Rich with Latakia, spiced with the finest Oriental leaf and mellowed with Stoved Virginia, this is then aged into a deeply satisfying, harmonious blend of the world's most exotic tobaccos. This is a very full mixture, sure to satisfy the lover of traditional English blends.

Blended ByMcClelland
Manufactured ByMcClelland
Strength
Taste

2.9
Theodore Moore Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Theodore Moore (10)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

McClelland's Dark English Full is, in my opinion, McClelland's best English blend. It is smooth, sweet, never bites and tastes great. It is good for all day smoking and mixes well with other blends. Being a bulk tobacco, it is also a great bargain. Some have said that it is Frog Morton or Frog Morton OTT in the bulk but I find it sweeter than both. A great, solid English.I like to mix 30-40% of this with Black House for a real treat. I call it "Mr. President" (see my review of Black House,) Try some. You'll thank me.

rogermugs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rogermugs (14)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Full Tolerable to Strong

Don't know why anyone wants to relate this to Frog Morton. If you want Frog Morton smoke Frog Morton. This is an English more in line with Boswell's Northwoods (although in my opinion the latter is quite a bit better), or other dark English Latakia blends.

This is not an overly complex smoke. I have latakia blends I like a lot better when I want to sit and really process something. But I find this to be a nice dark (probably because of the stoved nature of the virgnias) Latakia forward blend. Lovers of latakia may find it not full enough.

Where this tobacco shines is not as your mind-blowing latakia blend, but as your go-to all-day smoke if you're a latakia smoker.

No bite for me (and I'm quite prone), a bit moist for my taste, but perfectly smokable out of the tin.

Pipe Used: MM Great Dane Spool

Age When Smoked: 1 Year

Purchased From: Gift from friend

Similar Blends: Boswell Pipes & Tobacco - Northwoods.

Peppino Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Peppino (74)

Well this is not any of the Frog family products that's for sure. It's not sweet enough (flavored dark cavendish) to meet that criteria. To me it's not a Latakia bomb either, it's there but not in huge doses. It burns clean has a good flavor on the relight, I get a taste of the Orientals and Virginia's for most of the smoke. It may be the Stoved Va. but I think it may have a small amount of Perique although the label doesn't mention it. It may be part of the exotic tobacco's the label does mention. It's a fast burning tobacco so I pack it a little tighter than usual. It burns to the bottom with ease, to a dry gray ash without any work at all. The flavor tends to fade as you get closer to the bottom, it doesn't have an ashy taste just flat. Had it maintained it's flavor I would have given it a 4 star instead of a 3 star rating. Overall it's a very good tobacco one of the best bulk's I've had and a good value, give it a try you won't be disappointed!

The good Rev. Rizzo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The good Rev. Rizzo (24)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

I tried this based on a friend's recommendation. I'm a one pipe to one particular tobacco person if it's something I'm going to keep on hand. That being stated, I started with a freshly cleaned estate pipe. A Dr. Grabow Golden Duke. I kind of liked the first half bowl so I decided to build up a cake. After two ounces I have decided to purchase more and keep the pipe designated. My take is as such....

Room note: Reminded me of incense in a catholic church. Took me back to my youngest years at Our Lady of Peace. Not the best smell, but not bad at all. It's not an aromatic so what would I expect anyhow.

Burn: It burned nice in the smaller bowl of this pipe. Yeah I could have picked a better pipe to use. But hey, so many factors play a part in enjoying tobacco I decided to grab the first clean pipe and run from there.

Texture: It's a relatively budget conscious bulk tobacco. Don't set your expectations for a fine tin type. Pick the stems and such and get on with it.

Moisture: If you bought this at your local shop as I did, your at their mercy. They don't keep it where you want. They keep it where they want. Mine happened to be a little too moist. I dried it up a bit, just a bit.

Taste: I didn't get alot of complexity. What I did get was a smooth, nice lasting taste. Since this wasn't billed to me as a power house, I didn't expect one. It delivered enough for me to be pleased. It was consistent.

Final note: Yes I'm buying it again. Try this for yourself. Give it a fair shake. Don't compare it to things it's not supposed to be. I do believe that switching tobaccos in a single pipe is not the best way to enjoy anything. You don't after all use your bowl from the mornings cereal for chicken noodle soup without washing it.

Knitpicker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Knitpicker (3)

I loved this blend. The dark, smokey note from the Latakia, punctuated by the copious sweetness from the Virginias, and mellowed by the orientals were in perfect harmony, making a pleasant English blend that I could smoke all day long (if my wife could stand the smell). If you're looking for a strong, deep, complex English, you might want to look elsewhere, but if you enjoy a lighter, sweeter blend, or are just looking for a change of pace, I don't think you can go wrong here!

Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I was sent this as a sample. I am mainly a Virginia smoker, but smoke Englishes from time to time as a change-up. When I smoke Latakia, I usually like either a whole lot, or just a touch. I am a bit more wishy-washy on medium Latakia blends, and this is one of them. I can't put it down, though. I can taste the oriental (Turkish?) and probably some stoved Virginia, and it is nice. Nothing bad I can say about it. I could puff it from time to time. Will I buy any more? Probably not. So what? Others might love it, and this is what makes our hobby so interesting! I am enjoying this bowl, as I enjoyed the 3-4 others I smoked before typing up this little review. I just can't think of any particulars: this blend doesn't move me like a pure aged Virginia. Each to his own.

tillmanj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tillmanj (73)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Strong

Appearance: an almost even mix of dark and light ribbons, though leaning to the dar a bit. A fair number of stems.

Tin Aroma: Latakia. It is almost impossible to smell anything but Latakia in the tin.

