A balanced, old style medium mixture, its robust flavor due to liberal use of Middle and Eastern Belt Orange Virginias. This invigorating all day or outdoor tobacco is both satisfying and refreshing.

Blended ByMcClelland Tobacco Company
Blend TypeOriental
Packaging50g Tin, 100g Tin
Strength
Taste
2.7
RMBittner Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RMBittner (66)

This review is based on a 2002 tin, opened 3/30/2010, so it may not be a wholly accurate reflection of what you'd find in a brand-new tin.

This is an oriental-forward Oriental/Virginia blend, augmented with what I suspect is just the tiniest touch of latakia. The Virginias are of McClelland's typical high quality, and the Orientals are rich and pungent and always at the forefront. With only a label change, this blend would fit very well in the company's great "Grand Orientals" line.

Again, I can't comment on what's currently being sold as Oriental #6. But I can say that this version of the blend is well-made and delicious, if you like pungent Orientals. There is little or no latakia -- I'm smoking it in pipes well-seasoned with latakia, so I can't honestly say one way or the other -- so this is much more in the line of Red Rapparee and Presbyterian Mixture (although I find it smoother than either of those blends, which can occasionally tend toward harsh, if you're not careful), and McClelland's own Grand Orientals: Yenidje Supreme.

If you like rich Virginias and beautifully handled, pungent Orientals, then I think you'll like this one very much. Just come prepared to experience it for what it is. (Some reviewers seem to be disappointed that the blend isn't something it was never intended to be: a balkan, an English, a latakia blend, etc., etc.)

Note: One early reviewer noted that aging had increased the presence of the Orientals in the blend. That might explain why so many other reviewers comment on the Orientals being too far in the background while others -- myself included -- found it to be quite Oriental-forward in character. (My tin had eight years of age on it.)

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The previous review is almost spot on, although I would call it a "good" VA rather than an "outstanding" one. Still, McClellands produces virginias much better to my palate than this one, and without latakia. If I wanted one of those, I would have bought one. For this one I wanted more of a latakia and oriental flavor but those tastes are too light in this blend. I also think there might be a hint of black cavendish in this mix.

This burns and smokes cleanly and produces a nice gray ash at bowl's end. The tin aroma was quite nice and the taste was fine indeed, just not what I was hoping for. I liked it slightly better than their #8, as it seemed to have more body and slightly more flavor. If you like your orientals on the lighter side, this is one to sample. If you like 'em heavier, skip this and go straight to British Woods or Bombay Court Extra.

JimInks (2058)

The orange Virginias offer a lightly tangy, dark fruitiness with a bit of earth, a little citrus, and a few blades of grass. The woody, buttery sweet and sour, floral, lightly spicy Oriental is a little more than a condiment, but never quite manages to be a supporting player. The smoky, woody sweet Cyprian latakia has a continual background presence. The strength and nicotine are in the center of mild to medium. Won’t bite or get harsh, but does have a rough edge here and there. Burns cool and clean at slightly slow pace with a fairly consistent flavor, though it does suffer a mite from lack of depth and nuance. Leaves little moisture in the bowl, and needs a few relights. Has an okay, mildly savory and lightly floral after taste. Is close to an all day smoke for the experienced smoker. Two and a half stars.

rsvp2rip Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rsvp2rip (27)

As I'm working towards the bottom of this tin, I have to say that I really like it but I wish there was just a bit more Latakia. I am currently chugging through a pound of #2020 that has an unusually high Latakia note and I love it. I really just want a ribbon version of #2020 and although #6 is not it, it is still one I enjoy.

Original review 6/1/14: Has similarites to Bulk #2020 only no lemon viginias and ready rubbed. I like it less than 2020 but it is good for when you don't want to mess around with broken flakes. Perfect moisture level out of the tin and burns beautifully without the need for relights. Also it doesn't seem to be very popular so the chance you get a tin with soom age is very good.

Pipe Used: various

Similar Blends: McClelland bulk #2020.

A. Morley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
A. Morley (93)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Tolerable to Strong

The contents of this blend are a bit obscure to me. I wish I knew what sorts of Orientals it contained, this is always nice to know. I also would very much like to know it there is any black cavendish contained herein, as I swore that I could taste it sometimes, but could never be sure.

