Notes: The name Deep Hollow comes from the works of JRR Tolkien. Deephallow (Deep Hollow): A village on the Shire's eastern border, built on the banks of the River Brandywine. Immediately across the river was Haysend, the southernmost point of Buckland, while just to the south of Deephallow, the River Shirebourn flowed into the Brandywine.

Blended ByMcClelland

2.7
M42 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
M42 (11)
Mild None Detected Mild Very Pleasant

I've had some of this sitting in the back of my tobacco cabinet forgotten and left aging. When I opened it I was greeted with a wonderful aroma that reminded me of fine old leather. It's hard to put your finger on what exactly this tobacco smells like unsmoked, but it is wonderful.

It packs well and smokes evenly leaving a fine white ash. Puff slowly because like every Virginia I've ever smoked you can get tongue burn if you puff too fast. But you'll want to savor the fine flavors that develop as you smoke the bowl down. This is not a strong tobacco and it leaves a very pleasant aroma in the room. I can't imagine anybody complaining about this being smoked in a crowd.

This is a very pleasant tobacco that is best enjoyed in a large bowl pipe, in the morning with a cup of coffee. Recommended.

mjcruiser Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mjcruiser (4)

My first bowl of this was not a great experience. It ended up very wet at the end and was left with quite a bit of dottle. I let the tobacco sit in the can with the plastic lid on for a week or two, and my last two bowls were very pleasant. I am a somewhat wet pipe smoker so take that information accordingly.

I would not call this tobacco an aromatic blend, although it does have a funky vanilla smell in the can. I enjoy Virginia blends and this one is quite mild, probably would be a good break into Virginia blends for someone new to them. I agree that it gets sweeter as you burn down the bowl, and it does have a real pleasant room note. All in all a nice smoke, but not a rock you sock off experience.

jeff394 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jeff394 (5)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I feel that this blend gets a bad rap because some people think of it as an aromatic Virginia, and it very well may be, but I get immense satisfaction and relaxation when I smoke Deep Hollow. Smells (to me) like molasses in the tin, none of that McClelland vinegar smell (which I love), so I suspect there may be some topping. The first light really reveals the vanilla/molasses flavor, but after a few puffs the VA taste really comes through. I find the taste to be similar to 5100, but with a campfire/pine room note. I only smoke outdoors, so that may be a part of it too. I really have to take my time and not rush this tobacco because it can bite and get sticky and harsh in the bottom half of the bowl, but when smoked slowly I just taste a quality VA. Took me almost a full tin to figure it out, but once I did my whole experience changed. Definitely a keeper in my book, and mild enough to smoke at any time. This is a great night-time smoke on the front porch.

The Dead Mule Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Dead Mule (1)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I sampled some of this on the recommendation of my local tobacconist. The tin from which he drew my sample had been, in his words, "open awhile", and the tobacco was dry, but not to the point of being dusty. This was my first smoke in a new Cavicchi, and I was very impressed. As other reviewers have noted, like most McClelland Virginias, it appears to be good for building a dependable cake (however slowly). This sample from my tobacconist had that nice meaty McClelland character, with a pleasant and light sugary foretaste before the trademark McClelland flavor. It was essentially a straight Virginia with a slight, nearly undetectable, topping.

Excited, I bought a 100g tin and opened it to find...a very heavy aromatic. 'Twas sticky and overpowering and not at all like the sample I had originally had. Cautious, I set down my Cavicchi and reached for a Peterson System, and I am glad I did. This burned well almost to the end, but eventually ended up with the inevitable & unlightable aromatic goop at the bottom. The flavoring was pleasant (but nevertheless over the top) if you are expecting an aromatic, but quite a surprise if you intended to taste a straight Virginia.

I have seen two camps of reviewers for this tobacco: those that call it an aromatic and those who proclaim it is a Virginia with no/little topping. I have seen both sides in just two tins.

I have not given up hope in this blend, and have set the tin topless in my bookcase until such time I think it can behave itself. If I can dry or age it long enough to recreate my original experience I will upgrade this review and detail what I had to do. Until then, this is a two star, fairly average, overly cased tobacco. If you are looking for a straight Virginia, get a McClelland flake (Blackwoods, for instance, is an ethereal smoke). If you are actually looking for an aromatic, this might be good right out of the tin, so long as you don't need to taste the Virginias beneath the surface.

CPT/VSG Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CPT/VSG (70)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

Deep Hollow is just not my cup of tea. I just finished an '03 tin which has been open for about 18 months but the tobacco is still sticky to the touch, which, I have to admit, puts me off. While the tin note is pleasing, DH smokes with a sense of the casing that subtracts from the fine Virginians used. Despite the stickiness, it does burn well and to a clean gray ash. It also does not smoke particularly hot. Despite those positives, for Virginia flavor, I'd go with Christmas Cheer or one of MeCelland's straight Virginias such as #27.

northernsmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
northernsmoke (2)

Red and black VAs with a initial smell of cinnamon apples. Although the smell is quite sweet I found with a bit of time, just like with all VA blends, this became mellow and creamy. If you get flare-ups, tongue bite, etc try stopping the process and try again later. If by quarter bowl the pack is roasting hot chances are it will be hard to salvage the experience. Roll slow on this one. I'm tasting apple but the overall impression is a sturdy sweet smoke with out the syrupy build-up on the tongue which usually accompanies aromatics with the same flavor. Just take care not to burn the heck out of it and this one should treat you nice.

herfinmickey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
herfinmickey (5)
Mild Very Strong Extremely Mild (Flat) Strong

I have to start off by saying that I purchased this product by accident, mistakenly thinking it to be something else. I usually enjoy English blends but went to my local Tobacconist looking to try a straight unflavored Virginia blend. Somehow I ended up with this. On arriving home I popped the top of the can (you wouldn't use the term "tin" for this stuff) and found that I had actually pulled the pin on a live noxious vanilla potpourri grenade. Inside the can I found a darkly colored salad of goopy "tobacco". The sickening aroma emanating from the can was like Captain Black on steroids. I quickly replaced the cover extinguishing the emanating fumes. Later feeling braver I decided that I may as well give it a try. I decided to sacrifice an old, worn, seldom used Jobey once purchased on Ebay for this effort. Upon lighting I was transported in something of a time traveling experience to an earlier unenlightened period of immature drug store blend pipe smoking. The taste was bland, somewhat pleasant, without the slightest hint of tobacco flavor. Soon however the evil gnomes that dwell in this blend became angry and began to pour their boiling kettle of sugar syrup and tar on my unprotected tongue. I quickly terminated smoking and placed the now befouled pipe on the table. This is an experience that I do not intend to repeat.