Physical Charteristics: a very loose blend. the uniformity of the cut seems to work against itself, at least in the cohesion department. Easy to pack using the 'trickle' method, but care must be taken to mix it well before packing, or the lighter colored ribbons will be much underrepresented in the smoke.

First Light: A musty flavor reminiscent of camp fires signals the amount of Latakia here. The charring light is easy, and the top layer burns nicely. The second light is just as easy, and 5110 catches easily with only the smallest puffs to urge it on.

Notes: I really only like smoking this blend in two settings; sitting by the fire during winter, with a good book, and something strong to drink, or during the fall, outside in the woods. Yes, I like smoking Latakia outside, big suprise. The woodsy taste and aroma just seem to beg for it. This is particularly good in a BIG pipe, like those Nording freehands that can be had cheap. Very easy to puff too hard and really heat this one up. A vaguely sour taste under the Latakia. not bad, just an interesting pungency. Burns evenly, requires miniml tamping.I cannot recommend this for all-day smoking, as it begins to wreck the palate completely after three or so bowls, but it does make a nice evening smoke, or a 'treat' tobacco.

Dark in color with a mixture of ribbon and chop cut. Hefty latakia scent in the bag (1 oz sample) that obliterates any Virginia or oriental aroma.

I would hesitate to call this a "full" English, although it is definitely full for a Mcclellands. It's a latakia-forward mixture with the darker Virginias (especially the stoved) to the rear and the orientals further back. Naturally sweet and with the typical smoky leathery flavor of your basic English. As I delve into the differences between English, Balkan and Scottish blend, I find English ones to be the most non-assertive flavor-wise, and this one is no exception. I prefer more spice from orientals, more sweetness from Virginias and less of a latakia presence. I just didn't find much to say about this one, although it exhibited no glaring faults. If Dunhill Standard Medium is your barometer for a good English, you may find this one slightly richer and tastier but still in that ballpark. To me this seems to be a simple English with almost no complexity, but a nice steady all-day type of affair. But again, I'm not the consummate English smoker.

albfneto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
albfneto (165)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Tolerable

This Blend is complex, harmonius, each type of tobacco may be found in the taste, But in a few minutes of smoking, it turns almost tasteless and boring, Also is a coarse ribbon, difficult to fit in the bowl and to maintain the pipe lighted. Two stars for the quality, but this blend is not for me. I prefer Many other English mixtures: Penzance, Presbyterian, Chipman Hill, Britt's Balkan, Balkan Supreme, Three Blind Moose, Balded Headed Teacher etc... Between the blends with large latakia ammount, Pirate Cake is much better.

Tripjoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tripjoker (64)
Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

As is the case with most of my experiences with this blending house, they are makers of some of the most consistently light tobaccos I have ever had the displeasure of smoking.

5110 is no exception. The description is full of promise but it is short on delivery. Don't get me wrong, these are all very good component tobaccos here. They just don't sing. For some reason McClelland just doesn't have the knack of making blends with any real strength of character. They are all very light in flavor and nicotine. The burn characteristics are usually not great either. This blend is no exception there.

In an effort to say something good about 5110, I would have to say that it smells nice in the bag. Yep, that's it. I wish I could say more. I was born and raised in KC and would love to smoke McClelland more, but just don't like their style. They get close with this one, but just need to amp it up about three or four notches, as they need to do with most of their blends, and not just the bulks either.

Another great tobacco for the light body lovers out there. Hell, if you like light body tobaccos, McClelland has you covered. Try any of them, you'll probably like most of them. Cheers!

Kashmir Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kashmir (19)
Medium None Detected Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

McClellands' Bulk Dark English Full (No. 5110) is a delightful dense old English style tobacco, composed of Virginias, Latakia and Orientals. In many ways it reminds me of E. Hoffman Company Spilman Mixture. There is a similar taste to both. Dark English Full is available in bulk at around $64/16 oz, which places it in the middle as to cost.

The cut is "rough cut" with ribbons of various diameters, interspersed with larger rough cuts of folded leaf. The overall color is on the very dark side. Some of this is attributed to the Latakia, of course, but some of it is, I imagine, due to the Stoved Virginias. I like this type of rough cut, which is similar to GLP Westminster and to Spilmans as well. It packs by the gravitation method, with a final thumb push-down, very easily, and due to its uneven cut, the various components release or explode their presence unpredictably in the bowl. That is, after charring, the first half of the bowl, one detects Latakia, then the Virginias, then the Orientals in no particular order. I like this quality since its kind of unpredictable and give the smoke some degree of excitement. The second half of the bowl smokes more smoothly, and the three tobaccos blend nicely into a uniform taste.

It smokes very easily, meaning it is a "one-match" smoke. Re- lighting is rare if ever. I have gone through the better part of a pound now, over the past month, and can say that I highly recommend this blend for English lovers. The Virginias really provide a sweet base, such that the Latakia and Orientals do not compete. Here, in Dark English, there is a nice base of stoved virginias, which lends a deep sweetness to the dense smoke. The Latakia is added with a heavy hand, so its presence is palpable in the full. This then is a blend for Latakia lovers, but who also appreciate the presence of Virginias that attenuates somewhat the presence of Latakia. This does not mean it is weak on the Latakia front. Rather, that the Virginias balance, and prevent the Latakia from taking over fully. It is there, but it is reigned in somewhat by the Virginias. The Orientals provide the spiciness reminiscent of a bazzar in Old Jerusalem, with vendors hawking their wares, in the dank alcoves with rugs hanging from the walls, as sweet mint tea is continuously poured to the customers. Really exotic in scope.

Similar blends to McClellands Dark English Full include, as mentioned, Spilmans, but also Gawith Hoggarth & Co. Balkan Mixture Bulk, Balkan Sasieni and Cornell & Diehl Star of the East Bulk. If you like any of these blends, I think you will appreciate McClellands Dark English Full. Highly recommended.

