A balanced blend of rich, dark Maduro Cigar Leaf and matured Red and Stoved Virginia tobaccos. The perfect Pipe Tobacco for the connoisseur of maduro cigars who enjoy pipes. Pressed into cakes and aged to develop characteristics and marry the flavors, then cut in flakes to be rubbed out to the smoker's personal preference.

Blended ByMcClelland Tobacco Company

3.2
Sinister Topiary Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sinister Topiary (74)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

DGM is the first cigar blend I've tried that gets it right. As MDP in his excellent review points out, this cigar blend does not have any latakia, which I believe is the secret to its success. In the cigar blends I've tried, the smokiness of the latakia works against the distinctive tones of the cigar leaf, destroying the harmony of the constituent elements. McClelland was inspired to stick with virginias to complement the cigar leaf, and they produced a masterpiece.

The maduro is present in exactly the right amount, a darkly sweet condiment with just the right amount of tang to complement the other flavors. Indeed the balance is perfect between the maduro, the red virginia, and the stoved virginia, each one singing its own melody, yet always singing together in harmony. (I suppose I would consider this a most contrapuntal blend!) It's a lovely experience.

Which means that this is not a blend to smoke in passing, because it's not that enjoyable if you're not paying attention. This is something to be sipped and savored slowly and with some concentration. You don't drink a dignified Islay malt like it was a watered down J&B. (Or, to carry our music metaphor further, if you're going to listen to JS Bach, listen to JS Bach...)

I know from experience. My first few bowls were a marvel of flavors. As I started taking the blend for granted, it lost its magic as the flavors blurred together into something a bit too sharp, even unpleasant and bitey. That's because I sped up my smoking rhythm, treating it like a drugstore blend to be huffed. Once I slowed down again and gave it the respect it deserved, the magic returned. Basically, if you do not approach this blend with the respect it warrants, it will not respect you in return.

Not recommended for a mindless smoke; Highest recommendation for a mindful one.

MDP Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MDP (33)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I cannot disagree with the tin description, as DGM delivers on all counts. I have smoked a fresh tin and five-year aged. Ten year old, 100 gram tins are waiting for a 20th birthday coming out party. I prefer this to the very good Dominican Glory. DGM is richer, fuller, and the flake cut makes for a cool, slow burn.

The five year old tin I am reviewing is spectacular. What an aroma wafted from the freshly opened tin! Curry more than ketchup, lively and warm, this was a great moment all by itself. Moisture level was just right to pack a bowl and go. I do not rub out the flakes, but organize them into a ready to burn nugget.

After a lengthy charring light, I let this sit for a minute or two and then fire for real. DGM is ready at the match with spicy and sweet flavors, but is still more savory than dessert. A creaminess developed five minutes into the smoke and the flavors kept migrating within a medium range of flavors- spice, tang, cream, leather, in and out. The cigar leaf is most pronounced in the aftertaste and side stream smoke. The room note shows the high quality tobacco and handling McClelland puts into their tinned offerings.

Like most Virginia flakes, DGM is best smoked slowly, tobacco just smoldering. This will DGT okay, but really not overnight for my tastes. I chalk that up to the cigar leaf, as other cigar-leaf pipe tobacco blends. I think part of the "glory" of this blend is that it does NOT have Latakia, as does just about every other cigar blend available. I like many such blends, but without DGM, there would be a large, sad void in blends.

A brief note on the fresh tin. Very similar flavor profile and aroma. Moisture level must be reduced from tactile moisture and the pipe packed a little loose. Really, both fresh and aged, this is an all-time favorite out of hundreds of blends smoked.

NapaWineLover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NapaWineLover (66)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

What a pleasant surprise! This is really very nice. The reason I'm surprised is that I was totally unimpressed with the other closely named blend - Dominican Glory. One of the other reviewers commented that it tasted like it had some perique. There is something in the component seasoning of this blend that would justify that comment. Oddly enough, when I smoked this, after already being rather disappointed with the other Glory, I started off very skeptical ... however, one third through the bowl I was rooting for it. In fact, it has some similarity to St. James Woods ... except this blend is more suited to my tastes. Wonderfully balanced and tasty smoke.

