Hand-blended, premium pressed Virginia flake tobaccos. A fine vintage, naturally sweet, in limited quantity.

Notes: Produced in 1992, 1994-present in limited quantities. Tinned in July of the respective year.

Blended ByMcClelland Tobacco Company
Manufactured ByMcClelland
Packaging50g or 100g Tin
Strength
Taste
Extremely Mild (Flat), Medium, Medium to Full, Full
Unnoticeable, Very Pleasant, Pleasant, Tolerable
Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

Holy cow!!! this is the absolute best VA blend that I have tried. I purchased this tin off of eBay, and well paid a pretty penny for it. My only regret is that I have not seen any more of the stuff. The tin note is of plums and the McClelland vinegar. Upon lighting the tobacco it was immediately obvious that I had found something special. The blend had a nice sweetness to it, and really burned well. There was never any combustion problems or and tongue bite. There was a nice balance of tang and sweetness, that I quite honestly have never experienced in my life. There was a bit of a nicotine kick associated with it, but most VA fans will be rather familiar with it. The blend rubbed out very nicely and really shined from beginning to end. I brought the tin to my tobacco shop and shared it with some friends, and everyone shared the same feelings that I did. We are all deeply disappointed that this tin is probably the last that any of will ever see. If you ever get a chance to buy a tin of this vintage, pay whatever you can to experience it for your self. EXTREMELY RECOMMENDED

mparker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mparker (51)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

I recently popped open one of my recently- discovered tins of McClelland's Christmas Cheer '94, which I had last smoked back in early 95. For those unfamiliar with this series, Christmas Cheer is a single-field straight virginia, pressed and sliced into ribbons.

Popping the lid revealed the aroma of plums and dried figs and cherries, with a slight vinegary note (McClelland fans will recognize this :-). Hoisin sauce -- definitely hoisin sauce. With cherries.

As is typical for McClelland, the tobacco was still at perfect moisture. CC94 is by now a dark-brown dried-fig color, with the occasional lighter streak. Under the light it sparkes cheerfully, revealing the crystals of sugar that have developed over the years. Some flakes are so covered in sugar that they have an actual sheen.

The initial charring light was a bit tricky, it didn't want to char evenly -- sugar doesn't burn easily :-) An additional charring light, then the real light, and a deep puff revealed that the 94 had settled down dramatically from the raw, acid form it had when new. The initial taste was still of orange and cherry, but now it had been entirely stripped of bite. Over the next few minutes, as the tobacco settled down and I cooled down the burn, the flavor deepened and darkened while maintaining its intensity.

Depending on temperature the flavor varied, including various combinations of charred-pork, raisins, orange, cherry, allspice, candied ginger, salted pecans, chocolate, and caramel(usually in concert with the orange notes).

The ash was a mottled combination of medium and dark gray, but the tobacco burned evenly and consistently down to within a quarter-inch of the bottom, when I had to abort because of the rapidly falling temperature. During that time the flavor and aroma stayed remarkably consistent within the impressive range mentioned earlier.

Overall impression: Impressive, most impressive. Well worth the wait. Now if I can just keep my hands off the other two tins.

Willy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Willy (75)

I've had this tin of 1994 stored for quite some time now and have managed to keep it humidified for lo' these many years, smoking some during the holidays. At present it is mostly a deep brown color w/some lighter strands here and there. I had previously broken some of it up and subjected it to the food processor for further shredding. There is still a muted "McC. aroma." It packs well and the routine lighting ritual was all I needed. Some sharpness has remained, but it isn't nearly as sharp as I remember it from when it was new. The smoke has mellowed, but some VA. tang is still there. A citrusy note is evident, most like a lemony flavor but sweet in a discreet manner. The typical flavor of VA. seems darker and heavier as compared to bright and light. The tobak is burning even and cool, but a bit of tongue tingling is occurring here and there to remind you not to smoke this stuff too fast. I'm enjoying this dried apricot(?) flavor I'm now tasting, and the smoke is still cool and bite free as long as I don't puff too fast. The flavor is there and I don't have to puff hard to retain the taste level. Bit of a gurgle near mid-bowl, no worries, just one cleaner. Nearing the finish there is a wee bit of harshness/charbroiled taste but it's negligible and not enough to ruin the pleasure already derived from smoking this tasty tobak. Burns to a fluffy gray ash and leaves the pipe clean and dry. I had originally purchased two tins of this back in 1994 and didn't really like it that much because it was too bitey and sharp. I gave the second tin to a friend for Christmas because he enjoyed tobaccos like this. I can only say now that I wish I had purchased more of this when it was available, I imagine what popping a sealed tin could be like now. Oh well, live and learn. Not an overly dramatic, "I just gotta have it" smoke that one could not live w/o it, but very enjoyable for sure, and if you can find some you may want to give it a try. Works for me.

trevert Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
trevert (32)
Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

1998: Every once in a while, a really blasphemous tobacco manages to get past my security system and find its way, like some reeking goblin, into the sanctity of my home. This "review" is a first ever for me - a review of a tobacco that I have not even smoked. The vile weed was brought over by my friend Paul, who is otherwise of excellent and sound judgement on all things tobacco-ish. He thought to try this for a change of pace, since many had spoken highly of it on ASP. However, the smell from the can was enough to make me cringe, as it was a bit like what I imagine the Tall Man's (of "Phantasm" fame) embalming room must smell like. This is a VIRGINIA tobacco, and Paul put it best when he stated, "It smells like tongue bite in a can". The can smell was enough to convince me that I owned no pipe which I disrespected enough to inflict with this substance, but Paul bravely soldiered on and sampled the mix. In short order my entire vaulted great room was filled with the smell of burning grass and cardboard, which stuck like cigarette odor for the entire next day. On the positive side, Paul reported that this was not the flavor of the tobacco, but that instead it tasted exactly like "hot air". This report was later verified by another of our experimental subjects, Joey Clodfelter, who reported that the taste was steam as well. If this is Christmas Cheer, I'll take that stocking full of coal now...