Coltrane Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Coltrane (26)
Medium Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I came across this stuff in my favorite smokeshop in san Francisco. I was looking for some English blends to try and my twin brother pointed this out to me. It has a very FULL aroma through the pouch which peaked my interests. Opening the pouch it had a very smokey rich aroma to it which had me sold. I purchased the 2oz pouch and another 2oz of English Oriental Supreme for my twin brother.

This has a very nice flavor to it; a bit on the mild side, not as complex and full as Mac Baren vintage Syrian. It has a sweet smokey note to it that has a cleam finish to my palate and has a pretty nice aroma. Many people state how women don't like the smell but I have had no complaint yet(give it time right fellas;LOL!) It packs well, lights well; weather dried out or fresh from the pouch and has a cool dry smoke. Some have complained about tongue bite but I have never had that. It's a refreshing change from the aeromatics my twin brother enjoys and has a very, VERY faint trace of sweet mint; it might just be my palate getting confused.

I would recommend this for seasoned and even new smokers looking for a medium English blend.

bentontool Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bentontool (6)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

Very good blend. Slightly too sweet initially. Enough Latakia but predominately VA, especially towards the middle and bottom of bowl. You can taste the oriental influence. Burns well once dried out, arrived a bit on the moist side. I could smoke this all day. Will buy more to cellar.

Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe (18)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I really like this stuff, Its become my regular daily smoke in a Peterson Killarney, Decent flavors, Lotsa smoke, no bites, Highly recommended

billybob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
billybob (1)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Full Pleasant

Have always enjoyed Latakia with Virginia mixed in and have tryed several blends of this type, however this blend is by far the best I have tasted so far and I can smoke it all day without toung bite because it is not too harsh, which can be a problem with dark English tobaccos. I like to switch over to Aitadis's Flying Dutchman blend while I'm smoking Dark English. I am very, very satisfied with Pipesandcigars.com service, and recommend them.

quantumboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
quantumboy (119)

I have found my summertime English smoke! This blend is mellow, flavorful, absolutely refuses to bite, lights and burns easily, and just tastes great. It's very mild, so don't reach for this when you want a big in your face smoke. This one is a hot weather, light English that you could enjoy all day long. I'm going to stash a few pounds of this away for sure!

mrmiloboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mrmiloboy (5)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I have tried other Enlish blends from other companies and have recently tried this one again. Wow! Being a cigar smoker and recently switching back to pipes, (thanks S-CHIP)I was worried about tongue bite. I find it to have a very "round" flavor with absolutely no bite. This is a very big plus for me. It allows you to taste the tobacco blend without any interference. Although is seems to have more moisture content than other tobacco blend from other companies it still does not gurgle and smoke wet. It will definately be a "go-to" smoke for me. The more McClelland blends I try the more impressed I am with this company.

TGA49 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TGA49 (5)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

Started off as most pipe smokers smoking aromatics exclusively. I soon found out that although they had flavor they also had a tendency to bite badly. Don't know if this is due to the casing or blend. After many episodes of tongue bite I wanted to try plain tobacco and ventured into English. I got an eye opener b/c if you are not careful you find most English/Balkans very, very, strong which is just as bad as tongue bite. I have bought and smoked Penzance, Davidoff Royalty, Dan's Independence, Ashton's Consumate Gentleman & Artisans's Blend, Stokkebye's Proper English, Peterson's Sherlock Holmes, Frog Morton series all 3 (very good), Lane's and Altadis (all very bad), and Gawith's Squadron,Skiff,and Dunhill's EMP(no longer available) . I have found that McClelland's 5110 to be for price and smoking the best! My rotation; 5110, Penzance, 2045 and until I finish them Aston's Consumate Gentleman. Try 5110 and you'll fine it to be very, very simular to Frog Morton and you can save money by buying it in bulk. Highly recommended

howie Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
howie (46)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Description: The tobacco is primarily black and very dark brown, with a few ribbons of dark brown in the mix. The cut is on the large side, sort of a wild cut, with the lighter ribbons intermixed. When first received, this was extremely moist, and a small sample took the better part of three days sitting out and spread across a flat surface to get to a more typical moisture level, but was still sticky to the touch and clumped together when pinched.

Smoking this moist and as arrived, it was very sweet in a non-tobacco way. I don?t know how else to describe this other than to say that the sweetness seems to be separate from the body of the smoke itself. It smoked wet, hot and uncomfortable in the mouth. Despite a high latakia content from the description, there is little body to the smoke and was the proverbial ?hot wet air? smoke.

After leaving it to dry, a very nice smoky aroma emerged that was quite pleasant in a hickory barbeque sort of way. This lights much easier when drier, but continues to be overly hot for my palate and/or technique. The flavor itself was much more complex than when smoked wet. There were moments of flavor that poked through the wall of discomfort reminded me of Frog Morton, which I have not smoked in about a year. I was unable to complete the bowl.

I cannot get past the heat, bite and lack of body to enjoy this particular blend and condemn it to a mason jar for a sentence of not less than one year to hopefully mend its ways. In fairness, I should point out that I have a somewhat tender mouth. While I feel that I have not done justice to this tobacco in providing a review on just limited input, I am unable to bring myself to further torture my tongue to obtain further insights into this particular blend.

October 2002

Bowser Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bowser (13)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

Feeling Latakia-deprived, I recently went to a local brick-and-mortar tobacco shop in search of a Latakia blend. My Mixture 965, it seemed at the time, was cut a little too coarse to fit in the cobs I favor these days, so 5110 Dark English: Full it was.