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (141)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

This isn't a terribly bad blend, it's just not a terribly good one, either. If I'm in the mood for an aromatic I can think of several that are better, but this one nonetheless has a distinctive taste and aroma that sets it apart from others (apple, maybe, or fig?). When you get halfway down the bowl you're mainly tasting the classic McClelland flavor -- dark Virginia with some kind of weird ketchup overtones. Anyway, this isn't terrible enough to warrant a single star but definitely not good enough to merit more than two. If you like Va-based aromatics, give it a whirl -- you might just enjoy it.

Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

A very good blend for McClelland. I personally am a Cornell&Diehl man and am not in love with most McClelland Products,but this is actually quite good. A very good Virginia flavor with some type of casing that lends a slightly sweet note to the blend. Not really a straight Virginia,nor an aromatic. It is what I would call an "in betweener".A good change of pace blend-kind of like "Valle Crucis"My big problem with this was it gets you in the back of the throat.You will need a lot of water to rehydrate after this one. Almost 3 stars.

CaptnDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptnDan (242)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

The question rages, is it an aromatic, or is it not? The Deep Hollow I smoked was six years old at the time. There is nothing semi-aromatic about this stuff ? it is an aromatic all the way. The vanilla topping completely overshadowed the underlying Virginia leaf.

I think it is possible that the Va?s have mellowed with age, and that the topping was not this strong at first. I will let the rest of what I have sit in a baggie for a few months and see if time doesn?t mellow the Vanilla?

Not at all what I expected from a well-aged McClelland blend.

Extremely Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

I was reading another reviewer's impressions of Deep Hollow and noticed I had a couple of typos in my review. So, this is really just a little clean up on my part.

This straight Virginia is artificially flavored. Like all McClelland Virginias, the quality is uncompromising. But, the added flavoring makes the tobacco sticky and hard to keep lit. One positive note about Deep Hollow -- you will not get the typical McClelland vinager/Ketchup smell when you pop the tin. It has a sweet smell with no tang whatsoever, almost vanilla like.

It is indeed one of the mildest straight Virginias I've ever tried. Tasteless frankly. I had to keep looking at the smoke to satisfy myself that my pipe was lit. There is a light dressing of some sort, (perhaps vanilla) but my nose just couldn't identify it.

If you like an all day, tasteless tobacco, then this stuff is for you. If, on the other hand, your taste buds are yearning for a "manly" smoke, this one's a little light in the loafers.

Sykes Wilford Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sykes Wilford (35)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

Having avoided aromatics for years now, I finally feel it's my duty to try and review a few objectively. I haven't been an aromatic smoker for a very long time-- alternatively smoking Englishes and Virginia and Va/Perique blends, I have long looked down on Aromatics. Well, I guess I finally feel sufficiently comfortable with my status as a discriminating smoker to try and review a few of these (NB: my tongue is firmly pressed against my cheek before I start getting hate mail).

I don't detect much of the ketchupy smell that predominates in so many McClelland's blends. The tin aroma is pleasant-- raisins and figs predominate along with a distinctly vanilla scent that seems to tie it all together.

The tobacco itself appears to be a combination of light, red and dark Virginias along with Black Cavendish, which makes up possibly 20 or 25% of the blend.

The flavor is much as I would have expected given the tin aroma. There is clearly a casing of some sort, though I can't put my finger on exactly what it is. I honestly don't much care for the flavor. I just don't like cased tobaccos and I can't get past that to enjoy the blend. The room note is superb, however. I enjoy this blend very much when I am not the one smoking it.

JustinCarcerated Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JustinCarcerated (50)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I wasnt aware of this toby prior to my Mrs. purchasing this blindly as part of.a Christmas YABO ( she has yet to look up the wishlist I've labored hours on end compiling on this site :)

So I didnt research this tin prior to opening. Biases have thereby been unintentionally reduced therein. The tin note is superb, strong earthy chocolatey almost Latakia type smells, slightly vanilla and cinnamon lime -with the latter two lingering my mid-tin.

It was perfect moisture- wise, no relights necessary, and I find it smoked best for me in both cob and large billiard Velani. Sweet, smooth, lat-like coolness near to mid-bowl, whereupon a conscious effort was necessary to keep the Virginias from overwhelming my tongue. A natural French Vanilla with a sugary sweetness is what I chase bowl to bowl here.

I really dig this, as I get a qualty Va. and a smooth aromatic in concert with each other. To date my favorite aros all had cavendish as the base toby, except the Vaper La Flake (which still has in my mind a Bobs C flake chocolate derivative)

Aros take me 3x as long to consume as English blends, but I'm thinking not so long with this blend.

Great option for Aro fans, potential Virginia converts...

Pipe Used: MM, Peterson 310, Aldo V billiard

Age When Smoked: 4/23/2012

Purchased From: Pipes&Cigars.com

Kraft1994 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kraft1994 (54)

When people talk about that awful ketchup aroma and flavor that plaques some virginia blend.... they are talking about this blend. When I think of virginia tobacco I think of a sugary sweetness, with the flavor and aroma of hay (in a good way). This blend has none of that. It has acidic qualities to it with almost a vinegar flavor. Deep Hollow is also a tongue biter. A huge letdown from the usually fantastic blenders at McClelland. They make some of the greatest English/Balkin blends on the market but when it comes to virginias they dropped the ball.

