Far into the woods, away from the urban cacophony, is where the light, fragrant blend of rich red stoved Virginias is designed to transport the smoker. Relax and enjoy the moment.

Notes: The name Deep Hollow comes from the works of JRR Tolkien. Deephallow (Deep Hollow): A village on the Shire's eastern border, built on the banks of the River Brandywine. Immediately across the river was Haysend, the southernmost point of Buckland, while just to the south of Deephallow, the River Shirebourn flowed into the Brandywine.

Blended ByMcClelland Tobacco Company
Taste

2.7
Kyrob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kyrob (41)

When I opened this 7 year old tin of Deep Hollow the first thing I notice is an even mix of brown and black ribbon pieces in various shades of the same. The smell was a slight vinegar note with caramel which quickly turned to vanilla and apple upon closer sniffing. The tobacco was very slightly moist, which is perfect for me. An unlit sip brought a faint apple taste to the taste buds, and the charring light brought apple with a hint of vanilla.

After the charring light and for the first half of the bowl I get mostly an apple and vanilla flavor. From about midway on the apple stays constant but the vanilla blooms into honey, caramel, and molasses at times and every so often I got a taste of the Cavendish. This tobacco did well for me in smaller bowls and the finish was short with a delightful mustache note. The room note was pleasant and toasty and brought back memories of my grandparent’s home. This has been one of my favorite blends for years, and I always have some on hand. I think anyone who wants to delve into Virginia blends should give this a go, and since I’m a bit partial to the stuff, I think anyone should try it at least once.

Pipe Used: Peterson 264

Age When Smoked: 7 Years

M42 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
M42 (11)
Mild None Detected Mild Very Pleasant

I've had some of this sitting in the back of my tobacco cabinet forgotten and left aging. When I opened it I was greeted with a wonderful aroma that reminded me of fine old leather. It's hard to put your finger on what exactly this tobacco smells like unsmoked, but it is wonderful.

It packs well and smokes evenly leaving a fine white ash. Puff slowly because like every Virginia I've ever smoked you can get tongue burn if you puff too fast. But you'll want to savor the fine flavors that develop as you smoke the bowl down. This is not a strong tobacco and it leaves a very pleasant aroma in the room. I can't imagine anybody complaining about this being smoked in a crowd.

This is a very pleasant tobacco that is best enjoyed in a large bowl pipe, in the morning with a cup of coffee. Recommended.

Smokeybear86 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Smokeybear86 (14)
Very Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

McCelland -Deep Hallow

Tin Note: Yum when I put my nose in the tin i imagine a plate of ripe fruit with a lightly toasted coffee to wash it down. It smells so real its good.

Initial Light: 3 false lights to get it going but it was worth it as i was rewarded with a very pleasant, mildly sweet, cool smoke. Easy to take light sips from as it delivers consistent flavor with every puff. The burn was slow enough to enjoy yet not too slow to go out on you.

Mid-Smoke: There was a little trouble trying to get the tobacco to burn evenly around, but it wasn't much of a problem because the smoke continued to be mildly sweet, cool and dry. So while i was adjusting the burn i was still enjoying this smoke greatly. I have had no confrontation with any nasty bite that Virginia's and aros are known for. As a matter of fact this is a perfect Virginia because its doing what it is suppose to: smoking mildly sweet, Not biting, Not getting hot and is a really really cool smoke. This is amongst the top breed of Va's for sure.

Bottom of the Bowl:Started to smoke a little and i mean little hot still perfectly manageable though. I noticed the deeper and deeper i got into this bowl the deeper and deeper that flavor became until it coated the inside of my mouth like i just ate a tasty piece of Banana Bread and washed it down with warm milk.

Room Note: I was with my furry companion Roscoe but he was way too lazy to answer me, probably trying to catch a glimpse at Pixie the neighbors poodle, Ive tried breaking it to him that shes way out of his league but old dog, new tricks, you get it. So i called the wife out and asked her, she was too busy watching one of those college teen shows and yelled out " Vanilla dammit Vanilla!!!" I just realized i need some real pipe smoking friends around more often.

Dottle: There was a clumpy like ash in the bowl more ash than clump though.

Smoking Duration: 1 Hour.

