Rich with latakia, spiced with the finest Oriental leaf and mellowed with stoved Virginia, this is then aged into a deeply satisfying, harmonious blend of the world's most exotic tobaccos. This is a very full mixture, sure to satisfy the lover of traditional English blends.

Blended ByMcClelland Tobacco Company
Manufactured ByMcClelland Tobacco Company
Strength
Taste

3.1
Theodore Moore Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Theodore Moore (14)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

McClelland's Dark English Full is, in my opinion, McClelland's best English blend. It is smooth, sweet, never bites and tastes great. It is good for all day smoking and mixes well with other blends. Being a bulk tobacco, it is also a great bargain. Some have said that it is Frog Morton or Frog Morton OTT in the bulk but I find it sweeter than both. A great, solid English. I like to mix 30-40% of this with Black House for a real treat. I call it "Mr. President" (see my review of Black House,) Try some. You'll thank me.

ADDITIONAL MIXING NOTE: While it is beyond the scope of this site to devote a section to "Personal Concoctions" I must include a little recipe here which is extraordinary! 40% - 5110, for its sweet, slow burning English base, then add 20% - 3 Oaks Syrian for its unique well crafted Latakia, then add 20% - Black House for its Balkan/black cavendish magic, & top off w/ 20% - Margate for an exquisite finish. The result is FANTASTIC! I call it "HAIL TO THE CHIEF"

Dark in color with a mixture of ribbon and chop cut. Hefty latakia scent in the bag (1 oz sample) that obliterates any Virginia or oriental aroma.

I would hesitate to call this a "full" English, although it is definitely full for a Mcclellands. It's a latakia-forward mixture with the darker Virginias (especially the stoved) to the rear and the orientals further back. Naturally sweet and with the typical smoky leathery flavor of your basic English. As I delve into the differences between English, Balkan and Scottish blend, I find English ones to be the most non-assertive flavor-wise, and this one is no exception. I prefer more spice from orientals, more sweetness from Virginias and less of a latakia presence. I just didn't find much to say about this one, although it exhibited no glaring faults. If Dunhill Standard Medium is your barometer for a good English, you may find this one slightly richer and tastier but still in that ballpark. To me this seems to be a simple English with almost no complexity, but a nice steady all-day type of affair. But again, I'm not the consummate English smoker.

The good Rev. Rizzo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The good Rev. Rizzo (36)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

I tried this based on a friend's recommendation. I'm a one pipe to one particular tobacco person if it's something I'm going to keep on hand. That being stated, I started with a freshly cleaned estate pipe. A Dr. Grabow Golden Duke. I kind of liked the first half bowl so I decided to build up a cake. After two ounces I have decided to purchase more and keep the pipe designated. My take is as such....

Room note: Reminded me of incense in a catholic church. Took me back to my youngest years at Our Lady of Peace. Not the best smell, but not bad at all. It's not an aromatic so what would I expect anyhow.

Burn: It burned nice in the smaller bowl of this pipe. Yeah I could have picked a better pipe to use. But hey, so many factors play a part in enjoying tobacco I decided to grab the first clean pipe and run from there.

Texture: It's a relatively budget conscious bulk tobacco. Don't set your expectations for a fine tin type. Pick the stems and such and get on with it.

Moisture: If you bought this at your local shop as I did, your at their mercy. They don't keep it where you want. They keep it where they want. Mine happened to be a little too moist. I dried it up a bit, just a bit.

Taste: I didn't get alot of complexity. What I did get was a smooth, nice lasting taste. Since this wasn't billed to me as a power house, I didn't expect one. It delivered enough for me to be pleased. It was consistent.

Final note: Yes I'm buying it again. Try this for yourself. Give it a fair shake. Don't compare it to things it's not supposed to be. I do believe that switching tobaccos in a single pipe is not the best way to enjoy anything. You don't after all use your bowl from the mornings cereal for chicken noodle soup without washing it.

Kashmir Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kashmir (20)
Medium None Detected Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

McClellands' Bulk Dark English Full (No. 5110) is a delightful dense old English style tobacco, composed of Virginias, Latakia and Orientals. In many ways it reminds me of E. Hoffman Company Spilman Mixture. There is a similar taste to both. Dark English Full is available in bulk at around $64/16 oz, which places it in the middle as to cost.

