lately. I love #27 but I disagree with the tin label that #27 is a great all day smoke. This blend is much more tameable and less quick to hurt your tongue. #27 is so good but it requires too much pampering to get a great smoke.

I got sent a savinelli 804 canadian instead of the pipe I ordered from the store and that by chance was one of the best mistakes ever made. That pipe is proving itself to be a great smoker- one of the best ever up there with my ardors. This blend and other va's are sublime out of this pipe. In fact it is one of those that I think would smoke anything well. My point- this blend shines in a pipe that suits it.

Second update: This lost it's 4th star after I found the wonderful world of Greg Pease tobacco's.

fourshephards Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fourshephards (51)

I am going to keep this brief. #22 has everything I look for in a Virginia tobacco. It lights well, when allowed to dry a bit, and stays lit. The flavor at the match is a little sweet and grassy but this develops beautifully as the bowl is consumed. After about 1/2 bowl, #22 becomes rich and sweet with a little spiciness that plays in and out. The only thing left at the bottom of the bowl is a grey/white ash with absolutely no goop. I love this blend.

Jay

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is the least favorite of the McClelland matured VAs I have tried to date. The distinct vinegar smell was overwhelming in my tin. Despite letting it air out and ?re-age? for another several weeks, it didn?t mitigate the vinegar smell. A little harsh at first light, it settles down into a decent VA smoke for a while then ?turns south.? The flavor seems to dissipate, it loses ?punch,? and becomes moderately harsh. And unlike some other reviewers here, I thought its burning qualities were marginal.

A cigarette is to be smoked. A cigar is to be enjoyed. A pipe is to be savored.

I rate this tobacco 6.5 out of 10.

Semois Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Semois (18)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Opening the tin, a smell of fermentation and dried apricots. None of them detected while smoking it. On his best in the first half of the bowl (then a little hint of the fermentation). I prefer it otherwise. At the end the spiceness dominates too much. Is it a bad-tasting tobacco ? Not really. But as I use the star-qualification very strict, I can't say that I recommend it.

Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

A smooth and flavorful straight Virginia. This is from a three year old tin so a new one may not be as tasty and bite-free. The spousal unit was especially critical of the after-smell of my clothing. I on the other hand enjoyed it thoroughly. Highly recommended.

Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

Smell of sour prune jam and pear, very yummy. Broken flakes, very easy to load, maybe a little rubbed out. Lights and smokes very easily and dry. A very good tobacco, tasty (sweet, sour and spicy) and not bitey (though my tin was 3 years old, so YMMV). Not as distinctive and memorable as 27, but solid and reliable.

The Keeper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Keeper (112)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

I'm not a connoisseur of straight VA blends. I've only tasted a few and they keep my interest less than VA/P and Latakia blends. This leaf is quite nice. More solid and varied flavor at the top of the bowl...a bit... coarse through out the later portions. Towards the end a little bland. I found it pretty well behaved, but my sample is quite (nicely) dry. Burns very evenly and good thick cut.

Blackhorse Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blackhorse (70)

I plan to come back and fill in a bit more when I have more of the tin finished but thought I might note here that I had stumbled on a six year-old tin of No. 22 in a local shop. Opening revealed the flakes to be in excellent condition...many coated with a fine sugar dusting...or might this be bloom? At any rate it was easily rubbed to a coarse texture, put into a handy 2001 Peterson's 4th of July Dublin A4...and the result was close to heaven. Smooth, sweet, spicy, just a delight! It burned well with only a few re-lights to the bottom of the bowl...the flavor deepening as the bowl progressed. I need to go back and rummage around that shop more often!

prison chaplain Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
prison chaplain (38)

After reading several favorable reviews of #22 and 2010, I bought a tin of #22. I enjoyed it a great deal, enough to buy a pound of 2010, to which #22 is often compared. Having compared the two, #22 is a smoother, more refined smoke. My tongue starts to warm up quicker with the 2010. Room note is always a tricky one. I find the smoke from a good Virginia or Virginia/Perique very pleasant and satisfying. No. 22 also reminds me of a new blend from Bufflehead, Virginia Ruddy Duck. I like #22 enough to buy another tin in the future. With 2015 and 2010 available in bulk, those are my default tobaccos.

Nimrod nailed it for me. Stinky, nasty stuff. And stogie is more of a man than I am for having gulped down a whole tin. One bowl was all I could manage, and that was a struggle.

