This is a plesant, rather light, broken, small-flake tobacco composed of lemon Brazilian and orange Middle Belt leaf seasoned with enough Xanthi to be satisfying throughout the day.

Blended ByMcClelland Tobacco Company
Manufactured ByMcClelland Tobacco Company
Blend TypeVirginia Based
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia
Strength
Taste

Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I love this bulk blend! Loaded with zesty and tangy Lemon Virginia and the sweet, spicy background taste of Xanthia (a favorite Oriental of mine), to combine for a depth, sweetness and spice to tingle the spine!

Pipestud

I don't typically review tobaccos that I've only smoked an ounce of unless they are so lacking in depth and complexity that anyone could figure them out easily, or so wonderful that they end up in my steady rotation. Neither was the case with this blend, but I did smoke it with various degrees of moisture and with different techniques. I should say, however, that I do not know how this will age.

The first 1/3 of my first pipeful had me saying "wow!". The Xanthi was very prominent in the flavor and I love non-latakia oriental blends. The Xanthi was the major player in the first 1/3 of each pipeful I smoked. Unfortunately, it fizzled shortly thereafter, and the virginias did not pick up the slack. The VA's were neither sweet nor complex, and the smoke did not develop down the bowl. Rather, it just became bland - very much unlike normal McClelland matured virginias. I had no problems with tongue bite. The burn was ok once it got going and this blend improved with some drying time, as do most VA's. But the improvement was negligible. Overall, this tobacco simply does not have enough personality or flavor and is a waste of time after that first 1/3 bowl.

This blend has been good but not great. I have tried it in different bowl types - pot, tall/narrow, etc. looking for a magic combo, and it has eluded me. I smoked it rubbed out.

I will have no problem finishing the 4 oz or so I got. It is soft and fairly mild in terms of strength and flavor. There is a sour, tangy, spicy quality to the orientals. The cavendish processing and the Virginia give it a mellow, slightly sweet taste. It ought to work better than it does for me, but this is a 2.5. I will smoke up what I have with no regrets, but I am not likely to buy more. It is pleasant and a good smoke. It just does not punch enough buttons at this price point.

FWIW, I claim there is no black cavendish in this blend.

Edit: I have experimented with different pipes, etc. with this blend because I expected to like it more than I have. I have had the best luck with completely rubbing it out - to the point that there are no more hunks of flake. Prepared ths way in a tapered bowl sees to give the best smoke.

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)

Appearance: Mostly medium red, orange and brown, with traces of dark and light leaf. Small flakes of moderate thickness, mostly broken (common to most bulk blends).

Aroma: Sweet yeasty aroma of matured Virginia, trace of vinegar to let you know it?s a McClelland blend. The tand dissipates with a little airing out.

Packing: In larger pipes, folding the larger pieces into a roll works fine. For smaller pipes, I need to rub the flakes out. Fairly typical flake in this regard.

Lighting: Takes a charring light well. A few puffs, some tamping and a relight has it going at a good pace.

Initial flavor: Lots of taste right from the start. All the elements I expect in a McC Va. are there. Good mixture of high and low notes, with a little spicy and nutty note from the Xanthi. Good layering of tastes at the top of the bowl.

Mid-bowl: Continues to delight the palate with a range of flavors, The Oriental is subtle but noticeable. Stays cool at the right pace, stays lit well, and smokes dry.

Finish: A bit more strength at the end, but not objectionable. Clean gray ash, no soggy mess.

Summary: A real delight, comparable to many tinned blends at much higher prices. I should cellar a pound or two for a year (or more) to see how well it ages. I suspect it will be extraordinary.

Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

I kind of side with reviewer DK on this one in that this blend, while not bad, just does nothing to really stand out. It is an enjoyable smoke with Virginia and Oriental. I am not sure if both of these leaves are Cavendish treated or if it is just one. It is pretty weak in nicotine content. I think that in this style of blend, I would rather smoke some Sail Yellow than this blend. I would also much prefer McClellands own Virginia Number 24 which is not a Cavendish blend, but a great Virginia/oriental blend.

Still I think there is plenty of people that would like this blend as it is a real cool smoker and extremely easy on the tongue. I could really see smoking this when doing tasks that completely distract you from your smoking pipe. A lot of times when this happens I unconsciously increase my smoking tempo. This blend would be great for that as it will not bite you, nor will it ground you with nicotine. And for all the ketchup haters, yes that smell is present, but it is more subdued in this blend IMO.