The prolific Pipestud, in reviewing this blend, described the Latakia as "coarse." I know not if that was a reference to its physical properties or smoking qualities, but it is an accurate description of the former. My bag contained at least one stem that was a full inch long. It's also sickeningly moist straight out of the bag, and after almost four days' worth of drying time (both by pressing in layers of paper towels and air-drying), it still has more moisture content than I care for. It may well require some time in the oven to cook off any remaining excess moisture.

Sure, there are some pieces of Virginia and Oriental in this stuff. I'm pretty sure there are, anyway. When smoked, it's a very one-dimensional blend; all I taste is Latakia. It's also one of the hottest Latakia blends I've smoked, if not the hottest, and I have to puff like the Cannonball Express to keep it lit. Smokers who like a tobacco with a high nicotine content will want to look elsewhere; I found myself drawing the smoke deep into my lungs in attempt to extract any nicotine from it at all. The room note is just a guess, but my neighbors don't complain about the smell...one day, I hope to find a blend whose room note will elicit neighborly complaints.

If you have to have some Latakia about two or three hours (or longer) ago, and this is the only blend available on very short notice, give it a whirl. It might also be good to add in small amounts to liven up another blend. Otherwise, there are better Latakia blends out there.

Update, 6 October 2012: My sample is quite dry now. However, unless it's attributable to smoking outside in the wind, I have no explanation for its increased reluctance to stay lit. I also discovered an additional three large stems, which I consider absolutely unacceptable. This blend is still okay if you need to immediately quell a craving for Latakia, and it's the only such blend available, but think twice about it even then. Otherwise, I can no longer in good conscience recommend it. I've downgraded my rating to one star, and though I'll finish it, I won't be buying any more.

unixhelp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
unixhelp (7)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

A little bite to it. Does not resemble any Frog Morten imho.

dnietosi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dnietosi (11)

First English blend for me. I liked it. However, there is tons of crap mixed with tobacco: Hard packing, hard to keep lighted. After smoking other English blends I figure there is nothing special to it.

Knightsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Knightsmoker (60)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This was not what I was expecting by the name. It is a dark blend to be sure but I had anticipated a full bodied smoke. This is not. It is Medium bodied with a mild to medium strength. It could be smoked all day if one is inclined. However, the cut is varied: Ribbon, chucked, some very fine pieces too. There is a humectant added keeping it way to moist. Even after an hour drying it remained too moist. Although the description does not indicate it there is definitely a casing. I am a purist and try to avoid casings. Toppings (they are different from casings after all) are not such a big deal but casings affect the flavor of the smoke and I want to taste tobacco only in a latakia blend. Personally, for the price paid, I would not buy this again.

bayro Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bayro (18)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

Resembles FMOT, but it is milder and much faceless. A big disappointment and pure disaster!

Feetup Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Feetup (17)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Very nice tobacco with healthy overlays of latakia. burns well, no bite though little boring after a time. Good for a rotation.

feedsasquatch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
feedsasquatch (19)
Mild Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

I found Dark English Full to be neither "Dark" nor "Full." As far as English blends go, it's on the mild side. The latakia however, well, it's just harsh and unrefined (and I like latakia).

The va's in 5110 have a bit of sweetness to them, but the rest of the blends sweetness may come from some kind of casing. I found the Virginia's to be way to hot to be enjoyable. What latakia there is, and there isn't a ton, was just unrefined and harsh. The orientals are present, but they aren't the highest quality, and they take a back role as well.

As far as packing goes, well, that can be a challenge. The "ribbon" comes in a variety of shapes, including sticks, thorns, needles and chunks. This can make for a very frustrating lighting experience and smoke half-way down the bowl. Oh, and it's wet. So I had to let it dry for at least an hour before lighting, otherwise it wouldn't stay lit...

So why did I give it a 2 and not a 1? Well, because if you take the time to sort through all those sticks and thistles, and pack your pipe right, and smoke really really slow, you get an OK smoke. It's not something I want to smoke regularly, but I'll finish my 2 oz sample rather than throw it away (I don't think I'll finish my 1.5 oz sample of Altadis Fox & Hound though...).

luvinthepipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
luvinthepipe (18)
Mild to Medium None Detected Full Pleasant

This tobacco smells great and looks good and dark with some light ribbons in there. Taste is not offensive and if you just want to puff an write...well... this performs admirably. Nice taste, nice room note, nice smell in the jar...this tobacco has lots going for it. The problem is, when you start to move your fingers through the tobacco you feel lots of hard and spiky things. It almost feels like shards of wood are in there along with hard but spongy bits. When packing the bowl of my pipe I found myself pouring a lot into the palm of my hand then spend a few minutes picking out all the wood. Obviously the tobacco here is the leftovers from some great tobaccos. What we get from this is the stems from the leaf and the big veins mixed in. Makes sense that the makers don't tin this stuff. I won't buy any more. Once I have a bowl packed it stays lit and smells and tastes good. Lacking a bit of complexity but very nice as a background while I write. Problem is that my pipe smoking is one of my special pleasuresthat does not involve another person (along with a good smokey islay scotch) . Why should I waste my money on leftover tobacco? Tobaccos that taste like this and smell like this MUST come in nice tins and a good presentation. I don't mind picking pine needles out of my chantrelle mushrooms but leave them out of my smoking tobacco.

Moe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Moe (45)
Mild Medium to Strong Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

5110 is definatly similar to Frog On the Town, I havent had the pleasure of trying regular Frog Morton yet, But I did like FMOTT. and like this blend as well.

I find it a bit heavier in the Latakia department (a good thing in my book), and just a tadpole less sweet than the FMOTT.

