This is unique in that it begins as a very light blend of fine Eastern Belt Lemon leaf and cutter grade tobaccos which are transformed through pressure, aging and light stoving into beautiful dark pungent cake.

Blended ByMcClelland
Manufactured ByMcClelland
Strength
Taste

Dougster Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dougster (31)
Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

[updated 04/08/2006] I had "canned" some small 250ml Ball Platinum jelly jars with 2035 on 8/05 using the microwave tobacco vacuum sealing method, and I just cracked a jar open today on 4/8/06, about eight months of aging so far. I have several more small jars still in the aging drawer.

Well, this tobacco certainly hasn't gotten any worse through the eight months of aging. I gave it a five star back then, and its better now than it was then, so it is still a five star. It seems a bit more complex, slightly smoother, but it still has the great flavor of 2035. It doesn't taste like DarkStar exactly, but it is better in my opinion. The flavor has apparently intensified, because in my earlier review I said that this wasn't that rich in flavor, but this jar I just opened is a flavor powerhouse.

2035 is great stuff. Its good fresh, and it gets better after a while if you can cellar it. I don't see how you can go wrong with this tobacco if you like stoved virginias. Buy a bunch, smoke some as is, and cellar some for later for a special treat. I can't say that this is an "all day" smoke, because it isn't, but you will probably want to smoke at least a bowlfull per day for a nice break from whatever else you have been smoking,

If you haven't tried 2035, you really should, its a pretty cool baccy. The black rubbery flakes are pretty neat and the flavor punch really improves with a bit of aging. Five stars before, five stars now, simply because I can't go any higher. This is one of the best baccys in the world IMHO. Well worth trying a bag of it!

[old review]

For a virginia, this is exceptionally smooth. The flavor is nice, but its not overly rich. If you are looking for a knockout punch of virginia flavor then this probably isn't it, but if you like more of a subdued flavor then you might consider giving this a try. It is fairly cool burning, has a rather mild flavor, and is pretty easy to puff away without needing any special attention to smoking technique. The predominant flavors are a strong creamy sweetness and somewhat malty or caramel character. Overall its good tasting and the flavor is lighter and much sweeter than one would expect from such a evil looking black flake.

I've upgraded this to a four star, as I think its a premium example of what a dark stoved virginia should be. For whatever reason, I actually like 2035 better than Dark Star, to me this just tastes better. This is a good pleasant smoke and a great value at the bulk price. I bought a bunch of this stuff after evaluating an 8oz sample and loaded it up in some jars to age.

This is the best dark stoved virginia flake that I have tried thus far. Give it a try sometime and experience one of McClelland's best bulk tobaccos. This and 2010 are my personal favorites from McClelland so far, and mixing the two together is also worthwile for a slightly different experience on occasion.

A stoved virginia that hasn't been dried out is going to tend towards being a pain to keep lit. Dark Star, Black Virginia, Dark Fragrant, etc... all those cause issues unless they're fully dried. The more matches you use, the more the inherent subtle flavors become dulled and turn harsh. So the secret is in drying this out prior to loading. I tried and tried with Dark Star but could scarcely seem to get it right... but when it was right, it was excellent. However, my battle with Dark Star kept me from trying this one for a few years.

On a pipe forum, I was told to microwave this for 10 seconds. Good advice. Being me, I experimented with cook times and 10 seconds was perfect. It dried out the blend but didn't sweat out the flavor. From that point, I got nothing but a nice, spicy, mildly sweet and complex blend with highly nuanced flavors, similar to what I get from Royal Cajun Ebony. Not much nicotine here, either. I can't compare this to Dark Star since it's been so long since I smoked it but I have heard that this is DS without the additional aging. But I ordered some more of both of these for further experimentation. At any rate, if you dry this out, rub it out fully and take your time with it, allowing it to smolder but not burn, you'll be rewarded with a mixture of spicy and sweet and sort of a creamed coffee taste. Very nice! Not a world beater but definitely worth a shot if you prepare it properly.

KinnScience Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
KinnScience (28)

DNF is a pressed and lightly stoved VA flake similar to Dark Star. The tobacco is of good grade VA, and the process has rendered a smoking experience that is unique in some aspects to smoking other VA flakes. The pressure and stoving allows the flake to impart a greater level of sweetness that is quite mild in the delivery, with little tongue discomfort. There is a natural and somewhat citrus flavor combined with a vanilla essence that is achieved without additives, and it is quite detectable on the palate as well as in the aroma. The flavor is wonderful.

The drawback may be the need for relights, and additional puffing which can result in slight discomfort to the mouth if such is not checked with patience and good smoking practice. I have smoked this as a folded flake, and completely rubbed out and it still remains a challenge to keep lit. I have aged it for over 3 years, set out overnight to dry, and still the flake remains a challenge to smoke without several relights. However, the patience and extra time it takes to smoke this flake is worth the trouble, in my opinion as there are some unique and very pleasant aspects to the flavor it imparts.

As one post already mentioned, it is not an all day smoke, but one that can be enjoyed while relaxing and while reveling in the handling of your pipe and tobacco. It is not a strong smoke, so those looking for a milder experience should find that it suits them. For those who enjoy sweet flavor but abhor the cloying sweetness that comes from aromatics, this flake will certainly make you smile. It loses one star for the difficulty in keeping an even burn, but the flavor is 4 stars all the way.

Pipe Used: Castello

Age When Smoked: new and also again in 3 years

Similar Blends: Dark Star.

Paul S. Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paul S. (5)

I was very excited to finally try this one. The flakes are very dark, oily, moist and smell of liquorice and sour vinegary notes. You get the slightest hint of sweet virginias and some spices, but the aroma is just dominated by the pungent sourness. I absolutely love it. I smoked this rubbed down in my Savinelli Hercules 803 EX Canadian. On the charring light, it was very sweet on the tongue as well as very mild, without much of a lingering after-taste. Though, after a bit of smoking that liquorice taste crept into the finish, and a slight spiciness/fruitiness came into the draw. About half way down the bowl the tobacco became a tad more stout and rounded, leaving the brighter flavour profile behind, but remaining mellow and smooth to the end. The burn was a little temperamental throughout, needing quite a few relights (especially near the end), but as stated earlier, it was very moist. Overall, This is not at all what I was expecting going into this tobacco judging by the aroma and appearance! But a nice, mellow, and mild smoke nonetheless. I would recommend you give this one a try!