Starts off very Red VA and then quickly settles down. The stoved VA married with the mature Red VA is an extroadinary balancing act and the mild peppery nuance (which one could easily think is a little perique) must be coming from the Maduro Cigar leaf and it is delightful. It doesn't require any special technique, it is tame with a wonderful taste and very pleasant aroma. I noticed no flavorings in this blend other than those imparted by the Red VA naturally. The smoke is slightly creamy and leaves the palate clean.

The nicotine is slightly less than mild but the flavor is not compromised since it is very tasty. It's complexity may be lost after a seriously spicy meal but nonetheless I wouldn't hesitate to grab this as a singular tobacco for a weekend away or a short business trip. The blend is mahogany in color and a broken flake. It smokes cool and dry and performs effortlessly just under a smolder.

I also recommend this to smokers that would like to experience some complexity in a blend that leans towards the mild side of medium and delivers very good taste and complexity even though it is sans Orientals. My preference is to smoke this earlier in the day when the palate is clear. Although as I already said ... you could grab this and smoke it exclusively for a day or two without kicking yourself. Terrific Stuff !!!

Cheers, VC

piedpiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
piedpiper (26)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

Another of my attempts to experience something like the Sobranie Virginia #10 of yore. Not a bad blend. The cigar leaf didn't come through as much as I would have liked. I tend to go for fuller bodied blends and it seems that even the blends McClellands' describes as full-bodied are quite tame by my standards. As other reviewers have mentioned, I would very much like to know what makes ALL of their tobaccos smell like a blend of ketchup/vinegar in the tin. This blend earns a solid 2 stars.

ACS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ACS (6)

As a fan of oily-smooth Arabica coffee (black, not too hot, medium roast and without creamer, or sugar), I thought a cigar leaf-containing blend would be a bit richer than usual. While not as 'thick' as I expected, this blend is pretty good. Unlit, it DOES smell like ketchup (acetic acid from fermentation?)...but--likely on account of it's acidity--doesn't have much of a tendancy to burn the tongue. However, it does not want to stay lit, so you'd better give it a bit of a drying. Really, it tastes like a stoved Virginia. The scent isn't at all unpleasant to non-smokers--even my MOTHER likes it.

OSR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OSR (71)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I really don't look at this flake as a "Cigar Blend".. To me, it's more like a virginia/perique with cigar leaf added in place of the perique. The cigar leaf is more condimental in nature - it's added for a bit of zing.

And zing it does. I agree with the other reviewers here, the Maduro version is much, MUCH better than the regular DG. To me, the cigar leaf adds a smoother dimension to the VA than does perique and given the tendency of McClellands "vinegar" virginia mystery, the smoothness of the cigar leaf offsets the vinegar twang.

The blended maduro adds enough body to make the virginias round and full without dominating. Like most everyone else I expected this flake to taste like a Hoyo Oscuro and was initially disappointed. My disappointment didn't last long because here was a darned good VA flake that was rich in flavor, had some depth and didn't bite. It's the Maduro cigar leaf that does the trick. Very well done.

One of my favorite McClelland flakes. Buy a couple of tins and let them age for 3 - 5 years. You'll be rewarded.

Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

Maduro is much better at suggesting a cigar than it's more finely chopped brother, the plain Dominican Glory. The broken flake makes for a richer and more satifying smoke. You receive a full flavor with lots of cigar-like smoke, but it doesn't really taste much like a cigar. I did enjoy the experience even though it is unlike any normal pipe tobacco mixture. Well worth a test drive and a pretty good hot weather smoke. Another plus: No bite! See if you can sample this before you buy a whole tin. I suspect this will be a love/ hate type of tobac.

Mild Mild to Medium Mild Tolerable

This may appeal to those who like mild bodied blends. For me it was lacking in both body and flavor.

Passion Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Passion (28)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Strong

I am a pipe man through and through but on occasion will enjoy a cigar. This blend really has sweetness from the virginia. A little grassy tone can be tasted as well. Very pleasant. THe maduro leaf is always slightly in the background, but never overwhelming like I have found with most other cigar blends. This one is a keeper in my books!