I picked up a pound of this recently from MarsCigars and it arrived a bit more moist than I like, so I spread a large bowl-full on a piece of printer paper and let it dry for an hour, the results were great.

arpie55 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
arpie55 (30)

this has got to be the blend that i go to more frequently than any other. it's color is dark and the pouch aroma is wonderful. i find this blend to have just the right balance between the sweetness of the virginias and the spiciness of the orientals. since it is not cased the room note will not solicit very many compliments, but i have never had anyone tell me that it stinks either. my favorite time to smoke is early morning and boy does this go well with a good cup of coffee. not too complex but a little variation as it goes through the bowl, requires maybe a little more than normal by way of pipe cleaners passed during the course, very good for all day.

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (135)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I think I have found my new all day smoke. After several pipes, I find this to be an extremely fulfilling smoke overall. It smokes down to a nice fine ash at the bottom of the pipe. It seems to be at the right moisture level for me. A woodsy type of smoke with not even a hint of tongue bite. I don't smell the usual McC catsup smell in this. It does remind me of Frog Morton, which to me is a very good thing. I most definitely will be procuring more of this fine weed.

Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

Again one of my McClelland favorite bulk tobaccos, I find this blend smoke better with my grp 5 Dunhill briar Canadian.

Sweet, smooth, soft, creamy with some coffee/chocolate background, mild in nicotine, well balanced Lat/Va/Oriental.

I don?t think this is a natural tobacco blend, there is some topping and there is some casing, but after all I really don?t care as long as it is a good smoke, and I find this really good smoke, easy to pack and light, I will get 1 pound for aging. Highly recommended

blowing smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
blowing smoke (6)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is good! It needs some drying out, but I have found most McClelland tobaccos do. It also does not have the usual McClelland odor. Odd. Nice rich flavor, I don't agree with the tin description. It is much better than Frog Morton. Throw the Frog Morton to the frogs! Try mixing this with some other stuff too. I used 3 parts 5110, 1 part Red Rapparee and 1 part Royal Yacht. I know it sounds unusual but it was good! One thing I forgot to mention... this is better in a large pipe. I smoke it in a large freehand that I bought in 1992. I'm not sure of the maker. I just know it is Italian, beautiful and extremely light for it's size. It has smoked great for all these years! I am bragging, but you should see this thing! You can see it.. NOT smoke it!!!

al1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
al1 (58)

I used to love this smoke. It is a very tasty rich blend, good for afternoon or evening smoking. Has a definite latakia smell and taste but some good va and orientals are in there also. It is very mildly flavored or topped to my taste. Although it is not too complex a flavor it is very rich and satisfying. The taste reminds me of creamed coffee and caramel at times. Pouch aroma of leather and english toffee. Sweet, but not too much.

This tobacco burns and packs especially well. Smokes cool with much thick smoke. Tastes good all the way down the bowl. Very few relights also. So smooth I never have tongue bite issues.--- Ehh, I was wrong it steams too much for me.

If you like medium english blends you should like this.

Update: I still reccomend this to bulk only smokers but try Bombay Extra in the tins if you want a better version of this and don't need it in huge quanties.

Update: Since my great revelation about drying out my tobacco's which kept me smoking cool and dry I have found this one to be cased or contian more humectant than I find acceptable. I am sad to lower my rating to two stars but I find much more joy in Mcclellands 2000 series of tobacco's

Still good for frog morton fans. I just haved moved on to what I enjoy more.

rattler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rattler (9)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

This is good stuff at a good price. Consider this Frog Morton bulk tobacco. I like it just fine the way it is, however find it even better if I add some perique to it and make it into bulk Frog Morton on the Bayou!

This is truly a great tobacco, and I don't see myself being without any any time soon.

Strong Mild Full Tolerable to Strong

I like this blend...nice balance among the latakia, VAs and the Orientals in here....but...I had to add a little extra Latakia and some perique to improve on the aroma and take away slightly from the VAs and the ketchup flavor.

porshcigar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
porshcigar (27)

This is another great blend from McClelland. I recently purchased a pound from smokingpipes.com, and I haven't had a day without it since I got my order. I like Latakia, and this blend has it. I have not had any problem with tongue bite and I can smoke it all day long and in every pipe I have. If you like to smoke English blends with a good amount of Latakia, I recommend trying this one, although it can be tough to find. I wish there were tins available, but you have to buy it in bulk. It is worth the trouble to find it.

berger_ar_fur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
berger_ar_fur (4)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Unnoticeable

not so English as it is stated , I find it too smooth ; quite dull ,I think it disapointing for Latakia's lovers ... I really find it insipid

Big bad Jon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big bad Jon (232)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

This is a great tobacco blend, if you let it age and dry out a bit. The VA's become a bit sweet and the Cavendish take on a a somewhat nutty flavor. It is a bit gooey at the bottom of the pipe but it is easily overlooked. If you add a bit of perique to the mixture it is very similar to FMOTB, kinda cool. It is a somewhat complex mixture but it is fairly mild in the flavoring which lends it self to an all day smoke.

jlinge Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jlinge (17)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a nice basic English mixture that may require minor drying out and aging. Mostly smoky Latakia in character, aging will supress some of the sweetness of the Virginia although I wonder if there is a hint of some additional topping in this blend. I don't find the spice that other reviewers have noted. There isn't much bite which allows all day use.

maynard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
maynard (18)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

Weak from the start,A year in the jar has improved 5110 a great deal, what a difference a year makes.

constantsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
constantsmoker (62)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

This blend should satisfy pipers who like their Latakia a little on the heavy side accompanied by fragrant/flavorful Orientals and a sturdy Virginia base. While Blend #5110 is not a tobacco that I enjoy, I recognize its high quality and compliment McClellend on its choices of tobaccos. A fine blend suitable for the neophyte pipe smoker.

obxemt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
obxemt (26)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

Purchased as McCranie's "St. Alban's Best",tyhis is without a doubt my favorite all-around blend. I am nearly addicted to the pouch smell, and can hardly walk by without picking it up. It has an enticing dark and smokey aroma in the pouch that strongly appeals to me.