The cut is "rough cut" with ribbons of various diameters, interspersed with larger rough cuts of folded leaf. The overall color is on the very dark side. Some of this is attributed to the Latakia, of course, but some of it is, I imagine, due to the Stoved Virginias. I like this type of rough cut, which is similar to GLP Westminster and to Spilmans as well. It packs by the gravitation method, with a final thumb push-down, very easily, and due to its uneven cut, the various components release or explode their presence unpredictably in the bowl. That is, after charring, the first half of the bowl, one detects Latakia, then the Virginias, then the Orientals in no particular order. I like this quality since its kind of unpredictable and give the smoke some degree of excitement. The second half of the bowl smokes more smoothly, and the three tobaccos blend nicely into a uniform taste.

It smokes very easily, meaning it is a "one-match" smoke. Re- lighting is rare if ever. I have gone through the better part of a pound now, over the past month, and can say that I highly recommend this blend for English lovers. The Virginias really provide a sweet base, such that the Latakia and Orientals do not compete. Here, in Dark English, there is a nice base of stoved virginias, which lends a deep sweetness to the dense smoke. The Latakia is added with a heavy hand, so its presence is palpable in the full. This then is a blend for Latakia lovers, but who also appreciate the presence of Virginias that attenuates somewhat the presence of Latakia. This does not mean it is weak on the Latakia front. Rather, that the Virginias balance, and prevent the Latakia from taking over fully. It is there, but it is reigned in somewhat by the Virginias. The Orientals provide the spiciness reminiscent of a bazzar in Old Jerusalem, with vendors hawking their wares, in the dank alcoves with rugs hanging from the walls, as sweet mint tea is continuously poured to the customers. Really exotic in scope.

Similar blends to McClellands Dark English Full include, as mentioned, Spilmans, but also Gawith Hoggarth & Co. Balkan Mixture Bulk, Balkan Sasieni and Cornell & Diehl Star of the East Bulk. If you like any of these blends, I think you will appreciate McClellands Dark English Full. Highly recommended.

rogermugs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rogermugs (14)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Full Tolerable to Strong

Don't know why anyone wants to relate this to Frog Morton. If you want Frog Morton smoke Frog Morton. This is an English more in line with Boswell's Northwoods (although in my opinion the latter is quite a bit better), or other dark English Latakia blends.

This is not an overly complex smoke. I have latakia blends I like a lot better when I want to sit and really process something. But I find this to be a nice dark (probably because of the stoved nature of the virgnias) Latakia forward blend. Lovers of latakia may find it not full enough.

Where this tobacco shines is not as your mind-blowing latakia blend, but as your go-to all-day smoke if you're a latakia smoker.

No bite for me (and I'm quite prone), a bit moist for my taste, but perfectly smokable out of the tin.

Pipe Used: MM Great Dane Spool

Age When Smoked: 1 Year

Purchased From: Gift from friend

Similar Blends: Boswell Pipes & Tobacco - Northwoods.

quantumboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
quantumboy (130)

I have found my summertime English smoke! This blend is mellow, flavorful, absolutely refuses to bite, lights and burns easily, and just tastes great. It's very mild, so don't reach for this when you want a big in your face smoke. This one is a hot weather, light English that you could enjoy all day long. I'm going to stash a few pounds of this away for sure!

mrmiloboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mrmiloboy (6)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I have tried other Enlish blends from other companies and have recently tried this one again. Wow! Being a cigar smoker and recently switching back to pipes, (thanks S-CHIP)I was worried about tongue bite. I find it to have a very "round" flavor with absolutely no bite. This is a very big plus for me. It allows you to taste the tobacco blend without any interference. Although is seems to have more moisture content than other tobacco blend from other companies it still does not gurgle and smoke wet. It will definately be a "go-to" smoke for me. The more McClelland blends I try the more impressed I am with this company.

Peppino Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Peppino (74)

Well this is not any of the Frog family products that's for sure. It's not sweet enough (flavored dark cavendish) to meet that criteria. To me it's not a Latakia bomb either, it's there but not in huge doses. It burns clean has a good flavor on the relight, I get a taste of the Orientals and Virginia's for most of the smoke. It may be the Stoved Va. but I think it may have a small amount of Perique although the label doesn't mention it. It may be part of the exotic tobacco's the label does mention. It's a fast burning tobacco so I pack it a little tighter than usual. It burns to the bottom with ease, to a dry gray ash without any work at all. The flavor tends to fade as you get closer to the bottom, it doesn't have an ashy taste just flat. Had it maintained it's flavor I would have given it a 4 star instead of a 3 star rating. Overall it's a very good tobacco one of the best bulk's I've had and a good value, give it a try you won't be disappointed!

