The flavor of a fine, mild cigar in a satisfying tobacco for the pipe. This blend of premium aged Dominican cigar leaf is seasoned with matured Virginia for balance and refinement and is presented in a wide ribbon form for cool smoking pleasure. For the best of both worlds, enjoy Dominican Glory in the pipe.

Blended ByMcClelland Tobacco Company
Strength
Taste

2.3
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

I took a 100g tin of this blend to my pipe club meeting a few months ago. About a dozen veteran puffers were excited to sample it for the first time; a pipe blend made of cigar leaf. They were not disappointed. Exceptional and unusual flavor here, and the consensus was that it would probably make for a fine,rich cigar if rolled up.

If you enjoy Dominican cigars and pipes filled with rich, ribbon cut Virginia, get the best of both worlds and try this one!

A. Morley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
A. Morley (97)
Mild to Medium None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

Whatever McClelland's has to offer has come up short in this blend. I don't like cigars as it is, but the least they could have done was add some good Virginia leaf, lord knows they have enough of it, as opposed to whatevet flat-tasting, orange detritis they chose as a base for Dominican Glory. I will say that there were a few times, though I don't know how I managed, that I woud get a whiff of that smokey Virginia tang that has keped me loyal to McClelland's for years. The two or three times that I experienced this, however were not enpugh to justify my having to pay for it.

Rgards,

A. Morley Jaques

dbl-bbl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dbl-bbl (37)

I mistakenly bought this Dominican Glory thinking I had ordered the Dominican Glory Maduro. Nonetheless, this is a pretty decent, mild smoking mixture with just the slightest “twang” from the cigar leaf. Had I not known from the description that this contained cigar leaf I would have thought that slight twang was from a pinch of Perique. Although I’ve enjoyed smoking this blend me thinks it misses its mark for its cigar-leaf tobacco genre/classification. As such, I think it’s only worthy of 3 stars. Otherwise, it’s really quite a mild & naturally delicious treat. Despite McC now going out of business I was able to procure a tin of the Dominican Glory Maduro which reportedly has more cigar leaf. Stay tuned for an upcoming review on that one.

Pipe Used: Briars & Cobs

Mild None Detected Mild Tolerable to Strong

I am wrestling with this one. I am finding it hard to review a pipe tobacco that smells like a cigar, tastes like a cigar, has the room note of a cigar, yet smokes in a pipe. And all of the above not a very good cigar.

It is an all brown rough cut tobacco, it is rather mild and non biting, but if I am going to smoke a cigar, I think I will smoke a cigar and a good one. If you favor low end cigars one might like this one. It has a cigar flavor as one might expect, it packs easy and burns easy in the pipe, it burns into cigar colored grey ash all the way down and rather dry so it has that going for it, I just did not really enjoy this blend in my pipe. I have had some good blends with cigar leaf in them and I did enjoy them, but I still felt that I was smoking a pipe, the cigar leaf added character and flavor to the blend. This just tastes like a low end cigar and leaves the room smelling like a cheap cigar. Thus I cannot rate this high either as a pipe blend or even as a decent cigar.

Pipe Used: Briar, cob, meer

Age When Smoked: current to five years old

Purchased From: etailer

Similar Blends: Dutch Masters cigars.

musicman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
musicman (88)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Dominican glory was a real snoozer for me. Nothing right or wrong with this blend, just boring. Lots of other great tobacco to reach for before this one.

The cigar thing really does not come through for me. I don't taste much cigar note at all. Didn't do much for me, but who knows, maybe it will be a favorite of yours?

As always the quality of product was excellent as McClelland has never disappointed. You may not like a particular blend but you can never complain about the superior craftsmanship.

Somewhat recommended.

JEM Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JEM (21)
Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I love a good cigar and I bought thinking that I would get a cigar taste in my pipe. Well, it wasn't there. That is not to say that I dislike this tobacco. This is a smooth, interesting, mild tobacco. It lights easily, stays lit, and has a nice smell. But if your expecting the taste of a cigar, this isn't it.