Since the strength of taste is medium and nicotine is mild, this is a good all-day smoke, though at night I find it to be missing a certain I-don't-know-what, perhaps a little more latakia would make me happier.

There is little aftertaste (I think a plus) and it falls in the realm of "modern English" which is definitely not a bad thing. There is a slight but persistant creaminess or smoothness to this blend that lasts through the bowl, and any sweetness is more in aroma than taste and is ever-so-fleeting. This is no aromatic, nor is it a traditional English...this is a FANTASTIC blend that I think many people would enjoy if they gave it a chance; expecially a smoker who wants to branch out from aromatics only. I suppose I would label this a mild English...again, my favorite!

I only smoke outside, though my wife has commented on the aroma of this; once favorably, once not so...it is smokey and would probably be recognized as different from a sickly-sweet aromatic by even an unfamiliar nose, but I find the "room note" (back porch note?") to be just as inticing (if not intoxicating!) as the pouch smell. I've erred on the side of caution by indicating "tolerable to strong" in that category.

If a relatively mild, English variant, barely aromatic, smokey, rich satisfying smoke sounds appealing to you, by all means, give this a try.

Merple Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Merple (15)

Rich tobacco's with a full english flavour and style. Aroma is really nice with the latakia being quite forceful to the nose but not overpowering.

Lights well and smokes in a relaxing evening style way. Calming and enjoyable - to be smoked at a quiet time - just thoughts and a pipe to while away some quality time.

Never bites and burns clean to a white ashy finish always giving full satisfaction.

A winner and well recommened to all fans of a full english.

Medium Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

08/06/2004: This is one fine English. It is full flavored though and requires some self discipline for proper enjoyment. It can get a bit salty if smoked too fast. One of the best bulk English tobaccos on the market. Probably another stinker for the non-smokers out there!

11/17/2006 Update: No longer in my rotation. A good transition toward more complex pipe tobaccos. If you like the Frog Morton series, give this a try. Only sold in bulk.

Dug Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dug (18)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Referred to by some as "bulk Frog Morton," I tried some 5110 today after having a bowl of FM yesterday. These McClelland blends are relatively similar, and 5110 is a quality bulk mild English (which I'm tempted to buy up, jar, and age for a while). While the two blends are similar, to my palate the 5110 smoked discernably sweeter (maybe a bit o' topping?) and a bit moister than the Frog Morton. Not identical, but not bad, particularly for the price.

Maimonides Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Maimonides (70)
Mild Very Mild Medium Pleasant

For those wishing to try English-this is a great start. Its mild, not overwhelming, and typical of the sort. Although not my favorite, It is quality.

Mild to Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

This is a fine, easy going American-style English blend, meaning mostly conditioned VAs. The flavor is predominately Latakia and VA (with a Juniper and Cedar incense) this has a very light touch of Orientals adding some spice and filling in around the edges. I find this similar to its cousin, 5125 Coyote Classic. My wife doesn't find this too objectionable as long as we're outside. 7 out of 10 Stars.

Fatty Bolger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fatty Bolger (8)

I've only been back to the pipe a few weeks and am still looking for my regular rotation of tobaccos. I can safely say that McClelland's bulk #5110 has filled a slot. Previous to coming back to pipe smoking I steered clear of heavy Latakia blends so I have been tremendously surprised by my new-found hunger for that species of weed. Upon opening the package I was overwhelmed by the intense smoky aroma. This blend is predominantly dark in color with the Latakia and stoved Virginias, with a pleasant amount of red and gold from the (my guess) Orientals or regular Virginias mixed in. The smoke is mild, with a pleasant sweet note. My only complaint (not really) is that the flavor is very mild, hence the reason I am going to try Penzance as soon as possible. It packs, lights and stays lit very well for me, and despite my tendency to puff I have not had a bit-tongue from it yet. I have not smoked regular FM, but have a tin of FM Across the Pond, and this is a much better tobacco to my taste. As mentioned I also have not yet tried Penzance, so I may not have found true Nirvana, but right now this inexpensive bulk blend is my go-to English.

mel51us Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mel51us (47)

06142006 I received 2 oz of this with an order of tobacco from Smokingpipes.com. The description above stated that this is very similar to Frog Morton, and one reviewer said it resembles FMOTT. If this is what those tinned tobaccos are like, then I think McClelland has found a way to make pipesters very happy. A tobacco as good as this at bulk prices? Thank You, McClelland. I found #5110 to be a very tasty offering. I let it air about 2 hours after opening the baggie, packed it in one of my favorite pipes, and fired up. A charring light, a tamp and another match and we were off to tobacco nirvana. #5110 is a very smooth, cool burning blend. I think I even saw my pipe smile once while I was smoking this delicious blend. I would recommend #5110 to any pipe smoker.

08222006 IMHO, this gets better every time I smoke it. After searching the internet and finding prices of $27.00 and up, I found a local B&M that sells it for just over $22.00. Needless to say, this will be taking top honors in my rotation and a big space in my tobacco cellar. Great stuff.

Mitland Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mitland (7)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Tolerable to Strong

Mostly black with some dark brown from the stoved VA and random blond flecks of Turkish. Tastes very smooth and smokey with some hints of fig, licorice and an occasional note of mouthwatering spice from the Turkish. Not particularly complex, just smooth and relaxing. This is a fine end of the day smoke for sitting in a comfy chair and not paying attention to anything in particular, though a copy of the Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes would come in handy. Don't know that this is exactlty FMOTT in bulk. It's simple and tastey none the less.

dualkarnain Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dualkarnain (74)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

There's a fair dose of Latakia and stoved tobaccos here and they are harmonious in fostering a smooth, delicious taste.