RonL Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RonL (3)
Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I recently took up the pipe again after a long absence, and the first order of business was to determine what kind of tobacco I liked. A friend likes McClelland tobaccos, so that's where I started. To date, I've tried the following McClelland blends: Town Topic, Deep Hollow, Frog Morton's Cellar, 2045 Oriental Mixture (bulk) and Holiday Spirit. In addition, I've tried Orlik Golden Sliced, and a few unknown-identity tobacco store blends my friend gave me known as "Black Cavendish Caramel" and "Oxford."

Now, on to Deep Hollow. Admittedly, I was first attracted to this blend because of its description: "Far into the woods, away from the urban cacophony, is where the light, fragrant blend of rich Red Stoved Virginias is designed to transport the smoker. Relax and enjoy the moment." How could you not be intrigued by that, right? Well, then I started reading the reviews, which were almost always positive. So I ordered a can. Boy was that a good idea!

The blend gets sweeter as you move through the bowl. Being a Virginia, you can get tongue bite if you smoke it too fast. But smoking slow is a good discipline to learn anyway, so slow down and you'll really enjoy this. It's flavorful, but not in a smoky, ashtray-like Latakia way (I've decided I don't like Latakia at all). Deep Hollow is just a very nice, relaxing, enjoyable smoke, sweet and flavorful.

Interestingly, Town Topic is my favorite tobacco, but lately, I've grabbed Deep Hollow more than Town Topic. Once you start with Deep Hollow, it gets hold of you. For me, I like each bowl better than the one before. This one's a keeper!

Quaffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Quaffer (18)
Mild Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

You might like this if you smoke aromatics, but I can't stand it. Smokes hot, tastes like chemicals, leaves a goopy mess in your pipe. I left the tobacco spread out on a tray, in a draft, for 3 days. Wasn't any drier than when I first bought it. Smoked a bowl of this every once in a while the past 4 months to see if it would get better, but it didn't.

Don't waste your time with this blend. Or any non-english blend by McClelland.

bteddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bteddy (20)

This blend contains red and black stoved Virginias with possibly a slight casing, it could be just the sweetness of the Virginias but I detect a vanilla sweetness, not enough to overpower the taste just a nice addition. This is one of the few Virginia tobaccos that I could actually enjoy, burned right and very little bite if smoked properly. A good switch from my usual English. Tasty. New pipe smokers should give this a try.

pipelovingcalvinist Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipelovingcalvinist (68)

This is a nice quiet Virginia. I say quiet because there is no bold in your face flavors or nic hit, just a pleasant Virginia tobacco taste, and sometimes that's all you want.

Soli Deo gloria!

RyeWhiskey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RyeWhiskey (43)

Smooth tobacco blend. The tin note has the 'McClelland' aroma to it, but that goes away with a pipe. Pack it lightly and it smokes great. I tried it out of the tin right away and it was a bit to moist to keep lit. It has aged in a mason jar for a year, and now smokes to the bottom with no re-lights.

The room-note is pleasant, and it has a nice note that I just can't place, but the odor that you inhale is there and really is a great smoke. It is a mild smoke, and has a sweetness to it. I really like this blend, the Virginia's are top notch. I will always have more on hand so I don't run out and it ages.

HellOnAStick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HellOnAStick (3)

I've just finished my 2 oz 'can' of this blend. It had some moments. I detected a very light maple casing from time to time, and the Virginia's were pretty up-front. I enjoyed the mild-medium taste profile, nothing was too overwhelming. I smoked cigarettes for many years and this blend of all the other McClelland's that I've smoked is a satisfying blend of flavor, room-note and tobacco taste, though I agree with some others that it has less nicotine than I'd like. Another note, my can was from 06. I'd be willing to wager that most of the negative reviews on this tobacco have been very new cans and the better reviews of this blend have been the older varieties. The tobacco smelled wonderful out of the can, very raisin/fig aroma, no unnatural scents or flavors, i love how this matures in the bowl to an almost 'cigary' strength and complexity at the bottom of my bent. Reccomended for those who are moving in the direction of 'real tobacco' from aro's or cigarettes.

whitebriar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
whitebriar (29)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

this was a strange one when i first lit up--

i wasn't expecting something approaching an aromatic---besides being surprised, i was also pleased--i don't care for aromatics due to the heavy casing and PGs most blenders employ--i DO however enjoy an occasional bowl of sweeter tobacco--

this is your blend if you don't like traditional AROs--it's a good change of pace--packs well, burns right, very cool, doesn't bite at all-- a perfect "sweet tooth" fix for the non ARO smoker--

EDIT:

goin' on a year later--have to drop the rating to 2 stars--just never seemed to get going to me as time progressed--very little tobacco flavor--guess i'm just a burley man at heart--

for what it is, it's OK--just not my tobacco

TK Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TK Pipe (101)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

Deep hollow … An attractive mahogany and black cut tobacco mixture, with a tin aroma of slightly soured pumpkin spices, kind of pleasant.

Of the McC Virginia blends I've tried, this one is not my favorite, maybe it's the topping, maybe it's the lack of strength, I'm not sure, but I found DH lacking. You can kick up the taste a notch by drying this stuff to almost crispy, but that did nothing for its “n” strength. I would call this blend a fantastic cigarette tobacco, but I prefer a bit more stand alone tobacco punch in my pipe.

The Bull Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Bull (1)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Look, I'm a very new pipe smoker. Indeed, a NON_smoker. While I did smoke a pipe while trout fishing if the bugs were bad, it was never a 'habit' nor 'hobby'. Now that I'm older, with extra time, I've decided to look at pipe smoking again with pleasure in mind. 'Deep Hollow' is my first step into the world of tinned pipe tobaccos, & I must say, I am impressed! It is a smooth, mild, dry smoke with a fine nose. Perhaps not up to the standards of those confirmed pipe smokers, but it has met my needs and desires perfectly!

