This tobacco is the style of Blake Virginia Cake tobacco that has been given classic English mixtures their characteristic flavor and refinement of quality. Similair to Rattray's Black Virginia or Dark Fragrant.

Blended ByMcClelland Tobacco Company
Strength
Taste
2.6
Extremely Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

A blending tobacco that can be smoked straight. I did both with it. Very black in the bag with the unmistakeable aroma of tangy virginia.

Smoked straight, this was an extremely mild blend that was easy on the tongue and on the tastebuds. Probably close to no nicotine. Very similar to Rattrays Black Virginia, and just as hard to keep lit, at least initially. Very reticent to take to the match and I had to relight early and often. Once it gets going - about 1/3 down the bowl - it does better. Not much to get excited about straight but certainly inoffensive and non-biting. Nowhere near as good a straight smoke as McClellands Black Shag, also a stoved VA.

As a blender, this is a critical component. I blend it with #5100 and perique and create a nice, subtley spicy smoke. But for me it's blending qualities shine when mixed with a lemon VA. It tones down the citrus quality and adds a fair amount of tang. Definitely creates some additional complexity as well. 2 stars as a straight smoke, 4 as a blender.

Very Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I purchased this in bulk from a great tobacconist in Gaylord Michigan, Ash Tobaccos. He carries McClelland for all of his bulks and will readily translate from his shop's names to the McClelland names.

The reason I point this out is due to the fact that many claim this to be a blending tobacco yet it was not contained in the section that he has for blending tobaccos, so I am not sure of whether it is the intent of McClelland that this be a blender or not. Of course, anything can be a blender if the user so chooses.

I smoked it straight. I had two ounces and split it up with a friend in exchange for some of the 2015 he had purchased. I would say I got the better end of the bargain. This tobacco is nice and mild and has a slightly sweet cider taste to it.

It did burn wet as anything and the pipe gurgled bad necessitating a swab with a cleaner with every smoke. I can't give this better than two stars based on both this and the fact that there are just too many other vas that I would opt for before this. As a blender it may well go up to three stars or four, but that was not how I used it and my blending experience so far has kept me to buying blends created by experts.

Extremely Mild None Detected Very Mild Very Pleasant

Oh wow, where's the flavor and strength? Certainly not in my tin. I can see where this one will add a little something to other blends but by itself... well, it was like wearing a favorite 30 year old T-shirt, thread bare and no color.

It has been pressed to the point of no return and no matter how hard you puff trying to find some flavor, it will not bite. It did burn well and (thankfully), rather quickly.

SirLoirn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SirLoirn (126)
Mild None Detected Medium Tolerable

Bulk: Coal black. Looks like a pressed sheet of flake that was rubbed out into hard splinters. A light sweet scent.

Packing & Burning: Gravity feed, then use constant tamping and puffing to concentrate the taste. It takes a relight regularly.

Taste & Aroma: Initially just moderately sweet, but mid bowl, good stoved VA qualities develop, rich, dark, almost carmelized, not bitey. Akin to mildly carmel, browned popcorn. Also a nutty chocolate complexion.

Nicotine: Mild

Room Note: Tolerable

Overall: This one matches the qualities its expected to have. 5105 gives a good idea of what a stoved VA is all about. Use a large bowl to bring out these characteristics. 3.8 stars.

Puff Daddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puff Daddy (43)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Having read a few reviews from some of you gents who tried a bowl of this by itself, I smiled at your one- or two-star ratings. This is meant to be a blending product! I'd highly doubt that many in the world smoke this by itself....

Try this for a really nice pound to age: 10 ounces of 5100 Red Cake, 4 ounces of this Stoved VA, and 2 ounces of McLelland's Blending Perique. If you like a stronger VaPer, by all means, add an ounce or more, and subtract it from the 5100. But, leaving the four ounces of 5105 is a key. Obviously, stoving hastens the sugar development, and yields real aging benefits. I have pounds of this aging at present, in varying strengths of Perique. I recently broke the seal on one of my Mason jars and went through a jar of the above blend that was merely 13 months old, and found it to be marvelous already. In a year or two, it'll be special, I believe. Will it be the next Escudo? Nah... but it will be a far more economical everyday go-to blend.