If there indeed be black cavendish in this blend, I would call it a Scotish, if no, a medium to light English. Either way, it is not a remarkable representative of either style. The Virginia base is nice, though not the best McClelland's has to offer. I do so wish that they would employ some of their fine red Virginia leaf in an English blend. These Eastern Belt Orange Virginias they seem so proud of do not burn as hot as I had expected. The condimental leaf is its downfall for me. They assert themselves only mildly throughout a pipefull, always nearly overwhelmed by the sweetness of the Virginia and always leaving me wishing I could taste them more.

All and all, this mixture demonstrates for me that to make a mild to medium English blend that seems worth smoking is a very difficult thing indeed. I can think of only four or five that manage this and Oriental No. Six is not among them.

Regards, A. Morley Jaques

Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

The dominant leaf here is Virginia. It is very fragrant and middle of the road in strength in flavor. The Orientals really come to the forefront with this blend and the pot is sweetened by its presence. The Latakia is a background player, and typically top-shelf as all McClelland's Latakia tobacco seems to be.

Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

I snagged an old tin of this off ebay for a song without knowing much about the tin. It was right around 9 yrs old when I popped the 100 g tin. I jarred up half and just finished the other half at deer camp last week.

This is a standard VLO Balkan type blend with the orientals out front. I really wish I knew what orientals were used in this blend. My overall impression is that this is a nice, but quite mild blend. I would put this in the camp of EMP or villiger early day and somewhere between the two in preference. All this to say that it is a fine morning smoke with a cup of coffee.

The Virginia is nice and sweet as to be expected coming from McClelland with 9 yrs of age on it. The latakia is very light, but its presence can still be sensed. This blend is nice, but it is far from earth shattering and can get a little boring in its inoffensiveness. One thing for sure is it won't bite and it smokes cool and for some odd reason I am looking forward to finishing the jarred remainder of it. Maybe I liked it more than I thought. Three stars.

Age When Smoked: 9yrs

Purchased From: ebay

Similar Blends: EMP.

LannarkGent Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LannarkGent (105)
Medium Medium Full Pleasant

I tend to shy away from oriental blends. This one I like very much because it seems to break the mold when one contemplates orientals.

The tangy sweetness of the orientals tantalizes my taste buds.The Virginias add a note of sweetness, The other tobaccos, and yes, there is some Latakia, make this a distinct and complex blend.

Like many truly complex blends, A clean pipe and a slow uncluttered moment provides the ideal setting to savor this fine blend. Smoke this blend slowly, and all of the fine complexity will dance across one's palette in the most delightful manner. Try it. You will like it.

cell biologist Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cell biologist (21)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

I bought this because I was visiting Phoenix and Ye Olde Pipe and Tobacco Shoppe had an 11-year old tin. This tin was my first experience with latakia ? my first oriental blend. On opening the tin I saw evidence for plume or bloom on the hard, dark smoky flakes, a fine whitish powder that is thought to be oils rising to the surface and precipitating. The tin smell was rich and smoky, and the latakia smoky flavor comes through on the first light. The smoky flavor diminishes, or saturates, and by the halfway mark the tobacco flavor predominates. The oriental notes remind me of strolling through a middle-eastern spice bazaar. The blend indeed ?stout? ? the oriental flavors are intense, and yet the Virginia flavor comes through, especially in the second half of the bowl. In my first experiences, sometimes I really liked this blend, at other times it seemed slightly off balance. I think this could in part be due to my ability to calibrate the rate of combustion throughout the journey from the top to the bottom of the bowl. ? I have since sampled a few other oriental mixtures, and the more I sample, the more I appreciate Oriental #6. I find that I enjoy the complexity, the intensity of flavor, and especially the virginia finish. I really like the way virginia tobacco flavors build to their peak flavor in the last part of the bowl. A spicy tobacco with a McClelland virginia finish - this is a good thing.

Captain Pete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Captain Pete (83)

I'm not a huge fan of McClelland blends, but have managed to find a few that really do it for me. I believe that this one may become one of the few McClellands that I keep around, if even only for an occasional smoke.

