A balanced blend of rich, dark maduro cigar leaf and matured red and stoved Virginia tobaccos. The perfect pipe tobacco for the connoisseur of maduro cigars who enjoy pipes. Pressed into cakes and aged to develop characteristics and marry the flavors, then cut in flakes to be rubbed out to the smoker's personal preference.

Blended ByMcClelland Tobacco Company
Taste

Sinister Topiary Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sinister Topiary (84)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

DGM is the first cigar blend I've tried that gets it right. As MDP in his excellent review points out, this cigar blend does not have any latakia, which I believe is the secret to its success. In the cigar blends I've tried, the smokiness of the latakia works against the distinctive tones of the cigar leaf, destroying the harmony of the constituent elements. McClelland was inspired to stick with virginias to complement the cigar leaf, and they produced a masterpiece.

The maduro is present in exactly the right amount, a darkly sweet condiment with just the right amount of tang to complement the other flavors. Indeed the balance is perfect between the maduro, the red virginia, and the stoved virginia, each one singing its own melody, yet always singing together in harmony. (I suppose I would consider this a most contrapuntal blend!) It's a lovely experience.

Which means that this is not a blend to smoke in passing, because it's not that enjoyable if you're not paying attention. This is something to be sipped and savored slowly and with some concentration. You don't drink a dignified Islay malt like it was a watered down J&B. (Or, to carry our music metaphor further, if you're going to listen to JS Bach, listen to JS Bach...)

I know from experience. My first few bowls were a marvel of flavors. As I started taking the blend for granted, it lost its magic as the flavors blurred together into something a bit too sharp, even unpleasant and bitey. That's because I sped up my smoking rhythm, treating it like a drugstore blend to be huffed. Once I slowed down again and gave it the respect it deserved, the magic returned. Basically, if you do not approach this blend with the respect it warrants, it will not respect you in return.

Not recommended for a mindless smoke; Highest recommendation for a mindful one.

MDP Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MDP (39)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I cannot disagree with the tin description, as DGM delivers on all counts. I have smoked a fresh tin and five-year aged. Ten year old, 100 gram tins are waiting for a 20th birthday coming out party. I prefer this to the very good Dominican Glory. DGM is richer, fuller, and the flake cut makes for a cool, slow burn.

The five year old tin I am reviewing is spectacular. What an aroma wafted from the freshly opened tin! Curry more than ketchup, lively and warm, this was a great moment all by itself. Moisture level was just right to pack a bowl and go. I do not rub out the flakes, but organize them into a ready to burn nugget.

After a lengthy charring light, I let this sit for a minute or two and then fire for real. DGM is ready at the match with spicy and sweet flavors, but is still more savory than dessert. A creaminess developed five minutes into the smoke and the flavors kept migrating within a medium range of flavors- spice, tang, cream, leather, in and out. The cigar leaf is most pronounced in the aftertaste and side stream smoke. The room note shows the high quality tobacco and handling McClelland puts into their tinned offerings.

Like most Virginia flakes, DGM is best smoked slowly, tobacco just smoldering. This will DGT okay, but really not overnight for my tastes. I chalk that up to the cigar leaf, as other cigar-leaf pipe tobacco blends. I think part of the "glory" of this blend is that it does NOT have Latakia, as does just about every other cigar blend available. I like many such blends, but without DGM, there would be a large, sad void in blends.

A brief note on the fresh tin. Very similar flavor profile and aroma. Moisture level must be reduced from tactile moisture and the pipe packed a little loose. Really, both fresh and aged, this is an all-time favorite out of hundreds of blends smoked.

Deimitori Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Deimitori (11)

I got this nice tobacco as a gift by my good friend Argyris ("Erinmore") from "pipeclub.gr - Hellenic Pipe Smokers Forum" who he gave me a tin of 100 grams and whom I warmly thank him a lot!

Broken flakes consisting of mature red virginia tobacco and stoved virginia tobacco and autoclaved by adding maduro leaf tobacco . By opening the tin I feel intense and pleasant a sense of vinegar. The well known ketchup taste of McClelland is present in a less tense in this blend.