Coyote Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Coyote (7)
Mild Very Mild Mild Very Pleasant

Maple, brown sugar and just a touch of vanilla are in the taste and they are very subdued, a hint, not at all the main taste. The puffed aroma is a nice subtle maple. Three years ago I was smoking some of the McClelland aromatics, particularly Town Topic. TT has a maple flavoring and it is quite strong, it's also a burley and cavendish. This is a very nice and slightly sweet VA with those subdued aromas and flavors. It smokes very nicely, no bite. I can smell the maple & brown sugar in the tin, the vinegar is only apparent just after opening and disappears. I let my pipe tobacco dry for about an hour, I live in AZ with next to zero humidity so any longer and it turns to desert dust. As many others have written this is a "non-aromatic, aromatic" The VA is quite tasty and the flavors add to the overall taste.

Lovin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lovin (2)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I have tried samuel gawith's perfection which was full bodied but kind of plain, 3 oaks by mccellend which was tangy and fairly strong, old dog which was smooth and flavorful and their holiday blend which for sure had a fake sorta taste you'd get tired of... This is by far my favorite. The sweet mild and complex flavor kicks in without being overwhelming but may dissapoint those whonlike really strong ones, in which case id recommend old dog, or just tangy and stronger the three oaks syrian. This was my first tobacco that tasted good moist and may be better that way!

LeFlaneur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LeFlaneur (6)

I'm on a McClelland Tolkien kick lately. Frogs, Grey Havens, and this...

This is barely an aromatic. Others have debated the flavor; I get a hint apple. To me it's very pleasant, subtle, and goes beautifully with the Virginias. In fact, sweet Virginia is mostly what you get.

I'd describe this as "unchallenging" in the best sense of the word. Maybe it's not robust enough to cap off a meal with a glass of port. Instead, take a stroll, read a book, take a break when the fish aren't biting. (Speaking of which, it doesn't bite easily but it will if you puff too fast.)

This may be too mild an not complex enough for seasoned smokers. For those like me who like light sweet Viginias, it's a winner. If your are a new smoker I especially recommend this.

Marshall Law Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Marshall Law (50)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

A tasty, light, sweet, and sometimes tangy virginia concoction with a hint of perhaps a mild vanilla or maple casing, and likely a smidge of orientals as well. Lights and smokes easily, with plenty of thick, fragrant smoke, down to a light gray ash, with no re-lights. A great introduction to mild, sugary, smooth virginias. A touch of hay, cut grass, and green apple can be detected mid-bowl. A well done blend! I keep some on hand for a lighter, mellow smoke in the rotation that simply won't bite or overpower in any way, no matter how enthusiastically you rail away at it. Has real virginia flavor despite bordering on a light aromatic, yet without any of the heavy, sweet perfumed gurgling downsides. Great stuff! The more I smoke it, the more I enjoy it. Three and a half stars.

RangePool Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RangePool (6)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

This is a mild, mostly virginia tobacco. In my mind, it has some virginia sweetness, but it doesn't stand out that much. It smokes easily, it doesn't bite, but it doesn't have enough flavor to really keep my attention or for me to consider returning to it anytime soon. You might consider it a candidate to smoke while going for a walk or while working in the yard, or as an all-day smoke if that's your thing.

adauria Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
adauria (4)

I bought a tin of this a few years ago and opened it at that time. I just finished the 100g tin after I'd guess perhaps 5 years in a jar (dipping in for occasional bowls throughout those years). Overall this tobacco is a winner for me.

It is definitely flavorful and on the sweet, rich side of the VA spectrum. I'm in the camp that believes it is lightly cased (but I sure can't put a name on the casing flavor). If it isn't cased then maybe there are non-latakia orientals in there.

When it was young, it was definitely on the moist side, but over time dried a bit. The tobacco in the tin appears dark and smells sweetly fragrant.

The aged specimen lights well without much drying, though I remember it needing a little drying when young. The flavor starts sweet and pretty much stays there. It is a tad tangy at times, but in a good way that supports the sweetness. The bowl never gets too strong or especially complex, though it is pleasant throughout especially if you manage to keep it cool. The burning properties are about average.

The room note is surprisingly pleasant, certainly by the standards of a straight VA. I often choose this blend when I knew I'd be smoking around others. Still, it is definitely as just as good or better from the smoker's perspective.

If you are looking for stronger VA flavors, more nicotine or anything approaching an English or VAPer, look elsewhere. But if you want a pleasant, mild, sweet and fragrant smoke this is a good place to start. In fact, if you are an aromatic smoking looking to make a jump to VAs, this is definitely one worth checking out.

Chatsworth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Chatsworth (52)
Mild Extremely Mild Medium Very Pleasant

What a wonderful smoke. Great virginia taste. Getting a little up the nose adds to the flavor. Sweet, maybe with a hint of vanilla. McClelland virginia's are rapidly becoming my favorite smoke.

Uruss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Uruss (7)

I took a chance on this Tobacco, since it was only in a 100g tin. I decided to go ahead and pick it up, the description on the tin sold me.

"a lightly fragrant blend of rich, red and black stoved Virginias"

I've been told it's lightly cased with Vanilla. I couldn't tell, I thought it wasn't cased at all, it has that natural sweet virginia taste, which is excellent. It reall comes out mid way through the bowl.

I'd reccomend this for VA lovers, It's a really pleasant smoke. It could be an all day smoke for sure.

john1179 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
john1179 (10)

====ON A PERSONAL NOTE IF YOU ARE A ENGLISH SMOKER AND OLNY LIKE ENGLISH THEN PLEASE DONT RIP APART STRAIGHTS OR AROMATICS THIS CAN BE VERY MISLEADING TO THE NEW PIPE SMOKERS=======

THIS IS A VERY NICE MILD BLEND, IN WHICH I WAS ALITTLE NERVOUS ABOUT TRYING AFTER I OPENED IT UP. AT FIRST HAS THAT MCCELLAND KETCHUP SMELL. BUT AFTER LETTING SIT OPEN FOR A WEEK AND THEMN SMOKING A PIPE FULL, YOU DONT EVEN NOTICE IT. JUST A NICE RELAXING SMOKE W/ NO BITE AT ALL.I WOULD RECOMMEND TO THE NEW AND OLD SMOKER.

sagesmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sagesmoke (14)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I'm get alot of bite outta this but it is a bit too dry, I think (a tin from '04). It's all sizzle to start off but after a rest and about halfway down it's mellowed a bit. I'm sure I could use some practice on my virginia technique but I don't have this problem with Old Gowrie or Reiner LGF. Might be good for someone looking for a bridge from aromatics to virginias.

