This is a soft and sweet, rich in light Orientals and Carolina tobaccos with less Latakia than No.2040.

Blended ByMcClelland Tobacco Company
Blend TypeOriental
Strength
Taste
2.9
KinnScience Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
KinnScience (30)
Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

Like many McClelland blends, this is a fine tobacco. I almost always smoke flakes or broken flake these days, but at the time I bought and cellared this, I had been searching, some years back, for an all day blend in rough or ribbon cut. This tobacco fits the bill perfectly.

I would consider this tobacco a "semi-aromatic". There are varied perspectives on what is an aromatic and what is not an aromatic and perhaps this review might be a good time to clarify. All tobacco has some type of flavor additive to it at some point during the process. If it did not, it would be tough to enjoy. Even the purest VA flakes have some initial form of casing applied to the leaves of the tobacco before it is pressed/heated. That said, there are often additional flavorings/aromatic ingredients of a wide variety added after the initial creation, and it is those types of additives to which most people refer to as "flavoring". There is another component that I would mention for a tobacco to fit into what I would consider a "full fledged" aromatic category. That being, a tobacco blend that consists mostly of inexpensive burley, the end product of such being formed mostly by added flavorings. More precisely, I would consider a "heavy" or "full fledged" aromatic to get most of it's noted attributes incidentally from the additives as opposed to the actual virtues within the leaf; such attributes would be fostered primarily via the innate qualities of the plant, along with the practice and method of the harvesting, drying/curing, and aging of the leaf. Sometimes quality VA's are added to an full aromatic burley tobacco, and naturally some VA's are cased in the way of a full aromatic, though I would suggest that VA's are not often cased as heavily as low quality Burley.

Regarding this tobacco, McClelland states that this is a VA, Oriental, Latakia blend. It makes no mention of Burley and prior to a phone call to confirm this, we shall assume there is no burley (though it would not surprise me if there were tobacco of the aforementioned burley in small amounts, cased beyond recognition). However, clearly this has both the components of an aromatic, combined with the qualities of a mild english blend and it makes for a very easy and enjoyable smoke. Latakia fans who desire a dominant "Lat" element should try the 2040.

1st year: Looking back on my little notes of nearly 5 years ago, I see the Initial smoking upon receiving the tobacco that the tobacco was a bit too moist for my tastes. Bulk tobacco tends to be comparatively dry if one is used to a tin, but there are times when, if purchased soon after the blending, it can be nearly as moist as a tin. I noted the Latakia a bit more significantly during the first year of smoking this blend. I had not tried any for the last 3 years, and now the Latakia is barely noticeable, but adds a component that is somewhat married to the orientals which is very pleasant.

aged 5 years: The blend upon initial light burned much easier, with only 2 or 3 relights. Used the upside down/Palm twist method for filling as opposed to the 3 step, and it works very well. The word for this tobacco blend is subtle. Just as it was 5 years ago when I started smoking it regularly for a year, there was no one aspect that overpowered the others. Though slightly less Latakia now aged, it has not disappeared so much as merged into the Va and oriental to create it's own aspect. This is a very cool and dry smoking tobacco, especially with the new way I filled the pipe (which seems to work perfect for this blend, though not so much for others). A delicate smokiness after the char light, which readily gave way for a leathery and woody layer, like a freshly cut hardwood tree. After several puffs, the VA sweetness came through combined with sandalwood and oriental spice. The aromatic component stayed present throughout the smoke, but was unobtrusive; a characteristic not found in most aromatic elements, until the last 1/8th of the bowl where the aro components seem to congeal to some extent, though not to the extent of a full aromatic (said aspect is the largest downside of most aromatics IMHO).

Overall a very excellent all day smoke for those who really don't like aromatics. It has, as mentioned, an aromatic component but it is kept to a minimum. If I were asked to improve upon the blend, I would ask for and even lower aromatic component to the blend, though at that point it would be nearly non-existent (which would suit me fine).