Hot, smelly, rough and steamy. What's to like here?

Well, it did burn well.

Nimrod Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nimrod (29)
Medium None Detected Medium Unnoticeable

This is the second McC VA I have tried, and like the first one (Dark Star) this one annoys the hell out of me.

Like Dark Star, opening the tin is like opening a bottle of 99% acetic acid. The vinegar fumes are so strong they need to put a label on this warning you that it should only be opened in a chemlab inside a fume hood. This is just nuts... what the heck are they putting on this?

I let this thing dry out for several weeks with the top on and it still didn't loose enough of this vinegar smell/flavor. So finally I rubbed it all out to a broken flake consistency and let it dry for a few days with the top completely off. Finally it became smokable. However to be smokable this stuff needs to be bone dry. I don't like tobacco that has to be crispy-dry in order to be smokable and this whole vinegar issue really bugs me.

After all this trouble I'm rewarded with a mediocre virginia at best. A little sweet, a bit of spice, but I'd much rather have a tin of Patriot Flake than this

Stogie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stogie (26)

As I load up my last remaining bowl of VA No.22 from McClelland, I feel I have done this tobacco proper service by smoking an entire tin before reviewing. (As I always do!). As a self-professed lover of VA Flakes, and one that finds most of the McClelland product divine, I was not nearly as impressed with this tobacco as I had hoped to be, or as most of the previous reviewers were. I purchased VA No. 22 along with tins of VA No. 24, St. James Woods and Dark Star, of which I will have reviews posted soon. This was my least favorite of the four.

Visual: A dark brown flake, with lots of yellow and gold streaks throughout. My tin contained mainly broken flake, no full "sheets".

Texture: As with most McClelland flakes, this one was just a little moist upon opening, but I like it that way. I let this tin get fairly dry over the three months that I took to get through it, and as it became dryer it lost that VA tang to a large extent. Even upon proper rehydration, the wonderful tanginess of VA never returned.

Pack/Pipe: I smoke this both partially rubbed and fully rubbed. Usually I preferred the latter. Gravity fed into a number of my VA pipes, (Ashton XX oldchurch and Pebblegrain pots, Nording freehands, Dunhill Redbark Poker etc...) This seemed to burn best with a light hand.No problems smoking this to bottom of the bowl with minimal relights.

Lighting/Burn: Two matches to char, one to light. Without fail, this tobacco needed a relight within the first third of the bowl, but then makes it almost to the bottom. Burns to bottom and leaves a white/grey ash with a few bits of charred tobacco.

1st 3rd: This tobacco is definitely most flavorful in this portion of the bowl. VA tang is here as well as a nice earthy sweetness. Smokes through this portion quickly and with nice mouthfuls of white smoke.

2nd 3rd: Burn rate slows down here. Smoke becomes a little cooler and flavor evens out to a natural VA taste with just a little tang. If it had more zip here I would rate this higher. Never needed additional matches in this portion.

Final 3rd: Have lost a lot of flavor here. Almost no VA tang at all, minimum smoke generation, and need stirred and relit with some frequency. Maybe I am tamping this too firmly, but evidently my consistency is amazing, because it happens every time!

Notes: Like all McClelland flakes, I have no issues with the quality. This just did not stack up to the benchmark set by St. James Woods and VA No.24 in my opinion.

Stogie rating of: 5 Fair Fonsecas

SlowDraw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SlowDraw (23)

Overall & after smoking quite a few ounces of this stuff I would say that this & 2015 are my favourite Va flakes, 22 has that McClelland Venom & zest which splits pipesmokers in half- into love it or hate it camps that is. 22 has as much bite as the best of 'em, having it's share of yellow leaf- But if appreciated slowly you won't harm yourself( I've got a sensitive tongue but it won't bite me with proper technique) . Another thing about this blend is it's High range sweetness, you can't even detect it some smokes, other times you can. BUT when the moon is full.... ( joke..sorta) never boring though & as said before - outstanding with a few beers. * I've recently opened a 3 year old tin & in comparison to a younger tin there is more sweetness & toastiness but the bite-threshold seems about the same.

disclaimer: review updated & some liberties taken .

pittacus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pittacus (6)

For the lovers of VA's-- myself included-- a 'must try' blend as we make our way through the taste-gauntlet of the world's innumerable tobaks.