Jorge Soler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jorge Soler (129)

Just to say that I have been lucky enough to get 1oz of this tobacco before McCleland closed down for business. Shame. The Oriental leaf really sticks out in this presentation. It is slightly sour, but with a very noticeable spicy profile at the same time. Also, the virginia leaf feels properly aged and is good quality, and the inclusion of unsweetened black cavendish, I dare to say, rounds everything up thickening the smoking experience. That is to say these flakes are quite Oriental forward, but the lack of Latakia is not missed. The slightly sweet notes do come from the virginia leaf it contains whereas the Cavendish sort of adds a creamy dimension fulfilling that vacuum the exclusion of Latakia might leave behind. As an overall statement, I'd say the whole package is quite solid, consistent and properly thought out, though I am not overtly excited, so a rating of 3 stars seems appropriate.

Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

McClelland - No. 2025 English Cavendish.

Well, this couldn't be any more different to what the name implied! The name Cavendish instantly led me to expect a trip down the sweet/honey/too much vanilla road, but there's a load more actual tobacco traits building the flavour than falseness alone.

The flakes are quite thick and not too broken apart. The colour's a dark brown and the moisture's good. I like my flakes' fairly well rubbed so have to give them a little extra work to achieve the consistency that suits me.

I find No. 2025 needs a jet flame for the charring light, my standard flame's fine for general maintenance touches, but for initiation it needs plenty of power. The first flavour to leap out at me isn't what I'd expect from a Cavendish blend, and to be straight, I don't like it: it's a kind of aniseed sourness. The Virginia sweetens the profile, as does the Black Cavendish, this could save the blend from a low rating, and to be fair, the acrid spiciness from the start isn't pervasive for the whole bowl long; it fades away once the burn's been established. The smoke also becomes more zesty as the burn progresses: lemony and sharper.

The nicotine's mild to medium and the room-note's a little too much.

I said the sweetness could save this from a low rating, but sadly even though this raises it up a notch, tongue bite reduces it again. I'll often let that that go, but it's just so damn severe I can only give #2025 two stars.

Somewhat recommended.

Pipe Used: Levent Meerschaum Claw

William H. Hardy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
William H. Hardy (76)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

Possibly my favorite of the McClelland 2000 series, this Virginia/Oriental blend has a great deal of flavor and a good bit of complexity. The Virginias are top-notch and the Xanthi adds a bit of something else that keeps it interesting all the way to the bottom.

I do have to state that this is much better aged than fresh. I have had it fresh and have found it very boring, but if you keep it for at least six months it becomes fantastic. The aging brings out the sweetness of the Virginias and allows the Xanthi to marry more fully. Also, note that English Cavendish is comprised of steamed and fermented Virginias, rather than the steamed and pressed burley that American pipers may be more familiar with. This is no typical American Cavendish. It's so much more.

Great stuff, at least in my opinion. I'm not sure why it has such a low rating on here, especially with the Virginia crowd. At any rate, it's definitely worth trying and you might actually find that you love it.

4/18/2017 - Edit: I still love this stuff. I still visit it often and enjoy it each time. I still stand by my judgment that it must be aged for a while, but it's a wait well worth it.

Pipe Used: Mark Tinsky Billiard and a Kaywoodie Apple

Age When Smoked: Age it at least 6 months!

This is a good smoke. The sour note of the Xanthi plays off the sweet note of the Virginias and the combined spice of all the components gives it a fine nose tingle. Not the most complex of blends, but it holds my interest to the end.

Mild to medium in both flavor and body. Needs a little drying time. Burns well. Smokes smooth.

Pipe Used: MM Country Gentleman, MM Mark Twain

Age When Smoked: fresh bulk

PeterD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PeterD (91)
Mild Very Mild Medium Pleasant

...this "English Cavendish is a pleasant, rather light, broken, small flake tobacco made with lemon Brazilian and orange Middle Belt leaf seasoned with enough Xanthi to be satisfying throughout the day without becoming tiresome to the smoker"... straight from McClelland and I couldn't agree more...

I've smoked this off & on since the late '70's and it is indeed one of my "go to" tobaccos...fairly straight-forward as a tobacco and not overly complex...yet interesting enough that I've never become bored with it.

If a Virginia flake is what you enjoy...this is worth a try to keep things interesting...an all day smoke for me, I enjoy it whenever, especially in the morning with hot tea...and at night with a fine single malt...

Pipe Used: gp 3-4 size

Age When Smoked: 2-4 years...

