This is an unusual mixture, because it contains no Latakia, yet still has the round, rich flavor one would expect from this style of tobacco. Liberal quantities of Orientals and a special Virginia Cavendish made with Eastern Belt Carolina leaf combine with Black Cavendish to make this a tobacco that will satisfy a great variety of tastes.

Blended ByMcClelland Tobacco Company

2.5
½ bowl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
½ bowl (99)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

I concur with Toytruck's review of 07/16/2008. My take on 2050 is that it is a "flavored" blend -- and probably only the Cavendish component at that -- but it is a far cry from cheap drugstore brands that reek of chemicals. Snob that I am (or sophisticate that I try to be), I never intentionally buy a flavored or "cased" tobacco; but on occasion I do blunder into them. So it was with 2050, and I think it is a really nice smoke: cool, dry, and tasty. For me it delivers tastes from the dark side: deep prune / raisin / fig; and something that suggests a high-end semi-sweet extra dark chocolate (semi-bitter might be more descriptive.) I think I've experienced a similar dark taste like this in something called Chinese Bead Molasses. Well, despite the flavoring (I resist using the words "casing sauce" for this blend), there's no mistake: you're smoking tobacco, not chemicals.

Though my supply is moister than I prefer, it is in no way sticky; and there are no packing, lighting, or burning issues. For me this is just a little bitey because I'm an eager puffer when I get something this tasty. It gives a mild nicotine hit and burns cleanly to the bottom leaving a whitish ash. No goop, no gurgle, no dottle; and your next bowl of burley will evict any flavor ghost that lingers in the bowl. I tried this in various briars, which were OK, but I highly recommend smoking this in a clay -- heavenly!

Reserve this guilty pleasure for those occasions when your usual tobacco genre seems to stop working. This provides a delightful change of pace for the tired palate. Quality stuff.

DeadMensPipes Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DeadMensPipes (38)

Satisfying, anytime smoke. Good with a morning cup of coffee. This would be an excellent "crossover" blend for an aromatic smoker wanting to switch to "English" or an English smoker wanting something to enjoy in mixed company. The lack of latakia means a pleasant, not cloying, room note and a smoothe, less spicy palate. It seems very moist in the bag, but burns nicely with few re-lights. No bite at all. The last few puffs, if you smoke all the way to the bottom, can be a little harsh, and you will scorch your briar, as I did, if you are not careful - but otherwise, a solid three-stars.

bob323 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bob323 (46)

Been a while since I have submitted a review...But, after smoking this off and on for the last year, I felt that it was time to add my own 2 cents...To me this is one of those classic 'desert island' tobaccos...Not marooned alone, but let's say marooned with a group divided equally of those who smoke non aromatics, aromatics and those who despise the weed altogether...This would be the choice to satisfy all...For the aromatic smokers this is a slightly sweet blend which most would find very pleasant...for the non aro smoker, this contains enough pure tobacco taste to satisfy especially with the virginias playing very nicely with the very tasty orientals (pity that there is no latakia, but remember that we want to satisy the greater number for the greater good)...And for the non smokers, the aroma is heavenly in case they wander too closely to a smoker...Being of the non aromatic persuasion, this is one great all day smoke which satisfys and at the same time gives no offence to any...would I buy it again?...Most definately...Would I reccomment to any and all?...Most definately...Four stars.

Pipe Used: various

Purchased From: smoking pipes

The Virginias are grassy with some citrus, and a touch of wood.The Eastern Carolina leaf offers citrus with a drop of honey and grass. The liberal amount of black cavendish provides vanilla, and often tones down the woody, smoky, light spice from the Oriental/Turkish. The strength is mild and the taste is in the center of mild to medium. Has very little nicotine. Won't bite or get harsh. Burns cool and clean at a reasonable pace with a consistent, uncomplicated flavor from start to finish. Leaves little moisture in the bowl, and needs few relights. Has a decent after taste that slightly lingers. An all day smoke.

