An extremely light-bodied mixture using seasoned, ribbon-cut lemon tobaccos of the highest grade from Brazil's Rio Grande do Sul. This tobacco is a wonderful morning or afternoon smoke with a unique pastry aroma.

Blended ByMcClelland
Manufactured ByMcClelland
Denevei Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Denevei (58)

Like most McClelland's tobaccos, Pastry is very moist. Actually, I'd call it wet. This is a tobacco which will require some time to dry out before smoking. The level of moisture is going to create some very hot steam, and thus cause tongue bite. That said, if you're looking for a pleasant, slightly different aromatic and don't mind drying the tobacco a bit, this may be something you will enjoy. The pouch aroma isn't really identifiable, but is clean and alluring. The tobacco is a fairly uniform medium brown in color, and a relatively fine cut. The taste on the charring light reminded me of chocolate and raisins, and this remained in the early part of the bowl. There is also a doughy flavor, which surprised me. Though the blend claims to have a pastry-like flavor I honestly didn't expect it. Further into the bowl I was reminded of challah or hermoset. The chocolaty essence remained on the back of my throat, but toward the end of the smoke I also noticed a fruity flavor more to the front of my tongue. Several people commented to me on the fragrance, describing it as french vanilla or vanilla bean. Aromatic smokers are going to enjoy this blend, which is quite different than most typical aromatics I've smoked.

Jason h. Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jason h. (47)
Mild Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This is one of my favorites. The room note is awesome, and the taste is sweet, and mild. I have never experienced any tongue bite with this blend, and absolutely recommend this. Ive never seemed to get why folks call this a "blending tobacco?" It tastes great just by itself!

Pipe Used: Stanwell Bjarne

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

CnS Pipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CnS Pipes (24)
Very Mild Mild Mild Very Pleasant

I love this wonderful blend one of my all time favorite, it is so smooth and one of the only aromatics you can inhale, it's unique natural flavor with a hint of a pastery and not to sweet it hits the spot. I love breaking in a freshly carved pipe with it. It is actually a complex blend as you smoke it down or will change taste and end with a buttery tobacco taste that is most pleasant, I just love this blend. There is no bite to it and with compliment your taste buds all the way through. It can be a all day smoke or a morning smoke because it is so wonderful with a cup of coffee, I blend with raw tobacco that I case myself and top with my own sauce and let me tell you this blend I respect so much because it's just that good, no it won't put hair on your chest for you manly English smokers cause this blend is not for you, this blend is for those who enjoy flavor in there tobacco and a sweet hint on there tounge. I would highly recommend this blend to anyone, even my wife like's to smoke it sometimes and for a beginner you cannot go wrong. My pastery jar has earned it's place by all my top shelf jars by my humidor "oh ya that's a fine smoke" have a good evening my fellow pipe smokers and goodnight.

Pipe Used: Tinderbox St. Ives

Age When Smoked: 39

Purchased From:

Similar Blends: This fine blend stands alone.

Mild Extremely Mild Mild Very Pleasant

McClelland - No. 605 Pastry.

A medium brown blend and barring a few coarser pieces the majority of it's a shag. The aroma's one of sweet bread and the moisture's good. The title had me perplexed about what to expect, it's not every day you see a blend named Pastry.

605 lights easily, requiring only a quick touch. The first thing I noticed was the thickness of the smoke, it's almost palpable. The Virginias give the most character to the smoke, but are gently caressed by added flavours. I get a slightly grainy, bready, doughy, and croissant-like quality on top of the Va. It burns impeccably, needing very little maintenance, but due to the shag cut can be a little quick. It hasn't got a bite in it.

Nicotine: mild. Room-note: heart warming.

No. 605 Pastry? A good accompaniment to a nice coffee. Recommended:

Burn = 7

After Taste = 7

Raw Score = 42

Rated Percentage = 70%

Comment = Smooth, same Pouch Note as 110, faint nutty Flavor, slight After Taste

Good1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Good1 (6)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

The taste is great for someone wanting something lite. I thought I was having problems keeping it lit then I notice there was nothing left in ther bowl to burn. I do find that it's so lite that I do smoke it rather fast and get some tounge burn. I think if I was to use it for a blend maybe adding some cube burley to slow it down.

greekthinker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
greekthinker (18)
Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

This is a good burner with thick and plentiful plumes of smoke. I like that. However, that is the best feature of this blend. The taste is mild and forgettable. The room note is nice as with virtually all aromatics. Both the taste, which was not great to begin with, and the aroma, fade in the stretch. I can see having this blend in the mix of a number you already smoke, but it won't go on the top shelf with your favorits.

Cactus John Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cactus John (34)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Very Pleasant

This is more than likely a tobacco for blending. although you can smoke it just the way it is. Its very mild and nice but has no real special caricature on its own. It obviously has some kind of flavoring on it but seems to be more for smell than flavor although you can tell its there. Not as strong as 5100. This would be a very good tobacco for the beginning pipe smoker. And the beginning blender to play with as well.