It is rich and smooth and balanced in flavor and aroma. Stoved Virginia cake tobaccos bring depth to the rubbed out red matured Virginias in this pleasantly fruity, naturally spicy, fragrant all Virginia mixture.

Blended ByMcClelland
Manufactured ByMcClelland
Strength
Taste
2.7
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The various Virginias are tangy dark fruit sweet with a fermented quality, a little sugar and spice, citrus, a bit of earth, and a couple blades of grass. The “vinegar” smell does translate into the taste, but weakens a bit as you go along. I’m not sure about the toppings, but they are fruity and tone down the tobaccos a little. The nic-hit is mild to medium. Won’t bite or get harsh. Burns clean and cool at a slightly slow pace with a moderately consistent flavor. Leaves some moisture in the bowl, and requires a few relights. The after taste is decent. Not quite an all day smoke despite this being a mild to medium blend. Two and a half stars.

Very similar to Deep Hollow, but a little stronger with the darker Virginia leaf involved in the mix. A very naturally sweet compilation that gets the job done. I think lighter and sweeter is the key here. If that's your cup of tea then start driniin this one!

Another gifted sample of about an ounce. Mostly dark brown to black ribbons with an aromatic casing greeting the nose upon opening the bag. Naturally I'm not sure I can place it but to me it smelled of coconut and perhaps nougat. As these types of flavorings are often not to my liking, I was a bit hesitant but I soldiered on.

Nice example of what might be the difference between an aromatic and a "fragrant" blend. I think of aromatics (Goopers) as an attempt to negate all tobacco taste with a "fragrant" blend being more about the tobacco. This is the latter. The casing wasn't unpleasant but for me it was unnecessary. A bit fruity but not overbearing. The Virginias came through and were tangy and sweet with some dark stoved flavor. There may have been some complexity but the casing did a pretty fair job of making this a simple affair... and indeed I think that's the point, based on its name. This strikes me as being for those who like casing on their Virginias to create extra sweetness without having to suffer through too much casing and its requisite moisture and pipe ghosting. The blend succeeds on that level and would be a nice step up for aromatic smokers. For me, it's 2.5 stars. Nice but not much to offer the Virginia lover.

Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

McClelland - No. 5120 Fragrant Virginia Blend.

A mixture of different colours, from black to light brown, including a fair few chunky/longer ribbons, and very well hydrated. The only notable flavour in the aroma I recognise is a sort of sweet one, I get nothing particularly sharp, or the usual McKetchup smell.

On to the smoke: I only get a slight aromatic addition, at first, but if I'm honest it's enough to put me off; it's not that it's bad, it's just not my thing. I get a sort of floral/perfume note and this spoils it. I get none of the Virginia qualities that I normally find appealing: bread/dough. To me, it has a lot more of the sharper varieties. To be fair, I find the causticity calms down somewhat and the flavour improves a little. A few things I find good: it doesn't bite and the burn's good.

The nicotine's mild and I don't like the room-note.

To me, it's only worth two stars:

Somewhat recommended.

Pipe Used: Peterson Kinsale XL12

Age When Smoked: Two months

Purchased From: 4noggins

RyinMD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RyinMD (25)

This Virginia blend looks like they've combined 5100 with one or two of their other Virginia blends - adding stoved Virginia to matured red Virginia. I like it - so much so that I've made it my regular Virginia blend when I feel like a Virginia. I don't understand the reviews saying it doesn't have much of a nicotine hit. I get plenty, and depending on the size of the bowl, I can get a bit more than I want - depending on puffing style.

I couldn't make it an everyday blend. It bites my tongue if I have too much or puff too quickly. But I really like it. It does well with aging - or right out of the pouch.

Pipe Used: Charatan, GBD, Wessex, Stanwell, Andre, etc.

Age When Smoked: New to 1 year.

Purchased From: Smokingpipes.com, others

Burn = 8

After Taste = 8

Raw Score = 46

Rated Percentage = 77%

Comment = Smooth, Mid Strength Flavor, * Ketchup Pouch Note, but it has a hint of a Bite

* Foot Note: McClelland famous "Ketchup" aroma and / or taste comes from the natural fermentation of unstoved / non flue curded Virginias that are aged in cakes.

Puffingstuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puffingstuff (100)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

This blend is in the three blend trio of McClelland Virginias that starts with;

1.Carolina Deluxe- More Aromatic Virginia. 2. Black and Lemon- smaller aromatic Virginia. 3.Fragrant Virginia Ribbon. The aromatic agent is only waved over the top of this blend like an extra dry martini.

Is this blend tasty? You betcha! It is Virginia sweet and even slighty smoky the way Provost is "kinda smoky" but it's only Virginias that are fooling you into thinking there is more to it. The ribbon cut is long and lucious with Pure Red Virginias and stoved smoky Virginias. The slight aromatic is just a tiny,tiny bit that just works so very well with this. Amazing blend here!

