A rich, full Oriental mixture made for the American taste. This is a classic outdoor smoke for the woodsman or cowpoke. It is stout with lots of smoked Latakia and fragrant Turkish, with just enough natural sweet matured Virginia for interest and balance. Then, we age it under pressure for several months to develop a tobacco that will bring the smoker so much pleasure he'll howl like a coyote.

Blended ByMcClelland
Manufactured ByMcClelland
Blend TypeOriental
Strength
Taste

flyrod6057 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flyrod6057 (18)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

I picked this up at the local Tinder Box.

Smells great in the jar. Lit well, although it was too moist for my liking. At the start, the latakia is evident, but the topping from the rest of the blend overwhelmed the oriental flavor. As the bowl progressed, everything settled down a bit, but it never did get it all together. I didn't necessarily dislike this blend, but I didn't really enjoy it that much, either. Overall, I liken it to a decent oriental mixed with Captain Black White. (I guess that's what they mean when they say it's blended for American tastes??) I'll finish the rest of the ounce I bought I suppose, but I won't be purchasing any more. If you want a nice English blend, there are far better choices out there. Two stars.

The good Rev. Rizzo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The good Rev. Rizzo (22)
Medium Extremely Mild Full Tolerable

Simply put, great stuff. Every aspect of this was part of a enjoyable experience. It is the complete essence of a campfire on a cool evening with a percolator of coffee going. An A+++++ rating for sure.

Pipe Used: Peterson Killarney 150

Age When Smoked: 1 year

Purchased From: El Fumador

Irishlefty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Irishlefty (19)
Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

I find this a great everyday smoke. A bit too mild to satisfy my taste completely but also mild enough to smoke 4 or 5 bowls a day without any bite. The stronger blends that I enjoy don't allow me to smoke them pipe full after pipe full!

I think of this like McClelland's Frog Morton with a little extra zing.

Meerschaum Man Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Meerschaum Man (85)
Mild to Medium None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Here's a blend where fine Orientals moderate the Cyprian and matured Virginias under the direction of an experienced blender's hand. Rich and complex, it's bold character develops into a tapestry of sweet, spicey counterpoint without collision of tastes. I have been fortunate to acquire a supply with the benefit of a few years age. Further, I have presssed it, which served to smooth out and enhance it's smokey qualities. Slow burning and affordable, it is a welcome addition to the diversity of Oriental blends. Earthy and multidimensional, the smoking experience is at once engaging and seductive, drawing the pipester into a winding tale of an earth born paradise found. A welcome respite for day or night, it provides full presence from beginning to end. I can think of no reservations in recommending this blend.

Meerschaum Man Smoking a Yanik Freeform Art Neuveau

flaminbill' Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flaminbill' (57)
Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

This tobacco has an odd consistency, probably from the multitude of chunks and stems present; therefore, it requires some sorting. It is hard to explain, but sometimes it is difficult to determine whether the tobacco is too dry or too moist: Most unusual in that regard.

That being said, I think that it is a wonderful smoke. The Virginias, Latakia and Orientals have a well balanced interplay that equals or exceeds many more highly-touted, and more expensive, blends.

Coyote has a sweet undertone that lasts the entire bowl but has very little bite even when smoked aggressively. This qualifies as an all-day smoke.

Personally, I only smoke it a couple of times per week, usually with a small glass of George Dickel or Jameson's Irish. I particularly like it in a (Lane era) Charatan "Perfection" or a Don Carlos "One Note".

Did I mention that it is one great value? It can be purchased cheap and is a slow burner to boot.

3.5 of 4 stars from my point of view.

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Here is another blend you have probably encountered in numerous B & M shops all over the country, usually by some proprietary name. Nevertheless, very fami;iar flavor of a fairly stout English blend with a trace of sweetness. Neither as dark, nor as sweet as 5110 (bulk version of Frog Morton), but still a crossoverover blend IMHO.

True to their description, this is a full flavored blend, quite suitable for outdoor smoking. It lights easily, but burns slow and cool. The flavor shows little layering, being almost monochromatic, but always engaging. I find there is some PG in the blend (not surprising, as it is a bulk blend), which keeps it from burning clean all the way to the bottom of the bowl. Best in a medium to large pipe.

smallshinythings Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smallshinythings (4)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

One of my favorites. I like the Latakia and sweetness. It's something I can smoke all day and mostly forget until it asserts itself occasionally.