Popping the top on this six year old tin elicited no ketchup aroma; good deal. The smell was of mature va.s, delicately laced with oriental and latakia. Rather than the smokiness of a heavy latakia blend, this stuff is faintly perfumey. But not in the way that lakeland flakes are perfumey. It just smelled very pleasant in the tin, and it was also the perfect humidity for smoking right out of the tin. Guess six years is the mark for McClellands (actually, Mike says five years aging is optimum).

Lighting was accomplished with ease, and once it was going it stayed lit. I would describe the room aroma as 'gentle' rather than pleasant. There was a tiny bit of virginia acridity, but it was very subdued. Everything else about the aroma was full bodied but pleasant; gentle.

I found the flavor to be just like the tobacco smelled. It was lightly perfumed (naturally from the orientals), mildly tangy, and just a remenisce of sweetness. Again, as with the smell, the latakia that I know must be in there, remained so unobtrusive as to be unnoticable.

This mixture is really well executed. McClellands managed to strike a really good balance with the virginias and the orientals, providing a smoke that is surprisingly invigorating on the palate without being "in your face" full of flavor. It's mild disposition means that the smoker will not experience tongue bite, and it is not so heavily laced with latakia that it will grow tiring as a daily smoke.

SlowDraw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SlowDraw (23)

#6 seems like a decent daily smoke. Is quite smooth despite a strong orange VA sugary zest to it which sometimes reminds me of 2015, A bit of an oily spiciness I detect as the orientals & a background leatheriness from the latakia which as mentioned is used sparingly, for me a good thing. ALL In all A tasty oriental blend which is farely VA-feisty, with a trace of their trademark bite ( the McClelland residual tongue tenderness- usually from too casual a smoke )despite the smoothness. the tin I received was from circa 1997 & covered in resin crystals, great tin aroma, I'll probably buy more.

The Latakia is light lending a modest amount of smoky flavor. The Virginias are sweet lending a nice fruity note. The Orientals are dull, almost bland, and are very nondescript. Not much else to say about this one. It's not terrible, but it has no character at all. It may be a shade better than the one star I'm giving it, but I see no reason to recommend it to anyone.

Mild to medium in body and flavor. Burns well.

Pipe Used: MM Country Gentleman, Diplomat Apple, Mark Twain

samwrighteous Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
samwrighteous (1)
Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant

I love this tobacco. To me it tastes sweet and complex. It smokes dry and slow for me inside and out. Stays lit very well. Its one of my favorites.

Pipeorgan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeorgan (7)

I really enjoy this blend, although not as much as oriental #8, it still warrrants 4 stars especially in in terms of its' smokeability. Many other ¨good¨ tobaccos don´t hold up in this department in the long run, especially esoteric (the word, not the company) offerings. As the tin description states, #6 both invigorates and relaxes. I find Mcclelland virginas to smoke particularly cleanly and do not tire me out or give me that bogged down feeling after I smoke them as do many other tobaccos. This is a down side of pipe smoking for me, which #6 does not produce.

I just popped a can which is over 10 years old and have been enjoying the tangy fruitiness of the orange virginias and beautifully melded condiment tobaccos. When I puff this very slowly the complex flavor nuances are revealed to my palate in a way that is delightful. It really opens up with slow, delicate puffing.

Not unlike a good cigar, this stuff has tons of flavor that is delivered to the palate with each sip. It tastes nothing like a cigar, but in terms of quantity of cool flavor delivery, an area where cigars normally surpass pipes, there is a similarity.

Darth 69 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth 69 (99)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

The green label of blends from McClelland I think are quite unique and excellent. These are scotish/english orietal blends that are differnt from traditional ones like Rattray's. They are sweeter, more round in flavor with a distictive aroma that is characteristicly "McClelland." As for this blend there is a trace of that vinegary tang with a distinctive tin aroma I think is largely derrived from their propietary black/stoved cavendish common throughout the green label line and others. Predominately a base of viginia ribbon followed by the black stoved/cavendish with a smidgen of oriental and latikia. This is a rich and satisfying blend due to the large proportion of it's virgina base which translate to an appreciable amount of nicotine similarly found in VA flakes. For the smoker who wants a variation on traditional scottish blends with condimental leaf in the back seat.