The only McClelland tobacco that I had smoked before this one was Christmas Cheer 2006 and I did not notice that McClelland Ketchup smell. When I opened this one... WOW... now I know what everyone means.

Mild None Detected Mild Strong

Short choppy cuts of light chocolate with a very distinctive cigar aroma. But not a mouthwatering rich brown cigar like the color in the tin, but more like one of those green claros. But that's what the ad copy says and off I went. I'm not much of a cigar buff anymore but I do enjoy one on occasion.

Disastrous is the best word I can use for this. Perhaps that was due to my own misunderstanding but I was thinking this was going to be one of McClellands incomparable Virginias but with a cigar leaf overtone. Yes, there was Virginia tobacco in here but it tasted strictly bottom shelf. With the wealth of high quality Virginia in the McClellands vaults, I was surprised at how dull and flavorless this batch was. The cigar leaf tasted cigar-y to be sure but along with being mild was kind of harsh and King Edwardian ( as with their cigars, more paper than tobacco). It was all very cheap tasting and not refined like most McClelland blends. Up till now, Holiday Spirit was the only McC total failure in my book. I'd rather smoke an entire tin of that one than another single bowl of this. I made it thru only 4 bowls, with varying degrees of moisture content. Nothing saves this from a single star. Makes me definitely wary of the Maduro version and I may hold off on that one for awhile.

georgariou33 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
georgariou33 (16)
Very Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

very mild, very easy on the pallet and a nice light taste in the mouth..this is a blend that works for me because i have a collection of 105 different blends and when im in the mood for something light this fits the bill...if i had a small collection i would not buy this blend..with all that said, this blend is a nice light experience..oh im a cigar smoker to and enjoy my one stogie a day from my very large cigar collection so this probably helps me enjoy this blend a bit

Pipe Used: big ben and stanwell only

Age When Smoked: 70

Purchased From: pipes and cigars

Similar Blends: 000.

albfneto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
albfneto (184)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

The Cigar leaf and Virginias are well noted and distinguished.

Good for People that enjoy non-aromatic pure and strong tobaccos.

Is related to Purple Cow, but in my personal oppinion, this is much better.

LV9 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LV9 (76)
Mild None Detected Mild Unnoticeable

the cut of this is long ribbons of red virginia mix with long strands of black leaves, and some bright virginia, my tin is stamp 041203 which means is 7 years old at the time of this review, it's easy to packed somewhat easy to light, the smell from the tin is of ketchup according to my wife, I don't mind at all, the flavor i got was very monochromatic, this is a very sweet virginia with the cigar leave weaving in and out but never taking center stage, the flavor never seems to varied smoke either slow or fast, it does seem to bite a little but only if pushed; there's nothing wrong with this blend but it just never seem to grab me. Maybe a little orientals or latakia may bring this mixture to another level.

bentontool Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bentontool (6)

IMHO this blend is under-rated. Not a complex smoke, but the cigar leaf is tasty and mild. If you like cigar tobacco, it is great for an AM bowl with your coffee. The VA is only slightly appreciated towards the bottom of the bowl. It lights easily and remains lit without much fuss... although I had to pack it a bit tight. It burns well to the bottom with not much left over but a grey ash,and no "gurgling". I look forward to trying the Dominican Glory Maduro next, as I would prefer a stronger cigar leaf presence, and since it is rated higher than the Dominican Glory (plain), I suspect I will also enjoy it.

catdaddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
catdaddy (18)
Medium Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a very impressive blend with a pre-light aroma that is just phenomenal. I found the taste to be mild, smooth, and enjoyable.

WmZiggy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WmZiggy (76)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

I recommend this tobacco for blending with other blends to cut their strength, such as Gawith's 1792. I usually start with a 50/50 cut. I smoke cigars, but seldom catch the taste of cigar leaf in this blend. Although the tin I am using was aged 5 years or better, I cannot smoke this blend by itself. It burns too hot. I've tried it in numerous well seasoned pipes and it starts out well with a nutty taste, but heats up without much effort and starts biting the tongue.