There's not a lot of intensity in this blend but there is character. It's a great morning or noon-time smoke when flavor is wanted but tobacco-nirvana is not on the menu (as the office girls wouldn't appreciate the dumbstruck smile).

Images evoked involve reading a relatively unknnown science fiction book by a fairly famous science fiction author- I am provided some enthusiastic enjoyment but it isn't the type that is world-class nor famous.

smoker390 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smoker390 (36)

Yes, It's that good. Hard to believe considering it's a medium strength Latakia. An oxymoronic smooth bite.

jackal Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jackal (11)
Very Strong Very Strong Extra Full Pleasant

When I hear the term " FULL ENGLISH", this is the tobacco that comes to my mind. This is not a smoke for new smokers. It is also not for smoking around women and children, they don't like the aroma. If you love the complexity of an English blend and the smokey, salty taste of Latakia and the nuances of best leaf Virginia and Orientals , then this is for you. I have smoked for over 40 years an this is what I smoke when I relax in the evening.

D'Jullius Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
D'Jullius (19)
Mild Very Mild Mild Tolerable

This is a fine, very MILD English. For those who smoke a lot of this type may be underwhelmed. Its a grand way to introduce yourself, become accustomed to, or smoke an English all day.

Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant

A good all-day English blend, well balanced though a little latakia dominated in the beginning. Going on the other components come into the flavour, especially the orientals which add deepness and complexity, while the Virginias support with a subtle sweetness. The appearance is mostly dark, with some pale brown/orange flashes, while the cut is a rough ribbon. The packing and lighting are easy, and the burning is slow and even, no bite and moist if not rushed. As the other McClelland bulks, a fine value for its price.

EAL Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
EAL (36)

When I have a taste for Latakia, this is my go-to blend. There is nothing extraordinary about this Englisy blend except the price. I would consider this a benchmark English blend.

Satc001 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Satc001 (64)

This is a nice bulk offering for those who like the hybrid english tobaccos like Frog Morton. To me, it is worth the extra money to get a tin of the Frog Morton series, but to the FM junky, this is a nice affordable option. I highly recommend this to those looking to try an English blend, or to those who like a lighter change of pace to their normal Latakia-heavy diets.

smokey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokey (120)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

"very similar to frog morton". that's how mcclelland describes this blend, and i think that's a pretty accurate description. not a bad way to be compared, as i like frog morton very much, as do a lot of other smokers. latakia and oriental tobaccos are the main characters here, with a small supporting role from the virginias. they are not noticed as much as in something like vegassmokes babylonia (another great blend). good light and burn, better than you might expect from the inherent moisture content. 5110, like most mcclelland blends, has a lot of moisture in the pouch. on the tobacco strength scale, this one is medium to me, but it may be strong to a lot of others. i rate it two notches below C&D pirate kake and billy budd, one notch below old ironsides. for best flavor, put it away for 3 months or so, to allow the flavors to mingle. i really like the fact that i can buy this in bulk, and save money compared to those 50 gram tins. mcclelland deserves kudos for putting out some of the most reasonably priced quality bulk blends on the market. one final endearing characteristic is that this is a blend that seems to smoke well in all my pipes. three stars for 5110.

The Keeper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Keeper (112)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

I managed to try a bit of this that had aged for...about... 2 years at best estimate. I find it - as stated - very similar to Frog Morton however I think it is actually superior. It has a bit more strength, seasoning and body. It also however has a bit stronger topping flavor. Not so refined as the tinned Frogs, but I consider this a good thing. And if you were to smoke a lot of this sort of tobacco, the price can't be beaten.

If you like mostly latakia blends with a considerable chocolate/vanilla aroma and taste additive - this one may be for you.

Tiger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tiger (53)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

Will offer only that "Howie"s" review a few notches above does a great job of expressing my observations as well as his. Too much bother and annoyance for too little enjoyment, and way too many much better smokes out there. To me, #5110 is "so-so" at very best so I can give it a single star for trying.

Tiger

Thatcher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Thatcher (58)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Unnoticeable

This is the bulk version of Frog Morton, so I won?t repeat my Frog Morton review. I find the tinned version to be a little smoother, maybe just because it had enjoyed better conditions for aging. 5110 is worth a try as a good, economical alternative to Frog Morton. Another good alternative to the Frog is Benjamin Hartwell?s Chesdin mixture, which is closer to the tinned Frog in taste but generally a little less expensive (though more expensive than 5110).

chaplikc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chaplikc (135)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

This is good, if you like frog morton you will like this. I like frog morton and I like this, I dont smoke it all of the time but do enjoy it. Not much else to say about this that all of the other reviewers have not already mentioned.

Big Guy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Guy (12)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Frog Morton's budget minded cousin Toad. Great stuff that burns well, lets you know there is latakia in it, has a slight aromatic smell that is quite acceptable by many women and best of all, I can smoke it all day.

Nice dark tobacco with that McClelland hint of ketchup. Everybody should at least try this one. Great price too.

Zone Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zone Smoke (199)
Mild None Detected Medium Tolerable

I use this as a blending component for my own blend of tobacco and highly recommend it for that purpose.

Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Mild Tolerable to Strong

What's that you say? You love Latikia's? This is your tobacco. It looks like Latikia, it smells like Latikia, it smokes like Latikia.

It packs nicely although it's a little hard to keep lit when very fresh. I recommend a bit of age.

If you like a full english tobacco, this may be for you. I smoke it regularly and enjoy it immensely! I don't think it's an everyday smoke, but I do keep coming back to it as a break from my beloved Virginia/Perique blends.

Try it, you'll probably like it . . .