Seems to essentially be a Frog Morton blend in bulk. Nice price, good, even smoke.

Pipe Used: Usuall bents and bulldogs

Age When Smoked: New to aged

Similar Blends: McClelland - Frog Morton on the Town (Craftsbury Series).

FireintheBriar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
FireintheBriar (9)
Mild None Detected Medium Tolerable

I took a chance on this tobacco because of the dashing description of itself, "will bring the smoker so much pleasure he'll howl like a coyote." I usually buy a half a dozen new tobaccos every time I order to expand my palette. This one Coyote Classic Full (CCF) is one of five containers that now sit empty in my desk drawer. Westminster, Odyssey, Presbyterian, and Lancer's Slices are the others. How about another line of catchy marketing - "good to the last drop"! There are 22 other blends in my desk that reside in partial containers.

Anyway back to CCF, it seems to have just the right moisture content to smoke right out of the bag to burn with minimal relighting. CCF is also easy on the tongue, has no nicotine kick, and tastes good. Again I have only smoked a pipe for 2 years; 27 different tobaccos so instead of intricate phrasing like "tastes leathery", I just classify them taste good or tastes bad. I would recommend you try CCF, but it did not make my reorder list; for me there are many others I want to try. The only pipe tobacco I have reordered is Westminster, I would order more Lancer's Slices but it is out of stock at Smoking Pipes. I like the way their website is setup, so I buy there and buy enough to usually get free shipping.

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (120)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I could see smoking this all day. Reminds me of af a blend JR Cigars sells called Baker Street. It has that same sweetness, perhaps from the VA? Although this blend is a bit flat, it does provide that sweetness that I like. This could be a great oriental blend to introduce an aromatic smoker to. I will probably finish off this 4oz, but there are others I would buy instead.

jwne Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jwne (9)
Medium Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong

Upon lighting up this mixture is not unlike all the English blends out there. You get that smokey, bbq thing going on. About mid bowel, I start detecting an aroma like freshly brewed coffee. Can't taste the coffee, but I certainly smell it. This blend allows me to get away with murder while smoking around others. I've been crucified for smoking strong English blends before. But this Coyote Classic seems to go over well with others. Who doesn't like the smell of brewing coffee?

BBlevins Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BBlevins (102)

A decent all day smoke for those who enjoy some Cyprian Latakia on a regular basis. The Orientals are quite flavorful, but the Virginia in this blend adds a twang that I'm pretty sure I could do without. Nonetheless, a decent smoke.

PipenGuitar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipenGuitar (15)
Mild Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I would have to agree with a previous review in that this blend reminds me of Frog Morton but with a little more zest/zing or something of that nature. It was a bit difficult keeping it lit at first but once lit, it burned beautifully.

Haebar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Haebar (5)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

I felt that this blend lacked body and was lacking in strength; I had to puff too hard to get an adequate volume of smoke. The Virginias were so subtle it was hard to detect them. Although the Latakia is there it is hard to recognize it. Most of the smoke was a wall of Orientals that don't deliver much volume or strength. If you are sensitive to nicotine, this would be a good blend for you as it is low.

Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

I am smoking 1oz sample pouch of this; it tastes similar to no.2020 Matured cake with Latakia added on and some maple flavoring.

The flavor is mainly Latakia in the McClelland?s way. I am not a Latakia fan, perhaps with some exceptions (Squadron Leader, Davidoff Royalty). This is an ?OK? blend but nothing fantastic, I will finish this sample but I will not buy it again.

McClelland Tobaccos in tins are always better quality than in bulk, trust me on this!

Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

If you are looking for an Oriental/English for social times, this is not your tobacco. If you are looking for a smoke that you can enjoy in peace and solitude, and want something with a bit of body this is your tobacco. While not as good as LondonBlend 1000 it has a similar body and texture. The oriental is not as pronounced as I would like but about the last 1/3 of the bowl, it comes into play. My big complaint is all the crap pieces that showed up in my pound I purchased. There were plenty of stems and other misc. garbage parts that had to be sorted out. It also seemed a bit tricky to pack. I do enjoy this tobacco but with many other blends that do the same type of thing for me, I will only be able to say that it was worth a try but, will not replace some others in my rotation.

lensman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lensman (30)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

Smoky taste, lots of thick smoke. Latakia dominant until mid-bowl, at which time some Oriental spice sneaked in, hardly noticeable. Didn?t pick up much Virginia. Reminiscent of a campfire; something to sit back and get friendly with. High quality at a great price.

Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

10/04/2004:This is a very popular smoke for those who are looking for an all-day English style blend. I would rather smoke fewer bowls of a richer blend like the Full English from the same company. Definitely worth a test drive for the adventurous and it may be just what you are looking for. I don't have much variety in my room note ratings as I don't usually smoke indoors. Unless a tobacco has a very obvious fragrance, I just mark tolerable. Also if I think it is extra pungent or have negative feedback from Mrs. Spike, I will remark on this attribute. Update: Yes the odor of this one elicits plenty of comments from the peanut gallery! I think Orientals in generally are pretty pungent to non smokers.

Update: 11/22/06 A good bulk English for those with low expectations.

peakbagger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
peakbagger (41)

Coyote 5125 and its cousin 5110 (Full English) are American style English mixtures. Both blends are pleasant but somewhat bland. My taste tells me that the Orientals play a more dominate role with this blend and the VA are less noticeable and sweet. The tobacco in the tin [jar] is imposing both visually and in aroma but the smoke is mostly mild to medium in both strength and flavor. This is mostly a one dimensional smoke as the flavors do not shift and change down through the bowl. It seems a bit moist and smokes a bit wet. 7 out of 10 stars.

dualkarnain Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dualkarnain (74)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

This tobacco has an interesting flavor- the sweetness of the Virginias starts off - and ends! as the predominate flavor. It is heartily supported by the latakia and is topped off with a citrusy oriental.

While it is novel and has a full spectrum of flavor I prefer Two Friends' Bed & Breakfast when I'm in the mood for a VA/Or.

Smoking this reminds me of an undead zombie band of fiddlers with irreflective hollow eyes whittling away at the devil's instruments in the moonlight.

romaso Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
romaso (36)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

This is a very tasty full-bodied smoke. I really enjoy how the sweetness of the dark Virginias balance with the Orientals and Latakia. Broad spectrum of flavor. This is what I reach for when I want a full English/Oriental mix.

Medium None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

Upon opening the bulk I was impressed by the darkness and the smoked smell of this tobacco. The cut is varied, with mostly ribbons and some chunky pieces that I decided to rub in order to obtain a more homogeneus blend and make the packing easier. The burning is even, cool, dry...This blend really helps you so you are free to taste it without bothering about the smoke dynamics. Despite a poor-to-medium nicotine content this mixture delivers plenty of flavour, it's really smoky and stout as it appears, with latakia dominating from the beginning to the end. The orientals are tasty too and add some deepness to an otherwise monodimensional blend, since Virginias here are a mere support (at least I couldn't taste them). All in all it isn't a very complex blend but is a wonderful value for the latakiaheads.

jackhackett Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jackhackett (76)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

All in all, Coyote Classic Full delivers on its promise, though I never felt compelled to put on the cowboy hat and rope cattle.

But is there some kind of (or distant relative of) lake district floral soapy toppings in this? Just a tiny little bit?

There's something in this that I can't put my finger on that seems to distract a little from the main components, or maybe it's an element in one of those components. Maybe this is what makes CCF "for the American taste" whatever that may mean.

There's little variation here, but a solid smoke it is.

DUPE.1512 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Coyote Classic is aptly named for one thing, the amount of sticks and twigs included in the tobacco. I dump my new bags of this mixture on to the table and pick all of them out. Other than that, this is a great medium all day Latakia blend that I have become very fond of and keep at least 8 ounces of this on hand at all times. This just tastes like an oudoor smoke. Once the trash is removed, it packs easy, lites easy, and burns clean, slow and even to the bottom of the bowl. Its taste is Full, smooth and rich. I give it 3 out 4, the twigs having to be picked out costs it a star.