Overall: This is not a complex smoke it is what it is, a Virgina Aromatic, and it doesn't hide that by trying to be something its not, it does its job really well and smokes just as it should. I this sense i really did enjoy it because i know what to expect from it every time a light it up. I wouldn't smoke it all day but i could easily smoke it once a day though. I found it similar to Sutliff Barbados Plantation. I will be buying a few tins to age in the cellar.

Pipe Used: Kirsten Model F

Purchased From: 4noggins

Similar Blends: Sutliff Tobacco Company - Barbados Plantation (Sutliff Private Stock).

Extremely Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

I was reading another reviewer's impressions of Deep Hollow and noticed I had a couple of typos in my review. So, this is really just a little clean up on my part.

This straight Virginia is enhanced and like all McClelland Virginias, the quality is uncompromising. But, the added flavoring makes the tobacco sticky and hard to keep lit. It is indeed one of the mildest straight Virginias I've ever tried. If you like an all day, very mild Virginia tobacco, then this stuff is for you. If, on the other hand, your taste buds are yearning for a "richer" smoke, this one's a little light in the loafers.

jeff394 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jeff394 (5)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I feel that this blend gets a bad rap because some people think of it as an aromatic Virginia, and it very well may be, but I get immense satisfaction and relaxation when I smoke Deep Hollow. Smells (to me) like molasses in the tin, none of that McClelland vinegar smell (which I love), so I suspect there may be some topping. The first light really reveals the vanilla/molasses flavor, but after a few puffs the VA taste really comes through. I find the taste to be similar to 5100, but with a campfire/pine room note. I only smoke outdoors, so that may be a part of it too. I really have to take my time and not rush this tobacco because it can bite and get sticky and harsh in the bottom half of the bowl, but when smoked slowly I just taste a quality VA. Took me almost a full tin to figure it out, but once I did my whole experience changed. Definitely a keeper in my book, and mild enough to smoke at any time. This is a great night-time smoke on the front porch.

mjcruiser Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mjcruiser (5)

My first bowl of this was not a great experience. It ended up very wet at the end and was left with quite a bit of dottle. I let the tobacco sit in the can with the plastic lid on for a week or two, and my last two bowls were very pleasant. I am a somewhat wet pipe smoker so take that information accordingly.

I would not call this tobacco an aromatic blend, although it does have a funky vanilla smell in the can. I enjoy Virginia blends and this one is quite mild, probably would be a good break into Virginia blends for someone new to them. I agree that it gets sweeter as you burn down the bowl, and it does have a real pleasant room note. All in all a nice smoke, but not a rock you sock off experience.

puss n' pipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
puss n' pipes (27)

I bought a tin following the good reviews this blend use to have but must say it didn't impress me. It is very much a simpleton. I opened the tin after one year keeping it, and the Ketchup/vinegar notes so typical of McClellands were there with additionally notes of maple and vanilla. This is a virginia that is not really "straight" in the sense it does have casings, maybe not upfront, but definitively there.

Upon lightning virginia comes lightly, very sweet note with distant maple. And while in later transition it becomes more sour-sweet with ocassional outbursts of light vanilla and honey in the distance and a natural sweetness. Last part has more body and perhaps was the best for me, although light it brings more flavour and grassy undertones, very mellow and sweet. I guess in that sense the marketing was right, it is very fresh and mono-dimensional smoke to just be at the moment, not to annalyse or get too thoughtful.

Natural virginia flavour predominates though with not much nuances. All in all it is what it is, a mellow virginia with some aromas. I rather prefer virginias with more character and dimension. This was certainly not and it will only appeal someone who likes mono dynamic virginias with artificial casings and mellow quality.

Pipe Used: Vauen 1889

Age When Smoked: 1 year

gladi8tor96 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gladi8tor96 (133)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I did a smoking comparison of Deep Hollow, Virginia Woods, and Grey Havens. This is definitely the most aromatic of all three, and yes that means this one has the most amount of casing/topping.

Opening the tin one can see red and light brown ribbons mixed with sparse black ribbons. It seems hayish with lots of fruit and a bit of vanilla or caramel.

Loads easy, but is difficult to keep lit. A bit of drying time resolves this issue. Light tamping is required here and there. Not much bite for being quite a sweet aromatic.