This is a unique tobacco blend. In my opinion the "secret" is to be smoked with very a calm and slow manner and giving attention to realizing the "rounded" taste and complexity of flavors that can give us. So, sweet and pleasant notes of virginia tobaccos with a touch of sweet nuts, brown sugar and old paper and wood and earthy aroma but delicate also. It's quite creamy and full while the maduro leaves impart a slight peppery taste makes it actually look like containing perique tobacco. Not at all reminded me of the feeling of smoking a cigar. The partnership of virginia and maduro in this blend gives a tasty result, the basis is of the aftertaste of virginia tobacco with maduro adding a pleasant peppery taste that completes the mixture but without duplicating the overall flavor of the blend.

Maintains long after the opening of the tin a very good level of humidity. Lights easily and also burns and smokes just as easily. Moderate nicotine strength, it causes no tongue bite unless it is smoked very fast and nervously. It delivers excellent both in briar and in corn cob. Can be smoked throughout all day long. Does not wet the bowl of the pipe and leaves little messy in the filter of pipe. The room note when smoking it is pleasing.

Worth to aging this blend, I believe the aging will yield the greatest in this pipe tobacco.

It is one of the pipe tobaccos that actually deserves to be enjoyed by smoking it in a very calm way, and as about me, when I am smoking this tobacco, it relaxes me a lot.

In conclusion, Dominican Glory Maduro is a very good and enjoyable pipe tobacco!

3,5 stars out of 4.

OSR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OSR (78)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I really don't look at this flake as a "Cigar Blend".. To me, it's more like a virginia/perique with cigar leaf added in place of the perique. The cigar leaf is more condimental in nature - it's added for a bit of zing.

And zing it does. I agree with the other reviewers here, the Maduro version is much, MUCH better than the regular DG. To me, the cigar leaf adds a smoother dimension to the VA than does perique and given the tendency of McClellands "vinegar" virginia mystery, the smoothness of the cigar leaf offsets the vinegar twang.

The blended maduro adds enough body to make the virginias round and full without dominating. Like most everyone else I expected this flake to taste like a Hoyo Oscuro and was initially disappointed. My disappointment didn't last long because here was a darned good VA flake that was rich in flavor, had some depth and didn't bite. It's the Maduro cigar leaf that does the trick. Very well done.

One of my favorite McClelland flakes. Buy a couple of tins and let them age for 3 - 5 years. You'll be rewarded.

Now this is nice. It packs more punch than you would think and is a palate pleaser. I took a tin of this to my local pipe club meeting not too long ago and it was quite a hit, especially with the guys who smoke cigars regularly.

As for me (I'm not normally a cigar smoker), I found the blend to be delicious. I could taste the Virginia leaf, but the cigar leaf was the star.

This is a quality blend, cool and slow burning, and I believe it to be an outstanding way to please the pipe/cigar lovers out there.

Ehrling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ehrling (108)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

One of the absolute best of the best cigar blends!! Unfortunately McClelland is no more!!! I will truly miss many of their offering...this being one of them!

DrumsAndBeer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrumsAndBeer (203)

This is a great blend. As expected the quality of the tobacco used is outstanding. Dominican Glory Maduro exeplemifies the versatility of McClelland’s Virginias. How much this mixture tastes entirely unlike a cigar is what surprised me the most. In fact, to my taste the flavor of the maduro leaf is barely detectable. However, the cigar leaf does add a certain fullness to the body of the smoke. The red Virginias are sweet, toasty and tangy and combine perfectly with the deep earthy undertones of the stoved Virginia and cocoa notes of the maduro leaf. Each sip has plenty of flavor and finishes with a delicate pepperiness that lingers on the tongue. The aroma is sweet and the room note does not reek of cigar, instead it’s shockingly pleasant. The tobacco flavor strength is a firm medium and there’s enough nicotine in this to make me take notice. Dominican Glory Maduro is smooth, creamy, tangy and peppery, all in balance and expertly blended. In my books this is another excellent Virginia offering from McClelland, and though the flavor is fairly rich, this is a very good tobacco for warmer weather.

initials SG Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
initials SG (29)

Loved this savory broken flake from the first puff. In fact I could not stop smoking it, bowl after bowl, until the nicotine finally made it too difficult to continue. I know that slowing down and taking your time is oft-repeated advice that applies to practically all pipe tobacco, but it especially applies here. And it's a little hard sometimes, because it is a medium, not strong blend and the temptation to speed up can happen. But don't, and you will be rewarded.