Briar Mike Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Briar Mike (17)

Another one that I find I can smoke on any occasion. Compared to say, Frog Morton, or Grey Havens, it is milder and in my opinion, cooler. I like to smoke it from a deep, tall bowl, so I usually pair it with my billiard, even though I tend to have to relight halfway through it seems. Its not a blend for everyone, it might be a great one to keep around for curious friends to try as an entry to the hobby. I acutally married this with a tin of British Woods pretty effectively. It could be used well to mellow out stronger offerings.

Not one I will buy often, but it has its place.

Update, I am lowering the rating, I got tired of too many bowls of this being hard to keep lit, you have to overpuff at times to keep it together, makes for too much work. When right, flavors are good, but its hard to keep together through an entire bowl.

Bob Smith Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bob Smith (8)
Mild None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

Deep Hollow, like all the McClelland Virginias, is an extraordinary tobacco. It is as sweet as honey, and has a bold, spicy flavor. By spicy I don't mean peppery, like Perique, but like the brown spices: cloves, allspice and cinnamon. Its sweetness comes from the natural sugars in the leaf, not from any top flavoring or casing. I like its soft, fluffy texture. It also ages wonderfully.

Besides enjoying it on its own, I use it as a blending tobacco. I like English blends, but I prefer those with a bit of sweetness. If I try a new English blend and I like it, but it isn't at all sweet, I can usually make it more to my liking by adding a little Deep Hollow. I also use it whenever I break in a new pipe. The sugars really season the briar quickly.

The only negative for me about this blend is the same drawback I find with all straight Virginias: they don't have the richness or body of a good English blend. They're like eating sorbet instead of ice cream.

I have posted the identical review for Virginia Woods. To me, Virginia Woods and Deep Hollow taste almost exactly the same. Both are great, but virtually indistinguishable from each other.

AI Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AI (3)
Mild Extremely Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I found Deep Hollow a great blend. It taste great, smokes cool and has room note that is enjoyed even by the nonsmokers. In some ways the taste and aroma reminds me of a blend I used to smoke called Black and Gold, but the tobacco blend in Deep Hollow is quite different. The red and black stoved Virginias in Deep Hollow are of the highest quality. Great job McClelland!

Pipemanuk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipemanuk (76)

This was a revelation to me and so far its a bit unique. I am an english smoker, as you probably guessed from the name :-), and this tobacco makes such a nice change from almost everything else I smoke. I only came across it because of good old Ebay but I am so glad I went out and grabbed a completely unknown, to me, tobacco. Like others, I regret that its only available in tins and not bulk. Maybe McClelland will reconsider their policy if enough ask. Why do i like this so much? Well, its gentle sweet taste is a perfect change from the eternal english varieties that are everywhere these days...don't get me wrong, I love Westminster, but I need a complete change from time to time and this is what I find myself returning to. Its such an american blend that it's completely different from all the tobacco's I have been used to for years. I think of Mick McQuaid, FVF, 1792, Brown Rope, Westminster, etc etc and Deep Hollow is so far apart from them. I would love to find something similar to it, to be honest, just to give it a fair trial.....but,as it stands, this deserves 4 stars in my book.

Update May 2008 Just got hold of some 1991 Deep Hollow in one of the old style tins. Interestingly this was marketed as one of the Personal Reserve Oriental series! This is so changed from modern Deep Hollow as to be an utterly different tobacco. Maybe they changed the recipe some time? Modern DH contains what looks like 3 individual tobacco's; a mixture of light, medium and dark brown strands. The 1991 has just dark brown and black strands: the sweetness that you can smell in the modern tin has vanished and the aroma is earthy, pungent and strong. By contrast, it smokes smooth with all the high notes of modern DH missing. Its almost smoky, utterly delicious, no tongue bite and absolutely nothing like modern day Deep Hollow. In the spirit of true tobacco geekery I have just cracked open a 1995 tin, the earliest year that I have which has a label similar to, but not exactly the same as, the modern tins. The 1995 version has the same mix of tobacco as the modern tins though obviously with 13 years aging it smokes differently. If you can lay your hands on any well aged Deep Hollow I do strongly recommend you try it even if you think that you are not a fan of DH:-)

Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This blend is the best of the crossover blends I have tried. It has all the delicious attributes of VA tobacco, but the black Cavendish adds a cooling effect to the blend. The tin note is very reserved, what you do get is the typical McClelland vinegar smell. I mostly smoke English tobacco and find when I get careless I smoke VA's too hot. This is not a problem with this blend. I would say that the Cavendish does not add much to the blend in the taste department. The Va's are naturally sweet, complex and delicate. What the Cavendish does offer is a safety net to puff without paying as close attention to your speed.

Glorfindel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Glorfindel (57)
Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant

UPDATE:

Upgrading to 3 stars, this ages well with oxygen exposure become a little stronger and more flavorful. Also, this is NOT and aromatic. It IS a light straight VA with an almost non-existant topping. This is a great all day smoke for the lighter VA crowd (me:).

If you have this blend and didn't care for it, give it some time I have smoked a LOT worse

ORIGINAL: 3-14-2008

Light carmel notes, maybe imagination or not, but it's very light.

The VAs used here are mild to almost tasteless, but I can't say I didn't like this blend, I liked it more than I disliked it.

It will perform as a dependable, very average smoke. Whips the pants off any drugstore blend that I can think of, just not enough zing for me.

I can imagine that anyone who keeps the McC blending stocks could create something neat and tastey with this mix. I'd say a dash of oriental and latakia might make some magic here.

This is not a heavily cased aromatic, just a lightly topped VA in the mild dept.

Not bad but not great, definitley has potential. I think I just talked myself into buying the full compliment of McC's blending varieties.

