A matured cake blend of the finest lemon and orange red Virginias, enhanced with natural fruit essences. It is lightly sweet, satisfying, smooth but with a little zest. This is matured Virginia at its traditional best.

Blended ByMcClelland
Taste
Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable

2.9
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Nice looking broken flake with a bag aroma (1 oz sample) of basic Virginia overlaid with a Lakeland-type essence. Very light on the scenting which is almost just that... a scenting rather than a flavoring. However, the flavoring does come out in the taste, but it's very light while the scenting is rather heavier (but not heavy in the least).

This smokes like a straight Virginia... sweet and robust in the way only McClellands seems to deliver, but with that light sweetener. I can't place the flavoring/scent and it's considerably less noticeable than their #2000. While that one is noticeable for having excellent flavor and a flavoring that lasts down the entire bowl, this one is wispier on the casing. The virginia is top-notch and this would be a blend that those looking to break away from the goopy aromatics might try. This might be McClellands answer to the Lakeland style blends, although it's more of a gallant effort than an all-out success. Worth a try but not destined for my rotation, as I prefer the more fully realized #2000 as my cased broken flake Virginia of choice.

Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Like others, this reminds me a bit of a Lakeland -- the topping seems to me to be a bit like GH's Louisiana Flake -- but only a bit. The topping itself is on the mild and sweetish side, the N is even lighter. There is a bit of a bite to this, but fortunately just a bit. A pleasant summer smoke, when something light and a bit different is called for. Since I know there are many tobaccos out there I would rate a 4, the question arises would I rebuy this particular tobacco, assuming my tastes don't change much more. In this case, the answer is not often.

Pipe Used: various briars and meers

Age When Smoked: opened on arrival

Purchased From: pipes & cigars

Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (171)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

Looking back on my reviews over the last few years, you will read about McClelland blends always biting my tongue horribly. I must be learning to properly smoke these blends. Although I do get a bit "stung", it's not really bad at all.

5115 is a nice mild VA that is a great morning smoke. I do not detect much casing in here as stated, but it is a bit more sweet than some. Rub, lights and packs fairly easy, just be careful to slow your puffing to reduce bite. This can burn fairly wet, but a few hours of drying will remedy that. All in all, not a bad choice for an everyday VA.

Pairs well with my morning coffee.

9/11/11

I have smoked about 4 oz of this, and is a great all day VA blend. Fast becoming a favorite of mine!

Denevei Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Denevei (58)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Others sing the praises of McClelland's 5100 as their all-day smoke. And I've recommended 5100 to enough people, enough times, and have purchased enough of it, that I readily agree. But if you get too caught up in it you'll miss this delightful blend! I know I almost did. As often as I've heard people rave about 5100, I‘ve never heard mention of 5115; I bought my first half pound of it merely because I liked the description.

5115 arrives as a broken flake, with some large flakes and a lot of smaller ones, as well as some that appears rubbed. In color it is an orange-yellow-brown tone. The aroma is less tobacco-ey than 5100, with an undertone of citrus. And that undertone makes all of the difference in the world when put to flame.

From the first light, the tobacco has a delightful, citrus taste on the back of the tongue. But the hint of citrus is neither intrusive nor, I hesitate to say, "aromatic." It's there, but is there just like it belongs. And it contrasts nicely with the sweetness of the tobacco, providing a pleasant tang.

If I had to choose between 5100 and 5115 as my lighter Virginia, I think I'd go with this blend. 5100 is, of course, wonderful. But this one seems to play more nicely with other tobaccos. I sometimes mix it 50-50 with 2035 with nice results. Of course, I'm thankful that McClelland hasn't caused me to make a choice – I can have both!

arpie55 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
arpie55 (64)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

To be honest I ordered this by mistake, I meant to order 5110 and was not paying enough attention. When I received it I was a bit disappointed but since I was to blame I was not going to let it go to waste. Turns out that this a decent smoke with a fairly straight forward tobacco flavor. Care in stoking is needed in order to prevent tongue burn, puff it slow and savor. By no means compares to Dark Star or St James Woods but performs well for a bulk cake.

Pipe Used: Briar

Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

Another winner from McClelland. More rubbed out than some of their other blends with brown and some yellow VAs. Notable for the absence of the strong vinegary pouch aroma of some of their other blends. Although they claim a fruit casing, I didn't sense it in the smoke or room aroma which slightly hinted of burning wood. A cool, smooth smoke from start to finish with sweet undertones in various pipes. A great all day smoke which I usually keep available when I choose a lighter blend.

unclebuccs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
unclebuccs (3)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Broken flake with a tin note of that famous McClelland twang....and fruit. A bit of an odd combo, but it all comes together in short order.