Compared to other McClelland blends, e.g. 5100, or 2020, this blend would be a 2 star in relation to my preference due to the aromatic component. But in an unbiased review, I give this tobacco 3 starts because it clearly stands high among the blends that are not quite aromatic, but have such a component. Additionally, it is so very perfectly balanced in it's other facets that I believe it earns the 3 stars. If not for that final 1/8th of the bowl, it would be a perfect balance, but there is not much one can do about that.

Pipe Used: Cavicchi 3/4 bent billiard.

Age When Smoked: 5 yrs

Similar Blends: frog morton, but with less latakia..

William H. Hardy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
William H. Hardy (76)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Okay, so I really like this tobacco. I ordered it because I was interested in it, mainly from other reviews and from a couple of people's suggestions. I have been interested in orientals for a while and thought this would make sense as a purchase. I am certainly glad that I did get this.

I was expecting something similar to an older English tobacco, like Presbyterian, Dunhill Standard Mixture, Squadron Leader. You know, an English with the orientals pushed a bit forward. And, let's clear a little bit up; some of the reviewers here on Tobacco Reviews think that an English is always a latakia powerhouse. This isn't the case, especially with some of the older blends, like the aforementioned. The older Englishes definitely contained latakia, but were not latakia dominant. At any rate, this tobacco actually surprised me. A reviewer stated earlier that there was a scent of cloves and sandalwood in this and I actually agree. 2045 also has a bit of a sweet topping, which I think may be either rum or vanilla (or both), that I enjoy. It isn't overpowering and doesn't last for the entire smoke.

I'm not often surprised by a tobacco, but this was a pleasant one. It could definitely be an all-day smoke, but I actually save it for occaisions that I know I'd really enjoy it. I can taste the Latakia, but it's more in an overtone fashion. The Virginias are there and the orientals definitely make their presence known(Does anyone know what kind of orientals they are? I'd be interested to find out), but there's a lot of intermingling and different flavors fading in and out. In truth, some would dislike this tobacco because isn't exactly the same every time. But that's okay with me. If you like something that's a little different, then this is the one!

EDIT (4/22/2016) - This tobacco, while good, has lost some favor with me. The topping gets to be annoying at times and I don't plan on re-ordering soon. I'm sure I'll revisit this, but it's not in my wheelhouse at the moment.

Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

A sample of #2045 was included with a tobacco order a year or so ago and in retrospect, I let it sit on the shelf far too long. I assumed it would be another typical tasting blend for this genre, but I was wrong.

#2045 is mysterious. It certainly has a "typical" Oriental taste, but there is an added top coating of some sort that I rather enjoyed. It burns off quickly though and settles into a somewhat soft yet sturdy smoke over the lower half of the bowl.

Because my sample was so dry, it burned quickly. Others here indicate it is quite moist right out of the tin. The Latakia presence is very subdued, allowing the taste of the Orientals and Virginia leaf to drive this bus. It has a sweet taste (in a natural sort of way) that I found to be quite good.

McClelland’s “2045 Oriental Mixture” has a pouch scent that would reflect its namesake. It also has a bit of a “clove like” smell although that may not be the correct comparison. After a bit of dry time, 2045 presents itself mildly in the pipe. I am not a huge fan of the term like “crossover” used when describing a blend that technically, in a pure sense is an aromatic. But I think “crossover” is a fitting description here. It is mild, lightly sweet, with a nice Oriental flavor. But it wouldn’t be my cup of tea. I think that 2045 is a great smoke for those looking to move on from aromatics toward English or Oriental blends. I also think that 2045 is a decent bulk offering, however when you consider some of the amazing and sometimes rare Orientals that McClelland has in some of their tinned blends, it falls to the lower end of the scale.

Medium to Strong None Detected Full Strong

I bought this in bulk after having a small sample pack. One mistake I made with it was to chop it up for an easier loading of the pipe. Big mistake! It ended up much stronger than I like. The tobacco is a little on the damp side as received. Transferring it to a carry around pouch should be all you need to dry it up for a good smoke. A wonderfull "English-Oriental" smoke. P.S....I don't get the McClelland "catsup" reference at all. There may be a hint of a vinegar overtone to these tobaccos when first opened, but nothing very strong. I would definately place this tobacco in my top-ten blends of all, maybe top five.