KinnScience Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
KinnScience (30)

A pleasant all day smoke, this tobacco may not be for the die hard English lover. However, it is precisely what McClelland's intended it to be. A mildly sweet, and somewhat nutty, all day smoke with a touch of Eastern spice, and complete lack of bite. This is a very forgiving tobacco. There is little or no "cloy" to the component, it lights and burns with ease, and it makes for a marvelously cool and dry option for when one is multi-tasking and cannot attend to one's pipe as readily as if they were in sitting in their leather chair sipping a cup of tea (or scotch if you prefer). There seem to be some who do not like the blend. As for myself, this also is not really my style of preference for tobacco. But remember, we are talking about preference, not blend quality. Also, I believe we all have found that our tastes, over the years, will change. Thankfully we have a great multitude of blends to choose from, and we have what is IMO the best tobacco house in the world, right there in Kansas city. If you don't like this blend, So be it; that is the beauty of McClelland blends. One can always opt for a slightly different angle on the blend, and if you believe a touch of Latakia would add to this blend, then try 2045, or if you want a bit more Latakia, go for the 2040. If you prefer a more traditional English or simply want a lot more Latakia, you could try the 5110, or 5125. And those are just the bulks. There are many tin variations to choose from as well.

McClelland's doesn't miss much. They don't simply blunder along tossing in varied tobaccos and suddenly come up with something by accident. If a smoker had a preference for something different, they offer adjustments to a great many foundations of blends, for the smoker's enjoyment.

Pipe Used: BBB billiard,Cob,Radice billiard,Upshallbilliard

Age When Smoked: 4 yrs

Similar Blends: a bit of the "Frog", and a few other oriental w/ Cavendish components.

Bonneville Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bonneville (49)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Full Pleasant

Picked some of this up at the recommendation of my tobacconist (they call it "Orient Express". I'm a VA smoker, mostly. But this one caught my eye because of how unique it is. IT IS DELICIOUS. Don't understand the negative reviews here. There is a deep Cavendish flavor. but the Orientals add a really nice dimension to the sweet flavors of the Cavendish. This is a very unique blend that might be confusing to some. But I definitely appreciate it for what it is. Solid 3 stars.

Pipe Used: Rattray's Craggy Root

Age When Smoked: unknown

Purchased From: Beehive Cigars, Salt Lake City, UT

Very Mild Very Mild Mild Very Pleasant

UPDATE 12/30/14

After smoking this for a few years at a rate of about 4 oz per year, I've come to the conclusion that this rates a 4th star. Not because it's a classic or even in my top 30 tobaccos but because it accomplishes what few aromatics have...it provides a sweet aromatic taste and smells great in the room but it also has a nice oriental tobacco flavor that melds perfectly with the cavendish. This elevates it from Gooper status (a Gooper being a cavendish-based, all aroma no flavor blend that slurps as you smoke it and leaves puddles of nasty gunk in the bowl IF you are lucky and don't slurp it into your mouth and that leaves its horrible traces in your pipe forever!) to aromatic status (a blend that focuses on tobacco flavor while adding a non-tobacco flavoring. This is a Gooper without the goop and would be perfect for those that want a nice room note and also for those that want tobacco flavor. Well done, McClellands!

MINOR UPDATE 3/13/09

I smoked a bowl of this tonight and noticed something new. I finished and left the room for about half an hour. Upon returning, the remnants of the room aroma (still very noticeable) was decidedly Oriental rather than black cavendish aromatic in nature. Oh, and the oriental becomes more noticeable in the taste with a bit of drying out before smoking. Like many of the finest blends, it changes its character somewhat with some drying. Less "cased" aromatic and more oriental aromatic. Enjoy!

ORIGINAL REVIEW 12/19/08

The emphasis on the blend is "cavendish". It is an aromatic. Thankfully, it uses high quality leaf and is low in casing so it's not the goopy, wet smoke that aromatics often are. The oriental comes through as a wisp at various times but it is mostly the black cavendish that comes through, made lighter tasting by the virginia.