Fnord Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fnord (1)
Very Mild Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Picked up a dusty, old tin of this from my favorite pipe tobacco shop. The date on the bottom read "18 01 96" so naturally, I had to buy it. For $13.25 I got a 16 year old blend of good tobacco. I haven't been smoking a pipe for very long but this stuff is definately a good virginia. Couldn't taste much of the cigar leaf but I can literally see the sugar caked on this stuff. Truly amazing the way tobacco ages and I will definately buy the other tin that was a few years younger. I'd reccomend this to anyone who favors the taste of natural tobacco over the flavorings you find in aromatics.

Rustica Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rustica (16)

On top of enjoying cigars from time to time, I primarily smoke VA, VAPer, and English blends. My first bowl of this blend was slightly disappointing as I was really expecting a much stronger taste of cigar. I loaded my second bowl in a Savinelli bent Dublin and decided to simply enjoy the quality virgnias in this blend. In not trying too hard to notice the addition of cigar leaf, the full creaminess and spicy, woody notes that only cigar leaf can provide came out in full force. I would suggest drying this blend before smoking as with most McClelland products to truly enjoy its well-behaved smoking characteristics. Flavors I detected throughout the smoke where oats, slight honey, spices, and very little citrus/tangines on top of still somewhat subdued cigar notes. Definitely not a cigar in your pipe. If you want the taste of a cigar it's been said that you should SMOKE A CIGAR!:) Overall a somewhat mild, high quality virginia smoke with pleasantly subtle cigar notes. Can't give it four stars but I have some aging so I may update.

CenTex Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CenTex (15)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I tried this because I like cigars and from the description on the tin, I thought it would be a good transition to pipes, which I just recently started smoking. I liked it at first, although the ketchup smell struck me as odd. I kept thinking of barbecue as I smoked the first few bowls. I put it away and started experimenting with other blends. I recently went back to my tin and tried this one again, and found I didn't care for it all that much. I do not taste the cigar leaf. It still reminds me of barbecue. It has an interesting flavor but I can't include it in a regular rotation.

Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Does not taste like a cigar, but the cigar leaf must be high quality and blended in just the right amounts, because there is certainly something here besides the Virginia, and I liked it. Other than that, it is a good example of the McClelland style of Virginia-full and complex yet remaining mellow somehow.

Loboatomy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Loboatomy (36)
Medium Extremely Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Quite a blend. Definately not "cigarry" in any way. Rather, it's probably one of the nicest and smoothest of the Mclelland virginia blends with a touch of "something else". That something else cools it down and at the same time complements the virginia. No bite, no juice even straight from the can. A little of the ketchup, but not too bad sompared to some of the others.

Reccomended.

joseph Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
joseph (46)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

Outstanding blend, the Virginias are very creamy and sweet, the cigar leaf is spicy. Burns very nice to the bottom of the bowl, never gets hot, and very few relights. From the tin the tobacco just a slight vinager smell, never offending, in fact very nice.

Fofo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fofo (78)

Not bad for a fan of virgina blends and an occasional cigar smoker. Don't expect this blend to be just like smoking a cigar because it isn't, if you want to taste a cigar then smoke a cigar.

Virgina and cigar leaf go very well together, but I won't be buying this blend again. I liked it, but it gets old quick and there are other virginia flakes I enjoy a lot more.

Slow Triathlete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Slow Triathlete (48)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

I really enjoyed this blend. I come from a 10 year cigar smoking background with the maduro wrapper as my favorite. Now granted, this does not taste just like a maduro cigar. If you want that flavor, then just go out and buy a cigar!! This has a sweeter taste from the viriginias. You can definitely taste the cigar leaf now and then. I opened this up, dried it a bit and then rubbed it a bit and it smoked all the way through. Very, very pleasant tobacco.

I will be buying a few tins of this.

