#805 Carolina Deluxe is the lighter-bodied companion to #800, based on an all orange and lemon Carolina and blended with a small amount of black Cavendish. It exhibits complex, delicate flavors. It’s remarkably cool and smooth.

Blended ByMcClelland
Extremely Mild, Medium
Taste
natibo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
natibo (23)

For aromatic lovers, this would be a cross-over. For english smokers, this would be an aromatic. I love Virginia tobaccos, and I enjoy a slight topping to my blends. My family also appreciates a good room note.

In my opinion, this blend succeeds in what I am looking for. The Virginia cross-overs I have tried so far tended to have more of a vanilla/maple flavor (PS LTF for example). This one however, seems to be more like citrus. That could be as a result of the different types of Virginias used. The tobacco is describes as "Based on Orange and Lemon Virginias, with a small amount of Black Cavendish, then treated with a special heat-seasoning to develop its complex, delicate flavor".

The flavor seems to get more and more complex as the bowl progresses. It can smoke hot, so you need to take it slow. But boy will you be rewarded. When smoking this blend I often have one of those completely relaxed moments where I can't believe how great it tastes, how content I am, and how I wish the bowl would last forever.

Smoke_Ring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Burn = 9

After Taste = 9

Raw Score = 55

Rated Percentage = 92%

Comment = Very Smooth, Very Mild, Mellow, No Bite, nice full Flavor, great all day smoke

KinnScience Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
KinnScience (28)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Pleasant

Once again, I think the term "aromatic" is insufficient to describe some of the blends that have been flavored to one extent or another.

Unlike most drugstore type aromatics, this is not a burley with added flavoring (burley taking on the aspects of the casing to the point where it becomes more slanted toward such). It is a VA with a touch of burley which is present via the cavendish component.

Like your basic aromatic, it has some form of humectant which can tend to produce a slight "goopy sweetness" if smoked to heavily. However, this is much lighter than what your average aromatic would produce.

Like your basic aromatic, it has been cased to a greater degree than would a non aro. I would venture to add that there is a good possibility of a "top note" of sweetened citrus, but without knowledge of the recipe, we can only surmise such.

Like your basic aromatic, the flavoring tends to overpower the tobacco, though as stated previously, to a lesser degree.

If I have the urge to smoke a tobacco that leans toward the flavored side, this would be a good choice. I don't like burley aromatics much these days, with the exception of SWR, or PA.. which I occasionally want to revisit. If you want an aromatic that is not primarily flavored burley, this might be a good choice for you.

McClelland, as I have stated on previous occasion, is a master of virginias. It is, their bailiwick, their specialty, ... it is what they do. However, no company will create blends that are liked by everyone, nor will all blends appeal to even the staunchest of fans. This blend, while perhaps a notch above your average aromatic, is unremarkable, though not completely unpleasant, nor completely without merit. I would say that for those needing an all day smoke that won't dry out in the pouch, it may fulfill one's need. It does not bite the tongue, and for those who have trouble with tongue bite from VA, this is also somewhat smooth in flavor without any bite. I classify aromatics into one of 3 categories and could as easily add a 4th or a 5th. 1. full aromatic: primarily burley that has obtained its flavor and character by way of flavoring; humectant present. 2. Semi aromatic: some burley, some VA, perhaps other tobaccos still cased to a marked degree but with some character obtained by VA or other types of tobacco; humectant used most times. 3. Light aromatic: usually flake or broken flake of premium tobacco where flavoring is detected but is clearly not the foundation of the flavor. Humectant rarely, if ever, used. Blends falling under the number 3 category would be: bulk 2000 FMC, 2045, Sam Gawith firedance, SG 1792 and other tonquin bean varieties, and the like. This blend would fall between category 1 and category 2 (as I said, we could easily add to make 5 categories of aros).

The blend needs to be dried a bit as when it is fresh the lighting and burning were challenging. I put about a half lb up for aging, then dried it for about 12 hours before revisiting the blend. The fresh tobacco was a bit too wet, but the aged/dried version burned well enough. From beginning to end, the smoke was very mild, offering hints of sweet citrus throughout. There was a touch of creamy orange flavor noted a bit as the bowl approached the half way mark. As mentioned, no bite, but also not a lot of tobacco flavor. 2 stars because it could serve ok for an all day smoke in a pinch, especially if one were nursing a violated tongue from a previous Macbaren experience ... or the like. It may also suit as a tempering addition to a stronger blend ... or perhaps add something to make it a bit more complex. Though given the aromatic aspects, I'd probably start with something else if I were attempting a creation.

Pipe Used: Savinelli

Similar Blends: other semi aromatic blends that are VA based..

bob323 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bob323 (44)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Whatever McClelland was trying to accomplish with this blend, they certainly have confused at least 8 reviewers at TR.com. 'It's a great aromatic...', 'It's a wonderful Virginia blend...'. I suppose if the Virginias are processed just right, the natural sugars would produce a pleasant room note. I think that McClelland has accomplished this. However, if you're thirsting after Virginia taste, they missed the boat. Virginia fans may find this a bit too mild for their taste. But, if you take five parts of Carolina Deluxe and combine with three parts Stoved Virginia and two parts Blending Perique you end up with a serviceable and (if I may say) a very nice VaPer. Does the trick for me.

Puffingstuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puffingstuff (81)
Mild Very Mild Mild Very Pleasant

A blend one can taste true virginia tobacco and still get complements on the aroma. Most people will tell you that when you are somking a Virginia flake it smells like an old cigarette burning. Well, here you have the answer. A Virginia blend that makes everyone happy.

If you haven't dried a blend after purchase and you have tounge bite, give that tobacco some air. You wouldn't pour a 1982 Chateau Rothschild wine in a glass and start gulping would you? Same way with tobacco.

Carolina Deluxe is a smooth fragrant melowy sweet Virginia. It's not too sweet, but balanced very nicely. The room note is sugar cookie, and pecan sandy rolled into one. McClelland you have done very well here!

Update; This blend just keeps getting better. This is no average aromatic. I find it hard to really even classify this as an aromatic becuase it's not goopy and overly sweet like so many aromatics are. The Orange and Lemon Virginia supply a creamy tangy natural sweetness that with the very slight toping create a well balanced delicious billowy smoke. Great all day smoke, great anytime smoke. I think this blend says that to enjoy a great Virginia it need not be a flake. Outstanding! Ordering another lbs. of this!

Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This aromatic has more sweetness than any specific flavor. I detected some chocolate and maybe a bit of nuttiness, but they were fairly mild. The tobacco did not burn especially well, and was a bit sloppy on toward the bottom of the bowl. This blend is among the many average aromatics that are on the market. The question is if it fits your style of smoking, and whether the room note is what you are looking for. For me there are many better, but also some that are far worse.

Glorfindel Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Glorfindel (57)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

UPDATE: 11-27-07: Upgrade to 3 stars now, and its not just a chocolate aromatic as I previously stated, though a chocolate note is present from time to time. This stuff ages great! I revisited a stash I made of it after about a month and it has greatly improved in depth, and flavor - something like a whiskey note developing perhaps? I don't know but it has become a delightful, light aromatic with noticeable tobacco taste

ORIGINAL: 10-22-07 : Chocolate aromatic - there you have it.

The cavendish is not without tobacco taste here, with an occasional note of Carolina/VA tobacco twang.

Great room note and I do like the flavor effect on my palate.

I would give this blend 3 stars, but it smokes a bit hot and wet, though that's not unusual in this genre. VBC is not hot or wet smoking and I have enjoyed it much more for that reason alone. Moisture content is a bit high on arrival, but oh well, that's typical in many blends by many companies - not a big problem really.

I'm going to get some of my 4 oz sample and start drying it to see what happens, smoking it at various stages of dryness to see if this helps.

If it does, this will easily be a 3 star smoke - but not yet.

2 stars for now.

caddad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
caddad (53)
Medium to Strong Medium Full Very Pleasant

I smoked a bowl of this last night with my significant other looking on as we watched t.v. She complimented me on the room note and suggested that it had that "cookies baking smell" that she likes so much. That alone gives it a high rating from me, however this is also a very good tasting and smoking tobacco. It is an aromatic all the way so when I'm in the mood for something like this - or the wife is- this is one I'll come back too.

Ima Puffin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ima Puffin (6)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Very Full Very Pleasant

In Carolina Deluxe, McClelland may just have achieved aromatic perfection. If you are not a fan of humectants, flavorings, and all things aromatic, read no further. However, if you are looking for a smooth, soft, yet deeply flavorful smoke, try this one. It is similar to Black and Lemon, but has a more pronounced vanilla-ish flavor. Actually, I don't know what the flavor is here. It is similar to MC 715, I'd say. Fruity, yet not cloying at all. Unlike MC 715, it does not tend to burn hot at all. A great smoke for newbies, since it practically smokes itself, with no bite. This is probably my favorite aromatic, and I keep several small meerschaums reserved for smoking it.

Mild Strong Mild Pleasant

Another of my trials of 'heat seasoned' VAs. The wide ribbons of brownish to jet black VAs are the result of a cavendish processing. The pouch and room aroma are fruity and very sweet. Although a cool, mild, effortless smoke, I didn't sense any natural tobacco taste. If you're an aromatic fan, you might enjoy this one but I still prefer my VA flakes.

Dulcimerman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dulcimerman (7)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Mild Very Pleasant

This bulk-only blend is a mixture of orange and lemon Virginia with just a touch of black cavendish. McClelland says it is "treated with a special heat seasoning". This is a very well behaved blend that lights easily, stays lit (even during long breaks) and burns very cool. There is absolutely no tongue bite - even if you smoke it too fast! It is not overly moist like most McClelland blends and has a pleasant smell in the pouch. A very slight vanilla overtone can be noticed. This overtone is so slight that I would not qualify it as an aromatic. The flavor is delicate and complex throughout the bowl. This would be the ideal blend for a new smoker or someone who wants a mild blend somewhere between an aromatic and a pure tobacco taste. Others will find the room odor pleasant also. I will be keeping this one on hand as a nice change of pace smoke.