Redd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Redd (117)

Great Stuff!!!!!!!! I have to agree. If you enjoy a good cheap mild cigar and drugstore pipe tobaccos this blend is your blend. This has the best of both worlds Cigars & Pipe Tobacco. " A mild blend with a pleasing aroma. If you like the smell of Tobacconist shops that is. This combination can not be beat.

When you get a Tin Open replace the plastic cap and start to smoke it in a week or two. This blend get much better and richer after opening. I like to add a pinch of Deer Tongue to it. There is a little aroma of sweet Virgina leaf and little sweet cigar smoke aroma. Man is this a ALL AMERICAN CLASSIC PIPE SMOKE. This is buy far the best cigar blend on the market. If you go back and forth between Cigars and a pipes this is also your blend. This blend is much milder and smoother then GL.Pease Robusto. which I find very harsh with to much oriental leaf in their blends as always. Redd

Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

06/12/2005 If you crave a cigar smell and flavor in the bowl of a pipe here it is...If you want the smell and taste of a good cigar this is not it! Also it is cut like an American Aromatic which makes it burn way too fast. Might be o.k. if it came in a broken flake. 3/23/2006 I keep revisiting this blend hoping to make friends with it. Hasn't happened. I have lowered this rating to one star. Still looking for that blend with a bit of cigar flavor. This blend tastes like it has some paper ground up with it.

Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Not a bad tobacco, but I was waiting for something fuller and more cigarish than this, reading the tin description. The typical McClelland ketchup saucing is present upon opening the tin, but it disappears quite quickly during the smoke. After having smoked P&W Churchill and Schurch Mogano, the cigar leaf into this McClelland seems pretty bland, too delicate, but it's a classic with dominican cigars too. The blend is mild, good as first bowl of the day, for sure it isn't an after-dinner.

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)

This blend was surprising in several areas: 1. It did not have the usual McC "vinegar" tang. 2. It did not have much cigar flavor.

That being said, it was not a bad blend. The ribbon cut meant it was easy to load into any size pipe and easy to light. It took flame easily and remained quite cool under normal puffing rates. Neither can I say that it was a really good blend, as it was quite bland and uninteresting. The Virginias never bloomed with the sweetness I expected, nor did the cigar leaf make more than momentery appearences. I tried it in various size pipes, at differnt times of the day. At best, it has to be considered a "breakfast blend"; mild enough for all day, but not nearly interesting enough to smoke more than bowl.

stoic066 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
stoic066 (7)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I received my sample from Nightcap junkie who had tried almost all english, oriental, virginia and 'cigar' leaf tobaccos. Fortunately for me he does not like any of them so I get to smoke them.

My sample was neatly dated on the bottom of the can 10/15/97. Nicely aged so my opinion may differ from others. I personally do not like McClelland tobaccos. This one however I liked. This is not a complex tobacco by any means but virginias seem to blend nicely with ' cigar ' leaf. No tongue bite at all and weed is even tasting to the bottom of the bowl. No condensation but tobacco was bone dry probably from being stored in unsealed can.

Overall nice change of pace but probably not a daily smoke.

Darth 69 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth 69 (107)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

A McClelland disaster!

Another victory in missing the mark. A base of cigar leaf ribbon seasoned with small broken virginia flake with quite a lot of humicant added. Not much flavor comes through, smokes somewhat wet and the virginia flake is so moist that it effectively will not burn. I think I know what they are trying to do, cigar filler tobacco types are actually very bland and dry by nature. Anyone who has experimented with smoking cigar leaf in a pipe has found out. By adding a humicant it makes the cigar leaf more pliable to work with(from being to brittle) and to remove the "dry Bite." But the result is a blend of no refinement and lack of character. This really needs to be reconceptualized for it to be a worthy product.

-Not recommended