=2010 Update=

I've grown quickly tired of this blend.

cell biologist Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cell biologist (21)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Very Full Tolerable

I am not a cigar smoker. The smell of cheap cigars makes me run away. The few good quality cigars that I have tried have a kind of back-of-the-nose tang that dominates and overwhelms my senses and masks any other flavor. I can find this flavor in Domincan Glory Maduro, but it doesn?t dominate, it adds to the McClelland virginia flake flavor, which I really like. The combination is deep and rich and somehow filling, like eating very rich food. This analogy aptly describes my feelings for this tobacco. Sometimes, the cigar flavor is more than what I like, others it is an interesting change of pace. I have to be in the right mood for it. My favorite pipe for this is a meerschaum, in which the cigar notes seem to blend better. I really like the pressed flake presentation and the virginia tobaccos in this blend, and the addition of cigar leaf, for me, is a nice way to acquire a taste for this distinct flavor. I?m not ready to go out and buy a $30 cigar, but I might try one if it was offered.

Tin: ?02 - 5 years old.

Zone Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zone Smoke (199)

This stoved Virginia flake with cigar leaf added is a pretty good smoke. It has a lot of flavor, although I detect none of it being that of a cigar. It comes off more as a flavorful flake that smokes well with minimal bite factor. The tin I smoked was packed in 1999, so it has a few years of age on it.

Mystic Rune Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mystic Rune (35)

This flake is a pleasure for those who enjoy the combination of red/Stoved black Virginias and even more so, if they are aficionados of fine medium bodied Maduro cigars. Any tobacco can be Maduro leaf, as the curing process is what makes it so. The rich flavor and musty aroma added by the character of this cured dark leaf, enhances the natural sweetness and aroma of the Virginias in a very positive way. Fanciers of the pipe and Maduro cigars need to look no further for a tobacco that will offer them the best of both worlds. This flake is easy to load and light, is smooth, dry, clean burning and a joy to experience.

DUPE.629 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

Domican Glory Maduro.06/03/07. I found this to be a little stronger than Dominican Glory,but I really enjoyed it very much.Again very easy to light,well behaved,and thoroughly delicious to bowls end.Great flavours along the way also.A nice greyish ash at the end of the bowl,with very little moisture content left in the bottom of the bowl."It's a winner"

ken_mays Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ken_mays (8)

Virginia flakes are what I smoke almost exclusively; unfortunately I am also a fast puffer. I really want to like McClelland's Virginia flake blends, but most of them just bite too badly for me. This is one of the few that I can smoke without severe consequences.

The cigar leaf is not identifiable by me as such; however, I can definitely tell that the sweetness of the VA has been mitigated with something. Since I also smoke a lot of cigars, perhaps the cigar leaf just sneaks in under the radar.

Like most flakes, it's too wet in the tin, but after two or three days in the pouch it dries out nicely. The result is a fairly dry smoke with plenty of flavor.

There's a huge difference between the DG Maduro and its ribbon-cut brother. I vastly prefer the former. The ribbon-cut DG burns too quickly and the sweet richness of the VA is missing, overpowered by the cigar leaf.

This is in my top five for VA flakes.

lensman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lensman (30)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

This pipe-weed is about the fourth one containing cigar leaf that I have tried. It is easily my favorite. The pressing and aging techniques used here result in a marriage of flavors I do not find in the other cigar blends (including Pease's Robusto, C&D's Billy Budd, P&W Churchill). Masterfully balanced, I first find a Red VA taste, followed in short order by the slight spice and earthy cigar leaf, and thereafter the stoved sweetness kicks in. Other blenders seem to really struggle with the incorporation of cigar leaf, never quite finding how to balance it, or discerning precisely the role it should play. McClellend really found the secret. Very well done!

prinakis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
prinakis (13)

This is definitively a good tobacco, with some cigar "feelings" i recommend this one to those who DON'T like aromatic tobacco and would like to try something other than a latakia based.

Far better than its plain Dominican brother, this brings a stronger punch and a fuller flavour. The cut is different, this is a broken flake with some big pieces, and this helps to keep the moisture at a decent level. The ketchup flavour is definitely at a low level and disappears completely after a few puffs, and here you can really taste the cigar leaf, spicy and completing the virginia sweetness in a very interesting way. Recommended!