Pipe Used: Savinelli Hercules 803 EX

Denevei Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Denevei (58)

Some say that this is a bulk version of Dark Star. I personally can tell some differences, though there are a LOT of similarities as well. Both are dark, stoved Virginias. Both have a wonderful spiciness to them. The flakes of 2035 are much thicker and heavier than those of Dark Star, and more difficult to rub out. 2035 will drastically benefit from a few months of aging, and a few years will really make it special, while Dark Star, though it ages well, also smokes like a dream from a new can.

2035 is a pretty moist tobacco, and as I mentioned the flakes are thick. I generally allow them a little time to dry a bit, but unlike Dark Star, which I find rubs relatively easily, I like to use sharp scissors to cut the 2035 flakes into little cubes, and THEN rub them a bit. Packing this tobacco is also a little tricky. For me, it seems best to sort of crumble it into a bowl, pack very gently, then crumble a bit more in. You don't want to pack this stuff at all tightly! Not a lot fluffs up on the charring light, and it might take a couple of extra matches to really get a good burn going. But it's worth the trouble.

The flavor of the tobacco is a little thin right at first, but very quickly rounds out, with a strong, rich overtone and a couple of different undertones; one that is nicely spicy and one that reminds me of raisins. As I said with Dark Star, though, the raisin taste works!

2035 burns slowly, and I've yet to experience bite from it. Sold in bulk, it goes for a good price, making it an extraordinary value. At that price, I'd highly recommend buying at least a pound, some Ball jars, and storing most of it for aging.

And, by the way, I really love this tobacco mixed half and half with 5115.

Montague Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Montague (32)

McClelland?s Dark Navy Flake (No. 2035) is a bulk, dark stoved Virginia flake similar in many respects to McClelland?s Dark Star but not nearly as refined.

The pouch aroma is very pleasing with a dark, natural tobacco odor. This odor is reminiscent to the smell of Worcestershire sauce. Dark Navy Flake is said to begin as a bright Eastern Belt Lemmon leaf and cutter grade tobaccos. This flake is dark black in color, with only slight hints of lighter brown shades showing through on some of the flakes.

The cut of Dark Navy Flake is a medium long flake cut and is rather thick. This tobacco is quite stubborn to rub out, and packing also takes certain effort. The moisture of Dark Navy Flake seems to be at the root of this blend?s downfalls. The flakes are deceptively moist and the excess moisture becomes apparent upon rubbing out and smoking. An extensive amount of drying is necessary for this tobacco blend.

Dark Navy Flake tends to resist being lit and its burn is medium slow and somewhat uneven. The ash appears as a mixture of a gray/black ash and dottle. The excess moisture limits the ability of Dark Navy Flake from burning to the bottom of the bowl. An unfortunate amount of tar or resin usually accumulates at the bottom of the bowl. The room note is enjoyable and has a pungent, dark, and true tobacco quality.

The flavor of Dark Navy Flake is rich, naturally sweet, and has very slight hints of spice and tang. Although this blend?s taste is enjoyable, it is not as complex as many other stoved Virginia flakes. The bite of Dark Navy Flake can be substantial at times. Again, this can be attributed to the ever-present excessive moisture. A medium smoke is given off by this tobacco.

Dark Navy Flake, simply stated, is a younger and less refined version of its counterpart Dark Star. The price difference between the bulk blend Dark Navy Flake and the premium tinned Dark Star blend is not enough to outweigh the negative characteristics of Dark Navy Flake. Aging, correctly done, would probably transform Dark Navy Flake from a mediocre tobacco into a great tobacco.

Mild to Medium None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

If you like the bitter flavor of dark pressed VAs, or just want to discover what it's like, this flake could be for you. It's pretty monochromatic, so you had best like what it has to offer. It's a somewhat creamy bitterness, with a lot of flavor and not a large amount of N, and it lights and burns well.

Pipe Used: various briars

Age When Smoked: newly purchased

Purchased From: pipes & cigars

H Gillman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
H Gillman (32)

This is somewhat underrated. To the new smoker it might appear off putting due to its hard black flakes and chunks. The nose is smokey with minute sweet notes. After several manners of smoking, I found that hand rubbing, leaving open over night then gravity feeding to be the most effective means. Feed, char, tamp and light gives me a single light smoke. The mellowness and cool smoke are thoroughly enjoyable. The mild smokiness is a delight. No tongue bite. I love this flake. The only shortcoming is the hardness of the flakes. It makes it a chore to hand rub evenly. But I'll put up with hard rubbing when the end product is a delightful mellow smoke.

Pipe Used: Peterson's, MM cobs et al

Age When Smoked: New bulk

Purchased From: Jades smokers corner

Caripu Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Caripu (11)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Received this week , I smoked two pipes of this stuff , with quite disparate results between them.

The first one, in briar pipe, maybe not the most appropriate of which I have to smoke a flake of Virginias. Result: a flat smoking, tarry and totally bland. A weed to forget, apparently. Second smoking, into a clay pipe jus arrived. What a difference!! A tasty smoke, spicy, creamy and with a clear evolution going down the bowl. A snuff to repeat purchase.

The visual impression when opening the bag that comes the bulk, could not be better. Strips of a flake that looks like it was broken glass, chopped unevenly, with edges that could be said almost sharp, and of a deep black and bright, with a oily texture. The flake prettiest I've seen so far. It worths to stay a while looking, touching and enjoying its presence and texture.

The good feeling that their appearance has left in us comes in handy to tackle the next step before the smoke: the load and lighting. The 2035 is pretty damn hard in that aspect. The sheets are quite reluctant to get into strands, on the contrary tend to break (again we return to the glass) despite a significant degree of humidity and "break" like we would cut in very irregular cubes. So I loaded the first pipe and the ignition was a nightmare and light maintaining a pain. Forced to puff hard, the smoke was a disaster. We know the Virginias have to smoke them "cool " to not lose the nuances and subtleties. The 2035 I think is particularly sensitive to this phenomenon, and as we go a little over the smoked ruins temperature, providing monochrome and tarry taste .

Second run. Double round of grinding. Thed pipe lights better and it takes less work keep it going, although it is not a bed of roses. In any case sufficient to smoked at a rate slower, allowing cold smoked. 2035 In this case the range of developed aromas is far more generous and deep, with hints of roasted malt, nuts, spices, earthy nuances, bread and a nice mild sweetness . In the latter part of the bowl almost have sworn to be smoking a vaper, for certain phase spicy and "hot" going through the mixture, very similar to that provided by the perique .

Taking care with the speed is a very very nice snuff. It's not the most I like from McClelland, but I 'll buy more to age and see how it evolves.