The flavor of the smoke is very sweet with lots of caramel, vanilla, and some type of tangy fruit. There is some tobacco flavor, that the nice quality virginias provide, on the backbone as well. The flavors seem more natural than most aromatics that I have tried before...quite impressive. The smoke is creamy, light, and cool/smooth. I actually enjoyed it more than I had expected. It actually has a bit of strength as well, at least for an aromatic, which I was not expecting. If I am in the mood for something sweet that will please a crowd, this blend would be it.

Pipe Used: Corn Cob M.M.

Age When Smoked: 1 Year

Purchased From: Pipesandcigars.com

Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I am not sure how helpful a review will be from me as the tin I smoked was 16 years old and presumably, much different than that of a fresh tin. I will list my impressions on this one and will revisit this review once I have a chance to try a newer tin.

I was lucky to secure a tin of this from 1998 on ebay for a good price. I popped the tin as a treat for the 2015 Chicago show. As this is a lightly topped Virginia blend two things should have happened over those 16 years in the tin. The Virginias should have got sweeter and smoother and the topping should have started to lessen. I would say both these things did happen as I was hard pressed to really identify a topping, but knew there was something there giving it a bit of a honey taste.

The Virginias did age well and were a real treat as they smoked easy and the sweetness from fermentation was more than evident. Everyone with whom I shared with gave me a thumbs up and were appreciative to have a bowl full.

So with that said, it is hard for me to give an objective review on what a new tin would be like. Because of this I am giving it three stars now, but have a feeling this will be a two star blend when I try it fresh.

Age When Smoked: 16 years aged

Purchased From: ebay

Muchogum Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Muchogum (7)

Not a tobacco that strikes me as objectionable or superlative in any way! It is clearly topped with something, and out of the tin the tobacco is kind of non-tobacco like with a sticky feel. Tin aroma is not on either side of the pleasure spectrum. The same can be said of the flavor, wherever you are in the bowl. No substantial aftertaste to speak of. In summary, not much like Virginias of my acquaintenance, and nothing to particularly "write home about!"

On the other hand, to say the foregoing another way, Deep Hollow is pleasant and satisfying if you simply want a non-grating smoke while reading a book or enjoying coffee or a drink. That's important, a pipe tobacco that doesn't need your attention, and if you give it attention, doesn't grate on you! No runs, no hits, no errors!

Pipe Used: Dunhill 710

Age When Smoked: 1-2 years

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

runswithdogs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
runswithdogs (17)
Very Mild Mild Mild Very Pleasant

Delightful aromatic. Highly recommended for those who have a fondness to indulge in aromatics as a staple, or as a change of pace. No trouble keeping this one lit, and no moisture at all in the bottom of the bowl (note: I smoke slowly and use a decent sized bowl). I can readily taste the vanilla-apple flavor identified in other reviews. Sip it slowly and envision yourself on the banks of the Brandywine River.

Pipe Used: Joura Apple

Similar Blends: Pipeworks & Wilke's Dummerston..

Erduque Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Erduque (1)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I'm fairly new to the hobby and picked this blend up on a recommendation. I was not disappointed. It has burns cool yet has a warm earthy sweetness to it. My only complaint is the after taste can be rather stale. Otherwise, its a lovely smoke indeed.

Pipe Used: Viking Brown Houston bent No. 17

Purchased From: Cigar and Tabac LTD.

tleek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tleek (48)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

McClelland's Craftsbury Series is a favorite so keep that in mind.

Sweet and honey like Virginia dominates the flavor. It smokes and tastes like a light Virginia blend. The topping is only somewhat evident in the smoke. It serves more to sweeten the blend than it does to add other flavor. I don't pick up apple in the smoke, carmel flavors are faint and serve to highlight the natural honey notes of the Virginia tobacco.

Room not is not too great. This blend is not too heavily cased. But, while it is hard to judge while I am smoking, I would bet that the room note is better than the almost cigarette smell of straight Virginia blends.

Deep hollow is a great blend. A lot like Gray Havens and Virginia Woods. It has been a couple of years since I have had those blends, but from memory I remember Virginia Woods being my favorite of the three. Deep Hollow is probably the mildest blend in the series, but enjoyable nonetheless.

The

Similar Blends: McClelland Virginia Woods, McClelland Grey Havens.