Good Draw to You, Sincerely

Ethan "Glorfindel" Dickey

imago Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
imago (63)
Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

Revision 02/26/2008: This remains a pleasant tobacco, IMO; however, I have apparently exposed myself to too many much more substantial tobaccos which leave me finding Deep Hollow just a bit too light. McCranie's Red Flake gives me the tang and sparkle that I used to enjoy in Deep Hollow whilst also giving me real tobacco flavour.

Original review: I first reviewed this tobacco a few years ago and, although I had smoked many tobaccos before then and have smoked quite a few since, THIS is the blend to which I keep returning. Other favourites have come and gone from my cellar, but this is the only one (aside from Balkan Sasieni and McClelland's 5100) that I keep in constant supply. A slightly sweet, woodsy aroma is left behind in the room, and it burns to a fine grey ash. I have searched unsuccessfully for a reasonable facsimile of this blend that can be purchased in bulk. I have resigned myself to purchasing multiple tins of this blend each month just to make sure that I will never have to go without.

miracleman83 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
miracleman83 (13)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Of what I understand to be "crossover blends", this is my favorite. Not as good as a straight english or vaper, but a nice changeup.

indyf1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
indyf1 (17)
Very Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

Deep Hollow is not a bad blend, although I really can't say it is a good one either. It has a very simple taste -- no real depth and no real "tobacco" taste. However, neither is the casing overwhelming -- it's there, but is simply not accompanied by a good tobacco taste. The flavor is light vanilla with a tangy finish. That aftertaste was very familiar. At first, I thought of an apple spice cake, but then it hit me -- it's a subdued version of that characteristic McClelland "ketchupy" flavor. All in all, this is not too bad of a smoke, but not one I'll purchase a second time.

While smoking Deep Hollow, I can see myself at a company picnic. It is July -- hot, humid -- and the barbecue grill is smoking under the pavilion with hamburgers and hot dogs roasting away. I'm sweating, but not as much as the poor bastards playing in the softball game pitting the second floor workers against the third floor suits. My straight briar billows regularly with the sweet, inoffensive smoke of this McClelland blend.

Ewoth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ewoth (5)
Mild Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I enjoy this blend, it reminds me of being out in the woods, just like the packaging says. I find little to be more enjoying than smoking this alone at night, outside, just sitting and watching the smoke rise to the tree branches above.

I find this to be moist, but not to the point where it'll fill your bowl with goo, making it hard to draw in the smoke.

romaso Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
romaso (36)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

I'm a vanilla aromatic guy, but this one's not for me. The flavor was predominantly sweet apple, and alot of it, and any vanilla was overwhelmed by it.

If you have a sweet tooth and like apple, this is for you, as the tobacco is good quality also. Still, too sweet for me!

OPCguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OPCguy (46)
Very Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Deep Hollow is a nice blend to turn to if you want something a little sweet. There is a faint hint of vanilla here and the Virginias mask it well, allowing the creamy vanilla to trickle through ever so slightly. Deep Hollow is a nice and decent smoke. However, I am on a quest to find a few good blends to stick with and DH just doesn't have enough interests for me to keep around...glad I tried it though. I prefer Frog Morton On The Town by same blender. Enjoy!

Cactus John Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cactus John (34)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

This is a nice tobacco very similar to Virginia Woods but not quite as good. It will improve a great deal with age. The more age the better. When what I have of this is gone I wont be getting any more just because I'm going over to Virginia Woods for what I keep this around fore.

DUPE.1512 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

If you like red and black VA's which are flavorful this is the one. The strength of this weed is it's ability to keep the tastebuds interested and happy while engaged in another activity and in such, are smoking in auto mode. Packs, lights and burns easy with no tounge bite. I wish this came in bulk.

memlapse Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
memlapse (10)

With the mixed bag of ratings, I was slow to try this blend. I can't say that I was necessarily missing out with there being so many other blends that I have tried and enjoyed. This blend just happened to work with my chemistry. I found it very flavorful and with just enough sweetness to satisfy that occasional craving. What I found more interesting was that over a period of a month, I managed to smoke a 100gm tin without realizing it. So much for the occasional craving. I think what I liked about it, was that it kept my taste buds happy during those times when I was in "auto-puff" mode. I have to be careful when I do that with some blends as I can either fry my tongue or miss the subtle nuances of more complex blends. It's a non-thinking smoke, and there are times when my subconcious likes to enjoy a pipe, while the rest of the brain is balancing the checkbook. While this may not be a hallmark tobacco, is has it's place.

emmbee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
emmbee (174)
Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

This is one of those unusual crossover blends between the world of mature Virginias for which McClelland is justly famous, and an aromatic that may cause you to ask 'why bother?' The tin indicates that this will transport you deep into the woods away from the urban cacophony, and yet, the not unpleasant, though somewhat cloying vanilla casing seems to direct the palate straight out of the woods and deep into an urban headshop replete with black lights & Gonesh incense sticks. It's better than the pecan flavored Mellow Mack, which is a blend I sort of cared for but now shy away from. It's not as good as the nougat luciousness of Best of Show by the same maker. However, my mouth watered upon opening the tin. It's a cross between a fine shag & a cavendish with some quality Virginias as the backbone. It doesn't sear but it nips the back of the tongue. The scent is pleasant enough. Reminds me a bit of aromatics ala Tinder Box. It can smoke rather musky, leaving the heel with wet dottle. It's really not bad, though I'll stick with McC's Frog Mortons & their Personal Reserve series. In the world of aromatic crossovers, there's a lot better stuff out there worthy of your time & consideration. For example, see my review on Iwan Ries's King's Oriental or Wilke's Bohemian. Now those are aromatics!

Two and a half of five stars

Thatcher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Thatcher (58)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Deep Hollow is a nice, light, vanilla-flavored aromatic mixture. McClelland is very good at doing this type of very mild, smooth, and tongue-bite-free aromatic. Like Captain Cool, Mellow Mac, or their Evening Stroll (under the Benjamin Hartwell label), Deep Hollow avoids the numerous pitfalls endemic to aromatics; it is sweet yet not cloying, moist yet not ?gloopy,? tasty yet without a lingering aftertaste, and allows you to taste the Virginias without torching your tongue. I?m not a huge aromatic fan anymore, but when I get a craving, these light McClelland blends hit the spot like no other aromatics can. If I smoked aromatics more regularly, this would get an ?I smoke this on occasion? rating for sure. And as I have found with every other member of the Craftsbury Collection, this makes a great blend for pipe smokers making their first foray into the realm of better-quality, tinned tobaccos.