Loads soft n-vitamine, or maybe soft - half as much. Medium bodied, smooth, pulling through at the end. A stuff recommended for all day, though it can get a bit boring if overused. NOT for beginners and "puffers" in any way.

Purchased From: www.4noggins.com

Wiseguy1982 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wiseguy1982 (23)

McClelland Dark Navy Flake

Tin Note - McClelland scent

Appearance - dark brown almost black broken flake

Texture - Very dense, fairly moist

Packs well as most flakes. On my first bowl, I allowed no drying time which was a huge mistake. My mouth paid dearly for it. It comes way too moist. I microwaved the rest for 10 seconds after seeing the successful posts pertaining to it. The second attempt was much better. I was tasting a lot of sour notes mixed with general VA flavor. I still had to deal with a good amount of relighting. Perhaps another nuke will fix it. As it stands now, this is too much of a hassle to remain in my rotation. It isn't a bad tobacco by any means, I just like to smoke more than I like to prepare.

scottyspipesebay Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
scottyspipesebay (25)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Tolerable

Bulk No.2035 Dark Navy Flake: Great raw note: sweet with figs, apricot and fresh cut mahogany, and yes, white vinegar. The room note is...undefined. Bland. No character, just smoky...something. Regardless, I love good Black Cavs, so for now, it is worth experimenting with. It's slightly sweet and even, with a nice woody nose, so I like that. I've read quite a few authors struggling with the prep. Suggestion: Do not microwave this. It is a mistreatment of fine tobacco, and defeat the entire effort that the blender intended for the smoker. You will only serve to change the character of the cake, not to mention the flavor. If for some reason you're in a big rush; use a good pair of sharp scissors and do a cube cutting; lay the cubes onto a paper towel for about a little while, then do a finger rubbing, and if it starts to crumble, it's ready to smoke. Drop the cubes in and light them up as is. Better yet, do the right thing and leave it alone. Let the cake dry for a good while on your tabletop. You'll know when it's ready because it will break up naturally. DON'T RUB THE HELL OUT OF IT. Pull it apart from the sides. As with all Virginias, the sugars will burn too quickly and you'll get tounge bite because the sugar converts to acid. The less you work it, the better the result on the palate. I used to mush, smash and over rub flakes and cakes in an attempt to create and meld. NO. When preparing and blending, let chemistry do the work. Of course this is not always the case, but as a general rule, I have found that prep and blending is a fine art of adjustment, and should never be a forceful thing.

Try it as a blending agent. Play around with it as I have. Light VA's, Turkish, other Cavs, Lats, Orientals. It's best in smaller amounts as a mellowing cutter. Added to strong ropes/twist it works well, too. As a stand alone, it's a bit one dimensional.

yinyang Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
yinyang (45)

After having a shall we say, interesting, experience with a tin of Dark Star, I decided to grab a quarter pound of 2035 for comparison. Similar, very similar. DS has the edge in sweetness and spice, but 2035 is cheaper, and doesn't have copious amounts of vinegar to its nose. I gave Dark Star three stars here already, mainly due to the difficulty I had in figuring it out. Four ounces later with Dark Navy Flake and I'm still learning the best way to prepare and enjoy these damnable flakes. Normally my ADD personality would chalk these up as a waste of time, but when either one is 'on', boy howdy, they are a delight! I'm of a mind that with more experience, DS and DNF will both become familiar friends of mine. At last I hope so.

Three stars...hopefully with a fourth to be added soon.

sirchud68 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
sirchud68 (43)
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

Good Lord! Beef jerky anyone? Talk about a thick, pungent flake. This stuff just mesmerizes me. I love to stare at it in my Mason jar. I've just tried my first bowl of 2035 and must truly reserve judgment till I've smoked the entire jar. I will say that I'm mainly an English smoker but have a hankerin' for change from time to time. This sort of reminds me of Peterson's Irish oak, though it's been awhile since I've smoked that and it might just be my imagination. It sure smells like a McClelland's tobacco. As of right now I'll say I'm liking it.

Update: O.K., I've mainly been smoking Englishes this winter. Hell, that's all I've really been smoking for the last year. So when our shop started carrying other McClelland blends other then the Frogs, I had to try. I wasn't sure about 2035 at first but after going through my jar over the last couple of weeks and letting my mouth adjust, I have to say " oh yeah, I remember how great tobaccos are other then the English ones." This stuff is sweet in that wonderfully natural way. A solid, mild Navy flake that I recommend completely. Enjoy!

al1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
al1 (58)
Mild None Detected Mild Tolerable

This is good stuff. I agree that it is very much like dark star. Not quite as sweet or flavorful though. Probablly this aged a few years would equal dark star.

Pouch/tin aroma is dead on exactly that of southern VA sweet homemade pickles my granny taught me to make. With Sauers pickling spice (smell those cloves!). Vinegar, sweet and spicy all at once and damn good. Oooooh this is twangy smelling stuff. If you never smelled that type of pickle maybe you think I am crazy- I would not blame you, but if you are from southeast Va I bet you know what I mean.

I would buy this again when it is gone and age some too. I like dark star too but this is real close to it and the bulk price is good although I noticed the prices just went up a bit recently.

I like to mix some of this in with bright virginias to "round the edges" sometimes. This is not an everyday or all day smoke for me but it is nice to have it on hand for when the mood strikes. Put a small pinch in a bowl of #27 mc va and you have a real treat.

Pipemanuk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipemanuk (76)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

As many others have said...this isnt quite Dark Star but to my mind it stands very well on its own.

I/ve smoked about 1lb now and have some more on order to store and savour. It certainly improves quite quickly in jars...I've noticed a richer flavour as I progress through my present supply but I am sure theres much better to come.

It's rich, dark fruit laden taste is just wonderful; it smells so good you almost feel like eating it...I could sit and sniff the jar for ages and I've felt no tongue bite either...but then I've learnt to smoke it gently through experience I might add!

Definitely one of my favourites and well recommended. As an aside I can quite see where the previous reviewer was coming from when he said that he was finding a salty taste as well.

Altogether a fine fine tobacco.

Darwin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darwin (101)

01/06/08 I was smoking a bowl of aged 2035 and re-reading my 2003 review and I wanted to add/correct a few things. First, I still enjoy 2035 very much. I am now smoking 2035 that has been aged more than 3 years (sealed in Mason jars with paraffin) and it only gets better and better. I find the more I smoke 2035 the more the taste grows on me. Or perhaps, the more the taste grows on me the more I smoke it. And when I think I only paid $100 for 5 lbs. it seems like quite a bargain, too. I can still find it for about $150 for 5 lbs. now, so it's still a good deal.