Neither a cigar in a bowl nor a standard Virginia flake with a weak bit of cigar leaf as a barely-there condiment, DGM strikes a fine balance between the two. Very satisfying for the piper who loves red and dark stoved Virginias but also has a jones for the taste of a good cigar to complement it. A bit peppery, a bit sweet, and fine flavor from the mature and red Virginias. As with other McClelland blends, the stoved Virginias are medium, not strong. Thus they may lack oomph for some but allow the cigar leaf flavor to come through while still being quite flavorful.

Brass Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Brass (5)

If you like cigar leaf blends, then you have to give this one a try. Pricing is a bargain and stands up to Stogie, Habana Dreams, and other, perhaps, better known brands. The flavor is awesome, well integrated and full.

I was turned off by the infamous ketchup/vinegar smell when I opened my first tin. Fortunately, I took the advice of a PipesMagazine reader and let the open tin air - in this case for a couple of months. The smell diminished and the taste improved to 4 star level.

I haven't written many reviews for TobaccoReviews.com and you might notice the blends I write about recieve high grades. That is because I'm not motivated to write about blahh blends.

Pipe Used: Several, but like big bowls for this blend.

Purchased From: SmokingPipes

Similar Blends: C&D Habana Day Dreams, H&H Stogie, G.l.Pease Robusto and Key Largo..

This is an interesting blend and a very good one to boot. To start with the normal disclaimer to McClelland blends. Yes it has that familiar scent. I think this may be important to those thinking that the Maduro would mask the scent. In fact, the Maduro presence to my tastes was hard to detect on its own merits, however, it did do enough to differentiate this from other McClelland Virginia blends.

If you do like McClelland Virginias, then this, I think, should be something you should try. It is taking the Virginia in a different direction, but it falls far short of a cigar blend where the cigar is more dominant. I would still consider this a Virginia blend first. I really enjoyed and will likely buy some more in the future. Although I didn't notice an appreciable nicotine kick, it only stands to reason that this would be stronger than the other McClelland blends. So this may also be a nice option to many who find McClelland to be tasty, yet weak on the nicotine.

Age When Smoked: Tinned in 2011

Stefanos Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stefanos (150)

If one wants a cigar in his pipe he can readily go to the Tabac Manil Semois buchons ...literally. So while choosing Dominican Glory Maduro I wasn't looking for a cigar in my pipe, I was just curious to try cigar leaf spiced tobacco.

Did I get any special cigar-leaf aromas though? Yes, I think so. There was a nutty and leathery or even rubbery (not burnt, no screeching tyres here) aroma in the smoke which most certainly comes from it, but far from coming close to smoking a cigar in a pipe, it seemed to lack the intensity the addition of cigar leaf suggested to me. This tobacco was rather closed or tight, not giving as much aromatically as I was expecting. Flavours were a little subdued and the smoke was not very sweet either. So although this is a nuanced tobacco, it's not very forward aromatically. The broken flakes, which are always a joy to toy with, were somewhat damp, but even when I dried them I did not see much difference. In any case this is not a casual smoke, it needs some attention, even if it does not reward it fully.

As to the notorious McClelland's tin note, it is vinegary yes, but apart from the facUpdatt that I do not buy tobacco for the tin note, it's actually very pleasing to me, and in this case it was also enveloped in a beautiful nutty honeyness.

Now if there is one thing which this tobacco excels at, is in its burning qualities. After lighting it almost goes through the end of the bowl without needing any relight, it burns slow forcing you to sip, it burns evenly and dry to the end leaving ...a powdery white ash which is very nice to look at. And only at the very end does it become somewhat bitter.

So, while DGM is obviously made from a top grade leaf, I could not get as much enjoyment out of it as I wished. After finishing about half the tin, I gave up hoping and jarred the remainder on the prospect of better days. If my intuition is right, this tobacco needs cellaring. So, I recommend it somewhat for what it is now, but quality-wise this is a three star tobacco at least, and I hope that one day it will show.

Update 20/3/2017: I opened the jar where I had stored the tobacco for nearly five months to be greeted with an intense tangy vinegary smell, typically McClelland otherwise, which I found fabulous. The broken flakes rubbed out with ease and I let them dry for a little while as I thought right. It lit with ease and soon I realised that Dominican Glory Maduro was in for a radical reappraisal: this time I found it significantly better: A medium strength smooth Virginia with perfect burning qualities, nuanced and flavorful with a wonderful sweet spiced note reminiscent of nutmeg or cinnamon and maybe a subtle and delicate vague cigar leaf note. Absolutely delicious! Definitely four stars now. Reappraisal might have to do with myself only, but I guess the short cellaring did some good to this tobacco helping it open up significantly. Yet if you're looking for a robust cigar taste in your pipe tobacco I can recommend other blends (i.e. C&D's Burley Flake#3, Captain Earle's Honor Blend) and not Dominican Glory.