Rusty Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rusty (38)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

I wonder how "coyote" fits into the naming of this blend. It really has nothing to do with that small wild canine, it has everything to do with good taste. Indeed, this is a full flavored everyday non-aromatic with enough latakia for anybody, and it's never harsh or biting. If I could say anything negative about it, it would be in condemnation of those infernal pieces of stem. They have to be teased out as you're loading, or you won't get a steady burn. Nevertheless, this is a superb everyday smoke.

bigjonburley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bigjonburley (64)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Strong

Looking for a rock-solid, all day english blend? This is the stuff. I love this blend and, now keep at least a pound at all times. This is a very American English blend, due to the sweet textures that are emitted from the VA's. A great all day smoke that is a value to boot!

Montague Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Montague (32)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

McClelland?s bulk No.5125 Coyote Classic Full is a rich Oriental blend with Latakia and matured Virginia added.

The pouch aroma of Coyote Classic is rich and rustic with a definite tangy/grassy characteristic and an outdoors woodsy dimension. A slightly pleasant aromatic sweetness can be noticed in the aroma. The aroma is full but not overbearing in any way. Coyote Classic is composed of Turkish, Latakia, and matured Virginia tobaccos. The color of this blend is mostly black with additions of red/brown and yellow/orange.

Coyote Classic Full has a short broken flake/ribbon cut which packs easily. This blend smokes well with a medium moisture content.

Coyote Classic lights readily and burns wonderfully with few if any relights. The burn progresses as a medium rate. The burn leaves the sides of the pipe bowl clean and yields a dark gray ash. Coyote Classic leaves no wetness in the bottom of the pipe bowl. The room note is not overbearing, as many full Oriental blends tend to be.

The flavor of Coyote Classic is both leathery and sweet which produces a barbeque-like taste. The flavor of the blend tends to center around the tanginess of the Turkish tobaccos than the Latakia. The sweetness present in the flavor is probably due to a slight topping that along with the fore mentioned sweetness, adds a smooth creamy dimension as well. Coyote Classic smokes quite cool and hardly any bite is present. Coyote Classic possesses no nicotine kick and a medium smoke is produced while smoking the blend.

McClelland?s Coyote Classic Full is an easy, inexpensive, and satisfying Oriental blend. These characteristics make Coyote Classic a great all day smoke.

Tiger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tiger (53)
Medium None Detected Medium Very Strong

McC's Coyote Classic, I have to admit, is fairly described in the posts above. But as a member of the Full English Proletariat, I have to come to Coyote's defense. There isn't a thing wrong with a Full English that can be smoked all day. This is a Fun smoke. If there is an "auto-pilot" Full English, Coyote is probably it. And "Coyote" is not a reference to the coarseness of the cut, it's simply an apt reference to the response of indoor bystanders... and that can be useful when certain bystanders come to visit. Fact is; Coyote is a tasty, easy English that is fun to smoke. My rating it as "occasional" is only because of my habit of smoking one blend exclusively for a few days, then on to another blend for a few days and etc. so it takes me about a month to cycle around to Coyote or any other specific blend on my shelf. Four stars to Coyote! Have been smoking Coyote more lately and liking it better and better.

St. Tiger to the Piperstines 13:1-7

ArtGuy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ArtGuy (8)

Wow, this is one of the tobaccos I cut my teeth on and fell in love with it from the get go. I guess I can see why one who is used to more traditional English blends may find it a bit mild, but it is really one of the best latakia blends out there if you ask me.

Smokes dry, packs easy, stays lit and the latakia makes itself known straight from the match. I tasted Bladder Reserve about a week before tasting this. After trying 5125 I remember saying to myself "20.00 a pound! Forget Bladder Reserve..."

I have some in my cellar just waiting to see what it is like with some age on it.

omegapd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
omegapd (81)

A fair English blend. The "recipe" sounds perfect but something falls flat in the final product. Everything sort of just melds together and nothing stands out. That, and it'll take you an hour to pick out all the stems and stuff before you can fill a bowl...

WxGuy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WxGuy (95)

#5125 Coyote Classic Full is a "classic"example of a blend being less than the sum of its parts. I am a great fan of latakia-laden blends, mind you, but this one does not do it for me.

I received a quarter of a pound of this blend as a "gift" along with a largish order for a well-known internet dealer. Now, a qp seems like a large qunatity to give gratis as a sampler. Afterv smoking a few blends, I can see why, however, as I cannnot imagine this product moving very well.