In my '03 review I refer to sweetness a lot, however now I taste more of a salty taste (in a good way). The flavors are pretty deep and rich with more bass than treble. And boy does it become smooth! Absolutely no hint of tongue bite, which is pretty remarkable for a McClelland Virginia! I often try to make it bite by pulling really hard for a few puffs. All I get is a burst of smooth, rich, and tasty flavor. Still, slow breath smoking is the way to go with 2035. Over the years I have altered the way I prepare 2015 for smoking. After aging anyway, there is no need for drying. The dark black flakes come out of the jar at a perfect packing and smoking humidity. I simply roll a ball and stuff it into my pipe as made popular by Buck on ASP. I will rub out a little tinder to layer the top. It does take a few matches to get it going, but it then burns extremely well and re-lights are a snap with a Zippo.

I changed my strength rating from "mild to medium" to "medium", and my taste rating from "medium" to "medium to full".

07/09/03 For the record, the sample I'm reviewing was aged in a Mason jar for one year. It's the end of about a half pound that I've been smoking for the last year. Of course, 2035 is a dark stoved Virginia that is sold in bulk form. Some say it's the same as Dark Star; I'm not sure.

I didn't need to rub this bowl out, because it's already broken due to the length of time it's been in the jar. It lit with one match and I tamped and re-lit. The flavor is sweet and mild; I'd call it a delicate sweetness. Sometimes it's so mild that I have a tendency to over-puff. The trick for me is to take long, slow draws. This way I don't burn my tongue and I can taste the subtle, sweet Virginias. Towards the middle of the bowl, the flavor increases. This is where 2035 really gets good. Mid-bowl, 2035 is one of the best tobaccos I've ever smoked. The sweetness builds through the bowl and finishes rich and tasty.

Along with 2010 and 2015, this is one of the great McClelland bulk tobaccos. The only downside to this blend is that it can be difficult to manage. It comes rather moist and needs to be dried a bit.

Jaybee Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jaybee (76)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I really like this tobacco and when I hit the "zone" there are none better. It's a bit problematic in that the preparation is laborious and my tastes reacts very differently from smoke to smoke. Still it's a keeper and I try it out at least twice a week when I'm fully relaxed.

At this year's Kansas City Pipe Show, I was told by the lady selling tobacco at the McClelland's table that 2035 Navy Flake is not stoved nearly as long as Dark Star, and that is why most people find it to be fuller in strength and not quite as sweet in taste. I concur.

I like to rub out my flakes and, like Dark Star, this one requires work. Also like Dark Star, this one burns poorly and needs constant relighting, even when dried out a bit.

It is an enjoyable flake when lit and seemed to be at its best when consumed in a smaller pipe.

tonyg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tonyg (103)

I compared 18 month aged Dark Star with 18 month aged 2035. While similar, it is my considered opinion that 2035 is a superior blend. It lights better, burns better and tastes more flavorful. While I won't toss out what I have left of Dark Star, I won't be purchasing any more.

If you enjoy 2035, be sure to put some away for ageing. You will be in for a real treat.

Out of the tin, it is difficult to light, and because of the moisture content, will rarely burn to the bottom of the bowl. One solution is to let it dry out. In doing so, much of the flavor is lost. My solution, is to dry out just a pinch to fill the bottom of the bowl and do the same to the top. If you like stoved tobacco, this is a must try.

Wonderful! And a bargain to boot!

Ian Weeks Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ian Weeks (36)
Mild Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

Stand this Flake next to Darkstar and you?d have yourself a Doublemint commercial. I for one cannot tell one from the other, though the description of Darkstar is different:

?This tobacco begins as Bright Yellow, sugary top grade Virginia and Carolina leaf. Through careful triple aging, pressing and stoving, it becomes rich, cool and dark. A spicy aroma.?

I detect the same dark stoved rich body and sweet taste that fits the VA profile of a dark stoved VA Flake.

The tins of 2035 that I have are from 1993, and here we are going into 2006- so this blend has really had some time to mellow. Believe you me- this is a flawless smoking experience.

As far as bite, these tins that I have been smoking have none- the newer bulk version very well might- I cannot say.

Highly recommended!

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)

Appearance: Small flakes, quite thick and leathery. Very dark brown, almost black, with a few lighter specks evident.

Aroma: Rich stoved Virginia aroma, with a trace of the McClelland ?vinegar? present initially.

Packing: Very difficult to rub out as it feels like a cross between leather and beef jerky. Maybe it?s supposed to be chewed? The best compromise for me was to just break it up into small irregular pieces. It was way too thick to attempt a ?sausage? style packing.

Lighting: Even when somewhat dried, it was very slow to light: sometimes requiring three matches to get a good coal on top.

Initial flavor: Oddly enough, the initial flavor was all high notes. There was no initial depth of flavor (middle and low notes), onlythe sharp tingly sensations that I associate with lemon Va. This persists for several minutes

Mid-bowl: It does settle down to a more satisfactory range of flavors, with fairly good interplay of layers. There is finally some of the depth and richness I expect in a Va. The tobacco burns cool and dry (mostly), but there is always a brightness or sharpness noticeable. The ash is a typical gray color.

Finish: I am usually unable to smoke this all the way to the heel, leaving some some dottle to get rid of. Mostly, it just won?t stay lit as moisture and tar accumulate in the heel.

Summary: Similar to Dark Star, but not as refined or well aged. Even at bulk prices, not a good value.

This is very similiar to Dark Star with less quality. The strips look identical and are just as hard to rub out. With some extensive drying however, this is a passable stoved virginia. A little harsher and less flavor than DS, it is a bargain if you smoke alot of DS. I only smoke DS once in awhile for a treat however, and so will continue to buy the better stuff.

WxGuy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WxGuy (95)

I would take exception to the statement that #2035 is Dark Star in bulk. If it is, then McC has a problem with blending a consistent product. I have a goodly sample of #2035 that has been cellared for well over a year in a well sealed jar, and a tin of Dark Star that has been opened about 3 months.

Both were too damp to begin with. The DS has smaller flakes, slightly darker, and is sweeter and richer. The #2035 seems flatter tasting, slightly faded Dark Star. Kind of like smoking DS through a filter.

I will continue to get my Dark Star fix from the real thing.

RebelPipester Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RebelPipester (12)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

A fellow pipe smoker gave me a pouch of this stuff. The first time I tried this I found it one dimensional and just plain dark. The thought went through my mind, "why is this so special".