Age When Smoked: a. new/b. five months in a jar

BigSwede Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigSwede (80)

Overall I have to say I enjoy this tabak. It's fairly simple: some excellent VA, which by itself would be a nice smoke and a bit of cigar leaf. The combo gives the somewhat sweet and grassy VA some color and fullness without being cigarish. I rub this out fairly well and carefully pack it to leave some room. A smooth pleasant smoke and change of pace from my usual fuller blend (Havana Daydream). Smokes cool and I've not been bit. Not what you'd call exciting and it doesn't invoke thought of symphonies or poetry but very well done.

Pipe Used: Generic longstem canadian

Age When Smoked: New/Fresh

Purchased From: pipesandcigars

Mild Mild to Medium Mild Tolerable

This may appeal to those who like mild bodied blends. For me it was lacking in both body and flavor.

Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

Maduro is much better at suggesting a cigar than it's more finely chopped brother, the plain Dominican Glory. The broken flake makes for a richer and more satifying smoke. You receive a full flavor with lots of cigar-like smoke, but it doesn't really taste much like a cigar. I did enjoy the experience even though it is unlike any normal pipe tobacco mixture. Well worth a test drive and a pretty good hot weather smoke. Another plus: No bite! See if you can sample this before you buy a whole tin. I suspect this will be a love/ hate type of tobac.

sharpiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sharpiper (1)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

First, the tin note to me is overwhelmingly mincemeat pie filling. Pleasant, but strange at the same time. Like raisins soaked in apple cider vinegar. No detection of cigar in the tin note, but if the suggested 2 or 3% cigar leaf is all McClelland is using, why would you detect it?

Next, the smoke is creamy and thickish. The taste, a smokey, but enjoyably mellow flavor that is reminiscent of the tin note. It is a little moist, although not bad. I did have to relight several times, but I was sipping. I did experience the mildest of tongue bite.

The room note is nice to me, probably not as nice to those who appreciate heavily topped aromatics. There is a hint of cigar in the flavor and the room note. More of a recognizable presence of cigar in the burning bowl note.

I did suffer a nicotine buzz by the end of a full bowl, although tolerable.

All in all, I recommend this for a slow sipping, relaxed smoke. Add in the prep time for rubbing it out before loading your pipe, and you'll want to make sure you have plenty of time to devote to DGM.

Pipe Used: Missouri Meerschaum Maple Country Gentleman

Age When Smoked: fresh from a newly purchased tin

Purchased From: Pipes & Cigars

- Dark and creamy with enough natural sweetness from the Virginias to not be on "Cigar Overload". Today I'm only an occasional cigar smoker, unlike years ago when I would relish a good dark Maduro. This tobacco really doesn't bring much cigar similarities but rather reminds me of everything I wished a good Burley base tobacco would bring ,but doesn't . To me Burley brings the darkness but not the smoothness that this tobacco has and without the" Burley bitters". A rather enjoyable smoke through the whole bowl and even during the relights.

Most of the reviewers had it right in that you should think of this as a Virginia with only a touch of cigar leaf.

Pipe Used: osark maple and MM cob

Age When Smoked: tin age 2 years / open 2 weeks

ATW Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ATW (45)

This is a good blend but dont let the name fool you. This is a Virginia forward blend with the addition of Maduro cigar leaf. The Maduro will just simply smooth out the rough edges of the virginia and give it more body. A very cool smoke without tongue bite. Has a nice mellow virginia sweetness with a cigar-like quality nuttiness. Low nicotine and can be an all day smoke if you enjoy this type of flavor profile versus an vaper or straight VA blend as an all day smoke. My tin is about 5 years old so a fresh tin might be a little sweeter. Smokes very well in a cob. This is a re-review 10-29-17

bearded_cavalier Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bearded_cavalier (11)
Very Strong None Detected Very Full Strong

A very nice cigar leaf blend. Burns extremely slowly with little relighting needed. Burns to a fine white ash. As a fairly quick puffer I do get a bit of n-sickness with this one if I'm not careful. It packs quite a punch, so smoke slow!

Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Does not taste like a cigar, but the cigar leaf must be high quality and blended in just the right amounts, because there is certainly something here besides the Virginia, and I liked it. Other than that, it is a good example of the McClelland style of Virginia-full and complex yet remaining mellow somehow.