This is an aromatic for people who don't like aromatics. Light and lightly sweet, nice room and pouch aroma. Not high on flavor or terribly interesting as a nice VaPer would be, this tobacco is what it is and ain't what it ain't. This will certainly not be my all day smoke but it is probably the best quality aromatic I have ever smoked, and will be a continual if occasional companion.

Toytruck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Toytruck (1)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

After reading the other reviews it seems that many are reviewing this tobacco for what it is not rather than what it is. It is not a latakia blend and should not be downgraded for that. It is a mildly flavored oriental blend. It has a sweet flavor and aroma with hints of vanilla. I had received this a while back as part of a sampler package and avoided it because of many of the reviews. That was my loss. One evening a couple of weeks ago I decided to give it a try and was pleasantly surprised. This is not a drug store aromatic that leaves an artificial taste in your mouth. It is quality tobacco with a lightly sweet flavoring which does not overpower the taste of the oriental tobaccos. It also leaves a very nice aroma in the room that is most noticeable when you leave the room and return. I am leaning more toward this for an in-the-house smoke due to its very pleasing smell. This is not my favorite tobacco. (That would be McClelland's 2040 Cyprian Blend.) But it is a nice change of pace for a sweeter flavor and a pleasant aroma.

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

Why McClelleand calls this an Oriental mixture is beyond me. The pouch aroma is decidely that of an aromatic, neither particularly light nor heavy. Part of the aroma is vanilla, the rest eludes me. The flavor is a hybrid, Virginia with some milder Oriental (Basma or Smyrna perhaps) and a goodly dose of flavoring. Whether the addition is cased into the Cavendish, or addded as a topping is beyond my capability to determine, nor do I care to persue it. For me, not worth finishing the trial package.

On the plus side, for those looking for an upgrade from drugstore aromatics, this would be a good choice, as it burns cleanly, fairly dry and cool. The pipe remains clean, and very little aroma lingers.

Mild Very Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

I thought that I'd try a good aromatic in the hot weather. When my wife commented that it smelled great in the pouch and then in room aroma, I suspected trouble. Usually I'm smoking for my pleasure and not others acceptance of the smell. Although a nicely prepared mix ~ 50% red/brown VAs and Orientals and 50% black, the black cavendish or others in this blend are just too sweet for me and overpower the smoke from start to finish. However, those that prefer a stronger aromatic might enjoy this cool smoke without a hint of bite. Many black cavendish blends have tended to smoke wet for me but this one was fine. Dedicate a pipe to this blend since the flavors are imparted, linger and influence many subsequent smokes. I return to my norm of VA flakes and natural tobacco taste.

PipenGuitar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipenGuitar (15)
Extremely Mild Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I like the way this blend reminds me of Frog Morton Across the Pond. It's not as flavorful or as English-y but it's good enough to try. I don't think it's anywhere near as bad a drug store blend. Those leave horrible, horrible things in your pipe. This blend didn't leave much; just a bit of excess moisture. I suppose if one would smoke this out of a freshly opened bulk bag then perhaps it would leave some gunk. My 2 ounces came from an opened and almost empty bag which probably helped dry out the blend a bit.

This one keeps me hovering between 2 stars and 3. I kinda like it, but it's lacking depth. It has some depth, but not quite enough. It came wet and after sitting out for over 8 hours it was still mildly damp. That's as dry as it gets. The Black Cav imparts a vanilla note that mixes very pleasantly with the spice from the Orientals. I'm not convinced that all of the spice is natural. There seems to be some kind of spice in the casing. The Orientals also add a mild sour note that's contrasted by the sweetness from, I assume, both types of Cavendish. I get very little flavor from the Virginias. It's an odd blend. I've never smoked anything like it. I think due to the lack of depth it's closer to 2 stars than 3. If it had more I could easily give it that 3rd.

Mild in body. Mild to medium in flavor. Burns well in spite of the dampness. No bite, no harshness. A bit of a strange blend, but worth a try. It may suit your taste.