Then six months later I crumpled this up into my favorite Virginia smoking pipe (Wilmer Extra Grade A). This became a sweet deep Virginia that I couldn't put down. I smoked this from top to bottom enjoying it the whole way! Darn the torpedo's it was the last of the bag!!!

My suggestion is to can this up without a vacuum for a year and give it a whirl! It smokes cool and slow and finishes clean. 2035 is an excellent smoke for the experienced Virginia Flake smoker.

manno Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
manno (36)
Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Nothing close to my idea of either a navy flake or a dark virginia pressed tobacco. After a lot of work getting the wet and adhesive product to light, I seemed only to taste hot air. No discernible tobacco flavor either good or bad. Strange and disappointing, especially since the name and appearance promise nothing to this flake lover but rich satisfaction. Sadly not. The only real taste came at the last 1/8th and then it was quite bitter and dottle-like. BTW, tried at least ten bowls at different times before this review to see if perhaps my tongue was just having a "bad hair day". Others obviously like it, but few tobaccos meet with unanimous support or denigration.

Pipe Used: peterson pokers; stanwell featherweights

Age When Smoked: 1 year

DavidP Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DavidP (22)

Interesting stuff! Once you get a good smoke going off of this you get a full dose of fermentation flavors and aromas. I'd describe it like fermented hay, with the sour parts resembling sauerkraut or rhubarb.

Mine arrived way too wet smoke, so I let the whole 2oz dry out for a few days until the flakes felt dry but were still pliable. For some reason rubbing it out make it easier to smoke but make it loose the nice sour flavors. I've had more luck compressing a wad of flakes into a cylinder and then shoving that down into a cob as in step 2 of the Frank method.

The good Rev. Rizzo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The good Rev. Rizzo (22)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Unnoticeable

If you like it dark, and I do..... This is an ok choice at best. I managed to go through two ounces of this but it wasn't a race to do so like other tobaccos I like. It's a nice light, pleasant first few puffs, goes through the bowl in a decent manner, leaves nothing after it's gone. Not even a little stand out. I love the prep work involved in cakes and such so that interaction may have been the best part. I'll buy again maybe, maybe not.

Smoke_Ring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Burn = 6

After Taste = 7

Raw Score = 42

Rated Percentage = 70%

Comment = Smooth, * Ketchup Pouch Note, Good Flavor, lots of BTU's needed to ignite, a little After Taste

* Foot Note: McClelland famous "Ketchup" aroma and / or taste comes from the natural fermentation of unstoved / non flue curded Virginias that are aged in cakes.

Very similar to "Dark Star", I like it and I like the price.

I agree with reviewer, "DK 03/22/2012 ", it's got to be dryed , but I also agree with reviewer, "scottyspipesebay 06/23/2012" don't overdue the microwave or prep, when it's right, it's 4 stars

II Stormy II Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
II Stormy II (14)
Medium None Detected Mild Unnoticeable

(personal preference is dark/aged tobaccos in flakes or kakes in a large chamber pipe)

Very enjoyable smoke. I love the darker McClelland blends, so this is a personal favorite of mine. I use either cube cut (1/4") gravity packed or vertical unbroken flake allowing room for expansion. I rarely dry my flakes out like most people and find this blend to be a very pleasurable smoke using either of the aforementioned loading methods (without any drying). Takes a few charring lights to get started with both methods. Great blend and a nice cool smoke. I would have given a 4 star rating but it is not my absolute favorite.

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

I'm pretty sure McCranie's New Bedford is this bulk blend rebranded, and this was my review. I'm going to revisit it in the next couple days, and will add any new thoughts.

Wavered a bit between two and three stars while smoking this, and smoked three bowls on different days before reviewing it. It does look a lot like the picture of McClelland 2035; dark, thin flakes in varying degrees of falling apart. I have been in McCranie's several times, being originally from Charlotte, and though they do a lot of blending, I don't believe they press their own flakes. It is a small shop in the middle of a shopping center parking lot. They have done rebranded McClellands in the past. This is tasty, but my main problem with it is that it gives me some bite when I puff it hard, as I tend to do with these mellow stoved Virginias. It is not as forgiving as Dark Star or Esoterica Stonehaven (though I believe that one is a VABUR). I liked it better at the end of the bowl, when I could get the flavor I needed from smaller sips. This blend left some unsmokeable dottle at the very end, but that is not too much of a problem. Reasonably priced.

Yeah, not bad. Like easier to break up, cleaner burning Dark Star, but I think Dark Star is better. This may be easier to smoke than Dark Star, but it is easier to overdo it. I don't know-I do prefer the lighter Virginias.

Dr. Scott Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dr. Scott (82)

The expert at Ye Old B & M says this is Dark Star without the aging. I've never had the pleasure of Dark Star, so I approach this flake without preconceptions. I tried this several times over the summer, in different pipes with different degrees of rubbing or drying.

Pros: inexpensive, slow burning, and a very pleasant room note.

Cons: Extremely difficult to prepare, requiring extensive rubbing and drying to make it smokeable. Tastes overcooked or burnt, with no depth or complexity. Burns hot and can bite badly. Produces a lot of condensation which is very bitter. Not very sweet for a Virginia flake.

Bottom line: good tobacco, like good wine or beer, is seldom cheap. Spend a little more for McClelland's Blackwoods Flake and don't waste your time or money on this inferior bulk product.

rramstad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rramstad (115)

This review is based on limited tasting. I do find the blender description accurate. There is a zesty flavor in there, but mostly it tastes of very high quality stoved Virginia. I do get a bit of spiciness, and a bit of mouth fatigue from it, but on the whole, it's minor. I used a small hand held grinder to break up the flakes, which seemed to work well. I also let it dry out quite a bit initially before using the grinder. I am trying all of the bulk McClelland offerings to see if I like any of them other than 5100 and 2015, and so far, this is one of the best of the other Virginia blends. I can't give it four stars because it isn't Union Square, or Old Gowrie.

Meisterlowin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Meisterlowin (16)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I've smoked this flake off and on over the years and consistently enjoyed it. It's just a nice smoke that never disappoints. Not terribly complex but it sure goes well with a cup of strong black coffee.

Like a nice "B movie." A lightly stoved, dark-flaked Virginia. Sweet-smelling in the pouch and I never detected the ketchup smell. My bulk sample was on the drier side which was a good thing as DNF took to the match readily with a minimum of re-lights. A mildly pungent, mildly Virginia-sweet smoke. I didn't detect any casing or top note with this one. Although never a regular in my rotation - nor in my Virginia line-up - whenever the mood did strike, I was never disappointed. It seemed to go best in a smaller-bowled pipe. An "old reliable" 3 star smoke.