I'm a huge fan of Rattray's Hal-O-The-Wynd, and was happy to learn that Smokingpipes.com is now selling this in 17.5 ounce bags. I bought my first bag, mixed in 4 ounces of 5105, and have sealed the blend in more Mason jars. (Quart-sized) These funny little black sticks of stoved VA will help to soften the HOTW, and I'll bet that when I first smoke it, it'll be marvelous. A year should even make a great difference.

Making our own blends is fun, though highly subjective. But as a blending tobacco, I'm at a loss without 5105. I know of no other bulk stoved VA out there quite like this.

constantsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
constantsmoker (61)

A very good stoved, beautifully dark Virginia. IMHO, a perfect all-day/anytime smoke. My 'sample' lit promptly, burned evenly and did not bite my tongue, although my mouth did get a tad dry when I was puffing at this blend. (Remedy: don't puff this blend!)

The so-called McClellend catchup odor was absent, but there was a faint, slightly spicey aroma from the (bulk) package contents. Very good moisture content. The only negative comment I will make is that I was expecting a little bit more from this blend, and I will agree with some other reviewers in that it is 'monochromatic' in its overall aspect. However, I have purchased pricier VAs that do not measure up to this blend. Generally, I think that VA smokers will truly enjoy this blend, as I did.

Maimonides Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Maimonides (70)
Mild Very Mild Medium Pleasant

TANGY

Nice, great for stoved VA fans- Great price in bulk. I find it similar to me to Dark Star, with greater emphasis on 'tangy' and less diverse and rich. A daily stoved VA smoker would find this a good buy. The 'tang' dominates and grows torwards the bottom of the bowl. BETTER PICK: DARK STAR OR BLACKWOODS

BETTER PICK: MCCLELLAND CHRISTMAS CHEER 05' OR 06

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)

Appearance: Sort of random bits, some ribbon like, some pebblish in texture. Qhite uniformly dark in color.

Aroma: Typical sweet and tangy aroma of a stoved blend, but without the intensity of McC #25. I had hoped that this would be a bulk equivalent, but apparently not.

Packing: Pack only with some difficulty due to the odd cut. I had to rub some of it out a bit to avoid odd sized pieces which would burn poorly.

Lighting: Lights slowly, sometimes needing two charring lights before the main event.

Initial flavor: Dark flavor of stoved Va., but without any highlights. Really monochromatic.

Mid-bowl: No real life in the blend for me. Boring in taste, and does not burn well ar all. Seems to burn wet, or maybe that?s just my saliva reaction to over puffing.d.

Finish: Very difficult to finish a bowl of this tobacco. Also left a lot of guck in the stem.

Summary: Only for the dedicated lovers of the darkest Virginia. For me, a major disappointment. Nothing like my memory of Rattray Dark Fragrant.

Sceny Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sceny (66)
Mild None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Since I enjoy the McClelland tinned Virginias very much, I decided to try their (much cheaper) bulk blends as well. This one is a pretty good start! It is a dark, rich tobacco in the style I very much enjoy. And while perhaps not as flavorful as the tinned flakes such as Dark Star, this is nevertheless an excellent, affordable substitute. The smell in the bulk bag is rich and sweet, clean and dark but without mustiness; I don't notice any of the usual vinegar Virginia smell. The tobacco itself is very dark black in color, though a broken piece shows a dark reddish brown hue on the inside. The moisture level is roughly average to damp, though not at all sticky or wet. The cut is medium to short, with a few larger chunks mixed in; the leaf is also rather hard and dense without being dry (one other review described it as pellet-like). It packs very well and lights easily, requiring an average number of relights during a bowl. In the first third of the bowl, the taste is similar to the smell: sweet, rich, and dark. The sweetness is not overwhelming, but it is definitely present. The main flavor, however, is the dark richness of the stoved Virginia. It is not overly complex at this point, but it is obviously high-quality, well-blended tobacco. It is also very nice blown out through the nose, and the room odor is fairly inoffensive. In the second third of the bowl, the sweetness is still strong, though the dark Virginia flavors have increased in strength somewhat. There is a "tang" to the smoke, almost sour, that is most noticeable in the nose. The flavors here are a bit more complex and full as well, and the sweetness is better balanced. If smoked too fast, this tobacco will bite, but overall it is remarkably bite-free for a McClelland Virginia. In the final third, the flavors continue dark and rich. This isn't the fullest Virginia I've ever smoked, but it is still very nice. There is little bite, and no moisture to speak of. The sourness has disappeared, and the taste is good right to the ashes. Overall, this is a very good tobacco. I enjoyed the dark flavor and the richness very much, and I was grateful for not having to fight the usual tongue bite. I believe that this blend will improve a great deal with some age on it, and I plan to cellar a pound or so for just that purpose. Recommended for anyone who likes darker, flavorful Virginia tobacco.