Pipe Used: MM Diplomat 5th Ave, MM Mark Twain

Age When Smoked: fresh bulk

Dov of the Galilee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dov of the Galilee (31)

This here blend is one that I could live with if I was stuck with only this one for the rest of my life! It has everything an all day smoke should have- long lasting flavor with out the bite or heavy odor, good burning and easily acquired. Many pipe shops carry this and put their own label on it so if interested ask for it by the mfg. number.

constantsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
constantsmoker (65)

You can't hit a home run every time, but this blend is not as bad as described elsewhere. The pouch aroma was a subtle lemony/spicey fragrance. Predominantly black Cavendish and Virgina, the Orientals do make their presence known, although faintly. The blend lights easily, burns evenly and doesn't bite the tongue. Room note was pleasant. In comparison to McClelland's other 2000 series bulk blends, 2050 comes up short, and perhaps its the absence of Latakia that disappoints. In any event, it's worth a try.

Sheldon Richman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sheldon Richman (11)

I am starting to think that smoking Orientals without latakia is the pipe-smoking equivalent of kissing your sister. While smoking 2050 and Arcadia, I find myself missing the latakia. Not very satisfying. Where's my Pirate Kake?

Pipe Used: Various

Age When Smoked: A few months old

Purchased From: Local tobacconist

Similar Blends: Arcadia.

crazy owl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
crazy owl (72)
Medium Very Strong Full Tolerable

First aboard I confess that I´m not an aro smoker and I did order this blend in a mistake with English Cavendish.So you know then my lack of objetivity.For me this blend is a grizzly crime of overwhelming casing on a splendid tobacco.So if you are an aro lover this is a paradise of fine stuff with a outstanding clove casing,be happy and enjoy it,for you is a clear 4 stars.But for the lovers of pure uncased leaf,supposed purity,this is a lonely star.Opinion and taste are,of course,very free.But IMHO is a little unfair and misleading to label No.2050 as a gently cased leaf-

Pipe Used: african meers

Purchased From: smokingpipes

Similar Blends: high quality aro´s.

Armeniandude Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Armeniandude (13)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

It's good. The first bowl wasn't, I was actually disappointed. It smells fresh and zesty and citrusy. I felt it came very moist and got bad tongue bite on the first bowl. I tried it last night after leaving it on my shelf for a few weeks and even added a small pinch of some drier blending Virginia I've had for a while and it seemed to help. I still felt it was too moist even after letting it set out for a while before packing but I didn't get a bite this time and was able to get the zesty citrus flavor and sweet aroma by sipping slowly.

I've had it sitting on my shelf for a few months now and I open the jar to take a sniff every once in a while but it's still very moist in my opinion.

Pipe Used: briar

Age When Smoked: few months

paulw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
paulw (52)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This blend was one of my first favorite english blends.It smelled great in the pouch, and it smoked great in any pipe that I had. The blend was a smokey sweet flavor and had a decent room note that didn't send my family running away from the smoke because I guess the lack of Latakia.

Pipe Used: briar meershaum

Age When Smoked: new moist pouch

Purchased From: The Humidor ltd.

Jacinto Cupboard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jacinto Cupboard (180)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Plenty of things happening with this genre busting mix. The Orientals contribute a pronounced spiciness: cloves and cinnamon and ginger. The flavours of the Va Cav were not so easy for me to understand. There is a faint sweetness, part of which must be natural to the Va and part of which has a vaguely butterscotch note. I don't doubt that other reviewers detected vanilla but I could not, beyond what the power of suggestion put there for me.

These seemingly contradictory notes interact surprisingly well, to me at least, tho clearly some reviewers take a different view. The overall profile is of a light and spicy mix, with a sour bias with some sweetness. There is a mustiness that develops in intensity as the smoke progresses that I am not entirely sold on; it borders on a stale sensation.

Burns easily and is a trouble free baccy.

Pipe Used: Lepeltier

sundruid Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sundruid (3)
Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I've been experimenting with many aros and mild english tobaccos and was curious on how this mostly oriental / natural cavendish would taste. I REALLY like English Luxury and also 1-Q. This blend has really little to no casing taste (may not have any... at all) but manages a spicy, toasty smoke that I wanted to just keep puffing on. Wonderful smoke for anyone looking to move a little away from aros while still getting a flavorful, warm toasty smoke with their pipe but staying away from the strong Latakia or heavy burley tastes.