I've come to the conclusion this tobacco is kind of a McClellanized Royal Yacht. The fruit flavoring is comparable to Dunhill's Royal Yacht, in how it comes across, and in how it functions as a sort of Perique substitute.

Old World is a wonderful blend that I intend to cellar more of.

Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

McClelland - No. 5115 Old World Classic Cake.

It's a very coarse broken flake, half the pouch needed a full rub because of being whole flakes. The other half wasn't without want for attention, either, but this half was a little more 'broken'. Moisture was good the day it arrived, two weeks after placing the order (I'm U.K., this was a Cup O' Joes order), and it had a subsequent two week wait once it had arrived.

The smoke from it is one that's clearly from high quality Virginia. It tastes 'developed', more than fresh, if that makes sense; I identify a matured sweetness, instead of fresh hay. The added fruit topping makes up for any missing citrus from the Virginia, but in all fairness, would mask it anyway. From the topping I get only citrus fruit, I can't taste the coffee. The smoke has a cool temperature, I get no bite, and it burns well.

The room-note: nice enough, just not 'my thing'. Nicotine: mild.

I think 5115 is a good, well made blend, but it falls a little short of four stars, for me.

Recommended.

Pipe Used: Peder Jeppesen

Age When Smoked: One month

Purchased From: Cup O' Joes

Perique Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Perique (150)

5115 Old World Classic Cake is a (barely) broken flake of medium brown with a sweet and slightly bready tin note. The charring and true lights bring a light fruit flavor with distinct Virginia grassiness, some very light earthiness and toast. The fruit flavoring here is very mild and quickly mellows in the first third of the bowl, melding seamlessly with the Virginia to create a very smooth-smoking blend.

Sipping this blend slowly, it reminds me somewhat of Newminster Superior Navy Flake, but with a light, Scandi-style fruit topping and a thinner mouthfeel. There is distinct tobacco flavor here, far more so than I would expect from what the blender refers to as an aromatic. Another good comparison is Stokkebye's Luxury Twist Flake. Like that flake, 5115 is a Virginia that happens to be flavored with citrus fruit - a classification distinct from "aromatic". And like LTF, 5115 has aging potential written all over it. If this is an aromatic, then so is Orlik Golden Sliced. For those who like the smell and taste of Danish blends but need more tobacco flavor and less bite, this might be your Holy Grail. Burning characteristics are more Virginia than aromatic, and 5115 leaves little mess in the bowl.

I didn't know what to expect from this blend, but overall I was very impressed. While many flavored Virginia blends promise, this one actually delivers. I'll be jarring this up and look forward to re-tasting it 3-5 years down the road. While this style won't appeal to all pipe smokers, it could be a three star blend as the flavoring mellows in the jar and the Virginia has had a few years to think about itself. That cannot be said of similar blends, reflecting McClelland's commitment to quality Virginia leaf even within its flavored lineup.

Puffingstuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puffingstuff (100)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

A straight forward blend of different Virginia leaf with a slight fruity tone. The Virginia leaf is amazing here,absolutely delightful! The fruit essence is so slight that it rides along the smoke almost undetectable. Dry as usual. Lights easy and coats the bowl nicely. Tangy, but balanced. A really nice tobacco that I'll buy again.

Pipe Used: Dunhill Canadian group 5

Age When Smoked: Few weeks old.

Similar Blends: Astleys, rotary, Capstan..

Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

A high quality tobacco, medium strength and comes ready to smoke. I do feel rubbing it out helps some. However, it's just not for me, I don't get the citrus notes but rather a very slight Lakeland floral taste. I'm not a fan of LF so I can't rate this high enough to buy again. You may love it ?

agree with reviewer, "PfeifenRaucher 12/23/2008 "

Smoke_Ring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Burn = 9

After Taste = 8

Raw Score = 48

Rated Percentage = 80%

Comment = Smooth, Mild, Mellow, good Flavor, * Ketchup Pouch Note, white ash Burn, nice smoke, this is the best of the McCelland 5000 series blends

* Foot Note: McClelland famous "Ketchup" aroma and / or taste comes from the natural fermentation of unstoved / non flue curded Virginias that are aged in cakes.

Mild Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is basically the same mild flake tobacco used in 2010 on which they added fruits cocktail syrup, the resulting aroma is sweet, fruity with less ketchup smell, overall the fruits syrup casing is really well done.

