Think of the aromas of candied apples, fresh popcorn and rich creamy ice cream all rolled togehter the way they were at the carnival when you were a youngster. Then smell this light Tennessee burley. This pleasantly aromatic, easy packing, cavendish-cut tobacco makes a delightful, relaxing smoke.

Blended ByMcClelland Tobacco Company
Taste
2.5
clanobucklin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
clanobucklin (102)

I don't know what all the stink is about regarding this blend. After all I tried it expecting something ghastly and found a very mild tobacco that was unoffensive and pleasant at times.

I think the name is misleading - Carnival sounds like a lot of fun and one would expect a FunHouse - in your face - kind of tobacco. This is not the case in this mild blend.

To me - I get buttered popcorn and a little dairy cream. No candied apples or sugary pop that was I hoping for.

Would I order this blend again - probably not. It's not bad...just not great. Smoke this early in the day when you want a mild start the day kind of smoke.

Perhaps they should have called it Movie Art House instead of Carnival.

10/3/10 Actually I am going to upgrade this to Recommended. Bought some more after a few more smokes. The description says it all and - all the elements ARE THERE that interplay throughout the bowl. Candy Apple, buttered popcorn and ice cream - ala Foster's Freeze, yep, yep, yep...I taste them all.

Why the blend got 'dissed' I don't know. I think this is a really nice change of pace aromatic - that not only tastes like tobacco but includes some really nice and pleasant surprises. I recommend this aromatic. Will be in my tobacco rotation for a while. P.S. The blend itself has an awesome pouch aroma where one can get hints of the candied apple and popcorn - nice.

Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

McClelland - No. M-34 Carnival.

Carnival? What, a blend which tastes like all the goodies you get at one? Yes.

I picked this at random from my cellar without reading whether it's an aromatic, English, VaPer, etc. The pouch-note makes certain which camp it comes from: aromatic. But, being fair, the unlit smell doesn't quite match the flavour. The apples dominate and smell sour in the pouch, but they're more nonchalant in the smoke.

Like I said, this has all the goodies you get at a carnival! The apples are present, but then there's plenty of other flavours, too. I get vanilla, nutty popcorn, and a sweetness reminiscent of candyfloss which gains strength as a bowl's smoked. The sweetness is the strongest addition. Carnival burns nicely, issuing no tongue bite. The nicotine's mild and the room-note's not it's best feature!

Carnival? A nice aromatic. Recommended:

Three stars.

Pipe Used: Peterson Kinsale #XL11 P'Lip

Age When Smoked: Three months from purchase

Purchased From: Cup O' Joes

canvas Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
canvas (136)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I was crushed to find out my favorite blender was shutting the doors to their business. I must not of been alone, as I witnessed all of their discontinued products skyrocket in price on eBay. Panicked, I bought what was left of the bulk blends I've yet to try, from P&C.

Buttered popcorn?! Now this I'd like to see. I once tried a popcorn flavored jelly bean, so anything 'is' possible. I suppose with some imagination I was able to smell the popcorn inside. I certainly could smell some funnel cake, and... those can be sold at a carnival. Otherwise the bag just had that general sweet flavoring that you can find in a ton of chocolate/vanilla aromatics.

The cut was annoying light and spongy, where you needed handfuls of the stuff to pack down into a single bowl. It ignites well, but if overpacked draws no air, and underpacking causes the contents to lift up midway and burn super quickly. Suffice to say, not a fan of the cut.

The flavor stayed sorta sweet once going and had a bit of an acrid bite. It was light enough to be an all day smoker, but it was too dull for me to care.

The tobacco felt cheaper than I've come to expect from McClelland and was ultimately just a delivery mechanism for an OK flavoring.

Smoke_Ring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note