FlatCapMatt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FlatCapMatt (34)
Mild to Medium Mild Very Mild Tolerable

I'm not really going to make a detailed review of this one. I liked it, but it's not one I'd likely get again any time soon. It wasn't "aromatic" enough for me. I thought it was a bit closer to the "English" type tobaccos I've had than other aromatics.

It didn't bite me, and it didn't make me want to throw up, so those are definite positives. It's good if you want a blend that isn't sickly aromatic, nor heavy on the BBQ sauce taste of certain English styles.

Doesn't do anything for the missus during the room note wife test though. "Just smoke." she says when I ask her what it's like.

Pipe Used: Stanwell Bjarne Nielsen, Corncob

Purchased From: tobaccoblends.com.au

coldmoon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
coldmoon (24)
Extremely Mild Very Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

The tin contains various shades of brown leaf from very light to black. Tin aroma is very sweet, fruit-like, it has some caramel and cinnamon notes. But it's not in your face smell. It is very subtle. Moisture level is almost perfect. I dried the tobacco for 20 minutes before packing into pipe.

Packs very easy. The tobacco is in somewhat coarse ribbon cut. It has some unbroken VA flake in the mix.

Lights very easily and stays lit with no problems.

The taste is very delicious. Natural Virginia sweetness with fruit notes and vanilla come through. I enjoy this tobacco immensely. It's a nice change of pace after smoking Englishes and Balkans. Definitely will keep this in my tobacco rotation.

The room note is very pleasant. People I've smoked this blend around complimented on the nice aroma.

This is a really tasty aromatic tobacco. It's very "natural" tasting. I would recommend this tobacco to any pipe smoker as a good aromatic or as a change of pace tobacco.

Pipe Used: Johs Freehand Bent Dublin

RyeWhiskey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RyeWhiskey (43)

Smooth tobacco blend. The tin note has the 'McClelland' aroma to it, but that goes away with a pipe. Pack it lightly and it smokes great. I tried it out of the tin right away and it was a bit to moist to keep lit. It has aged in a mason jar for a year, and now smokes to the bottom with no re-lights.

The room-note is pleasant, and it has a nice note that I just can't place, but the odor that you inhale is there and really is a great smoke. It is a mild smoke, and has a sweetness to it. I really like this blend, the Virginia's are top notch. I will always have more on hand so I don't run out and it ages.

Cherry picker 1779 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cherry picker 1779 (18)
Mild to Medium Extra Strong Medium Tolerable

Very cased and sticky/ goopy, very hard to keep lit. Not to mention the incredible tongue bite. I smoked this blend a few years ago out of a fresh tin. I've found out after buying probably 6 or 7 offerings from mclelland that I don't like them. All have been goopy and have added humectants or something. I feel like they use quality tobacco but ruin it with the adeed chemicals. This stuff is very very sweet and always left my tongue feeling blistered. I don't see tobacco enthusiasts ever buying a second tin of this. NOT RECOMMEND. And how in the actual Fudgicles does mclelland claim there is no flavoring added. That's like drinking the straight syrup for loganberry drink claiming it's just water. If you put this sugar goop in your pipe you will ruin it. Bad stuff mcfaillend.

Similar Blends: Undiluted loganberry syrup.

Appalachian Chef Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Appalachian Chef (52)
Mild Extremely Mild Medium Very Pleasant

A non-aromatic that deserves high praise. Nutty, yet sweet. Perfectly moist right out of the tin. An excellent room note, but had the familiar McClelland "Heinz 57" tin note. I had moderate expectations, but was pleasantly surprised with how much I liked this wonderful addition to my rotation.

Pipe Used: Falcon Billiard

Age When Smoked: Fresh from tin

Purchased From: On Line

slashes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
slashes (13)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Pleasant

Deep Hollow is a mild virginia blend that makes for a very nice smoke when you don't want anything complicated. I find it to be a mildly sweet blend that has potential to bite if pushed to hard. I do detect a funky vanilla topping in the tin but it doesn't translate into the flavor.