Knitpicker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Knitpicker (4)

I loved this blend. The dark, smokey note from the Latakia, punctuated by the copious sweetness from the Virginias, and mellowed by the orientals were in perfect harmony, making a pleasant English blend that I could smoke all day long (if my wife could stand the smell). If you're looking for a strong, deep, complex English, you might want to look elsewhere, but if you enjoy a lighter, sweeter blend, or are just looking for a change of pace, I don't think you can go wrong here!

Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I was sent this as a sample. I am mainly a Virginia smoker, but smoke Englishes from time to time as a change-up. When I smoke Latakia, I usually like either a whole lot, or just a touch. I am a bit more wishy-washy on medium Latakia blends, and this is one of them. I can't put it down, though. I can taste the oriental (Turkish?) and probably some stoved Virginia, and it is nice. Nothing bad I can say about it. I could puff it from time to time. Will I buy any more? Probably not. So what? Others might love it, and this is what makes our hobby so interesting! I am enjoying this bowl, as I enjoyed the 3-4 others I smoked before typing up this little review. I just can't think of any particulars: this blend doesn't move me like a pure aged Virginia. Each to his own.

bentontool Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bentontool (6)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

Very good blend. Slightly too sweet initially. Enough Latakia but predominately VA, especially towards the middle and bottom of bowl. You can taste the oriental influence. Burns well once dried out, arrived a bit on the moist side. I could smoke this all day. Will buy more to cellar.

Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe (18)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I really like this stuff, Its become my regular daily smoke in a Peterson Killarney, Decent flavors, Lotsa smoke, no bites, Highly recommended

Kribbage Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kribbage (32)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

This tobacco is captivating and alluring from the very first opening of the bag to the last puff in the bowl. Greatest English smell in the world! It is listed as having a generous amount of Latakia, yet it did not taste anything close to what they say. It is a beautiful smoke, through and through, and it would be safe for me to say I could smoke this all day. Maybe the quality of the leaf helped the different tobaccos marry well....I don't know. What I DO know is this is one marvelous blend.

Pipe Used: Briar, meerschaum, clay, cob

Age When Smoked: Has been cellared for at least 5 years

Purchased From: A now closed tobacco store in Youngstown, Ohio

crapgame1967 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
crapgame1967 (55)

This is one great tobacco!!! Smooth...Smokey....A tobacco that is best smoked sitting down out side with your eyes closed and entering "The Smoking Zone"! This tobacco has been compared to Frog Morton and I tend to agree with that comparison. If it not Frog's unnamed brother it is definitely a secret relative of some other well known tinned tobacco!

Pipe Used: Too many to list

Age When Smoked: fresh and up to 2 years in a jar

Purchased From: P/C online

tabaco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tabaco (111)
Mild Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Another winner from McClelland, quite similar to Boswells North Woods even Old Limey Bastard. Although not as sweet as North Woods yet sweeter than Old Limey.

Starts off creamy and sweet, which both remain throughout as the bowl combusts down. The Latakia arrives more evident about 1/3rd of the way down. I don't detect Orientals at all, which is fine since I throughly enjoy the other characteristics contained within.

Overall a very mellow, rich and sweet smoke; however, I would not call the experience 'full flavoured' rich yes but not full. I would say McClelland's P.M. Pipe is extra full in comparison. This is medium to full depending on which end of the day you prefer to combust.

Another great bulk blend to add to the cellar and highly recommended.

clanobucklin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
clanobucklin (102)
Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This an excellent smoke. Dark in color. Full and tasty with a heavenly sweet and sour taste. Even a hint of Bakers Chocolate. Not overly complex - but as Goldylocks said - "just right." At a bulk price - this blend is hard to beat! This is not Frog Morton which INHO isn't such a bad thing.

Pipe Used: Jumbos Pot

Purchased From: P&C

arpie55 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
arpie55 (64)

this has got to be the blend that i go to more frequently than any other. it's color is dark and the pouch aroma is wonderful. i find this blend to have just the right balance between the sweetness of the virginias and the spiciness of the orientals. since it is not cased the room note will not solicit very many compliments, but i have never had anyone tell me that it stinks either. my favorite time to smoke is early morning and boy does this go well with a good cup of coffee. not too complex but a little variation as it goes through the bowl, requires maybe a little more than normal by way of pipe cleaners passed during the course, very good for all day.