Update; This blend tastes like a whole tin of Virginia Flake was turned into ribbon.This blend has Nicotene contenet that to me is just right. Not to weak and not overpowering. Those that said this has no nic hit must have been smoking rope tobaccos. An excellent smoke!

albfneto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
albfneto (184)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a high quality pure Virginia, but almost tasteless, flat. slow burning, without the difficulties od the Flake or Plug cuts. the flavour and taste are very mild. Seems to be light in nicotine content, suggested for begginners and for people that enjoy pure tobaccos, but it will problaby not so good for fans of latakia or aromatic mixtures. It will be good for smokers that like pure Virginias, bu for me, pure Virginias are only for mix with other tobaccos. 3 stars for the quality of the mixture, but is not for me. All pure or almost pure virginias are flat!

pipe-junky Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipe-junky (10)
Extremely Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant

For me 5120 is mild enough to where I can smoke bowl after bowl if I choose. As for the flavoring , it is what it is and I would just be guessing but its enjoyable.Taste is mild yet flavor able and simple enough to enjoy without having to sit there and try to concentrate to figure it out. To me that's a good smoke. While i have puffed on the other 51"s I would like to see if this baccy improves with age and I would not doubt it. Try some I bet you'll smoke the hell out of it.

Pipe Used: graco small billard, church warden,falcon

Purchased From: P&C

Dr. Scott Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr. Scott (82)

An unpleasant casing detracts from an otherwise inoffensive Virginia blend.

Pipemanuk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipemanuk (76)

A pleasant, earthy, faintly musty taste is what greets me first with this blend. A mix of 5100 and a little 5105, I took a while to differentiate visually between a bag of 5100 and 5120. Midway through the bowl the earthiness has gone away and there's some spicy sweetness evident, albeit in a raw unpolished state. This tobacco cries out for ageing doesn't it. Doesn't yet convince me that it's a great tobacco blend, and yet hints that there is complexity waiting to develop. Towards the end of the bowl, the gurgle starts to appear and the smoky mustiness reappears as well. I can't say that I'm over impressed with this, as a freshly bought tobacco. My point of writing this review is really to record my impressions as it is now and then come back in say 6 months to compare it with the 1lb I've put away to age. I'm hoping the jarred tobacco will be a big improvement on this. If it's not I won't be buying anymore.

Update June 2008. I've bought a few more pounds of this and added 1 ounce of Perique to 1 lb of 5120. Makes quite a difference...smooths out the sweetness and adds some piquancy. Seemed to me that it also hid the mustiness as well. I like this mix very much. I have cellared several jars of this and have high hopes of it in a year or two.

Upgraded to 3 stars.

Buster Bluth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Buster Bluth (56)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

Super Fresh Ketchup is how I describe this blend. After a day with this tobacco, the remaining 11 oz. was jarred. Don't get me wrong it was a-ok. The fragrance is the bag is overwhelmingly fruity. It has a fresher version of the signature McClelland aroma. I just found it to taste like an aromatic blend I used to buy at the mall tobacconist as a teen. A little too moist, and a little over the top for a person whose tastes have developed. I tried air drying, some time in the briar, and DGT to no avail. I usually like Red Va. We'll see what several mos. do. Like another reviewer mentioned. I like the component parts here, it just needs time to mellow. Will report back.

dprovons Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dprovons (11)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

I received a sample of this from Tobacco Direct.com along with my bulk order of 5100. I chucked it off to the side and kind of forgot about it for a week or so. I found it in my tobacco drawer and thought I would take it to work, where aeromatics are appreciated by my co-workers. I just finished another bowl of it and had several co-workers comment that it smelled really good and why don't I smoke it more often (they don't care for my full latakia weed).

I have to say, I don't find this to be an aeromatic (though I thought it would be from the name "fragrant"). I actually really enjoy it as a sweet treat and a departure from my regular blends. I may even order some in bulk to keep on hand. Good quality virginia and natural sweetness, plus a pleasing room note for the folks around you. Not a bad combination at all.

Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This blend of red, black stoved and a hint of golden VAs has many of the characteristics of another McClelland "fragrant" bulk blend, #2000 Matured Cake. Both are exceptionally moist on receipt which leads to extra work to find the proper drying time. The pouch aromas are fruity/sweet and room aromas well accepted by most non-smokers. If you're smoking more for your company's benefit, this might be a good choice of a non-aromatic VA. Although this one smoked cool and without bite, I prefer the #2000 over this ribbon cut due to the more uniform and slower burning properties. However, neither has enough punch for other than early AM smoke.

Danno Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Danno (102)
Mild Mild Medium Very Pleasant

I have not played with McC's bulk virginia's much, but I enjoy this one. It burns well across a wide spectrum of temperature ranges, indoors and out. The longer it ages, the more exquisite it becomes, perfect for those long solitary walks in mother nature. Recommended to one and all, but do sip it slowly, as it deserves your attention.