09/26/2004Update: I no longer smoke this much. I think I overdid the Oriental thing and find this to be a bit pedestrian now. A little too mono-flavored for me now. Still it is a quality Oriental that is avaiable in any quantity. For someone who enjoys this type of tobac, this could be your all-day smoke.

Update 11/27/2006: Good for a change of pace.

Jacinto Cupboard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jacinto Cupboard (180)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

My experience so far with McC's tobaccos is that their pricing structure is a very good indicator of the quality of tobacco you are going to get. This bulk offering is reasonable quality tobacco, well blended. But McC's bulk offerings are a long way from their premium tinned products. No. 2045 for example has none of the rich conditioning their premium Virginias display. The Orientals lack elegance, and I suspect suffer in supply chain, in comparison to premium offerings.

But it is what it is, a low cost bulk offering, not a premium product, that is still in a whole different league to typical OTC products.

2045 is a light English with (barely) enough Lat to provide a creamy cushion for what might otherwise be harsh Orientals. These Orientals have a hay and spice character and a somewhat barnyard aroma. The Vas here are muted. The flavour profile is on the acidic or sour side. It burns well to a fine ash.

I enjoyed this tobacco a lot, but it is certainly no champion. A solid 2 stars, 3 if you consider the price.

Pipe Used: Lepeltier

Pleasant is the word that stays in my mind while smoking this blend. Nice incense like notes from the Orientals with just a touch of sour. The Carolinas add a nice sweetness which I think is slightly enhanced by the topping, which to me tastes like a mild vanilla. The Latakia has just enough presence to be noticed throughout the bowl. This is a very smooth smoke and I can't help but say pleasant. Very pleasant. Better than 3 stars but not quite 4. Say 3.5.

Mild to medium in body and flavor. Needs drying time then burns well.

Pipe Used: MM Diplomat 5th Ave, MM Patriot

Age When Smoked: fresh bulk

Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

This is an oriental blend, top flavored with maple like aroma, sweetened and with some humidifying agents, generously added to keep it moist for 2 year, in opened jar, in my drawer.

The smoke is very smooth, sweet, elegant, nicely flavored with some topping which I find very pleasant, the dominant flavor is the Turkish, then comes the Virginia, the Latakia is alomost impossible to be detected.

I was very pleased with this blend and I would highly recommend it as for an introduction to English blends.

7formy1911 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
7formy1911 (37)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I loaded up an Irwin's Lovat about a week ago with the intent of smoking the 2045 that night. Well, it didn't happen and life got crazy as it tends to do and so a week later I finally got around to putting match to tobacco. Upon first light I was greeted with a very nutty and smooth puff of smoke with a background of spice (think Christmas spices) and a whiff of latakia. This is quite a revelation for me because typically orientals and I don't get along. Balkan Supreme and Red Rapparee are two I've smoked and just don't jive well with my tongue and throat. They were too acrid and it felt like somebody shaved the inside of my throat and threw after shave on it. Just a bit too much for me. I figured it would be the same with 2045 but thankfully that isn't the case. The smoke was quite smooth, flavorful, not overpowering and the orientals were not acrid at all but quite sweet all while the latakia is quite in the background giving a nice smokey undertone. Tongue bite was pretty much non-existant except for puffing a little hard on the relights. I'm also quite glad I let the tobacco dry out for a week. It seems quite wet and takes a while to dry but to be honest I think it helps the smoke. There was a bit of wetness in the heel but for the most part it smoked down with only a couple of gurgles which were my fault for too rapid of a cadence. Nothing a pipe cleaner can't handle. The description of soft, sweet and rich certainly are applicable to this blend. I quite enjoy it and can certainly recommend this to anyone both new to pipe smoking and veterans as well. If you're looking for a lat bomb go elsewhere but if you would enjoy a sweet, very slightly smokey tobacco that has a rich flavor then this will work out perfectly for you.

UPDATE 3/22/10: This blend has lost favor with me. The topping seems to be too much and the constant wet heel has become a nuisance. There are better blends out there but the price does balance that out a bit. Somewhat recommended and if it works for your palette and pocket book then I would stock up on it.

Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant

I only had a small sample of this blend but will get more on my next tobacco order. I find it an interesting change from my normal straight VAs, especially in hot weather. A mild, soft taste results in an enjoyable, but not an all day smoke for me. After meals, I prefer something stronger. The orientals' overtones are balanced with just a hint of latakia. However, the room aroma was complemented by non-smokers which has not been the case for me with other blends with a higher % of latakia. Easy to light and keep lit. A smooth, cool smoke without a hint of bite. I think that this one will be quite forgiving of varied packing and smoking techniques and look forward to my next bulk delivery.

Light brown to black with a distinct aroma of cloves in the bag (1 oz sample). Some light oriental aroma in the background. Dissecting this, I believe some of the black tobacco is Cavendish, as there is too much black and too little latakia to back it up. Further, the taste clearly has an aromatic component.

In the pipe, this is an oriental blend with a mellow spiciness, a spot of rich tangy Virginia, a smaller dollop of latakia and that clove-like essence. It's not particularly a sweet blend in the sense of citrus or sugar, but I would not be surprised if there truly is a clove flavoring here, as it's quite noticeable. The constituent tobaccos add some body and the whole concoction has an exotic air to it. There is some complexity but it's tight rather than expansive. The latakia was light but it added some much needed smoke and dryness. This struck me as a tobacco that would wear me out over time and is best smoked as an occasional aperitif. But I prefer McClellands own Frogmorton On The Town for this, as it's more cohesive and less aromatic. This seemed more of an overt crossover. Good but I'd like to try it without the casing.

SunriseBoy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SunriseBoy (16)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Just had my first taste of this and it's a welcome change to the Va. that I had (Gold Block)...that was a very unpleasant trial. And has really turned me away from just about anything Va., though I'm sure I'll probably have a crack at another type down the track somewhere. Thought the overall smoke was enjoyable I was quite disappointed that it had so much bite. I really had to ensure sipping long and slow. Great smell. Highly recommended.

As an aside, I've taken the liberty to include a link to the crew from whom I bought it. Rob really looks after his customers; but the reason I've included it is because people in the US, UK and Europe don't believe we are paying $65 plus for 2 ozs/50 grams. Check it out: https://www.tobaccoblends.com.au/shop/tobacco/pipe-tobacco/oriental-mixture-2045/

Pipe Used: Corn Cob...what else!

Age When Smoked: Unknown

Purchased From: Tobacco Blends in Oz.

Kerdy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kerdy (43)

This was my first Oriental tobacco that I know of. I certainly had a different idea in mind of what it would be like. It was a nice surprise. I really enjoyed this!

The sample I received was very moist when I loaded it into the pipe. Thought this would turn out to be a real problem, but after about 3-4 relights; the moisture level was not a real problem. Seemed to burn a little uneven because of it, but didn't go out.

Very clean tasting to me. Smelled and tasted like what I imagine people used to smoke all the time. I enjoyed it very much!

I may have to see if this comes in bulk and stock up on some. (Its a joke! I know it comes in bulk&)

constantsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
constantsmoker (65)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

For the piper looking to ease his/her way into VA/Latakia/Oriental blends, #2045 is a good starting point. The Latakia 'presence' is reserved and does not overpower the Orientals and VA in this blend. Pretty much what you'd expect from something called 'Oriental Mixture'. I can only characterize the aroma from the pouch as an appealing spice and fruity combination. The moisture level was fine, and the tobacco lit up promptly and burned evenly. An enjoyable smoke. I would suggest a sampling of all of McClelland's 2000-series blends to gain an appreciation of the blender's craft and experience a surprising range of tobacco tastes.

Darth 69 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth 69 (107)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is way too moist for an english mixture.Too much of whatever hygroscopic compund McClelland is using. This is such a disgrace to do this to such a tobacco. Almost by definition english blends are supposed to be dry. However it has characteristic McClelland english flavors but the moister level mutes everything, especially the latikia. I don't no what the point is to smoking this inferior product.