This is a good day starter, no shock to the system, no real surprises.

It is the lack of that certain something else that keeps this blend from receiving a higher rating.

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)

Nicely cut orange-red flakes, neither too thin nor too heavy. Easy to rub out to any degree. Initial aroma is usual vinegar, but airing it out solves his, and allows thee tobacco to burn cooler and drier. The initial taste is a good sweet basic Va., with not much complexity. As it settles down, there are layers of flavor developing and playing with your palate. An excellent choice for an all-day virginia.

Cooksmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cooksmoke (29)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is my first posted review. It is by no means my first tobacco, I just happen to be smoking it right now.

Virginia # 22 is typical of McClelland Virginias, full of red and dark stoved tobbaccos with small streaks of yellows.

The tin smell is that strange McClelland only aroma so often read of. But as time passes after the tin is opened, the zesty Virginia aroma shines through.

This tobacco, because of its flake cut, is ideal for a multipurpose tobacco. It is easily rubbed out for indoors smoking. It is equally up to the task of outdoor smoking.

The taste is one of spice and sweet. As I am a barbeque cook and cook alot outside with wood, I am most reminded of that aroma with this tobacco. Its taste is like the smell of good sauce on the coals, sweet yet tangy.

I recommend this for anyone who has a taste for the outdoors, spicy foods and honest Virginia

sethg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sethg (5)
Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

Virginia #22 arrives in 2-3 inch flakes, medium to dark brown, with lighter golden striping. As expected, the McClelland 'Heinz ketchup' odor is in full effect, though I don't find this off-putting.

As of this review, I have smoked it fully rubbed-out, 'sausage-rolled', and cut, against the grain, into small squares. I have found the last to be the best preparation in terms of ease of lighting and coolness in smoking. (Occasionally, I use some aged 5100 as kindling to aid in lighting as well.)

The flavor alternates between a subdued, toasted sweetness and a more astringent 'tobacco' flavor. I never find the nicotine presence to be overwhelming, but often notice it once I have finished the bowl.

As others have noted, #22 has a tendency to bite enthusiastic puffers; some aging is sure to take care of such concerns.

Sceny Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sceny (66)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Vinegar, anyone? This being the first McClelland Virginia I ever tried, I was somewhat surprised at the odor that greeted me when I popped the top of the can. As another reviewer has mentioned, it's an odor that one either loves or hates. Some say it smells like ketchup; have any of you eaten any recently? Exactly what have you been smoking?? Ketchup isn't even close! Oh well, each person's tastes are different; that's what makes life interesting :-). Personally, I like the smell, and it doesn't come through in the tobacco's flavor at all. This blend comes in medium to large flakes, dark brown with veins of lighter, yellowish-brown running through them. They are a little moist, but rub out easily and pack well. Once rubbed out, they light easily, though this blend seems to require more relights then average once into the bowl. I usually smoke this blend in a very large-bowled Savinelli estate billiard, with a tobacco chamber diameter of about 1.5 inches. If I need to stop partway through the bowl due to tongue bite, I can rest and pick up the pipe again with no loss of flavor. The first third of the bowl is sweet, especially if smoked slowly. Actually, slowly is the only way you CAN smoke this tobacco, unless you enjoy crisped tongue and mouth. To avoid the bite, I find I need to puff carefully, barely getting anything from the stem at all. This certainly contributes to multiple relights, but it also is where this blend shines. The light puffs deliver a sweet, flavorful smoke that makes the effort worthwhile. As the bowl moves into its second 1/3, the flavor becomes more rich and complex, though the sweetness stays present. Toward the last third, the sweetness and richness merge somewhat, forming a complex and satisfying flavor that has an even greater tendency to bite. Care is needed! Also toward the end, some moisture is present, and it may be necessary to run a pipe cleaner down the stem of the pipe. Unlike Latakia mixes, going back to a bowl later on does not adversely effect the tobacco's taste. This is fortunate, because frequently it will take three sessions to smoke a large bowl of this blend. Overall, this is a pleasant smoke that requires time for careful concentration for full enjoyment. While not my favorite McClelland Virginia, it is nice as a change of pace, when I'm in a sweet Virginia mood. In addition, I believe that leaving the tin open for a couple weeks may help to solve the moisture problem; more results to come.