A very good cange of pace. there is virtually no cigar taste,unlike the churchill blend @ Wilke.If you like a decent ready rubbed go for it I would not buy a 100 gram tin though, you might feel stuck. A very good flavor and aroma.

Pipeline Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeline (206)
Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

If I wasn't told that DGM had cigar leaf, it would be hard to explain the subtle spiciness that "curbs" some of the natural sweetness from the main Virginia base.

Perique could explain it, but DGM lacks the "stewed fruit" aspect evident to some extent with Perique-touched blends.

The sweet, dark flavors still prevail even as complemented by the maduro cigar leaf. This is moderately complex and certainly not monotonous.

DGM is on the other side of the flavor fence as compared to Robert Lewis 123. DGM is a cigar enhanced Virginia blend (red and black stoved), while 123 is a pleasant take on an English-hybrid of sorts. I have yet to compare it to Robusto by GL Pease or Peretti's No. 500.

This is pretty darn cool smoking, producing little moisture and lots of flavor and aroma for indoor and outdoor enjoyment. Could be an all-day blend except for the richness.

I get the most taste without any penalty when fully rubbing the already broken flakes. It just doesn't burn well for me otherwise (I usually just fold flakes with other Virginia blends).

My tin was two years old when opened.

Daniel Morlan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Daniel Morlan (50)
Strong Extremely Mild Full Very Strong

Being quite new to smoking Pipes, I've not had much experience in this area, but I do enjoy a good cigar, and that's where I find such a liking to this brand.

The smoke is quite rich, and most definitely sweet. I'm getting a wonderful idea what the VA's are like, and these full-bodied, sweet-on-the-pallette smokes are absolutely wonderful as far as I'm concerned.

In the beginning of the smoke, the sweetness is very pronounced. As you get towards the center of the bowl, it really comes alive. It's a bit of a warm smoke, and if you drag too hard, you're liable to burn yourself. This is definitely a pipe tobacco to be "sipped". Towards the end of the bowl, the sweetness tapers off, and you've got a fantastic warm nuttiness with the smoke just POURING out of the mouthpiece.

In the can, my honest impression is that this blend smells a lot like teriyaki jerky, but the flavor is quite robust. If you're looking for subtle nuances, this isn't really the blend for you, but I've found my favorite for the moment. I can't wait to try some more virginia flakes!

Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

Now this is much, much nicer than the plain Dominican Glory. It packs more punch and is definately a palate pleaser. I took a tin of this to my local pipe club meeting not too long ago along with its weaker sister. While old Glory struck out with the group, Maduro was quite a hit, especially with the guys who smoke cigars regularly.

As for me (I'm no cigar smoker), I found the blend to be a bit uncivilized for my palate. I could taste the virginia leaf, but the cigar leaf overwhelmed the mixture to the point where I just did not enjoy it.

This is a quality blend, cool and slow burning, and I will not diss it because of what I believe to be an outstanding attempt to please the pipe/cigar lovers.

mparker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mparker (51)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Strong

Wow, it's been years since I smoked this. I got some from Barry Levin back in 93 or 94, can't remember exactly.

As I recall, it's basically Blackwoods Flake with 2-3% cigar leaf added for spice. It's surprisingly good if you like cigars; you can definitely taste the cigar leaf; but like a good spice it remains subordinate to the (excellent) virginias. If you're expecting a cigar-in-a-pipe you'll probably be disappointed, but if you're looking for a spicy blend with that leathery spiciness (and don't want latakia), then this is a good place to start.

Surprisingly, the cigar leaf is much more noticeable in the aroma than in the flavor, so if your wife doesn't like your cigars, she probably won't like this...

Colonel Panic Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Colonel Panic (42)

OK, I bought a tin of this hoping it would be substantially different from their other flakes. Now, don't get me wrong - it's a tasty smoke and if you really pay attention the deep flavors from the cigar leaf are there. It's like Blackwoods Flake with a little less of the savory character that I like so much and a deep, dry cigar note just above the threshold of normal perception.

I have to smoke this when I've really got time to appreciate it or it just tastes like Blackwoods Lite. I prefer VA #24 to this, but give it a try if you like the idea of a subtle cigar note in a VA flake.