Pipe-billed Grebe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe-billed Grebe (18)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Update: I hereby repent me of the cardinal sin of Greenhorn Reviewers: reviewing a blend on only one bowl. For penance I will smoke three bowls of Deacon's Downfall and five bowls of Presbyterian. I was just so impressed with that first bowl... DNF can indeed be briney and boring, but it can also be as wonderful as I claimed below (I've also noticed notes of licorice and wood). Like the sea itself, unpredictable; beautiful and treacherous in turns. I suppose this is the lack of refinement as compared to Dark Star noted by other more knowledgeable reviewers. Still, recommended as I certainly think it worth the $2/oz I paid for it. Original review follows:

I spotted Dark Navy Flake in a jar at my local B&M, looking and smelling like thin strips of leather soaked in tar. My experience with flakes, limited though it may be, was enough to assure me that this is not a bad thing by any means. I bought me some and rubbed some out and stuffed it in a trusty I-talian billiard, my patience being insufficient to await a drying-out period. It took a few passes with the ol' Prometheus to get her going, but once that flame was enkindled, blow me down, maties. Ain't nothing wrong with this salty sea lass a little drying wouldn't fix.

Rich, sweet, spicy, cool; notes of molasses and spice (cinnamon maybe); good good good all the way down. I've had several more favorably reviewed tabacs that left me high and dry, whereas DNF had me sailing the savory seas. I will definitely buy some more to age in jars. If this is Dark Star's lesser little sister, as intimated by prior reviewers, I am afraid to try Dark Star lest I smoke myself into the poorhouse/early grave.

bryantm3 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bryantm3 (29)
Mild Medium Very Mild Tolerable

Got this from a fresh bag at my local tobacconist. Wet, it tastes like ketchup all the way down the bowl, even moreso than other McClelland blends. It smells like ketchup to everyone else, too. After two days of drying, it tastes like ketchup, but there is a note of a very mild burley virginia blend underneath it. If you smoke it slowly and nurse it, it's not terrible, but whatever natural tobacco taste is there, it's entirely overshadowed by the pungent taste of the vinegar that they add to it. If you can get this stuff to work for you, more power to you, but this has got to be the most briny tasting McClelland blend I've tried. They've got some good stuff out there like 5100, but this isn't one of them.

PipenGuitar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PipenGuitar (15)

If you puff on this just right (modest pipe "sipping"), you get a wonderful sweetness that I haven't experienced with any other tobacco. I let it dry out for about one and half - two hours. For me, smoking this in a larger pipe oddly, 2035 tastes better.

Fly ticky Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fly ticky (26)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Extra Full Very Pleasant

This is my every day smoke.It floats my boat.It does take some drying but not more than about four hrs.On a scale of one to ten I give it a nine.Been puffen on it for two yrs.or so.Soon time to order another five lbs.Ok thats my two cents.

Tin Man Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tin Man (14)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Unnoticeable

Mclelland 2035 dark navy flake. I use a sort of fold and roll method to fill the pipe ( a cob) so the flake is sort of an endwise bundle in the pipe, and rough up the top to light. This takes some effort, and the smoke is on the pale side early bowl. I believe I have to relight three or four times at first. Once I hit mid bowl, though, it starts to burn quite well. The flavor is light, but engaging, obviously virginia. Pale sweetness, midrange spicy tobacco, with walnut and citrus notes. Lingering aftertaste I don?t much care for is the only negative. This is an excellent pick for driving or working outside.

catdaddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
catdaddy (18)
Mild to Medium Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

I was excited to load up after getting a whiff of this tobacco but the payoff wasn't all I expected. It starts off well enough but then flattened out after about 5 minutes. Very mild taste.

Jeremy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jeremy (19)

This is a bit hard to prepare, either folding or rubbing out, and a challenge to get lit. However, once lit it smokes beautifully, down to a nice ash. The smell is incredible out of the jar. The middle 1/3 of the pipe is the best, I think, but the taste is good throughout the bowl. I find it has its best taste when I don't rub it out, but pack my bowl by folding the flakes up. I am not sure why that is.

This is a very nice smoke, I recommend if you like VA or flakes or both, get yourself some of this and try it both rubbed out and folded. It's a treat.

Zone Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Zone Smoke (199)

This is a very good smoke and an even better blending component. Thick, dark flakes that rub out easily. burns slow and tastes smooth. Great in a large pipe for a long smoke, but better as a belnding component along with burley and latakia.

flaminbill' Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flaminbill' (57)
Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

After just finishing up a disappointing tin of Old Gowrie, I will give 2035 3 stars by default. It is far sweeter tasting and gets better around the middle of the bowl. The only advantage that Old Gowrie has over 2035 is that it burns better.

It is not fair to compare these two blends though as they have nothing in common.

Over time, I could see 2035 becoming a 4 star blend in my rotation. It is sweet, rich and doesn't scorch my tongue.

I am partial to lemon leaf and having it stoved is a pleasant change of pace.

Yes, it is somewhat difficult to work with, but it is worth the effort.

As for being the same as Dark Star only in bulk, I don't know that I totally agree with that notion. But I do like them both and give a slight edge to Dark Star.

ThChrMn Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ThChrMn (7)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

It really does not rub out it just kind of breaks up into small chunks. Currently, smoking this in cob and it taste pretty good. Lemony, vinegar with short lingering after taste.

Burns hot and wet with no tongue bite. I'm still searching for my ultimate smoke.

bighitter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bighitter (37)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Oh my, oh my, I love this stuff. I read a little interview with the McClelland peoples and they choose their tobacco by smoking it before they even cure it and selecting only the leaves that "leave no aftertaste." They then cure it, stove it, do their magic until the tobacco's natural sugars and such come out and the tobacco is mellowed by at least "two summer sweats." They compared tobacco to peppers, which are harsh and biting in their raw forms, but are completely transformed by smoking and aging, drying, etc.