Pipe Used: Cobs and Briars

Age When Smoked: Fresh out of the tin

mnadz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mnadz (66)
Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

First, I typically do not smoke Virginias because I find them too mild and somewhat tasteless vs. English blends. Saying that, I did enjoy smoking Virginia Woods enough to rate it well. This lead me to give this a try. Not sure why this is listed as an aromatic, because did not notice flavoring. What I did notice is it is less than Vitginia Woods. Not bad, but less. I still rank it higher than other straight Virginias I've tried. Also, no tongue bite for me and I puff like a train. I wouldn't be upset if someone gave this to me, but for my money, I would buy Virginia Woods blend.

JustinCarcerated Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JustinCarcerated (99)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I wasnt aware of this toby prior to my Mrs. purchasing this blindly as part of.a Christmas YABO ( she has yet to look up the wishlist I've labored hours on end compiling on this site :)

So I didnt research this tin prior to opening. Biases have thereby been unintentionally reduced therein. The tin note is superb, strong earthy chocolatey almost Latakia type smells, slightly vanilla and cinnamon lime -with the latter two lingering my mid-tin.

It was perfect moisture- wise, no relights necessary, and I find it smoked best for me in both cob and large billiard Velani. Sweet, smooth, lat-like coolness near to mid-bowl, whereupon a conscious effort was necessary to keep the Virginias from overwhelming my tongue. A natural French Vanilla with a sugary sweetness is what I chase bowl to bowl here.

I really dig this, as I get a qualty Va. and a smooth aromatic in concert with each other. To date my favorite aros all had cavendish as the base toby, except the Vaper La Flake (which still has in my mind a Bobs C flake chocolate derivative)

Aros take me 3x as long to consume as English blends, but I'm thinking not so long with this blend.

Great option for Aro fans, potential Virginia converts...

Pipe Used: MM, Peterson 310, Aldo V billiard

Age When Smoked: 4/23/2012

Purchased From: Pipes&Cigars.com

bteddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bteddy (23)

This blend contains red and black stoved Virginias with possibly a slight casing, it could be just the sweetness of the Virginias but I detect a vanilla sweetness, not enough to overpower the taste just a nice addition. This is one of the few Virginia tobaccos that I could actually enjoy, burned right and very little bite if smoked properly. A good switch from my usual English. Tasty. New pipe smokers should give this a try.

DoctorThoss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DoctorThoss (146)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

This isn't a terribly bad blend, it's just not a terribly good one, either. If I'm in the mood for an aromatic I can think of several that are better, but this one nonetheless has a distinctive taste and aroma that sets it apart from others (apple, maybe, or fig?). When you get halfway down the bowl you're mainly tasting the classic McClelland flavor -- dark Virginia with some kind of weird ketchup overtones. Anyway, this isn't terrible enough to warrant a single star but definitely not good enough to merit more than two. If you like Va-based aromatics, give it a whirl -- you might just enjoy it.

Very Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

The tin aroma of this nicely prepared mixture of red and dark VAs + Black Cavendish was as inviting as the room aroma. If the taste was only as good, this would be an enjoyable smoke. From the tin, the tobacco was too moist for me and benefited from drying. However, in doing this, some of the casing disappeared and a rather bland taste remained. It was also well rubbed out and I still prefer tobacco in flake or plug form. If I was smoking more to please others with the aroma, this would be an ideal smoke. However, even McClelland has better bulk offerings where the sweetness is from natural tobacco rather than additives. This blend might be enjoyed by new pipe smokers but lacks the flavor and strength of my prefered VA flakes and Va/Perique blends.

natibo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
natibo (166)

This is kind of a cross-over. It has more strength and less flavor to be a straight aromatic. However, there are better blends out there. It is smokeable though.

Kraft1994 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kraft1994 (54)

When people talk about that awful ketchup aroma and flavor that plaques some virginia blend.... they are talking about this blend. When I think of virginia tobacco I think of a sugary sweetness, with the flavor and aroma of hay (in a good way). This blend has none of that. It has acidic qualities to it with almost a vinegar flavor. Deep Hollow is also a tongue biter. A huge letdown from the usually fantastic blenders at McClelland. They make some of the greatest English/Balkin blends on the market but when it comes to virginias they dropped the ball.

Quaffer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Quaffer (18)
Mild Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

You might like this if you smoke aromatics, but I can't stand it. Smokes hot, tastes like chemicals, leaves a goopy mess in your pipe. I left the tobacco spread out on a tray, in a draft, for 3 days. Wasn't any drier than when I first bought it. Smoked a bowl of this every once in a while the past 4 months to see if it would get better, but it didn't.