I found the blend to be bitter from one end of the bowl to the other. Maybe it is the large turkish component, I do not know. It also left a bitter eftertaste, and this was consistent over several bowls in different pipes, including a meer dedicated to balkan blends.

There are too many good balkan blends out there (including a few from McC.) that are so superior that I cannot see wasting smoking opportunities on Coyote Classic.

BriarLaw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarLaw (85)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Tolerable

This tobacco really caught my interest as it has a rich and smokey pouch aroma. It also had hints of that signature McLelland smell (sweet/tangy). The cut was relatively course ribbon which was easy to pack and good for the outdoors. Good moisture content (higher than many but standard for McLelland).

While the flavor was reasonably good, it was not great. I think the tobacco lacks natural sweetness and is focused too much on the Latakia/Turkish component. The Latakia was of high quality, just too one-dimensional for me. So smokey it tasted like BBQ. I agree that this is sort of like a stong version of Dunhill's Early Morning Pipe. Strong in flavor that is, not nicotine.

I would try this if you are a fan of Turkish and Latakia. You VA lovers should look elsewhere.

David Cimino Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
David Cimino (18)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Here's an Oriental that is a change of pace for Latakia lovers. I love the old-fashioned, rustic aroma of the tobacco in the pouch. This blend is full bodied, but very smooth. I would not categorize this tobacco as strong. It burns cool and somehow I find it to be of a lighter variety despite the fullness of the blend. The Latakia is complemented nicely by the matured Virginia and the flavorful Turkish. The taste is woodsy and leathery. I find it suitable as an all day smoke. I just discovered this and I will keep some around.

lustra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lustra (170)

I could have saved myself a lot of trouble fussing with this tobacco if I'd just read Pipestud's review first for confirmation that this just-OK blend has an ineluctable rawness that I don't care for.

Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Extra Strong

A friend recently sent me a sample of Coyote, and when I read above in the description that this would be a blend pleasing to cowpokes - well, hey, that's me!

This tobacco is not me, though. I found it to be rather unusual in strength and taste. Though strong, the taste was milder than I expected and did not vary at all. I think Coyote can best be described as a coarse version of Dunhill's Early Morning Pipe. It has a rough edge that just was not pleasant.

If you are looking to wind up your evening with some power in your smoke, Coyote may be for you. I'll say this for the stuff, it'll send the kids screaming from the room in watery eyed terror.

Finally, when you pack this weed, watch out for the stems -- they're all over the place.

Black Seamus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Black Seamus (56)
Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

Pouch aroma: Sniffing at the pouch brings the aromas of leather, peat and smoke that makes known the Latakia content of this blend, and a slight, tangy ?horse bedding? aroma that reveals the Turkish content.

Appearance: Mostly black leaf, medium cut, with a smattering of browns and some gold ribbons. The contents of my pouch are just a little too moist. A short airing alleviates this.

Initial flavor: The charring light brings the muted taste of the Turkish first, a surprise considering all the black leaf in this blend. The relight brings in the smoky Latakia but also more Turkish spice. There is a subtle sweetness here as well. The smoke is exceedingly cool and full of flavor.

Mid bowl: I usually find Turkish tobaccos to be quite piquant, especially when exhaled through the nose, but the Latakia in this blend seems to keep that piquancy at bay, while allowing the Turkish flavor to remain full. The Latakia flavor is just as full, without being overwhelming. The Virginias bring an occasional note of sweetness, but without the sharpness that Virginias are noted for. I am somewhat astonished at how well rounded this blend is at mid-bowl.

The tobacco burns slowly, and the smoke, while plentiful, continues to remain cool.

Final: The bottom of the bowl becomes nice and earthy. The tang of Virginias becomes a little more noticeable here, but the Turkish and Latakia remain the major players. The flavor jumps around quite nicely, and the piquancy of the Turkish has begun to make itself known, though not overwhelmingly.

Summary: This is a delightful, full flavored smoke for the lovers of full English blends. I prefer it to #5110, Dark English Full. Although it?s touted as an outdoors smoke, most likely due to its slow burning properties, I enjoy this while sitting in my favorite easy chair as well.