Well.... are you an OTC smoker? Do you like nutty Burley based Cavendish or Prince Albert, Carter Hall style of American tobaccos ? Then I think you will like this blend. I personally find this a mild aromatic with maybe some chocolate, vanilla flavorings that overpower the Orientals but..... done well, no bite or goop. It's pleasant but not really my type. I Don't really want to bash this blend as many smokers would love this and at bulk prices.

Pipe Used: cob

Age When Smoked: one month

Purchased From: local

Similar Blends: OTC American.

Kunsan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kunsan (76)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

This is an interesting pipe tobacco that fills a gap in the market - an English style without any Latakia. For those who detest the smell or taste of Latakia, or for those who like Latakia but are aware that other people might not find the smell tolerable, this tobacco is a godsend. It has all the qualities of an English, but without Latakia.

I bought a 2oz sample because I was interested to try out such a tobacco. I'm one of those who find myself feeling a little self conscious smoking Latakia near other people, and this is particularly so in nearby coffee shops that have a smoking lounge or terrace where I'd like to be able to enjoy a meaningful smoke but without disturbing others with the pungent Latakia smell. I also wouldn't ever smoke Latakia in my home, but do occasionally smoke an aromatic indoors. Something a little stronger and more interesting would be welcome.

Having said all of this, I'm a little lukewarm about this McClelland blend. Yes, it has a slightly spicey Englishness but without much depth. There's a small amount of creaminess towards the end from the virginias, and a reasonably pleasant creamy aftertaste as well. But I didn't feel that I wanted to rush out and order this tobacco. That feeling might develop as I get near to the end of my current 2oz bag, but at the moment I'm thinking "hey, this is okay" rather than "wow, this is wonderful".

This is a perfectly okay smoke that fills a niche. The quality is good. For these reasons it deserves at least three stars. I do, however, feel that it lacks depth. I like the slightly spicey flavors, but miss the deep creaminess that is evident in some proper English blends. However proper English blends contain Latakia, which this blends deliberately avoids. So although it's not perfect and could do with more depth (IMHO) it is pretty much a fait d'accompli that if you want an English style but without the Latakia smells, this is just about the only tobacco that fits the bill.

Smoke_Ring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Raw Score =48

Rated Percentage = 80%

Comment = Smooth, Mild, good Flavor, a little zesty but not overpowering

Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

09/26/2004: A good flavored Oriental with too little punch to hold one's interest. Have used it to tone down other tobaccos that I find too flavored. Would probably make a good mix with a strong Virginia-Perique Blend.

11/27/2006 Update: The only one in this series I couldn't warm up to.

huffnpuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
huffnpuff (53)
Mild Mild Medium Tolerable

I got this at an ounce .Im glad i did not buy more.2050 is rather weird at first light the orientals peaked out then slowly goes dowm to a the more cavendish taste . For me the best part of this smoke session was in the middle of the bowl and after before it starts tasting ashy. My wife did not like this to much but tolerated it. the scent is a head scratcher I cant place the smell.but it is 50/50 for me. I will go on to find more tobaccs.

Darth 69 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth 69 (107)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I was a little suprised as to what this blend was really like as compared to it's label description. I thought it would be something like the green label line but without the latakia, boy was I wrong. This is more in the class like the China Black blends, a base of moist black generic-like cavendish with some oriental blended in. I was initially disspointed but have found some merit with this. There is some of that vinegary tang in the pouch aroma, characteristically McClelland which may be thier choice of preservative and anti-fungal agent as opposed to something like propylene glycol. This vinegary tang along with it's spicy herbal oriental componet produces an interesting aroma like cedar spice. I have grown to like this the more I smoke this but would be better if the black cavendished was replaced with a all virginia loose leaf stoved/cavendish base perhaps with a slight flavoring similar to the black cav.(light vanilla?) but drier. Captain Black smokers and the like might like this one as a change of pace thats' not to far off thier beaten path.

-Cautiously recommended