Don't waste your time with this blend.

whitebriar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
whitebriar (30)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

this was a strange one when i first lit up--

i wasn't expecting something approaching an aromatic---besides being surprised, i was also pleased--i don't care for aromatics due to the heavy casing and PGs most blenders employ--i DO however enjoy an occasional bowl of sweeter tobacco--

this is your blend if you don't like traditional AROs--it's a good change of pace--packs well, burns right, very cool, doesn't bite at all-- a perfect "sweet tooth" fix for the non ARO smoker--

EDIT:

goin' on a year later--have to drop the rating to 2 stars--just never seemed to get going to me as time progressed--very little tobacco flavor--guess i'm just a burley man at heart--

for what it is, it's OK--just not my tobacco

TK Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TK Pipe (101)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

Deep hollow … An attractive mahogany and black cut tobacco mixture, with a tin aroma of slightly soured pumpkin spices, kind of pleasant.

Of the McC Virginia blends I've tried, this one is not my favorite, maybe it's the topping, maybe it's the lack of strength, I'm not sure, but I found DH lacking. You can kick up the taste a notch by drying this stuff to almost crispy, but that did nothing for its “n” strength. I would call this blend a fantastic cigarette tobacco, but I prefer a bit more stand alone tobacco punch in my pipe.

Coyote Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Coyote (7)
Mild Very Mild Mild Very Pleasant

Maple, brown sugar and just a touch of vanilla are in the taste and they are very subdued, a hint, not at all the main taste. The puffed aroma is a nice subtle maple. Three years ago I was smoking some of the McClelland aromatics, particularly Town Topic. TT has a maple flavoring and it is quite strong, it's also a burley and cavendish. This is a very nice and slightly sweet VA with those subdued aromas and flavors. It smokes very nicely, no bite. I can smell the maple & brown sugar in the tin, the vinegar is only apparent just after opening and disappears. I let my pipe tobacco dry for about an hour, I live in AZ with next to zero humidity so any longer and it turns to desert dust. As many others have written this is a "non-aromatic, aromatic" The VA is quite tasty and the flavors add to the overall taste.

Uruss Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Uruss (10)

I took a chance on this Tobacco, since it was only in a 100g tin. I decided to go ahead and pick it up, the description on the tin sold me.

"a lightly fragrant blend of rich, red and black stoved Virginias"

I've been told it's lightly cased with Vanilla. I couldn't tell, I thought it wasn't cased at all, it has that natural sweet virginia taste, which is excellent. It reall comes out mid way through the bowl.

I'd reccomend this for VA lovers, It's a really pleasant smoke. It could be an all day smoke for sure.

sagesmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sagesmoke (14)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I'm get alot of bite outta this but it is a bit too dry, I think (a tin from '04). It's all sizzle to start off but after a rest and about halfway down it's mellowed a bit. I'm sure I could use some practice on my virginia technique but I don't have this problem with Old Gowrie or Reiner LGF. Might be good for someone looking for a bridge from aromatics to virginias.

CPT/VSG Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CPT/VSG (72)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

Deep Hollow is just not my cup of tea. I just finished an '03 tin which has been open for about 18 months but the tobacco is still sticky to the touch, which, I have to admit, puts me off. While the tin note is pleasing, DH smokes with a sense of the casing that subtracts from the fine Virginians used. Despite the stickiness, it does burn well and to a clean gray ash. It also does not smoke particularly hot. Despite those positives, for Virginia flavor, I'd go with Christmas Cheer or one of MeCelland's straight Virginias such as #27.

Pipemanuk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipemanuk (76)

This was a revelation to me and so far its a bit unique. I am an english smoker, as you probably guessed from the name :-), and this tobacco makes such a nice change from almost everything else I smoke. I only came across it because of good old Ebay but I am so glad I went out and grabbed a completely unknown, to me, tobacco. Like others, I regret that its only available in tins and not bulk. Maybe McClelland will reconsider their policy if enough ask. Why do i like this so much? Well, its gentle sweet taste is a perfect change from the eternal english varieties that are everywhere these days...don't get me wrong, I love Westminster, but I need a complete change from time to time and this is what I find myself returning to. Its such an american blend that it's completely different from all the tobacco's I have been used to for years. I think of Mick McQuaid, FVF, 1792, Brown Rope, Westminster, etc etc and Deep Hollow is so far apart from them. I would love to find something similar to it, to be honest, just to give it a fair trial.....but,as it stands, this deserves 4 stars in my book.