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (180)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I think I have found my new all day smoke. After several pipes, I find this to be an extremely fulfilling smoke overall. It smokes down to a nice fine ash at the bottom of the pipe. It seems to be at the right moisture level for me. A woodsy type of smoke with not even a hint of tongue bite. I don't smell the usual McC catsup smell in this. It does remind me of Frog Morton, which to me is a very good thing. I most definitely will be procuring more of this fine weed.

porshcigar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
porshcigar (30)

This is another great blend from McClelland. I recently purchased a pound from smokingpipes.com, and I haven't had a day without it since I got my order. I like Latakia, and this blend has it. I have not had any problem with tongue bite and I can smoke it all day long and in every pipe I have. If you like to smoke English blends with a good amount of Latakia, I recommend trying this one, although it can be tough to find. I wish there were tins available, but you have to buy it in bulk. It is worth the trouble to find it.

Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant

A good all-day English blend, well balanced though a little latakia dominated in the beginning. Going on the other components come into the flavour, especially the orientals which add deepness and complexity, while the Virginias support with a subtle sweetness. The appearance is mostly dark, with some pale brown/orange flashes, while the cut is a rough ribbon. The packing and lighting are easy, and the burning is slow and even, no bite and moist if not rushed. As the other McClelland bulks, a fine value for its price.

Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

The Virginia was hot. The Latakia was coarse. The other Orientals were not top-shelf variety either. I suppose I've just given all the reasons why McClelland's didn't bother to put this stuff in tins. Still, for a moderately English presentation at a bargain price, this would be a good choice for those who prefer lighter English fare that will not leave your palate worn out.

tillmanj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tillmanj (73)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Strong

Appearance: an almost even mix of dark and light ribbons, though leaning to the dar a bit. A fair number of stems.

Tin Aroma: Latakia. It is almost impossible to smell anything but Latakia in the tin.

Physical Charteristics: a very loose blend. the uniformity of the cut seems to work against itself, at least in the cohesion department. Easy to pack using the 'trickle' method, but care must be taken to mix it well before packing, or the lighter colored ribbons will be much underrepresented in the smoke.

First Light: A musty flavor reminiscent of camp fires signals the amount of Latakia here. The charring light is easy, and the top layer burns nicely. The second light is just as easy, and 5110 catches easily with only the smallest puffs to urge it on.

Notes: I really only like smoking this blend in two settings; sitting by the fire during winter, with a good book, and something strong to drink, or during the fall, outside in the woods. Yes, I like smoking Latakia outside, big suprise. The woodsy taste and aroma just seem to beg for it. This is particularly good in a BIG pipe, like those Nording freehands that can be had cheap. Very easy to puff too hard and really heat this one up. A vaguely sour taste under the Latakia. not bad, just an interesting pungency. Burns evenly, requires miniml tamping.I cannot recommend this for all-day smoking, as it begins to wreck the palate completely after three or so bowls, but it does make a nice evening smoke, or a 'treat' tobacco.

Robykeys82 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Robykeys82 (20)
Mild None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Ordered 1 Oz to try this one... Full probably refers to the aroma, more than to the body...and for me it's just perfect! Smokes cool, a true delight for the palate! It's a shame it won't be available anymore due to McClelland closing down... :(

Pipe Used: Peterson

Fletch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fletch (4)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

With the news of McClelland's closing, I was visiting a local B&M looking for any available tinned McClelland to keep in my cellar. They were out, but the local shopkeep encouraged me to try a bulk blend they offered of McClelland 5110. I was hesitant, but went ahead and purchased a few ounces to try. Boy am I glad I did! This was a truly enjoyable English blend. Like many people I was introduced to English tobaccos with Frog Morton blends. Truthfully, I wasn't a fan of anything except FMOTB. 5110 was an entirely different experience. In the first 1/2 of the bowl I could taste the sweetness of the virginias on the draw with a very neat pleasant smoky finish (not overwhelming). It wasn't until the 2nd half of the bowl that I noticed a gentle amount of oriental spice develop and a fuller flavor to the smoky latakia. It stayed lit, but didn't get overly hot. I enjoyed the full bowl for the entire hour I smoked this pipe. The room note was alluring. I stepped out several times and when I returned to my smoking lounge, I was enticed by the lingering room note and could not wait to dive back into this bowl. Very disappointed to see this blend disappear, but thankful for the small sample I've been able to enjoy this week.

Pipe Used: Peterson bent

Age When Smoked: Unsure.

toddsmith7378 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
toddsmith7378 (32)
Mild Extremely Mild Full Pleasant

Re-reviewed.

Ok, so I've been smoking it for several days now and can give a more refined review.

I bought this to have something in bulk similar to my favorite blends found in the Frog Morton Series. My fave is Across the Pond with Cellar being also very enjoyed.