-Recomended

Briarabbit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Briarabbit (116)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

I purchased this from my local Tobacconist who had it on a shelf for probaly five years. The tin was covered in smoke residue,and I noted the bottom of the tin was marked 1997. I figured the tobacco would probaly be most deliteful,and it was. Opening the tin I liked the wide ribbon cut,and big broad cut,of the leaves. The smell was big Virginia, musty, sweet, kinda tangy.I could not pick the latakia smell out at all, but the mellow smell was the tobacco as a whole,all instruments playing a mellow tune. It packed very well,and made fire with two lights. The first few draws were an opening of tender mellow soft Virginia with that faint echo of the Latakia.The backy smoked slow,and was lightly smokey creamy,and very fragrant.I was convinced I had found a jewel in this tin.

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)

Appearance: A nicely variegated ribon cut. Mostly red leaf, with some dark Latakia and lighter Oriental evident.

Aroma: Average English bouquet, sweet and smokey and spicey.

Packing: Packed well in medium and large pipes, not tried in small bowls.

Lighting: Lights well, but not exceptionally so. Always needed a charring light.

Initial flavor: Good red Va. Flavor initially, followed by the others very shortly. Not exceptional flavor.

Mid-bowl: To my palae, the red Va. Seemed to dominate the blend. The Turkish and Latakia were present, but in the background. To me, this is a ?lightly seasoned? blend, but one with moderate strength.

Finish: Finishes well, dry and clean with fluffy ash.

Summary: An ordinary English blend. Pleasant enough, but one I will not seek out

HabaneroHardy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HabaneroHardy (26)
Mild Mild Mild Unnoticeable

I opened a can of McClelland's Mixture No. 6 dated 2008 that I had purchased years ago. I found that it smoked cool and pleasant. Maybe because I have smoked stronger tobacco in the past I found this to be really mild. For me, not much Latakia detected. I try to evaluate each blend on its own rather than does it fit in a certain category. I have smoked about 5 bowls and haven't been invigorated yet as tin description but good nonetheless.

Pipe Used: TC FULLER GRADE 3 POKER

Purchased From: JR TOBACCO

pipinNfishin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipinNfishin (21)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

I have a hard time recommending this blend. McClelland is renown for their virginia blends. They have a character that is identified with McClelland virginia blends. Here we have an oriental blend. The main tobacco are the virginias. The other tobaccos seem to be a condimental amount of oriental and latakia. So here is the dilemma. As a virginia based blend, that is smoked slowly. It is outstanding. The oriental tobaccos and latakia present the virginia well. My 4-year old tin smoked dry and controlled, because I smoked as a virginia blend. However, if this blend is smoked as a latakia heavy english blend. The virginia characteristic becomes muddled; the blend appears as an insipid english blend.

So, if you like virginia blends this is a four star blend. If however you are a balkans blend smoker, pass.

Inquisitor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Inquisitor (155)

#6 is an interesting blend. Mostly Virginia, there is a light Latakia component as well. My 1997 tin was disappointing, especially since McClelland Virginias generally age so well. I believe the Virginia DID age well, but not the Latakia, and that tainted the delicacy of the blend just enough to make it smoke monotonously. I have tried this in a newly-purchased tin, and it is quite a bit better. Still, I'll stick with Orthodoxy when I want a light Latakia blend.

BostonPipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BostonPipe (83)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I have been smoking this blend off and on for years now. I liken it to a low-key conversation with an old friend. I recently opened a tin of this blend from 95' and noted subtle differences from the usual one to two year old tins of this blend that I normally smoke. The additional aging seems to have brought the orientals up to almost the level of the Virginians. The overall effect seems to one of increased smoothness with an increase in strength of flavor, (especially in the Virginians). After smoking this older tin I will definitely buy more to celler for a longer term then usual.

Solar Pons Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Solar Pons (8)
Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant

I am 3/4 of the way through a tin of No. 6 and this tobacco has yet to impress me. I find it a fairly innocuous blend. The condimental leaf gets lost in almost any size bowl. The Virginia base is pleasant enough, but lacking something. McClelland offers straight Virginias which I prefer to the base in No. 6. With this being said, I did manage to have a fairly enjoyable smoke with this blend in a tall thin-bowled Ser Jacopo.