Get Bent Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Get Bent (1)

I picked up a year old can of this based on my tobacconist's recommendation about five months ago and finally opened it. I did not notice the standard "McClelland odor", which threw me after reading all the reviews, but I wrote it off as the additional aging. After letting it dry for five days I loaded a pipe and sat down to relax after work. WOW! I enjoyed it so much I used it to break in a new piece I had recently added to my collection. Deep Hollow smoked cool and to a nice grey ash with little to no tounge bite, no matter how furiously I puffed. It definitely is not your standard cased aromatic, but it had enough flavor to keep me guessing, and enough tobacco flavor and nicotine strength to keep me interested. The Latakia smokers out there will probably not enjoy this blend but the aromatic smokers will find it a nice foray into straight Virginia territory and it could satisfy the Virginia lover's sweet tooth. After a minimum of one years additional aging, Deep Hollow will definitely become a regular in my rotation.

Briarabbit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Briarabbit (116)

Today I purchased a tin of this that was five years old, and have smoked a couple of bowls already. I'm not sure how this blend would have been when it was new.It is an aromatic with valilla flavoring. The tobacco envolved is good Virginia leaf and smells good in the tin. When smoked it is most uneventful,and bland.This tobacco is way to mild.

Tbombadil Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tbombadil (11)

Deep Hollow, natural or aromatic? It appears that the majority consider this an aromatic. Well, if so, it's sure not a goopy Lane (ever notice how well those two words go together?) type aromatic. As a matter of fact this is the kind of blend that die hard English/ Va smokers will nod and say, " Ahh yes, a crossover blend." Well maybe it is but it's a very relaxing pleasant blend just as is. Although a bit too sweet for an all day smoke this one does indeed make a nice change of pace for those times when something gentler is desired.

If you're just getting started in the wide world of Virginias this might be a good one to try, never mind the labels. If you seldom smoke anything but "pure" tobaccos this might be an eye opening change of pace. _____________________________________

I recently opened another tin of this a year or so later than when I did this review. What a difference a year makes. While I still stand by most of the earlier review it's plain to me that this stuff is certainly an aromatic.... and I just don't care that much for aromatics any more. That being said I still think it would make a good starter blend for someone moving away from Lane type aromatics and looking for a more real tobacco.

The Keeper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Keeper (112)

Update 01/06/03 Having been in the world of the pipe for much longer now, I felt obligated to update this review. Maybe I was more patient, or luckier with my first purchase of Deep Hollow - but a can I've been nursing for months is not worth the dreamy room note and Tolkien nostalgia.
Still tasting alright, when I can taste something. The scents are warm and hearth like. Reminiscient of the best of autumn. Keeping it lit and getting a clean burn is a chore. I could smoke it as a mindless "candy" tobacco if not for the constant effort of keeping it lit.

The Plus side - whatever chemistry is in this stuff leaves a very nice coat which helps to break in a pipe. IF you plan to use it for aromatics that is.

Unfortunately - a downgrade in rating.

Original Review:
It should be noted that I am a fairly new pipe smoker and am still refining some basics (such as my tamping and puffing skills) but felt it was time to offer another review or two (also see my Frog Morton review).

I jumped right from drugstore stuff (which I now do see as evidence of the devil on earth)to some of the more refined Rattrays and Esoterica blends. After a few weeks of hitting "the hard stuff" and thinking "this is what pipe smoking really tastes like" I decided to pull back and try out some sweeter, lighter blends. Being a Tolkien fan, the McClellands were for me a natural and good starting point.

Deep Hollow - alright, so the name and package sold me. And I hadn't tried a "higher end" VA yet or aromatic yet.

The can and room aroma are wonderful. Light, earthy and sweet all at the same time. I will take more experienced smokers word for it that the casing is Vanilla, but it is subtle and smooth. The taste is fairly mild to the point of being flat at times. I feel like I am smoking this more to smell it, than to get a strong and depthful taste.

The tobacco - as I gather all McClellands are - was very wet upon arrival. It took about a week of being opened and shelved for it to dry out to an even smoke. Until then - lots of gurgle and a bit of bite...much wetness at the bowl bottom and many relights.

Now about 2 weeks later I get a fairly even smoke and air drying out the tobacco further kills some of the casing and has resulted in a bit of a painful smoke. Straight out of the can at this point it leaves me with a relaxing and sense pleasing smoke that requires minimal effort: perhaps a relight or two through out the bowl but nothing disruptive to the enjoyment. I am breaking in a new handmade briar with it and as long as I cooperate with the pipe and tobacco, it cooperates with me. Smoking too fast or too thickly packed still results in gurgle and sourness.

I see this as a very pleasant "relaxation" smoke. Perhaps I'm just easy to please. It doesn't give me a deep, potent experience (such as some of the more potent latakia/VAs do) but it has kept me interested enough to go back and will probably convince me to keep some of this on hand. I'd say this wouldn't be for everyone, but would recommend it to those wanting to bridge the gap between aromatic/sweets and some of the strong stuff. The step of flavored schnapps between table wine and Wild Turkey? Perhaps, but I can be a girly drink drunk on occasion so that analogy makes sense in my case.

Very Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

The tin aroma of this nicely prepared mixture of red and dark VAs + Black Cavendish was as inviting as the room aroma. If the taste was only as good, this would be an enjoyable smoke. From the tin, the tobacco was too moist for me and benefited from drying. However, in doing this, some of the casing disappeared and a rather bland taste remained. It was also well rubbed out and I still prefer tobacco in flake or plug form. If I was smoking more to please others with the aroma, this would be an ideal smoke. However, even McClelland has better bulk offerings where the sweetness is from natural tobacco rather than additives. This blend might be enjoyed by new pipe smokers but lacks the flavor and strength of my prefered VA flakes and Va/Perique blends.

Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

This is another one of McClelland's semi-aromatic blends with names from Tolkien's Ring series, the best known of which is probably Frogmorton.

Deep Hollow is basically blend of stoved Virginias and some vanilla essence. The essence isn't overdone like an actual vanilla aromatic, its mostly present in the aroma and only slightly in the taste, which is primarily of the virginias (although the vanilla does build up a bit after a few bowls in the same pipe).

I'm primarily an English smoker, but this blend is a surprisingly good change-of-pace smoke, and it comes in handy if you want to smoke around non-smokers without ruining a perfectly good pipe with propylene glycol.

Mild Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

Deep Hollow. Is this McClelland's tobacco an aromatic or not? You could probably ask 20 people and get 25 opinions on this subject. I am only decided that this is a fragrant tobacco, along the line of a couple of the Rattray's blends. Opening the tin of Deep Hollow presents a little of that usual McClelland smell as well as tobacco that gives a little vanilla-esque nose. This is another tobacco that can be a little moist in the can and some drying certainly doesn't hurt. The tobacco packs well and light easily if you have followed the slight drying process. Deep Hollow is a very nice tobacco to both the smoker and those around. The flavour is not what you expect from the smell in the can - instead it is that of excellent stoved Virginias, which to my palatte is more toward the black Virginia rather than red Virginias in this blend. The vanilla really doesn't come through that much in the smoke and is probably there for the spouse. This tobacco can bite, but only if you do you best impression of a Hoover on the pipe. Overall, this is a nice fragrant tobacco that burns clean to a grey ash.

WxGuy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WxGuy (95)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Well, this is McClelland blend that does not get me excited in any way. After significant drying and about 6 months of aging, I can see little improvement.

Nothing here offends, but nothing really grabs me about it either. Dark Star it is not. In my mind, a good virginia builds to a crescendo, but DH plods along... and then the show is over. The end of the bowl also tends to be a bit harsh, not a worthy price to pay for a 10% or so strengthening of taste.

Maybe I will try this againg after a year or two more aging, which can work wonders on even the most mundane of virginias. I prefer my virginias, if at all, in the flake form.

SFC/E7 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SFC/E7 (93)

I find this blend to be a very esquisite by McClelland and I generally do not care for the McClelland Tobaccos.

To the debate, is it or is it not an aromatic or is it or is it not a natural tobacco? Tough call, although being an aromatic connoisseur I would say this is a conflict between the aromatic and the natural arormas of the Red and Stoved Virginias.

I find Deep Hollow to be a very intriguing blend that has influenced a sensation of sweetness to my liking.

I also find that by leaving this tobacco for a few days in a jar increases the prodominate taste of the Virginias to their fullness. But... again there is that same old cnflict; Is it, or is it not?

Oh what the hell, I enjoy this tobacco in my Eric Neilsen and my Balleby and really that is all it really matters.

Theodoric Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Theodoric (8)

This is alright, but for a lightly aromatic Virginia blend, I prefer Two Friends' "Heritage." Deep Hollow just doesn't smoke all that well, and it doesn't amaze me enough to put up with the constant relighting. It tastes good, though, and definitely smells good...Heritage just tastes and smells better.

Very Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

Deep Hollow was something of a disappointment. To start with, I detected a slight vanilla like casing, which somehow diminishes the tobacco?s natural flavour. Then, there is a hint of that vinegar smell, present in many McClelland blends.

It was easy to pack, but not that easy to light. Perhaps too much moisture. Once it got going, I never really felt the presence of tobacco flavour at all. It produced a nice room aroma, but it was very frustrating in terms of a good smoke (even by mild standards). I let my pipe rest for a while, relit, but nothing doing. A bland, lacklustre smoke, which I would only recommend to beginners.

father_brian Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
father_brian (12)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

If you're an avid English smoker like myself, Deep Hollow offers a nice change of pace. But like any vacation: it's nice to visit, but wouldn't want to live there.

I find straight Virginas too sweet to smoke regularly. It is pleasingly aromatic, but not annoyingly so.

Like all McClelland blends, it is extremely moist upon opening...and I'll be damned if they don't put ketchup or vinegar in it! (for those who don't know about this urban legend, buy a can and you'll understand)

Commons Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Commons (18)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Marketers take note: I decided to buy this tobacco by U.S. company McClelland merely because I liked the name. In any event, this is your average looking dark brown, ready-rubbed tobacco consisting of Virginias. A whiff of the can told me that Trevor Talbert's disdain of McClelland blends held true for this one: it smells like tomato soup and is overly moist.

Since I rather like a good Tomato Soup Cake, I chose not to be daunted by its decidedly unpleasant tin aroma. I hiked off into the woods and settled myself into a dark pine grove to light up (and promptly lost the path...stupid trees). Lit, it had a sweet flavour common to Virginia blends and... and... well, whether it was imagined or not, I also thought I could sense a lingering effect of the tomato-tin aroma.

All in all, it burned decently, though the last quarter was far too wet to be smoked?perhaps letting it dry out will help. Although this isn't a bad blend, it's also not particularly great either.

tslots Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tslots (8)

Not being a big fan of straight Virginia blends right now ( I prefer English / Oriental / Latakia ), I found that I do like Deep Hollow. Opening the tin reveals a mix of tan to black ribbon-cut tobacco with a sweet aroma very similiar to Captain Black ( re: raisins, vanilla and ketchup ). It's also pretty moist so I've found it best to dry out for awhile before loading in your pipe ... otherwise you will have frequent relights.

It burns well and to a grey ash, but can get hot and gurgly if smoked too fast. It has the typical tart and slightly sweet flavors I associate with Virgina tobacco. The smoking aroma is not overpowering, the nicotine level is fairly mild and it leaves a nice aftertaste.

Overall I enjoyed the bowls I've smoked and would recommend to those that already like this McClelland series and are looking for a mellow Virginia blend.