My take on smoking all of these and comparing them is that it's like having a song you really love with considerable difference in equalizer settings. The Morton's have been dialed in by a professional audio technician to hear just the right frequencies at a particular nuances that result in a highly tuned piece of flavorful art. Though there are differences, there's a lot of the same flavors at different expectant levels.

The 5110 is like all of that same flavor, just not dialed in on each band of the spectrum specifically. Someone just took all the ingredients and said, Low, Medium, and high, done. So, it's all there at a kind of more bulky and less nuanced way.

So, I still taste all the stuff I like, just not in a highly tuned way, so to speak. In some ways, I actually prefer the 5110 because of this. I love that chocolate coffee taste that is considerably more subdued in the Morton's that is ever present in the 5110.

This is my daily English smoke..........I am recommending it highly, but if I could get Frog Morton Cellar, or Across the Pond in bulk, I'd probably take that route.

Pipe Used: Kaywoodie, Peterson 302

Age When Smoked: 39 when I smoked it.

Purchased From: Just for him

Similar Blends: Frog Morton's..

Stinkypipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stinkypipe (156)

You just can not find a more satisfactory blend than this beauty. If you love Latakia, tasty English, spicy orientals this is a blend for you! The opening note is sweet, sour, and smoky. It simply makes my mouth water. Light up is easy blend burns very cool and slow. This is a smoke in a large bowl you can enjoy for well over an hour. The taste is wonderful with a smoky, sweet, sour flavor that continues throughout the wonderful smoke. Near the end of the bowl you get a nice spicy flavor as the orientals kick in. Man oh man this is a fantastic blend. The room note is a sour smoky aroma that unfortunately not please non smokers but other pipe smokers should enjoy. This is a five star blend that will always be in my rotation.

Pipe Used: Boswell freehand

Age When Smoked: Fresh and aged.

Purchased From: Smoking pipes

Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

McClelland - No. 5110 Dark English Full.

I wouldn't call it a Ribbon, it's far too coarse a mix: leaves, twigs, ribbons, and a few clumps. The appearance of the blend is mostly very dark with only about a quarter of it being shades of lighter brown. As it's from bulk it's neither too wet nor too dry.

Once lit it makes really thick/heavy smoke! The Virginia and Oriental tobaccos' make up just a small proportion of the flavour, and I mean TINY. To me the Latakia's running the show; it doesn't seem to be the mellow kind (wood and strong cedar), it gives a stout, smoky, and traditional Latakia flavour. The smoke's taste has a decent stability to it; I don't find it fluctuates much; throughout a bowl the Virginia and Oriental/Turkish tobaccos' are virtually absent, and it's mainly the Latakia in there. The nicotine's a little milder than I'd expected; it's not fully mild, but neither is it dead-on medium. Personally, although the room-note's quite heavy, I like it, but it could be considered offensive with its huge plumes!

To me, this is easily worth four stars:

Highly recommended.

Pipe Used: Butz Choquin Calabash Super Junior

Mild None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

I just finished a very large sample of this I was given by a forum friend about three years ago. I can't say I was too excited about this one after trying some other McClelland latakia blends that blew my mind such as both the three oaks blends and Balkan blue. One should not expect one of those tastes from this as a bulk alternative to save money.

My problem with this blend is the amount of latakia. This one is, no doubt, made for the latakia lover. It was a little too heavy on the lat for my tastes overwhelming, what I find to be McClelland's greatest asset, the Virginias. It tasted out of balance to my tastes. I was close to giving this a one star as I could objectively not recommend this.

With bulks a big selling point is the savings you get or, I believe, we would all just buy tins. With this one, money could be saved buying Lane's BS 005 in bulk and I think one would get a superior latakia blend to this one. IMO Even within McClelland's own selection of bulks, I would choose Bulk 925 over this one as I find that to be much tastier.

I will leave this at two stars as it does have its fans, but I really can't recommend this one.

L'Italiano Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
L'Italiano (170)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Medium to Full Strong

One of the worst English mixtures I ever smoked. Two negative things above all: 1) too much Latakia in the mixture (overdone percentages); 2) too little nicotine (very low content of nicotine). This mixture is not full-bodied and has no strength. Maybe it is ideal for light mixtures’ lovers and for latakia lovers, but in my opinion this blend is ordinary. Smoking it you can only detect a full latakia taste and nothing else. For this reason in my personal system rating (from 1 to 10) my score is 3 and only a star.

twaksak Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
twaksak (54)
Mild to Medium None Detected Full Pleasant

Must say, I have never tasted anything like this in all my reviews - and I love this blend!