This smoke will please those who prefer mild Virginia cased with natural fruity aroma. Decent summer smoke .

Captain Pete Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Captain Pete (83)
Mild Mild Medium Tolerable

For those of you who believe that McClelland is incapable of producing virginias without their trademark "ketchup" topping, this may be the tobacco to try. Before I go further, I wish to offer one caveat; this tobacco is only for experienced virginia smokers, those oh so patient puffers (that's puffers, not 'poofers').

This medium brown virginia flake, available only in bulk, has a clean virginia smell to it. The natural fruit essences have been added with a light touch, and are just barely detectable once the tobacco is properly dry. The flavorings complement the natural citrusiness of the virginia so well, that hard to tell there is anything other than tobacco in this flake. Some people find straight va. flakes boring, bitey, or just too difficult to work with. 5115 is no different than most virginia flakes in terms of ease of use. It's a thick flake, and takes some work to rub out fully. And it simply will not burn well if just broken up into chunks, and stuffed into the pipe. But patience is rewarded. Once fully rubbed out, and carefully loaded, this baccy shines. The first half dozen or so attempts at a charring light are the most critical; this is where you are most likely to ruin your tongue, so take it easy and be patient in lighting. Once lit, the stuff burns slowly of its own accord, and does not require a lot of puffing to keep it going.

I have learned that most McClelland virginias do have a slight cigarette like quality to the smoke, and that is something I have just had to learn to deal with. And 5115 definitely has that cigarette like acrid quality when breathed up through the sinuses, but this is forgivable given the quality of the tobacco. The flavors range from oaty/hops to citrus. The sweetness is more a background note in this particular flake, so you will not be overwhelmed by it. I find the flavors to be very well balanced, maybe a little too much so, as this may lead some to believe that it is a boring/bland smoke.

It's not overwhelming, but it's not boring. And I find that the different virginia flavors vary depending on the pipe I smoke it in. A dublin will cause the higher citrus notes to come out, as well as the sharpness of the tobacco. A group 4 or 5 bulldog is my favorite pipe to smoke this in. Does not smoke well in a chimney, and it is just to sharp on the tongue to smoke in a really small pipe. But, in a medium billiard or bulldog it smokes very well.

As I stated, this is a tobacco for experienced virginia smokers. If you have smoked MacBaren's virinia #1, and liked it, then this is another tobacco for you to try. It's richer than Va. #1 but is very similar in terms of flavor. It does require one's full attention, as becoming sidetracked while puffing can result in a scorched tongue. Load it carefully, light it carefully, and smoke it slowly. Do these things, and you will really enjoy this tobacco.

al1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
al1 (58)
Mild Extremely Mild Overwhelming Pleasant to Tolerable

The smoke is not what I would call smooth it stays sharp throughout. I find it ok but it is not a regular or an all day smoke. It is a little too "high pitched" for me. I like 2010 better or some 2000, or 2020.

I would think this could have been more tame. I will smoke some once here and there till it is gone but I doubt I would order this again.

It is a bit of a tongue shredder. I smoke a lot of mcclellands flakes and this one is mediocre. This is why the flavor got an overwhelming rating because you get a bitter tongue scald thats makes the bowl get dumped early. I have smoked a hell of a lot of va flake too and this is the tobac not me. This and rolando's own/lt heart va are very simillar in punishing the smoker.

If it somehow grows on me I'll update. Just a little too bright for me. I think it is a little ascrid in the smoking- the topping seems to be the source of the tongue bite. Smoking citrus extract as topping that makes sense really.

Honestly this is not a good one to try as a first out of this series. So far the only losers are this and the goopy 5100.

#2000, 2010, 2020, 2035, #27, 22, 24 are much better for my tastes. So it goes.

Moe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Moe (46)
Mild Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I have aged it,dried it,sipped it slow,and smoked it fast. I cannot smoke this without searing my tongue. I love 2015,PSLNF,Old Gowrie, many other Va's/vap. But this stuff is a tongue shredder.

Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

I will give this three stars for now even though my first encounter was not very memorable. This blend went rather quickly into the closet. I will update this review after the next encounter. I much preferred 2015, 2045, 2030 to 5115. My favorite McClelland is British Woods.

7/26/2005

My pouch of this blend is dry to the point of being almost brittle. I can no longer detect any flavoring or scent at all. No bite but quite sharp on the tongue as most straight Virginias seem to be. A nice and potent smoke at this point although not at all complex. Still prefer 2015 and the 22, 24, 27 Virginias although this is ready-rubbed and easier to light. Burns cleanly with minimal attention.