½ bowl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
½ bowl (99)

I think 2025 is a rather unremarkable smoke: hot and edgy rather than zesty, and prone to bite despite the most careful technique. The Oriental Xanthi leaf produces a nice musty/gamey taste, especially in the finish (aftertaste). Overall it is a grassy Va that is somewhat sweet, but doesn't develop any caramel goodness. It improves during the smoke, but the initial 20 minutes is an exercise in nursing the burn to avoid bite.

The Cavendish in the name must refer to the cut rather than the processing as I do not detect any tastes that are characteristic of Cavendish-processed tobacco.

I got best results by slowly breath-sipping on a clear palate. It's not an after dinner smoke. I enjoyed it a little more by letting the pipe go completely cold after about 10 minutes, then savoring the re-light, which holds a cigar-like smoothness that fades to smoky nothingness by bowl's end.

Reasonable nicotine hit; excellent burning properties. The bite in this blend keeps it from getting 2 stars.

NONSUMDIGNUS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NONSUMDIGNUS (11)
Mild None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

Broken flake rubs out good and stays lit pretty well. There is only a subtle hint of anykind of cavendish and it's barely detectable at all. There's better tobaccos out there but this one wasn't bad.

Darth 69 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth 69 (107)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

This is very excellent McCelland. An extremely harmonious blended broken flake of oriental and virginias. What makes this blend cavendish I have no idea. I think this is even better than the brown tin counterpart. A little of that vinegar tang in pouch aroma with light natural virginia sweetness, light spicy, nutty and a little "funky" oriental character that is wonderful!

Recommended

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)
Extremely Mild None Detected Very Mild Very Pleasant

"Cavendish" is a method of treating tobacco, not a type of tobacco.

"English Cavendish" uses a dark flue- or fire-cured Virginia which is steamed and then stored under pressure, and left to cure and ferment for several days to several weeks. When done well, it can be fine stuff. Its Englishness consists of the fact that it is not cased: i.e., no flavourings are administered to the natural tobacco. The English Cavendish method, then, is a way of altering the flavour of the tobacco, without added flavourings.

English Cavendish is produced out of Virginia tobacco under high pressure. This will give you a dark-hued, "black" tobacco. Well-known English Cavendish blends would be Rattray's Dark Fragrant and Black Virginia.

McClelland's is a fairly good example of the breed, light and delicate?if you can smoke it SLOWLY.

In conclusion, allow me to say that an English blend is not synonymous with a Latakia blend. All "English" means is: UNcased?because the laws of the United Kingdom, until 1986, forbade any and all casings, and permitted only the lightest alcohol-solved toppings. A pure Virginia flake, with or without a light "shaving soap" topping, Virginia & Périque blends such as Escudo or Three Nuns?these are English-style tobaccos, even though they contain no Latakia.

Jacinto Cupboard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jacinto Cupboard (180)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Not actually an English Cavendish, but quite literally a mix of an English blend, Va and Orientals, with the McC Black Cavendish. I do not like this plum flavoured black Cav and the three blends I have now smoked that contain it I have found vile.

This is a crossover blend that fills a niche that will remain a total mystery to me. If you feel the need to smoke a fruit flavoured English, then this is your ride.

I am astonished by reviewers who have marked this as unflavoured or not containing Cavendish at all.

Edit Jan 2018 I came back to this after 2 months and initially thought I had not reviewed it because it wasn't like anything I thought I had tried recently. I can only say that this tobacco had been tainted in packing or transit by the Cavendishes I had ordered with it. Two months later and all trace of that nasty aroma has dissipated. I am pleased to say I entirely misjudged this baccy and my earlier notes can be dismissed as total bollocks.

It still isn't a particularly good tobacco imo. It is a rather ordinary Va blend spiced with Orientals. I'm STILL not sure how this can be properly called either an English or a Cavendish and I still think it lacks interest. But upping my rating to 2 stars out of reconsideration and fairness.

I learnt a lesson here. Never order bulk aromatics in the same delivery as other genres.

steppx Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
steppx (152)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

of the three popular McClelland bulk blends..dark navy flake, 2015 and this.....this is probably the least successful. However that doesnt mean its not good. Its just a bit less balanced and the flavor is less consistent. But its got quality virginia (its mcclelland after all) and the oriental is pretty mild and in the background. Its the poor man's version of Pebblecut in a sense. I like it but its not something I smoke nearly as often as 2015 or dark navy flake.

Purchased From: 4noggins

anglocatholicpiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
anglocatholicpiper (17)

I really enjoy this Va/oriental flake. After consistently smoking pure Va or Burley flakes the last few weeks, this blend is a welcoming and refreshing change. Probably not something I will smoke every day, but when I reach for it needing a change of pace, it won't let me down!