Anyway, these guys are geniuses and their tobaccos are the best I have tried. They are sweet, nutty, clean (no aftertaste, which is a criteria that I notice more and more these days), and just satisfying. This one smokes much much better after rubbing out and drying a bit. Actually, I've dried it up to overnight with great results, but even half an hour will help this tobacco. Again, right now this is my favorite, right ahead of McClelland's Blackwoods Flake and their Classic Virginia, in that order.

couple of months later... (wwha whha wwha, or that sound on I Love Lucy, the trombone?)

this is not my favorite tobacco any longer, and I guess I'm going to have to take a star off my previously enthusiastic rating. Perhaps, looking back at the McClellands, this is just as good, and I'll give it a three star, but sometimes, I'd like to say, something just goes south and leaves you going, does this taste like that? A couple of puffs later generally you're back on track, and maybe I've oversmoked this stuff as it has been my thing. I'll take a break, and move on for a while, give it another chance later. Is this a review or a journal? Hmm...

Redneck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Redneck (15)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Tolerable

#2035 bulk is a twin of Dark Star. It has tang & spice with dark undertones. Hard to rub out but burns well & priced great compared to Dark Star. DGT is a bit harsh.

loosewatches Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
loosewatches (108)
Strong None Detected Full Very Pleasant

The fact that so many incredible tobaccos are available in bulk, at great prices, keeps the number of tins in my rotation at a bare minimum. Maybe 5%. 2035 is a good example. I think this is basically Dark Star Bulk. Except: 2035 is slightly sweeter, more rounded, and simply tastier. Also, it's a little stronger in nicotine, my good friend. It's not often that a blend brings me to sweat, but this one can, just a little, and that can be a good thing. I'm not going to try to blow smokey poetry at you, this blend speaks for itself. Try it.

Dark Navy Flake is a rich, once a day treat for me at most, just because I rarely have enough time to give it full attention.

Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

Strange tobacco: it looks like the Dark Star, it smells like the Dark Star, it rubs and packs like the Dark Star....and smokes light years from the Dark Star! This one too is a quintessential McClelland Virginia, but it lacks the deepness, class and refinement of the Personal Reserve one (but has the ketchup). Mind you, if the Dark Star is tinned and costs the double there must be a reason! However, this is a good way to pass an hour, though it could be more interesting; a bit monochromatic but a nice companion for an all day smoke if you like those classic Kansas City Virginias. One star more for its beautiful burning characteristics: no need to relight, dry, cool...Absolutely no trouble to the end of the bowl

Hemlock Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hemlock (57)
Medium None Detected Full Strong

how unique a hobby we have, such that we break up what appear to be shards of leather or bark into a bowl of briar. How I love the unique textures and subtleties of pipe tobacco.

This is a true tobacco, with a gentle, bite-less virginia tang. Builds through the bowl, with hints of citrus amongs plumes of smoke. It has the wonderful McClelland acidity correlated to the typical aroma many ascribe to ketchup--a good thing!. Rub the flakes a little, stuff the bowl, then top with a heavily rubbed top layer for a good even light.

It reaches a crescendo at midbowl. Due to the stoving, it's a bassy blend with very few high notes that one expects from bright virginias. Does not fatigue the senses. As with many virginias you must draw on the pipe gently to understand the appeal. Funny how many complain about "hot" blends, never considering that both the smoking method and the blend must be synchronous to judge a tobacco fairly, and understand its merits. Although it doesn't stand out amongst the crowd of legendary blends, this is definitely recommended to non-aromatic smoker.

zulujerk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zulujerk (134)
Very Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I've been trying to get through a one ounce sample of 2035 for almost a year now, and thank the Gods, it's finally gone. Do not let the dark thick flakes fool you. This stuff is exceedingly mild. In my opinion, 2035 also lacks any distinguishing flavor. It's like eating steamed vegetables. On the positive side, it burns cool, but you might have problems packing and lighting, due to the nature of the flakes. Looks better than it tastes, that's my final say on 2035.

One and a half of Four.

ajaj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ajaj (69)

Smoke this baby in a large cob! There is a wonderful sweetness to 2035 which has hints of berries when hit correctly; usually after DGT. This is a nice second or third smoke of the day (don't ask me why; it just is), about mid-morning. I rank 2035 up there as the best DGT smoke with SG FVF, SG BBF, and 2015. Dry 2035 out a bit as it can arrive moist. Don't expect to bowled over, but expect a solid smoke with an unbeatable occasional sweetness. The McKethup smell isn't too overpowering, but it is there.

smoker390 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smoker390 (36)

I rate this weed as one of my top matured VA flake blends. In agreement with previous reviews it is a bit milder than I usually like, but the flavor has an extra element not usually found in ths type of blend. I'd have to call it a leathery-earthy flavor. The thing I like most is that the flavor increases about mid-bowl. Most blends of this genre start off at their best, then go more sour and less citrus like at mid to end of the bowl. Though not the VA powerhouse, I still give it a 4-star because of its complexity and consistency from start to finish.

traveler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
traveler (40)

Although primarily a smoker of lighter Virginia blends, this was my first foray into dark, stoved Virginia flakes.

The cut is something akin to what a Chinese chef with the DT's and a meat cleaver might do with your leather belt. Stuffing the resulting chunks down the bowl and applying a match,or two... or four, finally resulted in getting the lumpy tobacco going. Things improved from there, however.

2035 smokes with some sweetness and little bite but with a dominant overlay of fermented, baked tobacco. Like a freshly baked heavy yeast bread that has been just a bit over-done. To this, I could detect no added flavoring or other complexity. Not bad really, and certainly better than store-bought, but you wish someone had pulled it out of the oven a bit sooner when it was still golden brown and buttery.

Not an unpleasant tobacco, but not worth a return visit.

DUPE.1512 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

This is Darkstar in bulk form, just not aged as long as the tins.

Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

If you can get past the probable tongue-bite caused by trying to get this to light, you will find a very nice straight Virginia flake. This smoked nicely in a large Canadian. Probably won't impress the significant other with the somewhat strong odor. A good outdoor smoke.

bigjonburley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bigjonburley (64)

I believe this to be a quality VA. Dark-stoved and earthy, this VA has a bold essence that ventures slightly into the realm of sweet. Once lit this tobacco burns consistantly but leaves alot of residue in the plumbing of your pipe. I love this VA because I find it to be almost biteless, even when I smoke it agressively.

During the stoving process, alot of the natural sugars seem to remain in the tobacco. I believe that this accounts for some of the sweet/smokey textures that are present, while smoking. All in all I believe that this is a quality bulk navy flake. I have two lbs. in the cellar to hopefully ripen into what will be a wonderful treat for the future. Like most VA's well aged stock takes on a totally different demeanor that its original.