Very Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

A little sweet and a bit tangy, I found it to be a typical stoved Virginia. Smokes rather wet, and is extremely mild with very little nicotine. It's not a boring smoke, it's just rather ordinary. I know it's mainly used as a mixer, which is the only reason I see for its existence. Two stars as it is, three as a mixer.

Smoke_Ring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Rated Percentage = 75%

Comment = Smooth, Strong Strength Flavor, not an all day smoke

Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (120)

I will somewhat mirror DK's review. I smoked this both straight and mixed. It is an easy blend on the tongue, and makes a great Va blending leaf.

If you are venturing into blending or looking to add a little something to a flat Va, I wouldn't hesitate to pick up a few oz's or pounds!

Chris08 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Chris08 (37)
Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant

This is a very mild stoved Virginia that can be smoked straight all day long. By itself, however, it may leave the smoker somewhat unsatisfied.

This tobacco does make a great blender. It can mellow, add complexity, and sweeten about anything you add it to. In fact, I've added it to other straight Virginia's and the the result tends to be nicer than either of the tobacco's seperately.

4 stars as a tobacco you should have in stock for experimenting with blending at home.

2.5 - 3 stars as a tobacco by itself.

loosewatches Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
loosewatches (108)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I can't imagine this being sold as anything but a blending tobacco. I have smoked it straight a couple of times and it tasted, well, componential. Alone it is lacking. But, as a blender it's great. I like to add 5 to 20 % of it to some of my favorite VA flakes. It provides a toned down McClelland twang.

Nick O'Teen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nick O'Teen (90)

5105 is about as bland and tasteless a virginia as you'd ever want to smoke. It's also a tough light. On the positive side: it burns forever and smokes cool.

I'll finish up the bag by adding this to some thin bodied aromatics I have laying around, to add some body without changing the flavor.

I can't imagine repurchasing this one.

Tin Man Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tin Man (14)

This stuff is odd. Spikey little anthracite sticks. Doesn't pack at all. Just pour it in to the pipe; that's about all you can do. Does not burn well for me, altho it tastes just fine once it does. Think I will probably use this for blending.

obxemt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
obxemt (26)

As someone else said, when added to 5100, the result is supremely delicious. I don't know about smoking it straight, but invaluable as a blending tobacco.

imago Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
imago (63)
Mild to Medium Mild Very Mild Pleasant

This is one of the few tobaccos that, when smoked, provided more of a "feel" in the mouth than flavour. It's great for adding a bit of heft to, say, 5100, but it's a bit too monochromatic to smoke by itself.

tonyg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tonyg (103)
Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This tobacco arrived with the perfect moisture content. Upon opening aroma is deligtful and nothing like the usual ketchup common to McClelland.

Initially, I liked this tobacco a great deal. I was (and still am) quite impressed by its unique flavor. Unfortunaltely, there are lots of others that are equally unique. The worst part of this blend is hard to light and impossible to keep lit.

It bears little resemblance to Black Vanilla or Dark Fragrant as McCllend suggests.

If you do purchase this blend and share my experiences, use it to tone down other tobaccos that you might find overwhelming, but do not buy it for that purpose.

A loser from this otherwise fine blender.

Cactus John Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cactus John (34)

This is a good bulk stoved Virginia. Nothing special but worth buying. Very smokeable.

Inquisitor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Inquisitor (155)

A black, broken flake tobacco, with relatively minor amounts of the classic McClelland tang in the pouch aroma. PG is present, but sparingly used (no stickiness, and I actually had to rehydrate my sample before smoking). I can't detect any topping in the pouch aroma.

Flavor-wise, this doesn't meet my minimum threshold. Nothing bad about it, some good flavors, but they are very faint. Room aroma is quite nice, suggesting some minor unidentifiable topping. Doesn't bite. I will save this for blending, perhaps to lighten up an overly-latakia'd blend, or to cool a bright VA.