Pipe Used: Many

Age When Smoked: Fresh and 4mths

Purchased From: Smokingpipes

crazy owl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
crazy owl (72)

Fine stuff.Typical Mc Clelland Va flake tamed with the soft and sweet but not quite flavourful brazilian leaf,and last but not least,a wonderful macedonian touch.Splendid blend,full matured and in bulk at a very reasonable price.Perfect in big bowls.Without,perhaps,the refinement of ,for instance,Presbyterian or Royalty,but more solid.In the non so wide field of pure,Latakialess,Va-Or mayhaps the best.

Pipe Used: everyone

Purchased From: smokingpipes

Similar Blends: McC 24,Presbyterian.

albfneto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
albfneto (184)
Very Strong Medium to Strong Overwhelming Tolerable to Strong

The cut of this mixture is different. Is a flake cut, but mixed with Broken Flakes... Despite their broken flake cut, it is easy to fit in bowl and light.

Two Stars, because This mixture is not so bad, but is not for me....

In the pouch, the smell is good, but acidic, rassembles vinegar.

Large Nicotine ammount, too much for me... during Smoking, the smoke have much tobacco taste, too strong to become boring, overhelmed, after a few puffs, no smell ou taste can be more noted...

Not remarkable, many mixtures are better.

The Dark Cavendish tobacco component is,possible, is made from Burley, because "salty" (as table salt) and bitter tastes are noted, in the begin of the bowl. After this, the smoking becomes overhelmed, no more taste and smell are noted.

Pipe Used: some brazilian , Ranieri and a Big-Ben

Burn = 9

After Taste = 8

Raw Score = 48

Rated Percentage = 80%

Comment = Smooth, Mild, nice full Flavor, a lot of BTU's needed to ignite, white ash burn, 2025 is the best blend of the McCelland 2000 series

Hemlock Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hemlock (60)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Good outdoor tobacco. No real cavendish element as we know it from cased and steamed burley in aromatics. Has the McClelland tang. Bought bulk at local tobacconist and burned fine from start to end in a XL Savinelli full bent. No gimmicks here. Just tabbakah. ______________________________

Update 06-18-06

After having let this sit in a mason jar for a few months, and adjusting the moisture content by allowing air drying through an afternoon, I am upgrading this blend to a highly recommended. Drying is the key to "getting it" as it seems to be with so many other flakes.

The flavour is wonderfully spicy and has leathery, dried fruit notes including prunes and figs. Interestingly, it tastes similar to the virginia in Orlik's Dark Kentucky Flakes and Capstan. I also found some nuances similar to S.G. Full Virginia Flake. I am not able to discern the contribution of each type of leaf in this blend, but it works.

If you like the 2035 or Darkstar but enjoy having some bright leaf to add zing, I highly recommend this to you.

dualkarnain Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dualkarnain (75)

My mouth is scorched!

This tobacco tastes good although it's missing some medium-body that I appreciate in English blends.

The toasty virginia with the added Cav sweetness makes this somewhat unique but it still seems like it's missing something to me.

I am reminded of a neurotic zoologist dying of old age, having spent his life stalking exotic locales looking for the perfect rhino to hunt, kill and stuff. Never finding one, he retires from his journeys with a longing sigh.

zulujerk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zulujerk (145)

This was my first McClelland blend, and I ordered it as a one ounce sample on Outwesttobacco.com for one dollar (which is excellent by the way--you can get up to four of them with each order and they have quite a few bulk varieties to choose from--with negligible shipping costs).

I was intrigued by the many, many people who suggested McClelland 2000 series blends have a ketchup-like smell, and yes, they do--although I wouldn't describe it as such if I hadn't heard that comparison. I actually decided to order this because I was interested by the tin description, which marketed this blend as a "Lemon Brazilian" seasoned with Xanthi.

Like the reviewer before me, I'm not exactly certain why this qualifies as a Cavendish. It looks and smokes like a straight Virginia--with an uninspired taste..sugary, but not sweet like a cased Cavendish. I found it to burn very hot and work the tongue when smoked at a fast rate.

Not bad. But nothing remarkable.

Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I'm not sure what makes this an English, since there is no Latakia indicated or sensed. The typical McClelland pouch aroma emanates from partially rubbed out flakes that range from yellow to dark brown. Quite easy to pack and keep lit and a cool smoke if you take it slowly. The initial VA sweetness gives way to a spicy, richer and more intense taste from the Orientals but never becomes bitter or too strong. Although I find it more varied and interesting than some straight VAs, it's too sharp for an all day smoke.