I love Latakia /Oriental and if that is combined with a roasted / chocolaty / cocoa taste, then its a winner for me. Not as if I want those flavours always, but every time I had a bowl of this, it was just the right taste at the right time!

Dark, full flavoured with definite chocolaty / mocha flavours combined with Latakia. And in the background, the oriental flavours reminds you that this is indeed an English blend.

This blend will be on my favourite list!

Pipe Used: Bari, Savinelli

Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

For my taste buds this is a real beauty. I love the flavor of sweet Latakia and that's basically what we have here. This pushes all the right buttons for me. This Stoved Virginia is superb and is the star of the show, in my opinion. My cellar just gained a few pounds of weight. Orientals? What Orientals? Couldn't taste them and don't care.

Mild to medium in body, very nearly just mild. Medium in wonderful sweet Latakia flavor. Burns great.

Pipe Used: MM Country Gentleman, MM Mark Twain

Age When Smoked: fresh bulk

Bluesmoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bluesmoke (75)

Very nice English. This has the usual fermented flavor of many McC's blends and I think it makes this mixture quite distinct and charming. This is more of a VA forward, sweetish blend with the Latakia and Orientals playing as pals in yonder sandbox waiting for occasional introductions. This takes to flame well but needed a few relight...a little extra drying time would remedy this easily. The price is exceptional and this can be found most anywhere they sell fine baccy. A great staple is this mellow, medium English...moderate amount of smoke and full in body. PTLOC

albfneto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
albfneto (184)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Tolerable

This Blend is complex, harmonius, each type of tobacco may be found in the taste, But in a few minutes of smoking, it turns almost tasteless and boring, Also is a coarse ribbon, difficult to fit in the bowl and to maintain the pipe lighted. Two stars for the quality, but this blend is not for me. I prefer Many other English mixtures: Penzance, Presbyterian, Chipman Hill, Britt's Balkan, Balkan Supreme, Three Blind Moose, Balded Headed Teacher etc... Between the blends with large latakia ammount, Pirate Cake is much better.

Tripjoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tripjoker (65)
Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

As is the case with most of my experiences with this blending house, they are makers of some of the most consistently light tobaccos I have ever had the displeasure of smoking.

5110 is no exception. The description is full of promise but it is short on delivery. Don't get me wrong, these are all very good component tobaccos here. They just don't sing. For some reason McClelland just doesn't have the knack of making blends with any real strength of character. They are all very light in flavor and nicotine. The burn characteristics are usually not great either. This blend is no exception there.

In an effort to say something good about 5110, I would have to say that it smells nice in the bag. Yep, that's it. I wish I could say more. I was born and raised in KC and would love to smoke McClelland more, but just don't like their style. They get close with this one, but just need to amp it up about three or four notches, as they need to do with most of their blends, and not just the bulks either.

Another great tobacco for the light body lovers out there. Hell, if you like light body tobaccos, McClelland has you covered. Try any of them, you'll probably like most of them. Cheers!

Knightsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Knightsmoker (137)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This was not what I was expecting by the name. It is a dark blend to be sure but I had anticipated a full bodied smoke. This is not. It is Medium bodied with a mild to medium strength. It could be smoked all day if one is inclined. However, the cut is varied: Ribbon, chucked, some very fine pieces too. There is a humectant added keeping it way to moist. Even after an hour drying it remained too moist. Although the description does not indicate it there is definitely a casing. I am a purist and try to avoid casings. Toppings (they are different from casings after all) are not such a big deal but casings affect the flavor of the smoke and I want to taste tobacco only in a latakia blend. Personally, for the price paid, I would not buy this again.

bayro Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bayro (28)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Unnoticeable

Resembles FMOT, but it is milder and much faceless. A big disappointment and pure disaster!

constantsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
constantsmoker (65)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

This blend should satisfy pipers who like their Latakia a little on the heavy side accompanied by fragrant/flavorful Orientals and a sturdy Virginia base. While Blend #5110 is not a tobacco that I enjoy, I recognize its high quality and compliment McClellend on its choices of tobaccos. A fine blend suitable for the neophyte pipe smoker.

Mitland Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mitland (7)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Tolerable to Strong

Mostly black with some dark brown from the stoved VA and random blond flecks of Turkish. Tastes very smooth and smokey with some hints of fig, licorice and an occasional note of mouthwatering spice from the Turkish. Not particularly complex, just smooth and relaxing. This is a fine end of the day smoke for sitting in a comfy chair and not paying attention to anything in particular, though a copy of the Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes would come in handy. Don't know that this is exactlty FMOTT in bulk. It's simple and tastey none the less.

