This tobacco is the style of Blake Virginia Cake tobacco that has been given classic English mixtures their characteristic flavor and refinement of quality. Similair to Rattray's Black Virginia or Dark Fragrant.

Blended ByMcClelland Tobacco Company
Strength
Taste
Extremely Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

A blending tobacco that can be smoked straight. I did both with it. Very black in the bag with the unmistakeable aroma of tangy virginia.

Smoked straight, this was an extremely mild blend that was easy on the tongue and on the tastebuds. Probably close to no nicotine. Very similar to Rattrays Black Virginia, and just as hard to keep lit, at least initially. Very reticent to take to the match and I had to relight early and often. Once it gets going - about 1/3 down the bowl - it does better. Not much to get excited about straight but certainly inoffensive and non-biting. Nowhere near as good a straight smoke as McClellands Black Shag, also a stoved VA.

As a blender, this is a critical component. I blend it with #5100 and perique and create a nice, subtley spicy smoke. But for me it's blending qualities shine when mixed with a lemon VA. It tones down the citrus quality and adds a fair amount of tang. Definitely creates some additional complexity as well. 2 stars as a straight smoke, 4 as a blender.

Very Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

The stoved Virginias are moderately sweet, a bit tangy with ripe dark fruit and some citrus and earth, and a couple blades of grass. Slightly sugary, too. Hardly has any nicotine. Won't bite or get harsh. Smokes rather wet and slow, and is very mild with a consistent flavor. Leaves a little moisture in the bowl, and needs a few relights. Has a light after taste. A fairly ordinary all day smoke. I know it's mainly used as a mixer, so it's two stars as it is, three as a mixer.

Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant

This is very mild in flavor, but has a wonderful sweetness to it. I've been using it as a blender to add sweetness without changing the flavor of the blend I'm working with. It's excellent for that purpose.

Mild in body. Very mild in flavor. Burn isn't the best by itself. Once blended it causes no problems.

Pipe Used: MM Country Gentleman, MM Mark Twain, MM Morgan

Age When Smoked: fresh bulk

Extremely Mild None Detected Very Mild Very Pleasant

Oh wow, now here's flavor and strength! It has been pressed to the point of no return and no matter how hard you puff it will not bite. It burns well and provides Virginia lovers with the flavor and depth as well as sweet spots all the way down the bowl. Delightful stuff!

Very Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I purchased this in bulk from a great tobacconist in Gaylord Michigan, Ash Tobaccos. He carries McClelland for all of his bulks and will readily translate from his shop's names to the McClelland names.

The reason I point this out is due to the fact that many claim this to be a blending tobacco yet it was not contained in the section that he has for blending tobaccos, so I am not sure of whether it is the intent of McClelland that this be a blender or not. Of course, anything can be a blender if the user so chooses.

I smoked it straight. I had two ounces and split it up with a friend in exchange for some of the 2015 he had purchased. I would say I got the better end of the bargain. This tobacco is nice and mild and has a slightly sweet cider taste to it.

It did burn wet as anything and the pipe gurgled bad necessitating a swab with a cleaner with every smoke. I can't give this better than two stars based on both this and the fact that there are just too many other vas that I would opt for before this. As a blender it may well go up to three stars or four, but that was not how I used it and my blending experience so far has kept me to buying blends created by experts.

constantsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
constantsmoker (65)

A very good stoved, beautifully dark Virginia. IMHO, a perfect all-day/anytime smoke. My 'sample' lit promptly, burned evenly and did not bite my tongue, although my mouth did get a tad dry when I was puffing at this blend. (Remedy: don't puff this blend!)

The so-called McClellend catchup odor was absent, but there was a faint, slightly spicey aroma from the (bulk) package contents. Very good moisture content. The only negative comment I will make is that I was expecting a little bit more from this blend, and I will agree with some other reviewers in that it is 'monochromatic' in its overall aspect. However, I have purchased pricier VAs that do not measure up to this blend. Generally, I think that VA smokers will truly enjoy this blend, as I did.

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)

Appearance: Sort of random bits, some ribbon like, some pebblish in texture. Qhite uniformly dark in color.

Aroma: Typical sweet and tangy aroma of a stoved blend, but without the intensity of McC #25. I had hoped that this would be a bulk equivalent, but apparently not.

Packing: Pack only with some difficulty due to the odd cut. I had to rub some of it out a bit to avoid odd sized pieces which would burn poorly.

Lighting: Lights slowly, sometimes needing two charring lights before the main event.

Initial flavor: Dark flavor of stoved Va., but without any highlights. Really monochromatic.

Mid-bowl: No real life in the blend for me. Boring in taste, and does not burn well ar all. Seems to burn wet, or maybe that?s just my saliva reaction to over puffing.d.

Finish: Very difficult to finish a bowl of this tobacco. Also left a lot of guck in the stem.

Summary: Only for the dedicated lovers of the darkest Virginia. For me, a major disappointment. Nothing like my memory of Rattray Dark Fragrant.

Very Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant

McClelland - No. 5105 Stoved Virginia.

Opening this caused a bit of a disappointment, initially, as it looked too dry. Other than that, though, there isn't many issues. There also isn't much to say about the smoke! I'll try though.

This is simple: I get a sweet flavour, coupled with some subtle Virginia traits, not much nicotine, quite a cool smoke, and no bite. I can see this being a great component for adding to a raucous blend to reduce any feistiness. I find it a bit of a bore on it's own though.

For use as a blending tobacco/calming agent I'll recommend it. I would give it four if it weren't for the first issue with the moisture.

Three stars.

Pipe Used: Altinok Lee Van Cleef Meer'

Age When Smoked: Three weeks

Purchased From: 4noggins

Jacinto Cupboard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jacinto Cupboard (180)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

In appearance a jet black broken flake. The pieces are quite small and might be considered a cube cut. The bag note has a pleasant, probably natural, sweetness with a typical McC acetic character. There are dried citrus peel notes on the nose. It does not have the post fermentation richness of the premier McC Stoved Virginias.

For a stoved tobacco, takes a light relatively well and burns satisfactorily thereafter. Some relights are to be expected. The smoke is cool and sweet and uncomplicated. The apple cider reference made by another reviewer is spot on.

There is some pepperiness as the bowl progresses and I would rate this higher in nicotine than have most reviewers. Works fine as a change of pace tobacco or as a 'beater'. Best served in a cob.

Pipe Used: Lepeltier/MM Legend

Rated Percentage = 75%

Comment = Smooth, Strong Strength Flavor, not an all day smoke

Capt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Capt (171)

I will somewhat mirror DK's review. I smoked this both straight and mixed. It is an easy blend on the tongue, and makes a great Va blending leaf.

If you are venturing into blending or looking to add a little something to a flat Va, I wouldn't hesitate to pick up a few oz's or pounds!