This blend looks and smells much stronger than it smokes and to me, is a true VA. No casing, just a nice flake that has been stoved/pressed so much that it is jet black, almost oily and somewhat difficult to rub out. This makes for a tough initial charring light but once lit, it's pretty easy to keep going. The taste is not as strong as other 'navy' flakes that I've tried but is rich and tasty. Some may judge the taste as flat compared to others but this is what I enjoy and I find it fuller that most straight VAs. Without a hint of bite, it smokes cool and burns to an even ash. In a large bowl, you can relax with this blend for hours. I'll always have some of this one around.

Dizzy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dizzy (13)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

A deeply dark and rich tobacco available at a great price in bulk. The smoke is has a dense carmel-like quality to it and is very satisfying. But 2035 is simply too labor intensive to be something I smoke regularly. It is packed as such a dense, moist flake that it takes a long time to get it to the right humidity level, and even then its denseness makes it difficult to light evenly. But once you get it burning evenly--oh mama!, it's a fine smoke. It's just that I can't get that even, slow burn going until about half way down the bowl. For me, it compares nicely to Marlin Flake with the molassis note that remains coy there being bombastic here. Again, I really like 2035, but she just demands more work than I like to give. 2035 is like that girlfriend with whom the conversations are good, the sex is mind-altering, but she wants to talk everyday on the phone for hours and make plans for the holidays 9 months in advance. Sorry 2035, your one fine lady but I'm just not ready for that kind of commitment.

accunlmtd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
accunlmtd (3)
Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I have read and enjoyed the above reviews. But I have a different take.

I had the utmost pleasure in popping the seal on an 11 year old tin, and I got to say...PLEASURE indeed. Everything you have heard about aging virginias, is so true...WOW!!

Comparing this and the new stuff would be like comparing a Porsche and a Mercedes. Both will do 150+. But the Porsche requires your full attention, else you will end up in the ditch. Whereas the MB, lets you settle back, set the cruise control, and enjoy the ride.

The smoke was pure heaven, smooth, rich and sweet. Tongue Bite - zip, zero, zilch.

The can contents was deep, black and slightly damp. Dryer than most McClellands. Took a few extra lights to get it rolling, but then....Whoa. What an experience.

If you ever get a chance to experience some decade old virginia, especially some that is stoved and pressed. It will be an experience that will not forget.

KC-al

chaplikc Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
chaplikc (135)

Alot of people suggest that this is the bulk version of dark star and I would have to agree with them. The only differance is that this does not seem to be aged as long and seems to be not quite as uniform as dark star in the flakes cut. Neither one of these factors bother me because I generally rub out the flakes at least partially anyway and I always like to age my tobacco as well. This is highly recomended and is a very good value tobacco. Buy some and age it a while, very tasty!

Aldo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Aldo (31)

All in all, this is a decent Virginia smoke. It takes a bit of work to get going.

In comparison to the other bulk McClellands, such as 2010 and 2015, I found this to be somewhat more subtle, with more of a citrus-like tanginess to it.

Really not bad at all but frankly I enjoy both 2010 and 2015 more. But it is certainly worth a try if you enjoy this genre.

DUPE.629 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

November-2003.Bulk No.2035 Dark Navy Flake. Well after hearing so much about this tobacco,I was extremely excited to be able to finally try it.Though it's not to bad at all,it did not thrill me.Honestly,I can't see what the fuss is all about.It light's easily enough & is fairly well behaved & didn't leave any goop at all.Maybe a good blend if you enjoy a beer or stout while smoking.You could do alot worse.

prison chaplain Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
prison chaplain (38)

Looking at this tobacco in the pouch reminds me of dark, earthy things. I recall pictures of Irish farmers cutting blocks of peat from the old sod of mother Ireland. I see rich, heavy top soil. The scent in the pouch is also rich, heavy and earthy. I remember walking behind the plow as my father plowed a field, seeing the rich bottom land sliced and rolling over into furrows.

This is a very interesting, evocative tobacco. It does come rather moist. Drying a bit does benefit 2035. It has an unusual consistency, rubbing it out is a little different. Obtaining a good burn in the bowl does take a little work.

Smoked, to my palate,it yields, not suprisingly, a rich, earthy, dark taste. The smoke it yields is in itself pleasant to the nose. It does produce "gurgle" and the residue on the pipe cleaner is quite foul. On occasion, I have added a little Perique and found that to have a nice effect.

I do intend to smoke this from time to time. My mainstay will continue to be Virginia/Perique flake. However, this is a very nice tobacco in its own right. And bought in bulk it is a bargain. michiganmike4msuatjunodotcom

ADDENDUM: About a year has past since I saw the last of my #2035. And in that year I have not not missed it, nor thought of purchasing more. My actions speak more loudly and truly than my previous words. I did not enjoy it enough, evocative as it is, to buy more. Based on this, I am going to lower my previous "smoke on occasion" to "might try again, but will not keep on hand."

Checkmate Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Checkmate (23)

My tobacconist brought out a bulk bag of what looked like grass clippings that have been soaked in tar and cut into flakes. Is this tobacco? I thought to myself, or an unholy union twixt tobacco and road paver. I took a smell and lo, only the smell of sweet sweet Virginia! Rubbing this tobacco out is a challenge to be sure as the texture is more like caulk than tobacco, but once you've got it to the right consistancy and have it in your pipe this is a great tocbacco for all occasions. McCleland's must have a great fermenting process for this one because the natural flavour and sweetness of the tobacco comes through all the way to the bottom of the bowl. The tobacco burns long and cool and if rubbed out well enough will smoke to the heel of the bowl with no problems. I highly reccomend this tobacco to anyone who even half enjoys a good Virginia. As with many Virginais this tobacco only improves with age, but is also a great smoke right over the counter.

Inquisitor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Inquisitor (155)

Incredible stuff. Bulk form of Dark Star (need I say more). At $20 a pound, heck, for any price, this stuff is as good as it gets. I've got two pounds stocked away, because as good as it is, aging makes it even better.

Tbombadil Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tbombadil (11)

2035 is an interesting blend. Said by most to be a bulk version of McC's Dark Star it is a serious flake. The description says that it's stoved and pressed under heavy pressure. It must have something done to it because the flakes have the general consistancy of shoe leather.

Generally I rub this one out (rip apart is more like it) just partially and sort of stuff the bowl with the pieces. It can be a bit tough to get lit but once it's going it's just a wonderful full bodied example of what a Virginia should be.

Like the rest of the McC bulks it is rather green and fairly moist when first purchased. As such it benefits hugely from a few months aging. I try and stay far enough ahead on my purchasing to be smoking year old stuff when at all possible. That can be a bit of a hassle but to get this quality smoke for $20/lb. a little hassle is well worth it.