Satc001 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Satc001 (66)

This is a nice bulk offering for those who like the hybrid english tobaccos like Frog Morton. To me, it is worth the extra money to get a tin of the Frog Morton series, but to the FM junky, this is a nice affordable option. I highly recommend this to those looking to try an English blend, or to those who like a lighter change of pace to their normal Latakia-heavy diets.

Papas Fritas Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Papas Fritas (5)
Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

No. 5110 Dark English Full is the fourth of about a dozen samples I picked up of McClelland’s, so far excellent bulk blends. This one is definitely dark and the jar note is strait up campfire. I have smoked many other English blends and this is what I would call a standard English, just what you would expect an English to be. Medium flavor and strength with the Latakia taking the lead role, the smoking mechanics are perfect, nice white ash and it burns effortlessly to the bottom of the bowl. That being said, I am very impressed with McClelland bulk blends, I will be ordering more of the 5110 Dark English Full, it is an excellent smoke and a couple of pounds in my cellar will suit me just fine. Highly Recommended, 4 stars

Pipe Used: Mario Grandi Fatta

Purchased From: Smokingpipes

The Pipe Sigh Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Pipe Sigh (2)
Very Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant

This is okay. It's nothing special. I won't be buying it again. I bought two ounces to try it, and have gone through about an ounce.

The Latakia is always in the foreground. Always, it seems. I once tasted the Orientals, and then it went away and has yet to return during a smoke. It had me excited for a moment. To get the full flavor, you have to keep a slow and soft cadence, but it's still Latakia dominant. I didn't pick out any of the Virginia at any point.

The tobacco was fairly moist in the beginning. I'd let it sit for a month in a mason jar. It was most flavorful when I opened it and it was still moist, but it was so moist it simply wouldn't stay lit. I continued to smoke bowls pulling from the jar, that being the only time it would be allowed to dry. The dryer it got, the more tasteless it got. The moisture level is nice where it is right now, burning evenly and slowly, and is nice and cool, but at the sacrifice of the flavor profile, which was already pretty one-dimensional and was all it really had going for it.

It's not a terrible smoke, but it's far from being thoroughly enjoyable.

Pipe Used: Savinelli, Stanwell, MM cob, Nording, Bjarne

Age When Smoked: Unknown

Purchased From: www.pipesandcigars.com

Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (171)

Wow. I absolutely love this blend. A blend doesn't have to be full of nicotine, loaded with latakia, or be so complex you struggle to write a review. No sir.

Tin aroma is of the trademarked McClelland fermented Virginia, and smoky Latakia.

Chunky cut tobacco comprised of mostly pitch black leaf, with specs here and there of lighter Oriental leaf. This blend is perfectly balanced, has loads of stoved Virginia sweetness, and superb latakia richness. The Orientals are toned down, but are noticeable. Notes of earth, leather, smoky peat and moderate sweetness throughout the bowl. Packing this blend is easy, moisture content on point. lighting is easy and remains, relights are fairly uncommon. Burns down to a fine dark ash and remains dry.

Mild Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

To me, this is clearly an aromatic ( vanilla ) highly stoved Virginia/Cavendish. Yes, the tobacco is almost completely dark, but not from Latakia. Why McClelland calls this a "Full English" , I have no idea ? I find my taste is 180 degrees from many of the experienced previous reviewers ( who I have great respect for and usually value their opinions ). I get NO oriental/Turkish incense or flavor, I can't understand why anyone would say the flavoring was rated "none detected", or that this was a Latakia forward blend. I'm trying to get past the vanilla over Latakia flavor that I find bitter and distracting.

Reminds me some of 4N's, "Bald Headed Teacher" or H&H's "Fusilier's Ration". Well respected blends ( that I also don't care for). This blend is just not for me and NOT a Full English ! I personally struggle to give this 2 stars

DID YHEY SEND THE WRONG BLEND ???

Pipe Used: cob

Age When Smoked: new bulk

Similar Blends: Bald Headed Teacher, Fusiliers Ration.

Scooter2d2 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Scooter2d2 (1)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

Pretty good English tobacco. I purchased 5 ounces and have been enjoying it. I will say it did come quite moist, but according to other reviews, that seems to be the norm. Dried it out a bit and that did help...although it is going to stay somewhat moist no matter what. Just the nature of this tobacco. Good sweetness with a nice touch of the Latakia. I'd say the Latakia though takes more of a back seat to the Virginias, and that might be due to the stoved mixture. It is a cool and bite-less smoke, and certainly a good one for an all day English.