Loboatomy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Loboatomy (40)
Medium Extremely Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Quite a blend. Definately not "cigarry" in any way. Rather, it's probably one of the nicest and smoothest of the Mclelland virginia blends with a touch of "something else". That something else cools it down and at the same time complements the virginia. No bite, no juice even straight from the can. A little of the ketchup, but not too bad sompared to some of the others.

Reccomended.

cell biologist Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cell biologist (21)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Very Full Tolerable

I am not a cigar smoker. The smell of cheap cigars makes me run away. The few good quality cigars that I have tried have a kind of back-of-the-nose tang that dominates and overwhelms my senses and masks any other flavor. I can find this flavor in Domincan Glory Maduro, but it doesn?t dominate, it adds to the McClelland virginia flake flavor, which I really like. The combination is deep and rich and somehow filling, like eating very rich food. This analogy aptly describes my feelings for this tobacco. Sometimes, the cigar flavor is more than what I like, others it is an interesting change of pace. I have to be in the right mood for it. My favorite pipe for this is a meerschaum, in which the cigar notes seem to blend better. I really like the pressed flake presentation and the virginia tobaccos in this blend, and the addition of cigar leaf, for me, is a nice way to acquire a taste for this distinct flavor. I?m not ready to go out and buy a $30 cigar, but I might try one if it was offered.

Tin: ?02 - 5 years old.

Far better than its plain Dominican brother, this brings a stronger punch and a fuller flavour. The cut is different, this is a broken flake with some big pieces, and this helps to keep the moisture at a decent level. The ketchup flavour is definitely at a low level and disappears completely after a few puffs, and here you can really taste the cigar leaf, spicy and completing the virginia sweetness in a very interesting way. Recommended!

Geronimo Von Klaus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Geronimo Von Klaus (76)
Strong Extremely Mild Full Tolerable

What a strange smoke.

Its glorious to behold in the jar, has that ketchup aroma wafting out of it right from the start, and you get the cigar in there too.

Soaking wet, needs a tonne of drying time. Even after that, its a "female dog" to light this and needed about 3 or 4 relights after char and tamping. Then it was really hot right at the start, palate stingingly hot.

Then it calmed down, warmed, and its a good smoke. However, its a cigar in a bowl! The VA's are present and you can smell them, but the overwhelming presence is a chopped up and pressed maduro cigar. If you want a maduro cigar, have one, this concoction is so strange. I used to smoke cigars before turning to pipes (my bank balance rare got above zero when smoking cigars) and loved a maduro after a meal, but honestly, they are so heavy and palate numbing that you have to be in the mood for them. I thought this would be a McClelland VA with a touch of maduro, but the maduro overwhelms everything, and it just came out with big plumes of cigar smoke.

Kind of nostalgic for me as a former cigar guy.

Won't buy another tin, might give the rest of the one I have away. Its not bad, I just don't see why it exists.

Pipe Used: Bulldog Briar

CenTex Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CenTex (18)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I tried this because I like cigars and from the description on the tin, I thought it would be a good transition to pipes, which I just recently started smoking. I liked it at first, although the ketchup smell struck me as odd. I kept thinking of barbecue as I smoked the first few bowls. I put it away and started experimenting with other blends. I recently went back to my tin and tried this one again, and found I didn't care for it all that much. I do not taste the cigar leaf. It still reminds me of barbecue. It has an interesting flavor but I can't include it in a regular rotation.

Fofo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fofo (81)

Not bad for a fan of virgina blends and an occasional cigar smoker. Don't expect this blend to be just like smoking a cigar because it isn't, if you want to taste a cigar then smoke a cigar.

Virgina and cigar leaf go very well together, but I won't be buying this blend again. I liked it, but it gets old quick and there are other virginia flakes I enjoy a lot more.

Slow Triathlete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Slow Triathlete (48)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

I really enjoyed this blend. I come from a 10 year cigar smoking background with the maduro wrapper as my favorite. Now granted, this does not taste just like a maduro cigar. If you want that flavor, then just go out and buy a cigar!! This has a sweeter taste from the viriginias. You can definitely taste the cigar leaf now and then. I opened this up, dried it a bit and then rubbed it a bit and it smoked all the way through. Very, very pleasant tobacco.

I will be buying a few tins of this.

=2010 Update=

I've grown quickly tired of this blend.