SFC/E7 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SFC/E7 (93)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Being disabled I do not get out of the house much, but Saturday for some reason I was awake and asked my wife if she would drive to a couple of tobacco shops. The one I use the most asked me to try McClelland 5110 knowing I'm not a big fan Latakia and after I finished thaat bowl I'm still not. I know there are a lot of smokers who do enjoy the Latakia, but to me it was smoking ashes from an old burt log. It took me a couple of Alcohol and Salt cleanings and then useing a Pipe Sweetener to get the taste out of my pipe.

Adguru Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Adguru (20)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I had settled in on Frog Morton On the Town as my favorite. I heard that Old Dog by Ashton was close to it and I also heard that 5110 was a bulk alternative. So I tried them both and to my pleasent surprize 5110 is my hands down favorite. Old Dog has much less Latikia than either FMOTT or 5110 and for my inexperienced palette, its like a choclate shake with less choclate, why bother. But, 5110 is fine. Wish I could do a better job of telling you about the subtile overtones, but I am just too primative a smoker for that. For me it more like, "umm Latikia, umm good."

Update: Weeks later, tasted many similar offerings, Perfection, Dunhill's EMP, and finishing off my Tin of Ashton's Old Dog. 5110 is still my hands down favorite. I have come to appreciate Old Dog much more, but I still prefer 5110.

omegapd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
omegapd (81)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild Tolerable

I just cracked open a mason jar of this stuff I've had ageing since early 2000. It really hasn't changed much since I put it up. It's still very wet and has an odd aroma. To me, this seems like a good portion of latakia that has been "cavendished" to hell and back. I'm not a fan of the English-Aromatic crossovers, so this doesn't fit my style much. It burns slow and needs frequent re-lights. It also seems the tobacco quality is not up to par with the other McClelland bulk blends. For the fans of Frog Morton (of which I am not) splurge a little more and just buy tins of it. With the casings in this blend, ageing doesn't help much.

Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

The Virginia was hot. The Latakia was coarse. The other Orientals were not top-shelf variety either. I suppose I've just given all the reasons why McClelland's didn't bother to put this stuff in tins.

Inquisitor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Inquisitor (155)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

This is a great smoke, for several reasons: 1. It is a Latakia blend that my wife likes (room aroma and breath); 2. It is a beautiful crossover blend (English & Aromatic) with lots of flavor. 3. It costs about $20 a pound. 4. It is great upon arrival, and improves with age. If you like Frog Morton, you will like this. While some find the Latakia overpowering, I think the sweetness and the chocolatey/vanilla topping make it very tolerable. And I don't love Latakia.

Update note: Upon the release of Frog Morton on the Bayou (which I liked even better than the original FM), I added 7% Perique to 5110. Delicious! I recommend this to everyone.

BriarBear Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarBear (2)
Mild to Medium Strong Full Tolerable to Strong

A full-strength Latakia blend with a hint of Va. sweetness. Its appearance is mostly the dark Latakia with dashes of lighter leaf. Packs easily as it comes fresh from the blender. Lights without any effort and tamps easily for the second light then only a couple more lights to finish the bowl.

The Latakia easily predominates but the Va. does have part to play. The flavor is that of freshly cured leather with generous amount of smoke that is reminiscant of a wood fire. This taste remains consistent throughout the entire bowl. It is a very cool smoke that cannot be prodded into biting.

Burns to a fine ash leaving the bowl dry and clean. Overall, a very cool and earthy experience that is amiable and trouble-free.

Skilling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skilling (80)

When I first encountered 5110 DEF, it looked like a cavendish until I opened the bag and witnessed the undeniable aroma of latakia.

Initial light past the top 1/3rd, the latakia was definitly dominate. From this point I noticed a sweetness. I assumed there was a sprinkling of VA present. Around midpoint I also caught a hint of roasted chocolate; faint and nice. By near bottom, the sweetness was long gone and the above roasted hint had subsided.

I have never smoked Frog Morton to compare 5110 to it.

I smoke mostly VAs but could smoke 5110 for the change of pace.

sinatra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sinatra (8)

I just got a sample of this recently. I have always wanted to try this (and FM). Believe it or not, cost is an issue here in Saskatchewan. This stuff is only sold by the pound and would cost about $125!!!

As for the tobacco, it is very good. A nice, light English with an Aromatic background. The sweetness is difficult to describe. I guess it would be 'softly' sweet. That is to say, sweet like a sugar cookie, not like fudge!? (Still with me?)

The tobacco is wet, a little drying time might be in order. It is mostly dark, and does look like a cavendish, at first blush. But open the bag, and there's no mistaking this is English. The latakia is not overwhelming, but is definitely present. Even being moist, it takes and holds a light well.

The first third of the bowl are definitely a good combo of woodsy and sweet. By the middle, there is more of the virginia sweetness. By the end, the smoke had changed very little. Still very enjoyable.

I've only smoked a pipe for a year (although I've been a cigar smoker for 15). Maybe I won't enjoy this a few years from now, it is fairly one-dimensional. That's not offered as a criticism. As long as that one dimension is tasty, why sweat it? Just sit back and enjoy it for what it is. I did!

lustra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lustra (170)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

5110 is a dark coarsely-cut ribbon with a small amount of lighter tobacco mixed in. In the bag, it has a somewhat sour smell. Lit, it tastes of Latakia with a certain sour undertone. It comes too wet for my tastes and takes a fair number of lights to get going well. The cut is also just average--I found a fair number of stems in my sample and there seems to be a lot of tobacco dust as well. Once lit, this tobacco smokes nice and cool, as a Latakia blend can, although from time to time the Virginias do rear their heads and bite a little. Nothing too drastic, though. This isn't a bad tobacco at all, but there are so many better ones out there that I doubt I'll be smoking it again.