Pipe Used: Hand made from A Gentleman's Collection

Similar Blends: Frog Morton On The Town.

luvinthepipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
luvinthepipe (28)
Mild to Medium None Detected Full Pleasant

This tobacco smells great and looks good and dark with some light ribbons in there. Taste is not offensive and if you just want to puff an write...well... this performs admirably. Nice taste, nice room note, nice smell in the jar...this tobacco has lots going for it. The problem is, when you start to move your fingers through the tobacco you feel lots of hard and spiky things. It almost feels like shards of wood are in there along with hard but spongy bits. When packing the bowl of my pipe I found myself pouring a lot into the palm of my hand then spend a few minutes picking out all the wood. Obviously the tobacco here is the leftovers from some great tobaccos. What we get from this is the stems from the leaf and the big veins mixed in. Makes sense that the makers don't tin this stuff. I won't buy any more. Once I have a bowl packed it stays lit and smells and tastes good. Lacking a bit of complexity but very nice as a background while I write. Problem is that my pipe smoking is one of my special pleasuresthat does not involve another person (along with a good smokey islay scotch) . Why should I waste my money on leftover tobacco? Tobaccos that taste like this and smell like this MUST come in nice tins and a good presentation. I don't mind picking pine needles out of my chantrelle mushrooms but leave them out of my smoking tobacco.

Moe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Moe (46)
Mild Medium to Strong Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

5110 is definatly similar to Frog On the Town, I havent had the pleasure of trying regular Frog Morton yet, But I did like FMOTT. and like this blend as well.

I find it a bit heavier in the Latakia department (a good thing in my book), and just a tadpole less sweet than the FMOTT.

I picked up a pound of this recently from MarsCigars and it arrived a bit more moist than I like, so I spread a large bowl-full on a piece of printer paper and let it dry for an hour, the results were great.

Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

Again one of my McClelland favorite bulk tobaccos, I find this blend smoke better with my grp 5 Dunhill briar Canadian.

Sweet, smooth, soft, creamy with some coffee/chocolate background, mild in nicotine, well balanced Lat/Va/Oriental.

I don?t think this is a natural tobacco blend, there is some topping and there is some casing, but after all I really don?t care as long as it is a good smoke, and I find this really good smoke, easy to pack and light, I will get 1 pound for aging. Highly recommended

al1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
al1 (58)

I used to love this smoke. It is a very tasty rich blend, good for afternoon or evening smoking. Has a definite latakia smell and taste but some good va and orientals are in there also. It is very mildly flavored or topped to my taste. Although it is not too complex a flavor it is very rich and satisfying. The taste reminds me of creamed coffee and caramel at times. Pouch aroma of leather and english toffee. Sweet, but not too much.

This tobacco burns and packs especially well. Smokes cool with much thick smoke. Tastes good all the way down the bowl. Very few relights also. So smooth I never have tongue bite issues.--- Ehh, I was wrong it steams too much for me.

If you like medium english blends you should like this.

Update: I still reccomend this to bulk only smokers but try Bombay Extra in the tins if you want a better version of this and don't need it in huge quanties.

Update: Since my great revelation about drying out my tobacco's which kept me smoking cool and dry I have found this one to be cased or contian more humectant than I find acceptable. I am sad to lower my rating to two stars but I find much more joy in Mcclellands 2000 series of tobacco's

Still good for frog morton fans. I just haved moved on to what I enjoy more.

Medium Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

08/06/2004: This is one fine English. It is full flavored though and requires some self discipline for proper enjoyment. It can get a bit salty if smoked too fast. One of the best bulk English tobaccos on the market. Probably another stinker for the non-smokers out there!

11/17/2006 Update: No longer in my rotation. A good transition toward more complex pipe tobaccos. If you like the Frog Morton series, give this a try. Only sold in bulk.

dualkarnain Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dualkarnain (75)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable

There's a fair dose of Latakia and stoved tobaccos here and they are harmonious in fostering a smooth, delicious taste.

There's not a lot of intensity in this blend but there is character. It's a great morning or noon-time smoke when flavor is wanted but tobacco-nirvana is not on the menu (as the office girls wouldn't appreciate the dumbstruck smile).

Images evoked involve reading a relatively unknnown science fiction book by a fairly famous science fiction author- I am provided some enthusiastic enjoyment but it isn't the type that is world-class nor famous.