Update May 2008 Just got hold of some 1991 Deep Hollow in one of the old style tins. Interestingly this was marketed as one of the Personal Reserve Oriental series! This is so changed from modern Deep Hollow as to be an utterly different tobacco. Maybe they changed the recipe some time? Modern DH contains what looks like 3 individual tobacco's; a mixture of light, medium and dark brown strands. The 1991 has just dark brown and black strands: the sweetness that you can smell in the modern tin has vanished and the aroma is earthy, pungent and strong. By contrast, it smokes smooth with all the high notes of modern DH missing. Its almost smoky, utterly delicious, no tongue bite and absolutely nothing like modern day Deep Hollow. In the spirit of true tobacco geekery I have just cracked open a 1995 tin, the earliest year that I have which has a label similar to, but not exactly the same as, the modern tins. The 1995 version has the same mix of tobacco as the modern tins though obviously with 13 years aging it smokes differently. If you can lay your hands on any well aged Deep Hollow I do strongly recommend you try it even if you think that you are not a fan of DH:-)

Glorfindel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Glorfindel (80)
Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant

UPDATE:

Upgrading to 3 stars, this ages well with oxygen exposure become a little stronger and more flavorful. Also, this is NOT and aromatic. It IS a light straight VA with an almost non-existant topping. This is a great all day smoke for the lighter VA crowd (me:).

If you have this blend and didn't care for it, give it some time I have smoked a LOT worse

ORIGINAL: 3-14-2008

Light carmel notes, maybe imagination or not, but it's very light.

The VAs used here are mild to almost tasteless, but I can't say I didn't like this blend, I liked it more than I disliked it.

It will perform as a dependable, very average smoke. Whips the pants off any drugstore blend that I can think of, just not enough zing for me.

I can imagine that anyone who keeps the McC blending stocks could create something neat and tastey with this mix. I'd say a dash of oriental and latakia might make some magic here.

This is not a heavily cased aromatic, just a lightly topped VA in the mild dept.

Not bad but not great, definitley has potential. I think I just talked myself into buying the full compliment of McC's blending varieties.

Good Draw to You, Sincerely

Ethan "Glorfindel" Dickey

romaso Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
romaso (43)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

I'm a vanilla aromatic guy, but this one's not for me. The flavor was predominantly sweet apple, and alot of it, and any vanilla was overwhelmed by it.

If you have a sweet tooth and like apple, this is for you, as the tobacco is good quality also. Still, too sweet for me!

Very Mild Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

Deep Hollow was something of a disappointment. To start with, I detected a slight vanilla like casing, which somehow diminishes the tobacco?s natural flavour. Then, there is a hint of that vinegar smell, present in many McClelland blends.

It was easy to pack, but not that easy to light. Perhaps too much moisture. Once it got going, I never really felt the presence of tobacco flavour at all. It produced a nice room aroma, but it was very frustrating in terms of a good smoke (even by mild standards). I let my pipe rest for a while, relit, but nothing doing. A bland, lacklustre smoke, which I would only recommend to beginners.

tslots Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tslots (8)

Not being a big fan of straight Virginia blends right now ( I prefer English / Oriental / Latakia ), I found that I do like Deep Hollow. Opening the tin reveals a mix of tan to black ribbon-cut tobacco with a sweet aroma very similiar to Captain Black ( re: raisins, vanilla and ketchup ). It's also pretty moist so I've found it best to dry out for awhile before loading in your pipe ... otherwise you will have frequent relights.

It burns well and to a grey ash, but can get hot and gurgly if smoked too fast. It has the typical tart and slightly sweet flavors I associate with Virgina tobacco. The smoking aroma is not overpowering, the nicotine level is fairly mild and it leaves a nice aftertaste.

Overall I enjoyed the bowls I've smoked and would recommend to those that already like this McClelland series and are looking for a mellow Virginia blend.